Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

MMA: UFC News and Discussion Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Yeah I was disappoint with Rampage letting Rashad off like that. I don't think either have a chance against Shogun.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Rampage should have gone in for the kill instead of letting Rashad recover. IDK why he was just standing there for 30 seconds instead of going for some knees or taking him to the ground.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:44 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by surfer rick
Rampage should have gone in for the kill instead of letting Rashad recover. IDK why he was just standing there for 30 seconds instead of going for some knees or taking him to the ground.
it could be the octagon jitters. He hasn't fought in almost 14 months i think.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:51 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
big

rashad was definitely wobbling.. i still don't know why he wasn't going in to finish it.. he had a chance..
Old 06-01-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Kinda late, but yeah I was super disappointed with Rampage. Rashad executed his game plan of pinning Rampage against the cage very well and to me Rampage seemed very timid after that early hook from Rashad in the first.

In the third, Rampage was just too gassed to take advantage of nearly knocking out Rashad.

I read that Rampage was 250 lbs going into training camp for that fight. Jesus, he had to cut 45 lb! I know he said that his weight wasn't a factor, but I call bs.

Losing that much weight so quickly wears you out and chances are he spent most of his time running/cycling/dieting just to make weight.

And it was apparent that his training wasn't as successful as it could have been - Rampage was no wear near as agile as before and had terrible stamina.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:08 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Kinda late, but yeah I was super disappointed with Rampage. Rashad executed his game plan of pinning Rampage against the cage very well and to me Rampage seemed very timid after that early hook from Rashad in the first.

In the third, Rampage was just too gassed to take advantage of nearly knocking out Rashad.

I read that Rampage was 250 lbs going into training camp for that fight. Jesus, he had to cut 45 lb! I know he said that his weight wasn't a factor, but I call bs.

Losing that much weight so quickly wears you out and chances are he spent most of his time running/cycling/dieting just to make weight.

And it was apparent that his training wasn't as successful as it could have been - Rampage was no wear near as agile as before and had terrible stamina.
Talk about stamina, Duffe had none. He was so tired after the 2nd round that the lucky single punch Russow landed was all he needed. I gotta give Russow credit though for eating all those punches and hanging in there until the end.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Duffee was gassed because he was teeing off on Russow at will. It reminded me of those old Pride heavyweight fights where the opponents would just go fist-to-cuffs back and forth. Jeebus he looks like he's on mad roids. KO by Russow was the bomb, lights out.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts

Rampage did look a little soft.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:28 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Duffee was gassed because he was teeing off on Russow at will. It reminded me of those old Pride heavyweight fights where the opponents would just go fist-to-cuffs back and forth. Jeebus he looks like he's on mad roids. KO by Russow was the bomb, lights out.
Yeah he has like tree trunk legs. I was surprised he didnt use more kicks. His legs remind me of Crocrop. Crocrop's fight with Bob Sapp has me when he lays a kick into Sapps side and he folds.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:33 PM

Bob Sapp.. what a big baby..
Old 06-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
Yeah he has like tree trunk legs. I was surprised he didnt use more kicks. His legs remind me of Crocrop. Crocrop's fight with Bob Sapp has me when he lays a kick into Sapps side and he folds.
LOL I remember that fight. Crocrop was the man back in the Pride days. I <3 Machida but it's still nice to see Shogun deliver in the UFC. Is it just me or have a lot of ex-Pride fighters not done as well after coming over to the UFC like Gono? I think a lot of them are just older now, or had their "knockout buttons" pushed a few too many times like Wanderlai.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:36 PM
I drive a Subata.

Crocrop was, and still is, my favorite MMA fighter, period.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:38 PM
1st TL-S on air in

LOL I remember that fight. Crocrop was the man back in the Pride days. I <3 Machida but it's still nice to see Shogun deliver in the UFC. Is it just me or have a lot of ex-Pride fighters not done as well after coming over to the UFC like Gono? I think a lot of them are just older now, or had their "knockout buttons" pushed a few too many times like Wanderlai.
That and i think UFC has more rules making fighters change there fighting style from Pride. Cause when UFC fighters go to Pride they get their ass kicked.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Team Owner

I 100% agree

Yeah I was shocked when they first came over and Crocop kept getting owned and others just didn't pan out. But then Anderson Silva who I didn't think much of in Pride comes in as the best fighter in UFC (or GSP).

