Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

MMA: UFC News and Discussion Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
I really can't wait for UFC 112 though. Two "main events" in one PPV. Gonna be awesome.
There's been some interesting developments over the last few days:

From http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/7/...ead-ufc-112-to

Weather might be a factor:
"I've always been terrified of doing an outdoor show. If it starts raining and the wind starts blowing ... right now there's no Plan B. The high possibility of rain happening... it's not gonna happen. It's not gonna rain there; we know it's not gonna happen. It would have to be crazy for it to rain in Abu Dhabi. Wind could be a factor. It's very dusty and sandy there. I'm worried about the wind."

UFC President Dana White puts his fate in the hands of Mother Nature heading into the promotion's first-ever outdoor event slated for the Concert Arena at Ferrari World on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi. While rain doesn't come too often in the desert, it's not unusual for high winds and sandstorms to wreak havoc at a moment's notice.
The stadium isn't finished being built yet:
Speaking of the arena at UFC 112, tickets are going fast and Flash Entertainment has released additional tickets due to the "overwhelming demand". Of course, judging by the latest stadium photograph the stadium doesn't exactly appear to be a 20,000 or even 15,000+ venue. Still, it is going to be very interesting to see what kind of crowd is in attendance this Saturday.
And finally, there's a possibility we won't see any from the ring girls:
For those who aren't up to speed with Arab and Muslim cultures here is quick refresher. Abu Dhabi may be one of the more liberal Gulf countries --then again, when your neighboring emirate is arresting people for kissing in public it isn't hard to be considered "liberal"-- and women are not required to wear the hijab (head scarf) but local women still wear abayas (the long black, flowing garb), which covers their bodies, heads and sometimes faces, as a sign of modesty. Obviously there are different expectations for Westerns in country but the Emirate's official English language tourist site states that, "[women and men] are advised not to wear excessively revealing clothing in public places, as a sign of respect for local culture and customs. This also applies to public beaches, where swimmers should avoid excessively revealing swimming suits."

Will Zuffa send the Octagon Girls in their boy shorts to walk the cat walk in front of a Muslim crowd that may be offended? Or will Chandella and Arianny wear different, more Muslim friendly attire at UFC 112?
Old 04-07-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
^ The f*ck?

I've seen plenty of outdoor events from boxing and MMA and in my opinion they just don't seem right to me. Something about the vibe of outdoors just doesn't seem right.

Also, I read that this event is taken place on the other side of the world. And so people who usually go to sports bars or Hooters at 10 pm EDT will now have to watch it at 1 EDT. This sucks because my buddies got work in the day time and we always go to a sports bar after work and get rowdy. How the hell can we get rowdy now at 9 AM PDT

This is gay.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:10 PM

Ahh well UFC will still air the fight at normal time here in the USA. But does that mean it's a taped event and not live? Because I don't wanna spend the whole day trying to dodge someone spoiling the results
Old 04-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Stand For Something

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ever since 112 was announced to be held in Abu Dhabi ive been wondering what's going to happen a few days before the fight - for exactly the same reasons that Shadzilla posted. Will the stadium be ready? Weather conditions? Who knows what's going to happen...

I, for one, am not a fan of the outdoor events.

Originally Posted by xdaex
It sure is,I wanna how Frankie Edgar is going to do with BJ, good fight there.
Good fight? I have nothing against Edgar, but he is going to get absolutely WRECKED. I think that's pretty obvious...
Old 04-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Safety Car

^ The f*ck?

I've seen plenty of outdoor events from boxing and MMA and in my opinion they just don't seem right to me. Something about the vibe of outdoors just doesn't seem right.

Also, I read that this event is taken place on the other side of the world. And so people who usually go to sports bars or Hooters at 10 pm EDT will now have to watch it at 1 EDT. This sucks because my buddies got work in the day time and we always go to a sports bar after work and get rowdy. How the hell can we get rowdy now at 9 AM PDT

This is gay.

