Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL: 2015 Off-Season News and Soft Supple Balls Discussion Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 07:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
and Seahawks' PEDs?
It's only cheating if New England does it. Everyone else is just competing a little too enthusiastically.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:25 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
I mean, what I don't get why didn't Brady just fess up and say something like he thought it was not a big deal to lower the psi a bit and didn't think it was so serious? Let the NFL dole out a fine or even a 1-game suspension...be over it.

Something like that...?

Instead, play difficult and almost arrogant about it like he's above the NFL's rules and now...this. This is going to get ugly and drawn out. So yeah, I think he's an idiot. And deserves all the ridicule and mud-slinging his haters will throw his way.

This morning Bob Costas said more or less the same thing regarding the inflation of the balls. He said Brady should have said something like - "I like them on the lower end of the allowable limit, but if they were below that it has nothing to do with me."

I don't know the full nature of being uncooperative, but I did hear he refused to turn over "electronic communications." Keep in mind turning over your texts and e-mails means turning over ALL of your texts and e-mails not just those related to the investigation. So think about that for a minute. Forget about Brady and this whole thing - how many folks would want or be willing to turn over your texts and emails. To you wife/girlfriend/significant other, family, friends, contractors, business associates, etc........ Just something to think about.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by svtmike
It's only cheating if New England does it. Everyone else is just competing a little too enthusiastically.
Hmmmm - Ain't that the truth!!!
Old 05-12-2015, 08:14 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
and every team in the nfl's peds?
fifa.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3,594 Likes on 1,720 Posts
In all honesty the penalty doesn't match the crime.

The Wells report concluded Kraft and Bill had no knowledge of the situation, so why does the organization get fined 1mill and lose 2picks? The NFL said they used prior organizational issues aka spygate to determine a penalty. Brady had nothing to do with spygate and the organization had nothing to do with deflategate. So how can you relate the two?

If they want to suspend Brady for 4games whatever I'm done arguing that. The appeal should be very interesting if they get a neutral arbitrator.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:23 AM

Only one thing is true at this point - The whole story/drama is far from being over.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Brady's agent has been dropping some knowledge

Full statement from Tom Brady's agent Don Yee:

"The discipline is ridiculous and has no legitimate basis. In my opinion, this outcome was pre-determined; there was no fairness in the Wells investigation whatsoever. There is no evidence that Tom directed footballs be set at pressures below the allowable limits. In fact, the evidence shows Tom clearly emphasized that footballs be set at pressures within the rules. Tom also cooperated with the investigation and answered every question presented to him. The Wells Report presents significant evidence, however, that the NFL lacks standards or protocols with respect to its handling of footballs prior to games; this is not the fault of Tom or the Patriots. The report also presents significant evidence the NFL participated with the Colts in some type of pre-AFC Championship Game planning regarding the footballs. This fact may raise serious questions about the integrity of the games we view on Sundays. We will appeal, and if the hearing officer is completely independent and neutral, I am very confident the Wells Report will be exposed as an incredibly frail exercise in fact-finding and logic. The NFL has a well-documented history of making poor disciplinary decisions that often are overturned when truly independent and neutral judges or arbitrators preside, and a former federal judge has found the commissioner has abused his discretion in the past, so this outcome does not surprise me. Sadly, today’s decision diminishes the NFL as it tells its fans, players and coaches that the games on the field don’t count as much as the games played on Park Avenue.”
Old 05-12-2015, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Joneill44
In all honesty the penalty doesn't match the crime.

The Wells report concluded Kraft and Bill had no knowledge of the situation, so why does the organization get fined 1mill and lose 2picks? The NFL said they used prior organizational issues aka spygate to determine a penalty. Brady had nothing to do with spygate and the organization had nothing to do with deflategate. So how can you relate the two?

If they want to suspend Brady for 4games whatever I'm done arguing that. The appeal should be very interesting if they get a neutral arbitrator.
As much as I am enjoying this I can't disagree that it seems out of proportion based on this incident if viewed in isolation. However what I believe is going on is we are seeing the NFL draw a line at a pattern of behavior. It's similar to our HR rules here at work. You can have a small violation and you'll get a proportional punishment. Do it again, the punishment increases, do it a third and fourth time, and you get fired. So while the violation may be small by itself, doing it over and over again has increased consequences. I'm speculating that type of thing may be going on here.