That and i think UFC has more rules making fighters change there fighting style from Pride. Cause when UFC fighters go to Pride they get their ass kicked.
I think this is part of it. I remember Chuck getting beaten by Rampage and I think he was about in his prime.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 AM

So.. any bets on Rampage's post loss run in with authority?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Team Owner

He's gassing up his R8 as we speak...
Old 06-15-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Guess no one else saw UFC 115 over the weekend.

Anyhow Chuck Liddell. Gotta give the 40 year old credit - he went out swinging till the end.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:50 PM

I doubt anyone expected Liddell to win that match. Anyone watching the Stikeforce match tomorrow? Should be decent.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Stand For Something

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I watched it. And I give Liddell no credit... Don't get me wrong, I like him, I think he's a good person and was a good fighter. But, he should have never came back to the Octagon, it was beyond dumb of him considering the fights he had before his time off and just his overall condition. Especially his first fight back being against Rich Franklin. As soon as Franklin was announced to step in I knew there was no way on God's beautiful green earth Liddell was going to win.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Suzuka Master

^Yep Lidell had his knockout button pushed a few too many times. Ever since his devastating loss to Rampage, he hasn't been the same fighter.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

I agree Rick. That counter from Franklin didn't seem like it would do all that much damage - just a solid straight connect to the jaw of Liddell, which Liddell would've been able to shake off in his younger days.

Its blatantly apparent now that Chuck has a glass jaw.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Fedor vs. Werdum tonight! Not quite the match-up I wanted to see, but it's still Fedor. I hope he makes quick work of this guy so we can see Fedor vs. Overeem before the end of the year.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Safety Car

Holy shit Fedor lost!
Old 06-27-2010, 01:03 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadzilla
Holy shit he lost!
It doesn't really change my view towards him though. I think MMA is sort of "luck." There are guys that can get badly beaten throughout the round and in the end pull of some miraculous move and win ie Silva vs Chonan.

Fedor has proven so many times that he is a skilled fighter. This lost doesn't mean anything to me.

But damn, Cung Le and his kicks. Is he Chung Li's brother?

Last edited by mdkxtreme; 06-27-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:30 AM
Safety Car

I agree, somewhat. I think if Fedor were to fight Werdum 10 times, he'd easily win 7 or 8 out of the 10. But any fighter has a "puncher's chance." Or in this case, a BJJ chance.

I think this loss will have huge repercussions on Fedor's future. He's been talking about retirement. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes sooner rather than later. He won't get the shot against Overeem now. Who else is left in Strikeforce for him to fight? Bigfoot Silva is the only person left that he hasn't already beaten. And I doubt many people would be clamoring to see that fight. I don't think he'll sign with the UFC now, especially given Dana's attitude towards him and M-1 Global. Dana's reaction to tonight's fight:

I hope he continues to fight, and if so I'll continue to watch. But with the way things turned out tonight, I'm not so sure he's going to stick around.

Last edited by Shadzilla; 06-27-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:48 AM

^ I highly doubt that this loss will bring down Fedor's confidence in himself. I think Fedor's been in this game for too long and been in enough fights to know not to think lower of himself after just one loss.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
It doesn't really change my view towards him though. I think MMA is sort of "luck." There are guys that can get badly beaten throughout the round and in the end pull of some miraculous move and win ie Silva vs Chonan.

Fedor has proven so many times that he is a skilled fighter. This lost doesn't mean anything to me.

But damn, Cung Le and his kicks. Is he Chung Li's brother?

Fedor underestimated Werdum and lost. There was no luck in the outcome of that match.

