Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NBA Discussion Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn, only 2 games tonight. how nice they decided to put the pistons on tv...i say they win by 16
Old 05-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Banned

If Raja gets suspended (which is likely)....Puke Walton should have been assesed a flagrant 2 as well when he took Tim Thomas out in mid-air.

Or maybe when Kwame threw Boris on the ground and stepped over him...and only a personal was assesed.

All you laker jockers must watch the games where the Lakers can do no wrong...cuz the Lakers have been doing as much physical play as any team...and getting away with it, and winning (I can give them some respect for being more physical and taking the Suns out of their game). Im not saying what Raja did was smart or even called for...but its the way the game has been played all series....and personally, i would take Raja in a fight over pampered ass Kobe.

Last edited by moomaster_99; 05-03-2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:17 PM
04 remembrance

Originally Posted by goose25
Great idea, in fact I'll pull out my old video tape of the Bulls kicking the crap out of the Knicks in Game 6 when they blocked Charles Smith's shot 4 times at the end of the game
You son of a bitch.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by moomaster_99
Im not saying what Raja did was smart or even called for...but its the way the game has been played all series....
Elbows...part of basketball and this series

Air collisions...part of basketball and this series

Hard fouls...part of basketball and this series

Flops...part of basketball and this series

Close lining...part of wrestling and now this series

All series...sorry, but did I miss a Pile Driver, Suplex or Sleeper Hold in games 1-4?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cazzy
Elbows...part of basketball and this series<--- Elbows to the face.Part of wrestling.

Air collisions...part of basketball and this series <---- he took him out in midair...very close to being a close line as well. Part of wrestling.

Hard fouls...part of basketball and this series <--- Standing over someone after you throw them on the ground. Part of wrestling.

Flops...part of basketball and this series <---- pussy defense both ways. Part of wrestling.

Close lining...part of wrestling and now this series <---it was pretty funny tho.

All series...sorry, but did I miss a Pile Driver, Suplex or Sleeper Hold in games 1-4?

Whatever...if you're a Laker fan...you're gonna call their fouls...hard fouls....and part of the game.

Raja went beyond a hard foul...but so have the Lakers....so :wtf:

Like I said...Im pretty sure he's gonna get suspended cuz it was blatantly flagrant...but so have a lot of Laker fouls.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Elbows...part of basketball and this series<--- Elbows to the face.Part of wrestling.

Air collisions...part of basketball and this series <---- he took him out in midair...very close to being a close line as well. Part of wrestling.

Hard fouls...part of basketball and this series <--- Standing over someone after you throw them on the ground. Part of wrestling.

Flops...part of basketball and this series <---- pussy defense both ways. Part of wrestling.

Close lining...part of wrestling and now this series <---it was pretty funny tho.

I do agree...it was funny! Too bad Raja won't be able to laugh about it in game 6.

Whatever...if you're a Laker fan...you're gonna call their fouls...hard fouls....and part of the game.

Like I said...Im pretty sure he's gonna get suspended cuz it was blatantly flagrant...but so have a lot of Laker fouls.
To each is own...you saw it one way...I saw it another. I do think some of the Laker's fouls where hard fouls...that maybe deserved a T. Outside of that...they nowhere compared to what Raja did. He likely cost the Suns any chance of winning the series.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Banned

I do agree...it was funny! Too bad Raja won't be able to laugh about it in game 6.

To each is own...you saw it one way...I saw it another. I do think some of the Laker's fouls where hard fouls...that maybe deserved a T. Outside of that...they nowhere compared to what Raja did. He likely cost the Suns any chance of winning the series.
True true not like Raja....but Luke Walton's should have been close.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Drifting

there is a difference between a hard foul that might not have even been intented to be hard, and a hard foul when the game is already over
Old 05-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

True true not like Raja....but Luke Walton's should have been close.
I just watched the foul again on NBA.com and it was a very hard foul, but it is a typical hard foul in the NBA. Watch it again...he had far different intentions than Raja did. It was close...he got a Flagrant 1! Assuming you will watch it again; do you truly believe that foul deserved a Flagrant 2?
Old 05-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Section IV--Flagrant Foul

a. If contact committed against a player, with or without the ball, is interpreted to be unnecessary, a flagrant foul--penalty (1) will be assessed. A personal foul is charged to the offender and a team foul is charged to the team.