Ahh well UFC will still air the fight at normal time here in the USA. But does that mean it's a taped event and not live? Because I don't wanna spend the whole day trying to dodge someone spoiling the results
I'm worried about the same thing. I'll have to avoid any kind of sports coverage for the day. It will air live at 1PM EDT, and then replay again at 10PM EDT.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
Guys, it's the same shit as before with UK and Australia. It's not hard to ditch the spoilers. Just tell your friends not to be assholes. lol

Oh and my predictions. I'm confident in the winners, but not on the result.
-Silva via knockout in 3rd round
-Penn via submission (choke) in 3rd round
-Hughes via submission (choke) in 2nd round
Old 04-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by UNCTYPE-S
Guys, it's the same shit as before with UK and Australia. It's not hard to ditch the spoilers. Just tell your friends not to be assholes. lol

Oh and my predictions. I'm confident in the winners, but not on the result.
-Silva via knockout in 3rd round
-Penn via submission (choke) in 3rd round
-Hughes via submission (choke) in 2nd round
Australia was broadcast live. I believe the last uk one was as well, but Im not positive about that.

As far as your predictions go, I think you got it right on the money. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see either silva or Penn finish their opponents earlier than rd 3.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Above n Beyond

^I'm giving Edgar and Maia the benefit of the doubt. Plus I'm hoping they give the "UFC" fans a good show because we all know they will boo after 1min of no punching. LOL
Old 04-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Edgar is underrated and may pose somewhat of a challenge to BJ, I agree may go 3 rounds but Penn will prevail.

Silva submission 1st or 2nd round, he's too much fighter for Maia.

Gracie?!?! Age is definitely working against him so I'd go with Hughes. Who the f makes their UFC debut at 43? Nothing but promotional crap executed by master pupeteer Dana White.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Above n Beyond

^Eh, gracie has been fighting in other divisions though so he is no slouch. Age doesnt really matter. Look at Carwin coming back at 40something, Kimbo and Brock also as marketing tools.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Suzuka Master

True true. Carwin was an f-in beast man watching him bloody Mir I did not expect a one-sided fight. Anyhow, this shit is on at 7 AM HST so I have to go 9 frickin hours until PPV telecast starts at 4 PM avoiding all phone calls, interweb, etc. I'm strongly considering avoiding watching 112 at the sports bar I usually go to, knowing full well some douchebag will spill the results.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by surfer rick
True true. Carwin was an f-in beast man watching him bloody Mir I did not expect a one-sided fight. Anyhow, this shit is on at 7 AM HST so I have to go 9 frickin hours until PPV telecast starts at 4 PM avoiding all phone calls, interweb, etc. I'm strongly considering avoiding watching 112 at the sports bar I usually go to, knowing full well some douchebag will spill the results.
Hahaha, that's exactly what I told my friends.

And it's true about the internet because the moment you hit UFC 112 in google, there's probably gonna be results that tells you the results of the fight. That happened to me when I searched UFC 110 fight card and damn google tells me right off the bat Nogueira got knocked out. I was mad.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by ASASN21
Good fight? I have nothing against Edgar, but he is going to get absolutely WRECKED. I think that's pretty obvious...

This is probably one of the biggest cards we've seen in a while. Not too many people are hyping the munoz vs. grove match but I think it'll be an epic battle. I'm guessing munoz will try to put Kendall on his back and move to the gnp but I predict Grove will win by submission. Damn... 1 more day!!!!
Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 AM

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xcvc4e"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xcvc4e" width="480" height="360" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b>
Old 04-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Safety Car

And it's true about the internet because the moment you hit UFC 112 in google, there's probably gonna be results that tells you the results of the fight. That happened to me when I searched UFC 110 fight card and damn google tells me right off the bat Nogueira got knocked out. I was mad.
I already got the Bellator Fighting Championship's first episode spoiled for me, didn't expect the results to be one of the headlines on my phone's news ticker.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:47 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just gotta start drinking at like 6am lol or party all night until the fight at 7am. Whatever the case i gotta figure out a game plan for the fight. Gotta support our local fighter.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
Just gotta start drinking at like 6am lol or party all night until the fight at 7am. Whatever the case i gotta figure out a game plan for the fight. Gotta support our local fighter.
I wish, I got clinic until noon then going out to Campbell to check out furniture. Guarantee some kook with tribal tats and an Affliction shirt is going to be like "brah, you should have been here at 6am supporting Bijaya, he wen knock out Edgar was mean brah"
Old 04-09-2010, 02:56 PM