And while no one may be able to prove that Bill didn't know about the balls, or Brady didn't know about spygate, it's FAR more likely that they did. If they didn't know, that means that Bill and Brady have no idea what's going on with their own team. I don't think anyone believes that's the case.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Joneill44
Brady's agent has been dropping some knowledge
He's grasping at loopholes.

It is not possible, in any time or universe, that Brady was not fully aware of what was going on.

However, maybe now we know why the punishment was so severe, so they'd have room to make a concession and "meet halfway" based on the fact the NFL was sure they'd appeal.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Suzuka Master

^ Agree. It just seems like they are getting punished more for not co-operating compared to the actual crime

Also idk if anyone heard Keyshawn Johnson yesterday say Brady should have been suspended for 8+ games and lost a lot of respect for him because he cheated. Does he remember the only time he won a ring is when his quarterback paid an employee $8k to scuff up the footballs during the SB. I'm not starting more shit, I just think its funny
Old 05-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
So, for those who think cheating is okay because everyone does it (I suppose, if I lived in a worst place, everyone is looting, I suppose I should too) and/or have issues with the hammer-time on Brady and the Pats, Peter King of SI has put it nicely here:

- A perceived lack of cooperation from Brady and the Patriots—and being misled by Brady. Because Ted Wells, or the NFL’s designated investigative arm, does not have subpoena power, the league will look down upon a person or organization for not cooperating fully in a probe of that team. Clearly, that’s what Goodell ruled here. When Brady wouldn’t turn over his cell phone for forensic examination, that was viewed as a lack of cooperation. When the Patriots would not make assistant equipment manager John Jastremski available for an additional interview at Wells’ request, that was viewed as a lack of cooperation. Vincent’s letter to the Patriots said Brady balked at surrendering his information “despite being offered extraordinary safeguards by the investigators to protect unrelated personal information … It remains significant that the quarterback of the team failed to cooperate fully with the investigation.” Vincent also clearly felt that Brady misled the Wells team “by providing testimony that the report concludes was not plausible and contradicted by other evidence.”
- Past offense. In 2007 the team and Belichick were sanctioned a total of $750,000 and docked a first-round draft choice for illegally videotaping coaching signals on the opposing sidelines. “Under the integrity of the game policy,” wrote Vincent, “this prior violation of competitive rules was properly considered in determining the discipline in this case.”
- The competitive-advantage factor. Whether it mattered—and the Patriots beat the Colts 45-7 in the title game, so clearly the outcome wouldn’t have been different—the NFL didn’t care. Anything that gives a team a competitive edge by cheating will be slammed, even if, apparently, the final proof isn’t there.
Deflategate penalty: NFL suspends Brady, fines Pats, takes draft picks | The MMQB with Peter King

I'll say it again: If Brady was up front about this entire sordid thing instead of acting like a cheeky smart-aleck, he probably would've gotten a small slap on the wrist and "HATERS" like me would've been crying/whining for blood because of the small slap...instead, he did not cooperate with the investigation and combine that with the other 2 factors (see above), voila...4 games and draft picks lost. The $1M is petty cash in this whole thing. Pats earn that back in 5 minutes.
The following users liked this post:
1Louder (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Yumcha can you use your internet dollars and help the Pats pay their fine. Thanks

http://www.gofundme.com/NewEnglandPatriots
Old 05-12-2015, 10:54 AM

I'm not condoning cheating in any way shape or form, but what bothers me here is in King's last statement:

The competitive-advantage factor. Whether it mattered—and the Patriots beat the Colts 45-7 in the title game, so clearly the outcome wouldn’t have been different—the NFL didn’t care. Anything that gives a team a competitive edge by cheating will be slammed, even if, apparently, the final proof isn’t there.

Clearly there was no competitive advantage that would or did impact the score (as I mentioned earlier, the Pat's balls were swapped out with about 5 mins left in the first half and they scored more points in the second half than the first) and "....apparently, the final proof isn't there."