PENALTY: (1) Two free throws shall be attempted and the ball awarded to the offended team on either side of the court at the free throw line extended. (2) If the offended player is injured and unable to attempt his free throws, the opposing coach will select any player from the bench to attempt the free throws. (3) This substitute may not be replaced until the ball is legally touched by a player on the court. (EXCEPTION: Rule 3--Section V--e.) (4) The injured player may not return to the game. (5) A player will be ejected if he commits two flagrant fouls in the same game.

b. If contact committed against a player, with or without the ball, is interpret-ed to be unnecessary and excessive, a flagrant foul--penalty (2) will be assessed. A personal foul is charged to the offender and a team foul is charged to the team.

PENALTY: (1) Two free throws shall be attempted and the ball awarded to the offended team on either side of the court at the free throw line extended. (2) If the offended player is injured and unable to attempt his free throws, his coach will select a substitute and any player from the team is eligible to attempt the free throws. (3) This substitute may not be replaced until the ball is legally touched by a player on the court. EXCEPTION: Rule 3--Section V--e. (4) The injured player may return to the game at any time after the free throws are attempted. (5) This is an unsports-manlike act and the offender is ejected.

c. A flagrant foul may be assessed whether the ball is dead or alive.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Banned

a. If contact committed against a player, with or without the ball, is interpreted to be unnecessary, a flagrant foul--penalty (1) will be assessed. A personal foul is charged to the offender and a team foul is charged to the team.

PENALTY: (1) Two free throws shall be attempted and the ball awarded to the offended team on either side of the court at the free throw line extended. (2) If the offended player is injured and unable to attempt his free throws, the opposing coach will select any player from the bench to attempt the free throws. (3) This substitute may not be replaced until the ball is legally touched by a player on the court. (EXCEPTION: Rule 3--Section V--e.) (4) The injured player may not return to the game. (5) A player will be ejected if he commits two flagrant fouls in the same game.

b. If contact committed against a player, with or without the ball, is interpret-ed to be unnecessary and excessive, a flagrant foul--penalty (2) will be assessed. A personal foul is charged to the offender and a team foul is charged to the team.

PENALTY: (1) Two free throws shall be attempted and the ball awarded to the offended team on either side of the court at the free throw line extended. (2) If the offended player is injured and unable to attempt his free throws, his coach will select a substitute and any player from the team is eligible to attempt the free throws. (3) This substitute may not be replaced until the ball is legally touched by a player on the court. EXCEPTION: Rule 3--Section V--e. (4) The injured player may return to the game at any time after the free throws are attempted. (5) This is an unsports-manlike act and the offender is ejected.

c. A flagrant foul may be assessed whether the ball is dead or alive.
I dunno...I think its excessive anytime someone is in the air...and you basically tackle him and then drop him. I can see it going either way. It was a dirty play, maybe not a flagrant 2....but everyone knew their intentions....if Puke gets ejected oh well...v. we take out the one other person besides Nash that can hurt us.

And then the technical on Diaw when Kobe pushed him into everyone else?

I mean its a moot point. We'll see what happens.....it did make the series that much more interesting........
Old 05-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Keeping emos out of

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iamhomin
You son of a bitch.
Ewing's Knicks never beat Michael Jordan's Bulls in the playoffs, losing five series between 1989 and 1996. Ewing will now serve as an assistant coach for Jordan and the Wizards in Washington. (By Anne Ryan, USA TODAY)

Ahhh, the good old days
Old 05-03-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm back, biatch.

The ONLY time the Knicks beat the Bulls in the playoffs.

yep, that was a foul. Good call, Hue.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

it's official, raja's out for game 6.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ory?id=2431979
Old 05-03-2006, 05:51 PM
04 remembrance

Originally Posted by goose25
Ewing's Knicks never beat Michael Jordan's Bulls in the playoffs, losing five series between 1989 and 1996. Ewing will now serve as an assistant coach for Jordan and the Wizards in Washington. (By Anne Ryan, USA TODAY)

Ahhh, the good old days

Great rivalries...ahem. I'm still proud of my then Ewing-Knicks.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,314 Likes on 967 Posts
It sucked to be a non-Bulls team in that era. Jordan declined so many HOFers their rings.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Doom878
It sucked to be a non-Bulls team in that era. Jordan declined so many HOFers their rings.

Off the top of my head.

Reggie Miller
Patrick Ewing
Charles Barkley
Karl Malone
John Stockton
Clyde Drexler

hmmmmmmm...who am I missing?
Old 05-03-2006, 10:13 PM
04 remembrance

Off the top of my head.

Reggie Miller
Patrick Ewing
Charles Barkley
Karl Malone
John Stockton
Clyde Drexler

hmmmmmmm...who am I missing?
I wouldn't include Clyde in that era, but you got it pretty much covered. It was especially unfortunate for Ewing, Malone, and Stockton.