Y! Sports reported that since it's broadcasting live they are going to show spoilers right after so anyone risking waiting until night to watch it is probably going to hear who won anyways.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Majofo

Y! Sports reported that since it's broadcasting live they are going to show spoilers right after so anyone risking waiting until night to watch it is probably going to hear who won anyways.
That is a given. Almost ANY sports channel/site would post the results because like any other media, they always want to post the latest and greatest. No sports site out there wants to post a delayed result.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:03 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish, I got clinic until noon then going out to Campbell to check out furniture. Guarantee some kook with tribal tats and an Affliction shirt is going to be like "brah, you should have been here at 6am supporting Bijaya, he wen knock out Edgar was mean brah"
Nah the moke going sound like this. brah fuken b.j. wen crack edgar, den he went ground and pound dat faka's face, cheeee whooooo. was mean cuz you should of seen um.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
Nah the moke going sound like this. brah fuken b.j. wen crack edgar, den he went ground and pound dat faka's face, cheeee whooooo. was mean cuz you should of seen um.
Roja dat. 10-4 out
Old 04-09-2010, 03:25 PM

Old 04-10-2010, 02:08 PM

I'll spoil one thing......there were booty shorts

Edit: Holy crap didn't know I reached 1k posts
Old 04-10-2010, 03:32 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
probably going to watch the fight tonight at BW3 with some friends.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ASASN21
So much for your prediction, yes BJ lost....
Old 04-10-2010, 03:53 PM

So much for your prediction, yes BJ lost....
See OMG dude you are the kind of douchebag I was talking about. Why you gotta spill it for?
Old 04-10-2010, 03:56 PM

Edgar didn't win.. and BJ didn't defend the title.. Of all the people, he knows better to not let it go to the judges. I can't believe some SOB scored it 50-45.. BJ outpunched Edgar all 5 rounds. This was one of the most disappointing hyped UFC cards I've ever watched.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:04 PM

See OMG dude you are the kind of douchebag I was talking about. Why you gotta spill it for?
ha ha don't get your panties all in a bunch man, its all over yahoo.com. So go tell them not ever spoil it again.

Damn to think I was going to order the fight but remember it was going to be in Abu Dhabi, I said never mind Ill see the results before I see the fights and spoil the fun.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Majofo
Edgar didn't win.. and BJ didn't defend the title.. Of all the people, he knows better to not let it go to the judges. I can't believe some SOB scored it 50-45.. BJ outpunched Edgar all 5 rounds. This was one of the most disappointing hyped UFC cards I've ever watched.
SPOILER:

I actually think Edgar did win that fight. The exchanges were pretty much even. I think the fact that Edgar got a take down and BJ looking tired in the 5th round was what made the judges favor Edgar. I do agree that BJ did win some of the rounds so whoever did that 50-45 was pretty lame.

And I agree. I was so hyped for this match and it did not deliver at all. Anderson was pretty lame in that match too.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:07 PM

ha ha don't get your panties all in a bunch man, its all over yahoo.com. So go tell them not ever spoil it again.

Damn to think I was going to order the fight but remember it was going to be in Abu Dhabi, I said never mind Ill see the results before I see the fights and spoil the fun.
You must not have a lot of friends.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:12 PM

Man relax its all in good fun, dont take it personal or anything more than likely everybody that comes here checks yahoo or some other type of media outlet and they are announcing the results, so yeah I didnt like that they did that but oh well, save me some few dollars.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:15 PM

I watched it for free yet I feel raped. I want my afternoon back.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:09 AM

I swear it's like every time I get hyped for a fight things just doesn't deliver.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:33 AM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts

i think i spent more time checking out all the chicks there...
Old 04-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Stand For Something

So here are my two predictions for the next few days...

