Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NBA: 2010 Off-Season and Draft Discussion Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,314 Likes on 967 Posts
I'm hearing that Haslem got some nice offers most notably from Dallas. I know he wants to stay but we can't match these offers. That's one of my favorite all time Heat players.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
^ ...and there goes your interior defense. Cuz, lordo knows...Bosh can't guard anyone.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
I'm hearing that Haslem got some nice offers most notably from Dallas. I know he wants to stay but we can't match these offers. That's one of my favorite all time Heat players.
Yea he's also one of my favorites also. he's like the unsung hero for the Heat.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
I hope Haslem stays, he's one of my favorites as well. He's a very solid and consistent player.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by lowpost
Hold on let's be clear, Kobe attracted players and LED 2 championships. The first 3 were Shaq led, and with role players who wanted to play with Shaq.
If LA did not draft Kobe, Shaq would have never left Orlando to go to LA. Well, he likely would have still left Orlando, but he would not have been a Laker in 1996.

They were building a team around Kobe, and Shaq was a piece of the puzzle. Yes, he was a large piece... but LA was Kobe's team from the day they drafted him. Shaq shared the spotlight and leadership with him (but let's be honest, you can't win with a big man as your one and only star the way you can contend with just a star guard or forward), but Kobe proved it was his team when he forced Shaq out of LA and Kobe went on to win an additional 2 championships w/o him.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
FYI, the Hornets drafted Kobe and traded him for Vlade Divac
Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
If LA did not draft Kobe, Shaq would have never left Orlando to go to LA. Well, he likely would have still left Orlando, but he would not have been a Laker in 1996.

They were building a team around Kobe, and Shaq was a piece of the puzzle. Yes, he was a large piece... but LA was Kobe's team from the day they drafted him. Shaq shared the spotlight and leadership with him (but let's be honest, you can't win with a big man as your one and only star the way you can contend with just a star guard or forward), but Kobe proved it was his team when he forced Shaq out of LA and Kobe went on to win an additional 2 championships w/o him.
i agree, but technically LA didn't draft Kobe. Kobe was drafted by the Charlotte Hornets (you should know this JB!) and LA traded for him from the Hornets on draft day

edit: Paz beat me to it
Old 07-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Missing My CL-S

one thing i think about now: what if the Raptors didn't pass on D-Wade in the draft and took him instead of Bosh. where would the NBA be now. it's all the Raptor's fault!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by clpassenubye
I heard a snipet of the rally in Miami and I heard Lebron talk about them winning 7-8 championships and Wade said that they are arguably the best trio to ever play the game. I know the adrenaline was rushing but they are hardly the best trio to ever play and lets start with one before you get carried away.
Although I will admit that they do have the potential to be the greatest.

And yeah, as someone else pointed out, the odds of Miami winning next season at 8-1 is ridiculous. I had a friend who spent this past week in vegas text me that on friday evening.

I'm not about to count Miami out either. I think its a definite consensus that they will definitely make Play-offs, regardless of what their normal season looks like. I imagine their normal season to suffer from getting used to playstyles and synergy - but they should have alot of that sorted out before play offs.

If they do acquire Dfish (and thats a big "if" since Dfish appears to be more loyal then say James), keep Haslem, finalize Miller, I'd be so bold as to claim that they will clinch the east.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Oh... and on a side note....

Reverend Jackson getting involved on all this LeBron v. Gilbert ridiculousness.

Seems like the saga continues....

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...s4vYROU425CobP
Old 07-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Yumcha
^ ...and there goes your interior defense. Cuz, lordo knows...Bosh can't guard anyone.
There are other free agents to choose from.

I don't see it as Kobe kicking him out. I saw it more as the Lakers making the smarter move as to who was younger because Shaq was getting long in the tooth by the time he came to Miami. And you gotta give credit to Gasol to why he also won. Gasol is easily one of the best big men in the NBA today. Not Shaq dominant in the early 2000's but fantastic.

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Although I will admit that they do have the potential to be the greatest.

And yeah, as someone else pointed out, the odds of Miami winning next season at 8-1 is ridiculous. I had a friend who spent this past week in vegas text me that on friday evening.

I'm not about to count Miami out either. I think its a definite consensus that they will definitely make Play-offs, regardless of what their normal season looks like. I imagine their normal season to suffer from getting used to playstyles and synergy - but they should have alot of that sorted out before play offs.

If they do acquire Dfish (and thats a big "if" since Dfish appears to be more loyal then say James), keep Haslem, finalize Miller, I'd be so bold as to claim that they will clinch the east.
DFish will likely stay a Laker due to his family situation, medical situtation with his daughter, and the practice of Laker players using Miami teams for leverage (Odom!!!).
Old 07-12-2010, 01:41 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

While its true that the Lakers are Kobe's team now it was not Kobe's team from the day he was "traded" to the Lakers. When Shaq was acquired it was his team and Kobe didn't so much force Shaq out there were several things that happened to make Shaq want to leave 1) The Lakers wanted to pay him about 10 million less than he wanted on his extension 2) His relationship with Kobe had completely fell apart and they weren't that close to begin with. 3) Phil Jackson dedcided to leave and at the time Shaq had said if Phil leaves I will leave.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Raptors Make Some Trades

From TSN...