The Knicks came very close to beating the bulls in both 1992 and 1993 . What struck me was how the Knicks lost a 2-0 lead in the semi finals on 1993.....crazy.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Team Owner

Clyde has a ring with Dream.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Banned

fucking lebron. Why cant the wizards play a lil d?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:02 AM
I shoot people

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,481 Posts
question re: Odds

How do you read the odds?

what does something like this mean?

Phx

vs.

LAL

+4-110
-4-110
205 ov-110

in this example... who's favor to win?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Team Owner

I think it says LA is favored by 4. If you bet LA for the win, you have to pay $205 to get $110. You pay $110 to get $110 if you pick Phoenix. Is that right betters?
Old 05-04-2006, 08:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

David Stern's comments on the Raja close line...

“It was a very unmanly act, and it was unnecessary for our game,” commissioner David Stern said before Wednesday night’s game in Cleveland. “And if that doesn’t put our players on notice that we’re here to protect them — protect them — then I don’t know what will.”

Old 05-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by is300eater
How do you read the odds?

what does something like this mean?

Phx

vs.

LAL

+4-110
-4-110
205 ov-110

in this example... who's favor to win?

The team with the minus (the Lakers in this case) is favored to win. So the Lakers are 4 point favorites. Don't worry about the -110s. That's the standard betting rate. I'll explain more if needed.

The 205 is the over/under for combined points in the game, also available at the standard "price" of -110.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:14 AM
04 remembrance

Originally Posted by btsilver
fucking lebron. Why cant the wizards play a lil d?
Seriously. Why didn't the Wiz call a TO? Stuff doesn't add up.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<--- bandwagon pistons fan

Hoping to get some tickets to round 2
Old 05-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
“It was a very unmanly act, and it was unnecessary for our game,” commissioner David Stern said before Wednesday night’s game in Cleveland. “And if that doesn’t put our players on notice that we’re here to protect them — protect them — then I don’t know what will.”

Yet that unmanly Stern had no such similiar comments on the Reggie Evan nutt pull? Unreal. I would give Evans a minumal one year suspension.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Drifting

-110 means you bet 110 to win 100. the 205 is the over/under for the total score of the game

any betters on here?

i would highly reccomend the nets straight up in indiana, the suns +4.5 in LA, and the spurs -2 in sactown.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by iamhomin
Seriously. Why didn't the Wiz call a TO? Stuff doesn't add up.
Yeah...not a smart move by Arenas...but E. Jordan should have called a time out after LeBron's shot went in. How the heck do you give up the base line...and why was he not double teamed before the inbound pass. It doesn’t show the brilliance of LeBron, it shows the ignorance and inexperience of the Wizards.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NighthawkBlue
Yet that unmanly Stern had no such similiar comments on the Reggie Evan nutt pull? Unreal. I would give Evans a minumal one year suspension.
lol

I agree, he should have been suspended.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Here's hoping the Bulls can rebound and tie the series tonight.

Go Bulls!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Banned

Yeah...not a smart move by Arenas...but E. Jordan should have called a time out after LeBron's shot went in. How the heck do you give up the base line...and why was he not double teamed before the inbound pass. It doesn’t show the brilliance of LeBron, it shows the ignorance and inexperience of the Wizards.
Yeah werd, that shit pisses me off. The wizards are the suns of the east. No defense.
What the hell was jamison so scared about in blocking off the baseline?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NighthawkBlue
Old 05-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Here's hoping the Bulls can rebound and tie the series tonight.

Go Bulls!
Series is over, goodnight
Old 05-04-2006, 02:18 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Got this from the chicago tribune, thought it was pretty funny

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....-bulls-utility

Will Game 6 go Bulls' way? Time will tell

May 4, 2006

Thursday, 05/04/06, United Center, Chicago:

I can see it now.

5 p.m.: Miami Heat's team bus arrives for Game 6 of the Eastern Conference playoffs.

5:01: Shaquille O'Neal steps off the bus. A referee calls a foul on him.

5:02: Dwyane Wade falls in the parking lot, breaking his hip in two places. He probably won't be able to score more than 25 points now, 30 tops.

5:30: Bulls fans enter the arena, dressed in black. Any fan who comes dressed in white is a stinkin' Floridian.

5:45: TNT reports that Shaq's new baby and Kobe Bryant's new baby aren't speaking to one another.

6 p.m.: Bulls warm up. Tyson Chandler and Michael Sweetney rehearse being fouled by Shaq.

6:15: Wade needs a rest so he sits on Gary Payton's lap. Payton says, "Man, I'm not your bench."

6:30: Scott Skiles burns the film of Game 5 in the Bulls' locker room. He decides to motivate his players by showing "Scary Movie 4" instead.

