Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL: 2011 Off-Season News and Discussion Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,649 Likes on 13,889 Posts
NFL: 2011 Off-Season News and Discussion Thread

Well, the NY Giants have won...season's over.

Off-season trash talk, free-agent signings, Bengals getting arrested, and the draft can be yacked about in here!

Old 02-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Dear Bears...

Please get some help at WR, O-line, and get a TRUE back-up QB because Hanie et al are not it.

Thank-you.

And oh, the Fackers suck.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Peyton to the Niners?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Peyton to the Niners?
The 9ers would be scary.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
I dont want it to end
Old 02-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Whiskers
I dont want it to end
Nothing is permanent.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:51 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
I'm predicting ZERO arrests this off-season

I was gonna say something about Sam Hurd, but with the whole Jerome Simpson mess I guess we're even
Old 02-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,409 Likes on 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottman111
I'm predicting ZERO arrests this off-season :

I'm predicting >50%
Old 02-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Scottman111
I'm predicting ZERO arrests this off-season

I was gonna say something about Sam Hurd, but with the whole Jerome Simpson mess I guess we're even
Over/under for the Bengirls: 37 arrests.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Nothing is permanent.

Eli's two superbowls are!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,409 Likes on 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
Eli's two superbowls are!
Steelers' 6 Lombardi trophies are too
Old 02-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Peyton still quite injured: http://tracking.si.com/2012/02/09/re...2_a7&eref=sihp
Old 02-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Peyton to the Niners?
I def don't see that happening. Harbaugh is still high on Alex Smith. I dont think Peyton would want to play for Harbaugh either.

Cardinals just signed Peyton's QB coach for the last 6 years. Although it probably means nothing it could mean they want Peyton and have a shot at getting him. Plus the weather and retractable dome and strong team (great WR) would make it very attractive to Peyton. Although they spent as assload on Kolb so we'll see where that goes.

Skins have a chance too as they do with all big free agents. Peyton has to be released first though
Old 02-09-2012, 02:33 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Not "still injured" just needs time to rehab.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:36 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by L's TL
I def don't see that happening. Harbaugh is still high on Alex Smith. I dont think Peyton would want to play for Harbaugh either.

Cardinals just signed Peyton's QB coach for the last 6 years. Although it probably means nothing it could mean they want Peyton and have a shot at getting him. Plus the weather and retractable dome and strong team (great WR) would make it very attractive to Peyton. Although they spent as assload on Kolb so we'll see where that goes.

Skins have a chance too as they do with all big free agents. Peyton has to be released first though
Please GAWD, please, don't let this happen. We don't need a QB, to be here for maybe three more years. We need a young stud to stay here a while.

I hope to GAWD that if the mind set is to get him in here so the coach can win before his contract is up, they fall and hit their head on a toilet seat and forgot that thought!
Old 02-09-2012, 03:48 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by L's TL

I know, but I can dream. An 75% Peyton Manning wins us the SB this year.

Not a Smith hater but Peyton is one of the best ever, not something Smith will ever be close to. Windows are so small, if it wins you a SB or 2 now you go for it.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom

Not a Smith hater but Peyton is one of the best ever, not something Smith will ever be close to. Windows are so small, if it wins you a SB or 2 now you go for it.

Parity rules supreme in the NFL.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 PM
nnInn

Best thing about the NY Giants winning the SB. Note this link takes you to the Pretty Girl Thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...ostcount=17149
Old 02-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Being a NY Jets fan, I'm drained of any ability to talk smack. While I'll gladly take Sporano over Schotty, still gonna have #6 flustered and confused in the pocket once more.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Please GAWD, please, don't let this happen. We don't need a QB, to be here for maybe three more years. We need a young stud to stay here a while.

I hope to GAWD that if the mind set is to get him in here so the coach can win before his contract is up, they fall and hit their head on a toilet seat and forgot that thought!
Problem is, the Skins dont suck bad enough to pick up an actual stud QB right out of college. They'd have to basically sacrifice their draft this year and next to get RG3. I say get Peyton and STILL draft a QB for the future this year but in later rounds. That way the guy can learn behind a legend. Lets just hope he doesnt turn out to be another Curtis Painter

Originally Posted by dom

You're right, anyone would be crazy to not want him on their team. And if SF got Peyton, they are def winning superbowls. The rest of the team is too good. Maybe add a wideout or two and Smith might get even better.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL

I'm predicting >50%
Over/under for the Bengirls: 37 arrests.
Thought you freaks would like to know that there was another Rey Maualuga incident over the weekend. He got a DUI a few years ago

Rey Maualuga is looking like he could be in a serious bit of trouble. The man had his issues back when he was with the USC Trojans, as he was known as a notorious partier who often would get into fights. It seems as if a similar situation occurred here in Cincinnati.