NFL - So Eh, it didn't impact the game, we can't prove anything definitively, they have broken the rules in the past and our reputation is so beaten up over past scandals we need to hammer them.......
Old 05-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Originally Posted by imj0257
I want to see the Cowboys beat him.
A man can dream huh?
Old 05-12-2015, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
I'm not condoning cheating in any way shape or form, but what bothers me here is in King's last statement:

The competitive-advantage factor. Whether it mattered—and the Patriots beat the Colts 45-7 in the title game, so clearly the outcome wouldn’t have been different—the NFL didn’t care. Anything that gives a team a competitive edge by cheating will be slammed, even if, apparently, the final proof isn’t there.

Clearly there was no competitive advantage that would or did impact the score (as I mentioned earlier, the Pat's balls were swapped out with about 5 mins left in the first half and they scored more points in the second half than the first) and "....apparently, the final proof isn't there."

NFL - So Eh, it didn't impact the game, we can't prove anything definitively, they have broken the rules in the past and our reputation is so beaten up over past scandals we need to hammer them.......
So...if I was to say, take of my BLIND-HATE hat off for a minute, I'll say this as objectively as possible: For deflating the football, it's kinda like playing with a corked bat maybe...or even an illegal stick in hockey...so, it's not a big deal per se in the big picture probably...not something you ban a player for a quarter of a season for and also strip his team of draft picks.

(The HATE-person in me, though...because it's still cheating, will of course, be over-the-top and ask for Brady's head, ban for life, and banished to play football for the Toronto Argonauts.)

So, punishment does not fit the initial crime. HOWEVER, if you look at the case as a whole, then it's different. Brady deliberately obstructed the investigation by the League. Say it again: obstruction of the investigation. COMBINE this with the Spygate incident...voila...the heavy penalty.

On its own, inflating/deflating a ball? Pffft...nothing. Probably a fine at most or preseason game if Brady was up-front about it? But, nope...he decided to be stupid about it.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,117 Likes on 6,107 Posts
Again if he admitted to it when the story first came out then he risked being suspended from the Super Bowl. Who would admit to it in a situation like that?
Old 05-12-2015, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
Again if he admitted to it when the story first came out then he risked being suspended from the Super Bowl. Who would admit to it in a situation like that?
Well, then...fast forward to this sordid situation then. Play with fire and if you get caught, get ready to be burned?
Old 05-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Probably still better than losing the Super Bowl
Old 05-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Sanest Florida Man

The 8 Most Severe Punishments In NFL History | ClickHole
Well, Deflategate just exploded. Yesterday, the NFL slammed New England Patriots QB Tom Brady with a four-game suspension for his role in illegally deflating footballs during last season’s playoffs. Whether or not you think the league went too far, it’s not the first time it has come down hard on rule-breakers. Here are some of the NFL’s harshest punishments ever.

1. Michael Vick

For his extensive involvement in a dogfighting ring, Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was suspended for the 2007 and 2008 seasons and ordered to add a disclaimer to every autograph he’d ever given, reading, “By receiving this autograph, you implicitly supported a dog murderer, making you a monster in your own right.”

2. Shawn Springs

When Seattle Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren caught cornerback Shawn Springs using steroids in 2000, he sat him down at the kitchen table and had him do all the steroids one by one until there were none left.

3. Ricky Williams

In 2006, star running back Ricky Williams was suspended for the season without pay when the NFL became aware that Williams was three weeks overdue returning The Recognitions by William Gaddis to the Miami Public Library.

4. 2009 New York Jets

The New York Jets faced a record $5 million fine in 2009 after the league discovered they had been playing in the Giants’ stadium without permission.

5. Gregg Williams

For his role in the sweeping bounty program between 2009 and 2012, New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was ordered to psychically infiltrate a serial killer’s mind to find out where a kidnapped woman was being held.

6. Brett Favre

For trying to throw a perfect spiral to Saddam Hussein, Brett Favre was suspended for an entire season and fined $3 million.

7. Haloti Ngata

When Baltimore Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata was caught using performance-enhancing drugs late last year, the NFL’s disciplinary committee ruled that the look of disappointment in Roger Goodell’s eyes was punishment enough.

8. Bill Belichick

New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick is automatically fined $10,000 every day on the assumption that he’s up to something fishy.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:32 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
So...if I was to say, take of my BLIND-HATE hat off for a minute, I'll say this as objectively as possible: For deflating the football, it's kinda like playing with a corked bat maybe...or even an illegal stick in hockey...so, it's not a big deal per se in the big picture probably...not something you ban a player for a quarter of a season for and also strip his team of draft picks.