6:45: Wade needs a towel so he rests his head on Payton's shirt. Payton says, "Man, I'm not your beach."

7 p.m.: House lights dim. During the introductions, Shaq has another baby.

7:01: In a surprise decision, Skiles' starting five includes Scottie Pippen, signed by John Paxson earlier in the day to a two-game contract.

7:02: After the jump ball, Shaq goes running up an aisle all the way to Michael Jordan's private box in an obvious attempt to avoid a foul. He gets called for one anyhow.

7:05: Luol Deng steals the ball for the Bulls while wearing a brand new pair of Air Dengs.

7:20: After one quarter, the Bulls lead 30-20 on the strength of 10 three-pointers by the streaky Ben Gordon.

7:21: Wade wants to write something down so he borrows Payton's pen. Payton says, "Man, I'm not your Bic."

7:27: Shaq sinks two free throws in a row, breaking his record of none in a row.

7:42: A wild pass by Antoine Walker goes into the stands, bouncing off at least 50 or 60 of his Chicago friends and family members.

7:43: The game has to be delayed when one of those fans ends up in a heated argument with Antonio Davis' wife.

7:50: Wade falls again on his injured hip. He is carried off on a stretcher. A doctor performs emergency surgery on Wade in the Miami locker room.

7:55: Wade returns to the game on crutches and scores on a sweet move around Kirk Hinrich.

8 p.m.: Halftime. Heat 60, Bulls 50, in part due to 10 consecutive three-pointers missed by the streaky Gordon.

8:05: Desperate for help, the Bulls go up to Andres Nocioni and ask how fast he can round up four of his former teammates from Argentina.

8:08: Shaq belches after a big gulp of Gatorade in the locker room and is called for his fourth foul.

8:22: Wade, in a wheelchair, scores the first 20 points of the second half.

8:30: To the rescue for the Bulls comes the surprising Malik Allen, as part of his new "Be Like Malik" campaign.

8:34: Back on top go the Bulls, much to the disappointment of golf's John Daly, who apparently has laid down a $50 million bet on Miami.

8:36: Shaq shoots a free throw that is deflected by one of the Bulls championship banners.

8:45: End of three quarters. Bulls 80, Heat 70, as the Bulls make the most of 30 more points on 10 shots by the streaky Gordon.

8:55: Shaq wakes up. He makes one of his patented 2-foot shots, then a 1-foot shot, then a 2-foot shot.

9 p.m.: Sweetney and Chandler try to stop Shaq by chaining him at the wrists and ankles in a United Center basement. It doesn't work.

9:05: It's almost over now. Wade dunks after an emergency double-hip replacement.

9:09: One last Bulls snort. Hinrich scores. Nocioni scores. Chandler scores. The fans are on their feet! They had no idea Chandler could score!

9:12: Only nine-tenths of a second to go, Bulls down by a point. Shaq shooting two free throws. The first one hits a BMW in parking lot C. The next hits a woman on her way home to Wisconsin. Bulls ball!

9:13: Air Gordon shoots, scores!

9:15: It is bedlam at the United Center as the Bulls and their fans go wild, all of them thrilled at the chance to go back to Miami and lose Game 7.

Last edited by FastAcura; 05-04-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:30 PM
drop em like its hot

lakers will end the series tonight. raja bell is out, its game time for kobe, lamarr scrotum, and kwame brown.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:47 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rezurex
lakers will end the series tonight. raja bell is out, its game time for kobe, lamarr scrotum, and kwame brown.
Didn't Kobe average about 44 ppg with raja bell in the lineup during the regular season?
Old 05-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by FastAcura
Didn't Kobe average about 44 ppg with raja bell in the lineup during the regular season?
sounds about right.

i doubt phil will deviate too much from their game plan. that said, i wouldn't mind seeing kobe be a bit more aggressive on the offensive side, as long as it is within the flow of the offense. i.e., driving the ball more and drawing fouls or dishing off to open teammates.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GTKrockeTT
i wouldn't mind seeing kobe be a bit more aggressive on the offensive side, as long as it is within the flow of the offense.
Exactly...couldn't have said it better my self. He must stay within the flow of the game. He also should take advantage of match-ups...I want him to look to shoot if he has a chump guarding which will probably be the case since Raja is fishing.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Suzuka Master

the game is about mismatches...now that kwame isn't performing as well in the past few games, and lamar keeps missing chippies at the rim, it's time for kobe to take advantage of whoever is guarding him. since this will likely be a number of suns doubling or tripling him, it's time for the rest of the lakers to move/cut to the basket.

do this, play solid D, and the rest of the suns will be joining raja on his fishing trip.

Quick Reply: NBA Discussion Thread