Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NBA: 2010 Off-Season and Draft Discussion Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Moral of the story: Never go to Cleveland, it's a hell hole.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,314 Likes on 967 Posts
One of the commenters in the article said he was taunting. That's going to get you kicked out since you might provoke a self-beatdown. If he were in Philly he'd be batteried. I don't give a shit about someone wearing another team's jersey, but if you're at a stadium provoking when you're outnumbered and they serve alcohol, then you're dumb. Now if he wasn't taunting, then that's pretty classless.

My prediction for the Heat. Squeak over .500
Old 07-30-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
One of the commenters in the article said he was taunting. That's going to get you kicked out since you might provoke a self-beatdown. If he were in Philly he'd be batteried. I don't give a shit about someone wearing another team's jersey, but if you're at a stadium provoking when you're outnumbered and they serve alcohol, then you're dumb. Now if he wasn't taunting, then that's pretty classless.

My prediction for the Heat. Squeak over .500
^ keep it classy Cleveland. Keep it Classy. Chances are that commentator is probably biased as well?

Pretty conservative prediction. I'd put them at about 60 games. Hell if Lebron can carry the Cavs to 60 games two straight seasons, then arguably he (and Wade) can do it with Miami.

Now playoffs is where I think they might suffer from lack of experience.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Now playoffs is where I think they might suffer from lack of experience.
...and depth
Old 07-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I think the lack a post-up game is the chink in their armor, especially when the game gets more gritty in the playoffs. I don't believe they have a credible system or coach either at this point....unless Riley comes out of office.

But still, they'll can win 60. The problem with predicting the east is that there are 3 or 4 credible Eastern Conference contenders. Heat, Orlando, Celtics, and maybe Chicago breaks through this year. How do you divide that up?
Old 07-30-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

^

Honestly, during the regular season I don't consider the Celtics a major threat. They'll likely have the same sub-par performance like last year during the season and make play offs, and its in the play offs where they will dominate.

IMO, I still think Chicago is a young team that needs to develop further.

Orlando is my pick from the east next year.

I'll be so bold as to say that the Heats will likely be 1 or 2 in the east going into playoffs next year, but again, I think they are likely to struggle in play-offs this first season together.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Safety Car

I can see what you're saying about the Cs...kinda doing what the Spurs did for awhile.

Chicago, however isn't as far back as I think you're saying....only because they have built a nice team around derrick rose with rebounders and shooters. So they might be more balanced as a team. Nowhere near the Heat, but decent enough to beat everyone but the elites (MIA and ORL).

I picked Orlando this year....if they don't run into the Celtics, I'm with you on that. Dwight just doesn't have enough countermoves yet though, but they are physical and have a ton of experience.

With that said....there's no way the Heat aren't going to be #1 going into the playoffs on sheer talent alone. But their bigs can be exploited, and Orlando and Chicago have decent ones.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm really happy with the signing of Eddie House, i predict the Heat will win 63 games this season
Old 07-30-2010, 08:29 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by BraveDemon
^

Honestly, during the regular season I don't consider the Celtics a major threat. They'll likely have the same sub-par performance like last year during the season and make play offs, and its in the play offs where they will dominate.

IMO, I still think Chicago is a young team that needs to develop further.

Orlando is my pick from the east next year.

I'll be so bold as to say that the Heats will likely be 1 or 2 in the east going into playoffs next year, but again, I think they are likely to struggle in play-offs this first season together.
Normally I would have agreed with you on your comment about the Celtics but now that things have changed in the East and having lost in this years finals I think that they realize the importance of home court advantage because honestly they probably would be NBA champs right now if they had it.

As far as the Heat they could win 60 games as for the playoffs its a toss up either they will be really good or they won't. There are several variables that need to come together for the playoffs the top 2 being coaching and decision making under pressure. Most of these guys haven't played together so they need to get used to how each others game will compliment each other and they will need to have an identity if they don't have a team identity or philosophy by mid season at the latest they aren't going to far in the playoffs.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Team Owner

Remember the Celtics won the Championship their first year with the Big 3 (Rondo wasn't even that good yet). Why couldn't Miami do it? I'm not saying they will, but it's not like their guys haven't been in the playoffs or Finals. Especially Wade and LBJ several times and very deep. Bosh sure only 11 games but he had fantastic stats in his last series 24/9 and that was against Orlando.