(The HATE-person in me, though...because it's still cheating, will of course, be over-the-top and ask for Brady's head, ban for life, and banished to play football for the Toronto Argonauts.)

So, punishment does not fit the initial crime. HOWEVER, if you look at the case as a whole, then it's different. Brady deliberately obstructed the investigation by the League. Say it again: obstruction of the investigation. COMBINE this with the Spygate incident...voila...the heavy penalty.

On its own, inflating/deflating a ball? Pffft...nothing. Probably a fine at most or preseason game if Brady was up-front about it? But, nope...he decided to be stupid about it.
And you come to a hard ass conclusion on a report you havent read, based on shit on how ONE person feels, because he couldn't find enough evidence to wipe his ass with.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
And you come to a hard ass conclusion on a report you havent read, based on shit on how ONE person feels, because he couldn't find enough evidence to wipe his ass with.
I don't know I would have said it that way but do agree.

That's what I was getting at above in that they are punishing the Pats and Brady for things they only suspect and cannot prove.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jupitersolo

Eh? The evidence is in the footballs...? They were below psi...? When asked about it...Brady did not cooperate.

Plausible enough for Goodell/Vincent to come down hard given the Pats prior history as well with Spygate?

Look, if it makes you feel better, if this happened to a Chicago Bear, Blackhawk, Bull, Cub, etc. I'd say the same thing. You cheat...and then you obstruct the investigation...um, get ready to get a hurt real bad? Pretty straightforward to me.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:26 PM

It's almost as if they skipped a step.

In a real crime situation, the Police and witnesses present gathered evidence from an investigation to a Grand Jury. The Grand jury decides if what has been presented is sufficient for the case to move forward to a jury trial or not. The Grand Jury does not determine guilt or innocence. If it moves forward the defendant is indicted and set up for a jury trial. From there guilt or innocence is determined and if necessary penalty/sentencing.

In this deflategate scenario, the whole jury trial was skipped and sentencing was handed down.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator

It's almost as if they skipped a step.

In a real crime situation, the Police and witnesses present gathered evidence from an investigation to a Grand Jury. The Grand jury decides if what has been presented is sufficient for the case to move forward to a jury trial or not. The Grand Jury does not determine guilt or innocence. If it moves forward the defendant is indicted and set up for a jury trial. From there guilt or innocence is determined and if necessary penalty/sentencing.

In this deflategate scenario, the whole jury trial was skipped and sentencing was handed down.
So, in what sport's league is there this...jury? In every league, be it NBA, NHL, MLB...the commissioner is the judge, jury, and executioner...?

Maybe I'm not understanding you.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:37 PM

No, you are correct, and I almost put that in my post. That this whole deflategate has happened under the NFL and not necessarily the laws that govern the general public.

With that being said the MA State Attorney General is less than thrilled. Take away the fact she is a Pats fan, she cannot believe the NFL has handed down a four game suspension when spousal abusers (Ray Rice) only get a two game suspension. Her take is that the NFL is arrogant and needs to look in the mirror about how they are handling spousal abusers, child abusers and drug users vs. ball deflators.

As I said the only thing that is true at this point is that the story/drama is long from being over............
Old 05-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

No, you are correct, and I almost put that in my post. That this whole deflategate has happened under the NFL and not necessarily the laws that govern the general public.

With that being said the MA State Attorney General is less than thrilled. Take away the fact she is a Pats fan, she cannot believe the NFL has handed down a four game suspension when spousal abusers (Ray Rice) only get a two game suspension. Her take is that the NFL is arrogant and needs to look in the mirror about how they are handling spousal abusers, child abusers and drug users vs. ball deflators.

As I said the only thing that is true at this point is that the story/drama is long from being over............
Fair enough...and again, all I can say is, I truly believe we wouldn't even have been down this path if Brady was up-front about it in the first place.

Almost seemed like he wanted to call the League's bluff...and well, you know the rest. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I think the suspension may be reduced to 1-2 games. Who knows.

But, again...the blind-hate in me wants him banned for the season at a minimum.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
Someone else said this in this thread already, but his play here was to go with something like, "I prefer the balls inflated right at the low end of the legal range and our equipment managers must have just missed the mark".

