Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

MMA: UFC News and Discussion Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
So this is what you get after five rounds when you question BJ Penn's cardio.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Just like everyone else, I was expecting a much closer fight. That was more of a clinic for BJ than a championship match, damn he just annihilated Diego. After almost getting KO'd in the first round you knew Diego was no match for BJ. The kick that caused that gash on Diego's head was brutal and the replay of it made me cringe. Also, talk about heart, Diego displays what it means to never give up and to always believe in yourself and he proved this last night. To stay in there and take a beating for five rounds says something about having confidence in yourself and to have a "never die" attitude. Unfortunately he paid the price for that attitude ^^^see above picture^^ DAMN!!

The rest of the matches were pretty entertaining. It was funny seeing Buentello having to jump to hit Struve in the head, it reminded me of Mac in Mike Tyson's Punch Out . Florian's the man and his boxing has gotten real good. Gouveia must be upset by getting beat by a man dressed in hot pink shorts and corn rows. But the most impressive fight for me was Mir and his quick work of Kongo. Hopefully Mir will stick to his new training regiment so he can get another shot at Lesnar and retain the belt (provided that Lesnar still has the belt by Mir's next shot at the championship). All in all I enjoyed UFC 107.

Last edited by madcaps; 12-13-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worst cut I've seen in MMA... His lip was split in half too I think. At the end when they raised Penn's hand ....Didn't even look like he was in a fight.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:49 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
I came into the fight rooting 100% for Penn. But after the fight, I have much more respect for Sanchez because of his heart and determination. That guy just keeps getting back up no matter how many times Penn knock him down. Even after that kick and a flurry of uppercuts from Penn, Sanchez was still standing trying to throw some punches. That guy is a tough fighter.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
I knew Penn was one of the best but dayam. The Prodigy amazed me even more.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:12 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Some bloody ass fights this past weekend! I thought Clay Guida got bloodied up til I saw Diego Sanchez, his face was destroyed! BJ definately impress the shit outta me.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I watched this fight at Buffalo Wild Wings in Buena Park with a massive group of my friends (mixed group of asian and white guys). We were the minority of people in there rooting for BJ. Most of the people there were rooting Diego, and saying rude comments saying that Diego was going to rape BJ's "chinky" ass just loud enough so my friends and I could hear it.

First round begins, and bam, diego gets punked. My friends and I are in an uproar, everyone else in there was dead silent. Rest of the rounds was pretty much the same.

I am a BJ Penn fan, and seriously he came through huge this fight.

Edit: Btw, anyone else think Struve was reminiscent of Sagat? :lol: He lost a tooth when his "Tiger Knee" got countered by a punch to the face.

Last edited by BraveDemon; 12-14-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:36 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Penn was impressive.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by madcaps
Just like everyone else, I was expecting a much closer fight. That was more of a clinic for BJ than a championship match, damn he just annihilated Diego. After almost getting KO'd in the first round you knew Diego was no match for BJ. The kick that caused that gash on Diego's head was brutal and the replay of it made me cringe. Also, talk about heart, Diego displays what it means to never give up and to always believe in yourself and he proved this last night. To stay in there and take a beating for five rounds says something about having confidence in yourself and to have a "never die" attitude. Unfortunately he paid the price for that attitude ^^^see above picture^^ DAMN!!

The rest of the matches were pretty entertaining. It was funny seeing Buentello having to jump to hit Struve in the head, it reminded me of Mac in Mike Tyson's Punch Out . Florian's the man and his boxing has gotten real good. Gouveia must be upset by getting beat by a man dressed in hot pink shorts and corn rows. But the most impressive fight for me was Mir and his quick work of Kongo. Hopefully Mir will stick to his new training regiment so he can get another shot at Lesnar and retain the belt (provided that Lesnar still has the belt by Mir's next shot at the championship). All in all I enjoyed UFC 107.
Very good assessment. Bijaya was in phenomenal cardio, looks like his regimen with Marinovich this year has paid significant dividends. His ability to counter single and doubleleg takedowns is legend and he definitely outboxed Sanchez. I believe he could have submitted Diego in round 1 but was making him pay for shooting off his mouth about BJ's conditioning.

I was pulling for Clay and was somewhat bummed he was submitted. He always puts on a good show. K-Flo was awesome.

Mir looked great in dismantling Kongo who may be a great kickboxer but still has a ways to go in the MMA game.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Safety Car

If we do indeed see Penn vs. GSP III, I hope BJ can keep up this level of cardio and conditioning at 170. And hopefully GSP can keep the vaseline off his back.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Post Lesnar to Return by Summer...