As for post up game, Bosh has that covered. Plus fantastic 3 point shooters to kick out too or a driving slashing superstar. We have pretty good depth too. Remember a lot of the vets we signed for the minimum are pretty good and plenty could of earned more elsewhere.

As far as the 07-08 Celtics team, if you look at their playoff scoring:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2008.html

You'll see that the only 4 players averaged double figures in scoring in the playoffs. The Big 3 and Rondo eeked in 10pts/game. Our "role" players can step in and have a good night as well.

Oh and Scalabrine was the 6th highest paid player on that team.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm probably more optimistic about Miami's chances than most. They should do fine in the regular season. In the playoffs, I think they match up well with everyone in the East but will have trouble with the Lakers.

There's a big dropoff after the "Big 3." To me they equate to (but are probably still collectively better than) Kobe, Gasol and Bynum (if healthy). Then you still have Fisher, Artest, Odom, Barnes, Vujacic, etc. Those guys have all hit big shots and have a lot of playoff experience. Chalmers, House, Miller, Haslem, Ilgauskas, etc just don't match up.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Lorenzen Wright

Lorenzen Wright's body was found Wednesday in the woods in southeast Memphis. He had been missing since July 18, when he left his ex-wife's house around midnight with an unidentified person. Police have ruled his death a homicide.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5429738
Old 08-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts
i wouldn't put Haslem in that category because if you watched the Heat games alot, he's a clutch shooter. he has bailed out the team many times in the past. He's the unsung hero for the heat. House is clutch in many times seen with Boston, when he gets hot, its almost like nothing is stopping him. as for the others i can agree to that.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Safety Car

I don't doubt the heat will be good, its a question of fit, chemistry, especially during the playoffs where teams can focus in on weaknesses.

The Celtics had the same questions before they won, and they went 7 games in each eastern conference series. They needed 6 games and homecourt to beat a Lakers team that was missing their best wing defender and starting center....and that only added Pau Gasol at midseason.

The Heat will do well in the regular season, but its very possible they will run into trouble through the playoffs, as the Celtic's experience suggests. Its not like the Celtics dominated, because they really didn't save for 1 game 6.

And there are many differences between the Celtics and Heat that are a whole separate post....so its easy to be optimistic when you get the 2 most marketed players in the NBA today, but the Heat, as configured, aren't as complete a team as the Celtics were in 08.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by asianspec
i wouldn't put Haslem in that category because if you watched the Heat games alot, he's a clutch shooter. he has bailed out the team many times in the past. He's the unsung hero for the heat. House is clutch in many times seen with Boston, when he gets hot, its almost like nothing is stopping him. as for the others i can agree to that.
Miller's pretty good too. He was a pretty coveted FA a little while back. Playing along side the 3 will probably prolong his career.

His size will help them in terms of defense and rebounding as well.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

^ Missed the comments regarding the Celtics, but I have to disagree with the comments about the Celtics losing against the Lakers due to home court advantage at the last finals.

If you recall, the Celtics had game 7 going into the half and through 75% of the 3rd quarter. The biggest x-factor: Pau Gasol dominating late in the game and not having a decent big to replace the injured Perkins.

I'm not saying home court advantage wouldn't have helped, but I don't think its as big a factor for veteran teams (i.e. Lakers and Celtics).

The biggest thing for the Celtics I foresee is managing the health and fatigue of their big three - lets face it, they are aging and slowing down. I personally wouldn't risk injuring or wearing out the Big 3 after the All-Star break next year. If the Celtics are in a good position at the all star break, most likely we'll see less minutes for the Big 3, and increased minutes for the bench to get them accustomed to playing increased minutes in the playoffs.