We all would have gone but that basically says the violation was an accident, not intent.

He plays in the Superbowl, 2 game suspension, $250,000 fine. Done.

But the way he went about it screams intent, then the lie, then the lack of cooperation, which only reinforces it was intentional.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:37 PM

Donald Trump is saying Brady should sue the NFL for $250M for defamation and see how quickly they settle although suing the NFL has been done in the past. Al Davis did it and won

Last edited by NBP04TL4ME; 05-12-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:41 AM

Donald Trump is saying Brady should sue the NFL for $250M for defamation and see how quickly they settle although suing the NFL has been done in the past. Al Davis did it and won
I think Brady will stay away from any legal action, because it would give lawyers the legal basis to subpoena his phone records (and everyone else). He's not going to expose the one thing that would prove his guilt. If his text messages were clean, he would have provided his phone when asked the first time.

Brady has to be careful how far he takes this. He knows he's guilty, and he knows it can be proven if the right data were known. I think his camp will simply try to lessen the punishment through the court of public opinion and move on.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:36 AM

Rumor is Brady has hired Jeff Kessler who is the atty that represented Ray Rice. Cannot confirm this at this point and not sure if true, if it is a good thing.

Again we can go into incredible detail and assume the media is correct when making statements (yeah, I know) but this AM local media said Brady did cooperate but stopped when asked for his personal cell phone. So not sure if that means his has more than one or the media decided to add the adjective.
I carry two cell phones because I always wanted separation of work and personal life. Some of my colleagues think I'm nuts, but there would never be a reason for anyone from work asking for my personal cell. Even though I have nothing to hide, it's a privacy issue.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Schefter source believes the suspension will be overturned

Audio here: Adam Schefter, NFL - ESPN

Article here: Adam Schefter: Source Predicts Tom Brady?s Suspension Will Be Overturned | New England Patriots | NESN.com
Old 05-13-2015, 10:33 AM

So it sounds like Kessler has been retained...............
Old 05-13-2015, 12:52 PM

Rumor is Brady has hired Jeff Kessler who is the atty that represented Ray Rice. Cannot confirm this at this point and not sure if true, if it is a good thing.

Again we can go into incredible detail and assume the media is correct when making statements (yeah, I know) but this AM local media said Brady did cooperate but stopped when asked for his personal cell phone. So not sure if that means his has more than one or the media decided to add the adjective.
I carry two cell phones because I always wanted separation of work and personal life. Some of my colleagues think I'm nuts, but there would never be a reason for anyone from work asking for my personal cell. Even though I have nothing to hide, it's a privacy issue.
Unless you are doing something illegal on your personal cell phone. No argument that its a good idea from a privacy point of view. But it can also enables the perfect cover-up if you are doing something wrong.

And really Brady does not want to be in the same "cell phone use" discussion as Hillary Clinton.

I don't understand Brady seeking a lawyer. He still has the chance to remain a golden boy of the NFL if he just shuts up and takes what he deserves. He can destroy that if he takes this too far. He's nothing more than a child with chocolate cake all over his face denying to his mom over and over again that he didn't eat any cake. Everyone sees this for what it is.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:40 PM
Suzuka Master

There is now a full website dedicated to how misleading the Wells report is..... The Wells Report in Context

The conclusions of the Wells Report are, at best, incomplete, incorrect and lack context. The Report dismisses the scientific explanation for the natural loss of psi of the Patriots footballs by inexplicably rejecting the Referee’s recollection of what gauge he used in his pregame inspection. Texts acknowledged to be attempts at humor and exaggeration are nevertheless interpreted as a plot to improperly deflate footballs, even though none of them refer to any such plot. There is no evidence that Tom Brady preferred footballs that were lower than 12.5 psi and no evidence anyone even thought that he did. All the extensive evidence which contradicts how the texts are interpreted by the investigators is simply dismissed as “not plausible.” Inconsistencies in logic and evidence are ignored.