1. Dana White will make a statement concerning Silva's conduct AND lack of attack during his fight.

2. A statement or article will come out concerning BJ Penn and his mental/physical status before and during that fight.

I am sure all of us can agree that BJ Penn was not at all his normal self for this fight. From the second they showed him walking out with that completely blank oblivious stare on his face and licking his lips the whole time I knew there was something up with him. He was the polar opposite for the Sanchez fight. He came out hyped up as shit and was extremely active the entire fight. This fight he seriously looked like he was drugged up or something. Plus the fact he had that knee sleeve on makes me think he injured his knee and was trying to mask the pain with something. I dunno what it was... but that was not the real BJ Penn in that cage.

As far as Silva goes... I have no words for that guy. The first 2 rounds he came out and looked like a complete master of the sport and basically showed there was no way anyone could possibly beat him, let alone Maia. Then after that he just got stupid. He should have embarrassed Maia (as he did) and then finished the fight right after that. Everybody would have applauded him for his skill and complete domination. Instead, he had the crowd (myself included) booing him and cheering for Maia to win because he decided to be a douchebag and run around the cage making zero engagements.

We'll see what happens...
Old 04-11-2010, 01:09 AM
Stand For Something

FIRST PREDICTION FULFILLED!

http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/201...te/index.shtml
Old 04-11-2010, 01:23 AM

The commentators assumed that Silva was getting tired after the 3rd round. Maybe that might be true. But for Silva to not finish the fight in the second round is ridiculous. Winning by decision is not how a champ is suppose win.

Yea BJ did not seem like himself in this fight. After every bell his face just looks so blank. That Sanchez fight, oh my lord, BJ was an animal. If there was something wrong with BJ that night then I would feel a lot better about BJ losing because watching him give up his belt was damn painful.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:50 AM

That's exactly what I thought when BJ stepped out, but in the ring he did exactly what he said he would.. Stand and bang.. not a poor decision at first but when it looked like it was going to end up in the judges hands, somewhere after the 3rd.. he should have taken it to the ground.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:10 AM

FightMetric has released it's report for the B.J. Penn/Frank Edgar fight at UFC 112. Here's the Effectiveness Score and ten point must system scoring round-by-round:

<table align="center" border="1"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Round</td> <td>Penn</td> <td>Edgar</td> <td>TPM</td> </tr> <tr> <td>1</td> <td>94</td> <td>34</td> <td>10-9 Penn</td> </tr> <tr> <td>2</td> <td>110</td> <td>28</td> <td>10-9 Penn</td> </tr> <tr> <td>3</td> <td>55</td> <td>43</td> <td>10-9 Penn</td> </tr> <tr> <td>4</td> <td>57</td> <td>55</td> <td>10-10</td> </tr> <tr> <td>5</td> <td>63</td> <td>96</td> <td>10-9 Edgar</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Total</td> <td>373</td> <td>263</td> <td>49-47 Penn</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

Well, that really puts a dent in Douglas Crosby's 50-45 scorecard now, doesn't it?
That said, while the first two rounds very clearly go to Penn, rounds 3-5 are close enough that it's defensible to give Frankie Edgar a 48-47 decision. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

Still, with a 100 point advantage in the Effectiveness Score (and personally scoring the bout the exact same way as FightMetric when I watched the fight "live"), Edgar's victory leaves a sore taste in my mouth.

Notable stats:

-FightMetric credited Edgar with 13 takedowns attempts, with 1 success. They did not award him a takedown in round 2 because "he was unable to establish an advantageous position before Penn got back to his feet."

-Penn edged Edgar in total strikes 72 to 63.

-Penn edged Edgar in HiPer strikes 71 to 61.

-Penn attacked more to the head with 61 of his 72 strikes, while Edgar threw 24 of his 63 strikes to the legs and body.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/11/1415161/fightmetric-report-for-b-j-penn-vs

I hope both those judges commit seppuku
Old 04-11-2010, 02:24 AM
Safety Car

I still can't believe BJ lost.....

Quick Reply: MMA: UFC News and Discussion Thread