This latest news report will not help his cause. Here is the video from the news report, where the victim identifies the Cincinnati Bengals defender.
http://losangeles.sbnation.com/usc-t...innati-bengals

I've hated this guy since his rookie year when he showed he couldn't play in the NFL

He technically wasn't arrested this time though
Old 03-03-2012, 02:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Thumbs down Saints in Hot Water Over Bounty Program

Wow.

The National Football League on Friday found the New Orleans Saints guilty of a wide-ranging system of bounty payments to between 22 and 27 defensive players from 2009 through 2011, and player-safety-conscious commissioner Roger Goodell could bring the hammer down very hard on the franchise.

The most alarming finding by the league, according to one club source who was briefed on the investigation late Friday afternoon, was this: Before the 2009 NFC Championship Game, Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma offered any defensive teammate $10,000 in cash to knock then-Vikings quarterback Brett Favre out of the game. Favre was hit viciously several times in the game. Favre told SI.com Friday evening: "I'm not pissed. It's football. I don't think anything less of those guys."

The details of Vilma's offer were in a report to the 32 NFL owners, sent out by the league to detail further what the league's 50,000-page investigation found.

Early indications late Friday afternoon were that the sanctions against the Saints and their former defensive coordinator who the league said administered the bounties, Gregg Williams, will be severe. The league said the penalties could include suspensions, fines and loss of draft choices -- the latter of which could be particularly damaging to the Saints, who do not own a first-round pick this year. Their first choice will be late in the second round, the 59th overall ... unless Goodell takes the pick away.

Goodell is angry about this sustained use of paying players to hurt players on other teams. There's little doubt the penalties on the Saints will be worse than what the league did to the Patriots for the Spygate scandal in 2007. Coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 and the franchise fined $250,000 and docked a first-round draft choice for videotaping opponents' signals during games in violation of league rules. It would not be surprising, judging by the seriousness of the findings, that Williams, recently hired as the defensive coordinator of the Rams, would face a multi-game suspension.

At 5:30 p.m. ET on Friday, Williams issued an apology: "I want to express my sincere regret and apology to the NFL, Mr. Benson, and the New Orleans Saints fans for my participation in the 'pay for performance' program while I was with the Saints," Williams said. "It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it. Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role. I am truly sorry. I have learned a hard lesson and I guarantee that I will never participate in or allow this kind of activity to happen again."

A stern Goodell and a team of NFL officials -- league counsel Jeff Pash and NFL Security officials who headed up the investigation -- summoned Saints coach Sean Payton and general manager Mickey Loomis to New York Thursday to inform them of the seriousness of the investigation. Then Pash flew to New Orleans Thursday night to brief Saints owner Tom Benson.

Payton, the league says, was not "a direct participant'' in the bounty program but was aware of it and did nothing to stop it. Loomis could be in more trouble. The league claims Loomis was told by Benson to stop the program and didn't.

The league said there was an initial investigation, after the 2009 season, into a bounty system led by Williams that could not be corroborated. Then, Goodell said "significant and credible'' new information was forthcoming late in the 2011 season that led to the findings the league acted on Friday. Those conclusions found that Saints players were paid off-the-books incentives for some outstanding performances such as interceptions -- obviously in violation of the league's salary cap -- as well as $1,000 and $1,500 payments for injuring opposing players.

"The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just payments for performance, but also for injuring opposing players," Goodell said in a league statement Friday afternoon. The bounty rule, Goodell said, protects "two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity. It is our responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of our game, and this type of conduct will not be tolerated. We have made significant progress in changing the culture with respect to player safety and we are not going to relent. We have more work to do and we will do it."

The league, led by director of investigative services Joe Hummel and chief
league security officer Jeff Miller, discovered these violations:

• Players pooled their own money to fund the bounty club, and players were paid $1,500 if a foe was knocked out of the game, and $1,000 if an opponent was carted off the field.
• Between 22 and 27 players contributed to the bounty pool over a three-year period, with amounts guaranteed if a certain opposing player was knocked out of the game.
• Williams occasionally reached into his own pocket to contribute to the bounty pool.
• Benson said when he was informed of the new and credible evidence that the bounty program was going strong after the 2011 season, he directed Loomis to make sure the program ceased. "There is no evidence that Mr. Loomis took any effective action to stop these practices,'' the league's statement said.
Surprisingly, the biggest target of the bounties, Favre, wasn't upset about the news when reached Friday night. He said bounties are a part of the game. "Said or unsaid, guys do it anyway," Favre said. "If they can drill you and get you out [of the game], they will."

Since mid-2010, when a spate of head injuries ratcheted up the NFL's attention to player safety, Goodell has been nearly manic about player safety.

The league has heavily fined players for excessive and late hits on players, and Goodell's relationship with many prominent players in the league has been radically affected because of it. That's why the penalties in this case will be significantly more severe -- almost certainly -- than what was levied on the Patriots four seasons ago. It's hard enough for players to stay on the field in the first place, never mind when a team is purposely trying to injure them.