I still stand by my belief that having dominate bigs is a must in Playoffs. I'm not saying that the Heat can't win without a Pau/Garnett/Howard, but when you're coming down to the finals after having played close to 100 games in the year, fatigue starts to kick in: all those loose boards that are picked up by scrambling/scrappy guards start to disappear towards the end of the playoffs and the big men begin to pull alot of the weight around the basket.

Don't get me wrong Doom, I'm also rooting for the Heat next season and I think it'd be exciting to see them win a championship - but for this first season, I think we're going to more or less see the development of championship caliber team.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Also, This just in:

Heat NBA Season Opener:

Celtics vs. Heat

SHOULD BE EPIC~!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Team Owner

Heat at Lakers on Xmas too Heat vs Orlando homeopener 10/29

I agree that size helps. Bosh is more Garnett than those other guys so we have our strong big man. Would I call him a dominant player? Depends what you call dominant. I think more of a center crushing teams like old Shaq or Howard in the regular season. Bosh had the misfortune of playing in Toronto so his luster is dulled but if you look up his stats he did play a great series against Orlando in their last playoff run. And no you didn't hurt my feelings about Miami . I'm realistic too and am excited but great teams are great and Miami still has it's hands full and hasn't done jack yet.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Shaq signing with Celtics...just when you thought that they couldn't get any older
Old 08-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Team Owner

I wonder if he'll get usage in the playoffs since Perkins should be up to speed by then.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
I wonder if he'll get usage in the playoffs since Perkins should be up to speed by then.

He'll be useful against certain bigs in the playoffs. He could take the load off Perk by defending Bynum or Howard...

If Sheed decides not to retire the Celtics should have the most dominant front court. Their back court isn't too shabby either...
Old 08-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Safety Car

Shaq, if nothing else, is still the biggest human obstacle you can stick on a basketball court. He'll be great at hindering Bynum and Howard, but as was the case for the past decade, his pick and roll defense may be the one hole in their defense. I'd like to see how the Celtics deal with that, since they pride themselves on very cohesive team defense.

It'll be fun to watch the Big Leprechaun next to the KG. The east is easily the most interesting and competitive conference at this time.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by savage
He'll be useful against certain bigs in the playoffs. He could take the load off Perk by defending Bynum or Howard...

If Sheed decides not to retire the Celtics should have the most dominant front court. Their back court isn't too shabby either...
I think LA's front court is better. The O'Neals are shells. You guys pwned our O'Neal and Shaq is about done.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Bosh had the misfortune of playing in Toronto so his luster is dulled

i really hope he breaks his leg
Old 08-04-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

I think LA's front court is better. The O'Neals are shells. You guys pwned our O'Neal and Shaq is about done.
It's close but just from hearing the names from Boston..

O'Neal, O'Neal, Garnett, Perkins, Davis, Wallace (if he doesn't retire).... That's a big and mean front court.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:43 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Originally Posted by savage

Sheed is definitely retiring he that's one of the reasons they picked up Jermain O'neal to fill in his spot. The Celtics roster is full.

With Shaq's signing they without a doubt move to the front of the line in the East over the Miami Hype I mean Heat.
That being said the Lakers will still 3-peat AGAIN !
Old 08-04-2010, 08:09 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...ics-onealsigns

Shaq signs a 2-year contract to play with the Celtics.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:43 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,158 Likes on 835 Posts
Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by clpassenubye
Sheed is definitely retiring he that's one of the reasons they picked up Jermain O'neal to fill in his spot. The Celtics roster is full.