With Chris Bosh gone, Toronto Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo is wasting no time overhauling his roster.

According to various reports, the Raptors are on the verge of shipping Hedo Turkoglu to Phoenix for guard Leandro Barbosa and forward Dwayne Jones. The Raptors would then reportedly ship forward Reggie Evans and guard Jose Calderon to the Charlotte Bobcats for forward Boris Diaw and centre Tyson Chandler.

The Toronto Star also adds that the Raptors will not have to use their $14.5 million trade exception acquired last week from the Miami Heat in the sign-and-trade deal for Bosh.

Turkoglu has stated he wants out of Toronto just one season after choosing to sign with the Raptors over the Portland Trail Blazers last summer. The six-foot-10 Turkish forward averaged just 11.3 points a game with Toronto last season - his lowest total since 2003-04.

He was also a healthy scratch in late March after reports surfaced that he was at a Toronto nightclub shortly after missing a game against Denver due to a stomach virus. He was also fined by the Raptors. Turkoglu is owed US$43.8 million over the next four years.

When on his game, Turkoglu is a versatile forward who could replace some of the offence Phoenix lost when Amare Stoudemire signed with the New York Knicks.

Barbosa, originally drafted by Colangelo in Phoenix, is a quick guard who has played six seasons with the Suns. The Brazilian played in 44 games last year, averaging 9.5 points and 2.6 assists per game. His best season was in 2006-07, when he averaged 18.1 points and four assists per game.

Chandler, a nine-year veteran who played with the Bobcats, New Orleans Hornets and Chicago Bulls, averaged 6.5 points and 6.3 rebounds a game last season.

The move would give the Raptors a handful of expiring contracts to clear salary room in a couple of seasons - Barbosa has two years and $14.7 million left on his deal, Diaw has two years and $18 million left and Chandler will be paid $13.1 million in his final season this year.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Missing My CL-S

good riddance on Turkoglu. he was expensive garbage. Calderon should do well on the bobcats with their talent. hopefully Toronto can build through the draft b/c they'll probably be getting another nice pick this year + the 2 1st rounders they got from Miami
Old 07-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 669 Likes on 391 Posts
while its true that the lakers are kobe's team now it was not kobe's team from the day he was "traded" to the lakers. When shaq was acquired it was his team and kobe didn't so much force shaq out there were several things that happened to make shaq want to leave 1) the lakers wanted to pay him about 10 million less than he wanted on his extension 2) his relationship with kobe had completely fell apart and they weren't that close to begin with. 3) phil jackson dedcided to leave and at the time shaq had said if phil leaves i will leave.
+1
Old 07-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Team Owner

Nevermind Yum

IraHeatBeat: Just heard from Udonis Haslem. He has turned down far larger deals from the Nuggets and Mavericks . . . and will be back with the Heat!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SG81
i agree, but technically LA didn't draft Kobe. Kobe was drafted by the Charlotte Hornets (you should know this JB!) and LA traded for him from the Hornets on draft day

edit: Paz beat me to it
Well yeah, I did know that... but I still consider that drafted. He was traded the day before the draft b/c he had no intentions of playing in Charlotte. So, IMO, if he's traded on draft day in a pre-arranged deal, it's equivalent to being drafted by LA .
Old 07-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Senior Moderator

While its true that the Lakers are Kobe's team now it was not Kobe's team from the day he was "traded" to the Lakers. When Shaq was acquired it was his team....
See, I'm a huge Shaq fan... ever since college... and even so I always considered LA Kobe's team from day 1. Maybe b/c Kobe was drafted/traded on July 1st and Shaq was signed after the Olympics in late July.

Not sure, but I never considered it Shaq's team. Maybe b/c of the hype around Kobe.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:14 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Oh... and on a side note....

Reverend Jackson getting involved on all this LeBron v. Gilbert ridiculousness.

Seems like the saga continues....

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...s4vYROU425CobP
Jesse Jackson is just looking for attention his comments about this situation are absolutely stupid he should just go back under his rock and comment on things that are more relevant to him.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Nevermind Yum

IraHeatBeat: Just heard from Udonis Haslem. He has turned down far larger deals from the Nuggets and Mavericks . . . and will be back with the Heat!
Nice. Probably a smart move. Seems like the Heat will easily be finals contenders for the next few years, and it's a chance of a life time to play with "the three."

Now if Mike Miller is finalized and Dfish jumps ship to Miami....
Old 07-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Team Owner

Miller is a go already. DFish :shakehead. But I'm hearing rumors of other PG's so we'll see.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

^ I'm like 95% sure that Dfish will stay in LA. But hey, who the hell knows. I was like 95% sure that no team would land all three, but Miami did.

What other Point guards are rumored?