That's why you can expect Goodell to issue the most severe penalties of his six-year reign on the Saints as soon as late this month. Players will be watching this case closely, particularly heavily fined players like James Harrison. If Williams gets away without a six-figure fine plus suspension, players will think Goodell is softer on the ringleaders than the players.
Messages to Williams, Payton and Loomis were not immediately returned to SI.com Friday afternoon. Saints owner Tom Benson issued this statement: "I have been made aware of the NFL's findings relative to the 'Bounty Rule' and how it relates to our club. I have offered and the NFL has received our full cooperation in their investigation. While the findings may be troubling, we look forward to putting this behind us and winning more championships in the future for our fans."

It could be a while, a long while, before the findings, as Benson calls them, can be put behind the Saints.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Foster, Mathis, Stevie Johnson with huge extensions

Randy Moss to work out for Saints as if they don't have enough problems

Franchise Tags
Arizona Cardinals DE Calais Campbell | More ...
Atlanta Falcons CB Brent Grimes | More ...
Baltimore Ravens RB Ray Rice | More ...
Buffalo Bills Not applied
Carolina Panthers Not applied
Chicago Bears RB Matt Forte | More ...
Cincinnati Bengals K Mike Nugent | More ...
Cleveland Browns K Phil Dawson | More ...
Dallas Cowboys LB Anthony Spencer | More ...
Denver Broncos K Matt Prater | More ...
Detroit Lions DE Cliff Avril | More ...
Green Bay Packers Not applied
Houston Texans Not applied
Indianapolis Colts DE Robert Mathis | More ...
Jacksonville Jaguars K Josh Scobee | More ...
Kansas City Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe | More ...
Miami Dolphins Not applied
Minnesota Vikings Not applied
New England Patriots WR Wes Welker | More ...
New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees* | More ...
New York Giants P Steve Weatherford | More ...
New York Jets Not applied
Oakland Raiders S Tyvon Branch | More ...
Philadelphia Eagles WR DeSean Jackson | More ...
Pittsburgh Steelers Not applied
San Diego Chargers Not applied
San Francisco 49ers S Dashon Goldson | More ...
Seattle Seahawks Not applied
St. Louis Rams Not applied
Tampa Bay Buccaneers K Connor Barth | More ...
Tennessee Titans S Michael Griffin | More ...
Washington Redskins TE Fred Davis |

I'm hearing Brees won't sign his tender even though he can't change teams.

And apparently Miami is for real at the top of the list and reports are he's throwing great.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Report: Colts to release Peyton Manning Wednesday

The Peyton Manning Era in Indianapolis will end Wednesday, according to a report.

The Colts will release the four-time NFL MVP, opting not to pick up his $28 million roster bonus and leaving him free to sign with any team, reports ESPN's Chris Mortensen. The team will announce the move Wednesday in a press conference attended by team owner Jim Irsay and Manning, according to Mortensen.

CAPTIONBy Rafael Suanes, US Presswire
Manning, 35, still wants to play football after sitting out the 2011 season following multiple neck surgeries. He watched from the sidelines as the Colts finished 2-14, securing the No. 1 pick, which they are likely to use on former Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck.

The team fired the personnel management team of Bill and Chris Polian, installing Ryan Grigson as the team's new general manager.

Manning, who led the Colts to a Super Bowl victory following the 2006 season, played 14 seasons and did not miss a start before 2011. He has been medically cleared to resume playing football, and has worked out in North Carolina and Florida this offseason. He can sign with any team immediately following his release.
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T1aegYcge5I

news
Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
He would look good in a 9ers uniform.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
redskins
Old 03-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
redskins
Old 03-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 381 Likes on 233 Posts
Colts hahahaha would love him wearing a Niners jersey
Old 03-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Team Owner

Miami, Washington, with KC and NYJ as dark horses. Miami and Washington will jack up the price but who actually gets him.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Peyton is joining the LeHeat?!?!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Oh do I love them saying Peyton to the Texans. We'd be unstoppable. 19-0 babay
Old 03-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Looking for a green and white #18 to helm Rex's offense.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:07 PM
nnInn

Do NOT want in burgundy and gold!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Do NOT want in burgundy and gold!
Well, he's an upgrade over Grossman.

But, still...I don't think his best chances are with the Skins.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Team Owner

Well Peter King killed the Texans idea as did some guy named McLain who writes for I think the Houston Chronicle. But now Dallas is a sleeper.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:26 AM
nnInn

Peter King is a boob!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Suzuka Master

He wou;ld get destroyed in Dallas! Romo has being making that oline look good when in reality they are
Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

He'd be a decent fit in a Jets uniform too.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:43 AM
old school

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Bringing Reggie Wayne with him would be nice, too.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...2_a5&eref=sihp

Manning throwing to Marshall & Wayne with Bess/Hartline in the slot and Reggie Bush out of the backfield? Yes, please.

Last edited by elessar; 03-08-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:49 AM
nnInn

^^ That is a little scary and Peyton the coach, would straighten it up down there.

Quick Reply: NFL: 2011 Off-Season News and Discussion Thread