With Shaq's signing they without a doubt move to the front of the line in the East over the Miami Hype I mean Heat.
That being said the Lakers will still 3-peat AGAIN !
Honestly I don't know about Sheed. They could still trade him and his contract for another winger, but I just have a feeling he could be back. As he showed in the playoffs, especially Game 7, he still is a fairly dominant force on the low post when he uses it. I guess we will wait and see...
Old 08-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Safety Car

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakers...tter.html#more

The jist: Jim Rome calls out Shaq for underacheiving. Shaq, now peeved, challenges Jim Rome to fight. Rome wants more than 'veterans minimum' to get his face caved in by someone well out his weight class. All on Twitter... trash talking fun.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Safety Car

Shannon Brown signs 2 year deal w/ Lakers

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakers...th-lakers.html

My take: Good for continuity, good fit. Took less money and less of a role. He's been on the team for 3 finals and he knows his place. Looking at Shannon the individual, he doesn't put up huge stats, but the guy has been with the team 2.5 years and has bought into the system. He's athletic, he's got good reach, and his game is becoming very mature within the triangle.

He'll likely share minutes at both the 1 spot and the 2 spot behind both Kobe and Fisher, maybe share the backcourt with Steve Blake at times.

I'm pretty sure that's the last piece for the summer....I think The Machine will be moved because his contract is up this year but that'll likely happen during the season but well before the trading deadline.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nice, I really wanted shannon back for the lakers. No one else on the team is that athletic, and I think they need him to cover some of the quicker, more physical guards.

As much as the bulls should be good, i'm not sold on boozer. I think they'll have a good season cause of rose and thibs, but boozer to me always seemed like the kind of guy that would play well for a contract. I think their biggest pick up was ronnie brewer.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:30 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Shannon Brown signs 2 year deal w/ Lakers

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakers...th-lakers.html

My take: Good for continuity, good fit. Took less money and less of a role. He's been on the team for 3 finals and he knows his place. Looking at Shannon the individual, he doesn't put up huge stats, but the guy has been with the team 2.5 years and has bought into the system. He's athletic, he's got good reach, and his game is becoming very mature within the triangle.

He'll likely share minutes at both the 1 spot and the 2 spot behind both Kobe and Fisher, maybe share the backcourt with Steve Blake at times.

I'm pretty sure that's the last piece for the summer....I think The Machine will be moved because his contract is up this year but that'll likely happen during the season but well before the trading deadline.
Good news!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:20 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think the celtics have done well in the offseason.

the two o'neals are obviously past their best. but given limited minutes and roles, i think they can still add value to the team.

i was never really a shaq and have criticized for riding coattails over the last few seasons. but he's still a threat. you still have to keep an eye on him. who knows if KG can play at the level he did during the playoffs. PP is falling off quickly, but i think boston's done a good job with what they're able to do and/or not do.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
They were just looking for a bandaid while Perkins recovers and did a decent job adding the 2 Oneals until he returns. His absence was a glaring liability during the Finals IMO.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:09 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by surfer rick
They were just looking for a bandaid while Perkins recovers and did a decent job adding the 2 Oneals until he returns. His absence was a glaring liability during the Finals IMO.
Perk healthy, and the victory parade likely could have been in Boston
Old 08-07-2010, 04:53 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Originally Posted by MWalsh9152
Perk healthy, and the victory parade likely could have been in Boston
That's alright at least you had him most of the series unlike the Lakers 3 years ago missing Bynum. I would like to see both Lakers and Celtics all players totally healthy in the Finals this year no excuses. That would definitely be the best Finals matchup this year bar none especially since Shaq is now in green with envy that Kobe has 5 rings to his 4.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Safety Car

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5447171

For his b-day, the president played ball with a couple of Bulls, Lebron, Magic, Bill Russell, Wade, Melo. Kobe sat in and watched from the stands. All done for the benefit of wounded troops.

Helluva a birthday, Mr. President. Must be nice...
Old 08-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Pistons might sign McGrady...

Former All-Star Tracy McGrady could become a Detroit Piston very soon. McGrady, a former scoring champion who has been plagued with injuries in recent years, sparked Detroit's interest in the past day or so, a source with knowledge of the situation told The Detroit News. If he signs, it would be to the veterans' minimum, which is around $1.2 million. As of now, nothing is imminent but the sides are having serious discussions.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...-Tracy-McGrady
Old 08-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Safety Car

^^they also might be getting bought by the owner of the Red Wings.

Quick Reply: NBA: 2010 Off-Season and Draft Discussion Thread