I think Werdum dissing Overeem was very unprofessional. He needs to get off Fedor's dick. It will be interesting who Strikeforce sets up as Fedor's last fight.

Cung Le is a bad ass kickboxer. I've seen him knockout dudes with axe kicks, spinning heel kicks as well as punch them out.. anyone who stand with him in the ring is just asking for punishment. To win against Cung Le, they need to put him on the mat.

Originally Posted by Shadzilla
I agree, somewhat. I think if Fedor were to fight Werdum 10 times, he'd easily win 7 or 8 out of the 10. But any fighter has a "puncher's chance." Or in this case, a BJJ chance.

I think this loss will have huge repercussions on Fedor's future. He's been talking about retirement. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes sooner rather than later. He won't get the shot against Overeem now. Who else is left in Strikeforce for him to fight? Bigfoot Silva is the only person left that he hasn't already beaten. And I doubt many people would be clamoring to see that fight. I don't think he'll sign with the UFC now, especially given Dana's attitude towards him and M-1 Global. Dana's reaction to tonight's fight:

I hope he continues to fight, and if so I'll continue to watch. But with the way things turned out tonight, I'm not so sure he's going to stick around.
He'll go where the money is and the competition. Fedor has a long career though.. I see 5 fights left in him. If he loses again he should hang it up. Bigfoot Silva would be a badass match. Dana White is a tool.

Damn.. what do you guys think about Cyborg's match.. lol. I love watching her beat the shit out of her opponents. They need to match her with the guys at this rate.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Safety Car

Well now that the shock of Fedor losing has worn off - look what we've got coming up in 4 days:

Old 06-29-2010, 05:58 PM

I'm rooting for Carwin on this one.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:11 PM
I drive a Subata.

should be fun to watch.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Carwin FTW. I hate Lesnar. Looking forward to Leben and Brown fights too.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:33 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
I'm rooting for Carwin on this one.
^^^ i hope lesnar doesnt just tie up and take down carwin to lay all his weight on him and just punch.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:52 PM
I drive a Subata.

^ Lesnar's going to do just that, I think.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Stand For Something

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^ i hope lesnar doesnt just tie up and take down carwin to lay all his weight on him and just punch.
Originally Posted by JS + MS3
^ Lesnar's going to do just that, I think.
LOL You talk like Lesnar is going to be able to do anything he wants with Carwin. You realize he hasn't fought anyone near his own size and strength yet right? Herring was a little taller than Lesnar, but he wasn't as massive or even close to as strong as Lesnar. Neither was pre-265LB Frank Mir. Carwin is the same size, and has shown he has as much, if not more, power than Lesnar. "Tie up and take down" is not going to be an easy feat, at all.

Carwin and his camp are well aware that Brock's gameplan is probably going to be just that: tie up and/or take down. So Carwin is going to look to time a take-down attempt and throw an uppercut or low hook at it. And after the Mir fight, I kinda doubt Lesnar is going to want to get in the clinch with him.

Idk when it will happen - may be quick, may take 4 or 5 rounds - but I guarantee Lesnar gets dropped.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:35 PM

I'll be hibernating until UFC 117
Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ASASN21
Carwin is the same size, and has shown he has as much, if not more, power than Lesnar. "Tie up and take down" is not going to be an easy feat, at all.
Actually, he's a little bit bigger. During a conference call a few days ago, Lesnar said he was already at 265 and "feeling great" - Carwin said he was at 275, but the weight cut "wouldn't be a problem."

But I agree with everybody else. I don't think Lesnar is going to want to stand and bang with Carwin, given his recent string of KO victories. The only other option is to try and take him down. Whether he's successful, we'll find out on Saturday.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:20 AM
Watch your back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go Carwin and go Grove!
Old 07-03-2010, 09:38 PM

omg the undercard for UFC 116 is pretty boring....
Old 07-03-2010, 11:30 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Leben fight was great.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:44 PM

Main, the main event was a good one. That one didn't disappoint at all.

Quick Reply: MMA: UFC News and Discussion Thread