With the randomness of the post season this summer.... I predict Steve Nash will buy out his contract and flee to Miami to win a championship before he gets too old.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Missing My CL-S

i don't think Fisher will leave the Lakers/Kobe. he already made that mistake once
Old 07-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Team Owner

So far I've heard Keyon Dooling, Jason Williams, Carlos Arroyo, CP3 jk , and some others. Preferably a defensive one or 3 point shooter since we have enough offense I think.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Team Owner

Ok got a tweet from the Herald writer Mike Wallace that Fisher is for sure a Laker next year
Old 07-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Nash
Old 07-12-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

^
Old 07-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Interesting article most of you will disagree with

http://m.miamiherald.com/mh/db_42948...hz9all&src=cat

And what's funny is that bill simmons agreed back in 07 with Boston making the move for the big 3. He was on the radio arguing with Dan Le Batard why miamis wouldn't work when it's essentially the same concept.

That article is such a joke...

In fact, they're better than any three. Ever. Already.

The immediate argument one wants to make when you leapfrog these three over Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish, or ahead of Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and James Worthy is that two of the three have never won anything.

But that's because they have never played together. Skill-wise, James, Wade and Bosh are better than any other trio you can think of, including Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman, who frankly were the best ever, an all-star and an elite role player.

THREE OF A KIND

The numbers of the Celtics or Lakers trios don't compare to the numbers that Wade, James and Bosh have put up. And they are all entering this unprecedented experiment in the prime of their careers.
What is this writer smoking? Jordan, Pippen, Rodman would torch these guys. Same for the Lakers and Celtics big 3's from the 80's.

Also all those previous Big 3's thrived in a much more competitive league where more teams actually played defense and could hit jump shots.

Lebron and Wade are great players, but their stats wouldn't be as impressive if they played in those eras...
Old 07-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Maybe Rose will want to go to Miami.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by savage

What is this writer smoking? Jordan, Pippen, Rodman would torch these guys. Same for the Lakers and Celtics big 3's from the 80's.

Also all those previous Big 3's thrived in a much more competitive league where more teams actually played defense and could hit jump shots.

Lebron and Wade are great players, but their stats wouldn't be as impressive if they played in those eras...
Well, to start, MJ, Pippen, and Rodman can absolutely out-defend LeBron, Wade, and Bosh.

Those 3 were amazing defending as well as attacking. Miami's Big 3 are good offensive players...but, their defense...eh, not so much.

So, there is no comparison. And MJ would be frothing at the mouth for sure to ensure that his squad was supreme.

And honestly, do we need reminders that Pierce schooled LeBron in the playoffs this year...?
Old 07-12-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Originally Posted by savage

Can't really make that [people from one era is better than todays era] argument since Basketball has evolved significantly from the 80's.

I can almost say with certainty that the level of athleticism required in pro sports today is far greater than was required back in the "good old days."

I.E. Just being a good "jump shooter" isn't enough anymore, now you want the guy who can handle the ball, fast off the dribble and can create his own shots.

I would argue that the Miami Trinity COULD potentially be the greatest trio in history...
Old 07-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Bosh...? Really...?

REALLY?

Wade and LeBron are arguable elite players. But, Bosh...really?
Old 07-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Senior Moderator

If anything, Big 2 is more like it.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Yummy, Bosh is probably one of the (if not the) quickest 4s in the league, is extremely good at dribbling for his size (6'10), can create his own shots and has a great jumper.

He's not going to burn the quickest 1-3's, but for a big man he's pretty quick.

And come on... lets face it - his former team was poop. (No offense to you Toronto Fans out there).
Old 07-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Well, to start, MJ, Pippen, and Rodman can absolutely out-defend LeBron, Wade, and Bosh.

Those 3 were amazing defending as well as attacking. Miami's Big 3 are good offensive players...but, their defense...eh, not so much.

So, there is no comparison. And MJ would be frothing at the mouth for sure to ensure that his squad was supreme.

And honestly, do we need reminders that Pierce schooled LeBron in the playoffs this year...?

Oh I agree. I think Pippen is one of the most underrated defenders in NBA history.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Yummy, Bosh is probably one of the (if not the) quickest 4s in the league, is extremely good at dribbling for his size (6'10), can create his own shots and has a great jumper.

He's not going to burn the quickest 1-3's, but for a big man he's pretty quick.

And come on... lets face it - his former team was poop. (No offense to you Toronto Fans out there).
There is no denying his offensive abilities. They are good. But, I've never been a fan of his D...

He gets pushed around too much by bigger power forwards and centers that come his way.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Not defensive players?

Lebron was 1st team all defensive
Wade was 2nd team all defensive
Old 07-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
Not defensive players?

Lebron was 1st team all defensive
Wade was 2nd team all defensive
Compared to MJ, Pippen, and Rodman...? Nope...not even close.

Heck, I'd pick Bruce Bowen over them.

And let's be clear, I'm not hating your team. Just don't see them handed the title...yet.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bosh is a horrible man to man defender.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Originally Posted by chinoz
Bosh is a horrible man to man defender.
And ironically, Bosh holds the records for most of Toronto's defensive stats: Most defensive boards, most blocks, most offensive boards, most defensive boards, etc.

Quick Reply: NBA: 2010 Off-Season and Draft Discussion Thread