These points, and others, are addressed in greater detail in the following Annotations to the Executive Summary of the Wells Report by Daniel L. Goldberg, a senior partner in the Boston office of Morgan Lewis and who represented the Patriots and was present during all of the interviews of Patriots personnel conducted at Gillette Stadium. Our intention is to provide additional context for balance and consideration.
I don't think Brady would be working with Morgan Lewis just because he has "chocolate cake all over his face"

Last edited by Joneill44; 05-14-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Alex Marvez says the appeal will reduce the suspension to 2 games. Schefter still says complete overturn?
Old 05-14-2015, 03:39 PM

Brady appeals suspension in 'Deflategate'

Posted: May 14, 2015 3:58 PM EDT
Updated: May 14, 2015 4:30 PM EDT

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) - Tom Brady has appealed his four-game suspension for his role in using deflated footballs during the AFC championship game, and the players union immediately urged Commissioner Roger Goodell to appoint a neutral arbitrator to hear the case.
The expected appeal was filed by the NFL Players Association on Thursday about an hour before the 5 p.m. deadline. The league's collective bargaining agreement stipulates that it will be decided by Commissioner Roger Goodell or a person he designates.

"Given the NFL's history of inconsistency and arbitrary decisions in disciplinary matters, it is only fair that a neutral arbitrator hear this appeal," the union said in a news release.

The union did not detail specifics of the appeal in its release

The NFL announced the quarterback's suspension on Monday, also fining the New England Patriots $1 million and taking away two draft picks.

Brady's appeal only deals with the suspension and must be heard within 10 days. The team has not said if it will appeal its penalties before next Thursday.

League-appointed investigator Ted Wells found that Brady was "at least generally aware" of plans by two team employees to prepare the balls to his liking, below the league-mandated minimum of 12.5 pounds per square inch.

In a 20,000-word rebuttal to the league's findings published Thursday, a Patriots lawyer disputed the conclusions on matters of science, logic and law.

Team attorney Daniel Goldberg said the "deflator" nickname used by a ballboy and cited in the discipline was about weight loss, not footballs.

The two employees used the term jokingly to refer to locker room attendant Jim McNally, who was trying to lose weight, Goldberg said.

Goldberg represented the team and was present during all of interviews of team personnel. Patriots spokesman Stacey James confirmed that the site wellsreportcontext.com was genuine and "approved/supported by the team."

Goldberg's response claims the league's conclusions are "at best, incomplete, incorrect and lack context."

It denied a link between Brady and the two equipment staffers, and it rejected Wells' claims that the team was not cooperative in the investigation. Wells said the team refused to make McNally available for a follow-up interview; Goldberg said the league should have asked all of its questions the first time.

Among the claims in the response were that Wells ignored an innocuous scientific explanation for the loss of air pressure in the footballs used in the AFC championship game against the Indianapolis Colts.

The rebuttal also includes claims of other incidents of ball-tampering that were not dealt with as harshly. And it says increased communication between Brady and the ballboys after the scandal broke were just normal expressions of concern, rather than evidence of the quarterback's guilt.

Brady's agent, Don Yee, said the three-time Super Bowl MVP would appeal the suspension issued on Monday for his part in the deflation of footballs below the league-mandated minimum. He had until 5 p.m. on Thursday to do so.

The Patriots have not said if they'll appeal their penalty by a May 21 deadline -- a $1 million fine and the loss of a first-round draft pick next year and a fourth-rounder in 2017.

In Brady's appeal, the league will go against an experienced foe in labor lawyer Jeffrey Kessler, who has won other appeals against the league and is helping the quarterback.

If the suspension is upheld, Brady would miss the first four games of the regular season and be eligible to return against the Colts on Oct. 18
Old 05-15-2015, 07:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Goodell said I got this one
Old 05-15-2015, 07:27 AM

I don't see how Goodell nominating himself benefits Brady, but like you said
Old 05-15-2015, 08:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Huge power move by Goodell
Old 05-15-2015, 08:28 AM

This right here shatters any credibility this lawyer has.

Team attorney Daniel Goldberg said the "deflator" nickname used by a ballboy and cited in the discipline was about weight loss, not footballs.

The two employees used the term jokingly to refer to locker room attendant Jim McNally, who was trying to lose weight, Goldberg said.
He's actually trying to make the case that the nickname "deflator" really refers to someone losing weight, and not someone who's job is LITERALLY inflating/deflating game balls. Really.

I hope Goodell sticks it to them just for thinking we are all THAT stupid.

Quick Reply: NFL: 2015 Off-Season News and Soft Supple Balls Discussion Thread