Story here: http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=306923
Old 01-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Team Owner

Glad hes back!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
Meh
Old 01-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
how has no one talked about the upcoming evans vs. jackson fight:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17407/dana...ed-for-may.mma
Old 02-09-2010, 04:41 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

After watching Evans last fight he will probably just try and hold Rampage against the cage and eek out a decision like he did against Silva.

Anyways did anyone watch UFC 109?

The 'guido midget' Matt Serra destroyed twinkle toes Trigg. Not a fan of either guy but I thought it was lame how Trigg was complaining about bad stoppage. Dude you got rocked and your head was bouncing off the mat, the stoppage was legit.

Maia/Miller was boring as hell and the fight is best described in Joe Rogan's words. "It looked like an amatuer kick boxing match"

Swick got owned by Paulo Thiago who clearly has a stronger chin, a stronger punch, and stronger submissions than Swick.

I was surprised Nate the Great lost this fight. Credit to Chael for just straight up being relentless though. He was non-stop all over Nate right from the start. I still think Nate has/had a better chance of defeating Anderson Silva though.

Ahh the main event, they should have called this UFC 109 - Old Dudes Fighting because to be honest, Mark Coleman looked old. This was a very one sided fight, Couture dominated him the whole time. The highlight of this fight was during the post fight interview Tito and Coleman yelling at each other and Coleman called Tito a douchebag
Old 02-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Stand For Something

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Personally, I think Trigg is a joke. This is his second fight "back" (first being against Koscheck), and in both fights he complained about early stoppage. Really man? C'mon. You were getting owned in both fights.

EDIT: I actually missed 109 so I cannot comment on anything else.

Last edited by ASASN21; 02-09-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:15 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Let me sum up the 109 fight for you. Trigg gets punched in the face and falls backwards. Serra jumps on him and punches Trigg in the face multiple times and Triggs head is bouncing off the mat. Fight is stopped due to KO 2 minutes into the 1st round.

It was a 100% legit stoppage, no questions. Yet Trigg still complained.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:19 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Here is a gif

Old 02-09-2010, 07:23 PM
One on the right for me

Dribbling his head like a basket ball
Old 03-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Safety Car

GSP is starting to get a little too predictable/boring for me. I really think it's time he move up to middleweight. Shane Carwin is a monster. I can't wait to see him and Brock fight.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Received 381 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadzilla
GSP is starting to get a little too predictable/boring for me. I really think it's time he move up to middleweight. Shane Carwin is a monster. I can't wait to see him and Brock fight.
+1 it'll be a good one
Old 03-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Stand For Something

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Exactly. His last 3 fights have been the same way. He really has no other choice but to go up to middleweight; if he doesn't, I think he is going to be highly criticized. There's just nothing else he could possibly do as a welterweight.

Shane Carwin impressed the shit out of me last night. Granted i'm a huge Frank Mir fan, but I thought simply based on skills, experience, and past opponents, Mir would take this fight without much trouble. I gave Carwin a slight chance to win because of his ridiculous strength, but I NEVER thought it would be as quick as it was. I can honestly say it was the most shocked I have ever been from the results of a fight.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Above n Beyond

I have to disagree with you guys. GSP is the champ for a reason (look at silva and BJ Penn). It takes a well rounded fighter to be the champ. It takes someone who is well rounded to BEAT the champ. As you may have heard the post conference with Dana White, Hardy was not well rounded and did not have any takedown defense. GSP found this hole and took advantage - very smart!

It may have been a boring fight to you guys, but GSP did what he had to do to win. Would make no sense for GSP to stand with Hardy and it was no secret that GSP was going to take him down before the fight even happened.

I hope Carwin shuts that WWE wrestler mouth up. Can't stand him.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:37 AM

^ I agree

Even though GSP is boring to watch sometimes, what else do you want him to do? He damn near tore off Hardy's arm, twice. They did some stand up and GSP did throw some good shots. But if he see's an opening for a take down, then why not?

But I would like to see GSP go up a weight due to his strength over a lot of guys in the welterweight. Seems kinda unfair because smaller guys on their backs are more than likely to lose. Now if GSP took down a bigger opponent, he might think twice about a take down because bigger opponents might have a better chance pushing GSP off.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 AM

BTW, you can hear some booing from the crowd after some of GSP's take down. GSP might take that into consideration and change up his style a bit to please the crowd. Because he did apologize to his fans after the fight. So who knows what his next fight will be like.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Above n Beyond

I don't think any fighter should apologize to the fans for what HIS gameplan was. If they wanna boo, then fucking boo.

Also, I dont think GSP or any fighter should jump weight classes unless they want to. Not pressure from the media, fans, Dana, etc...He is the champ of that weight class and could be for a long time. Why would he leave? Because he keeps winning? Derrrrr. Instead of him jumping weight classes to potentially lose to someone who has been fighting at that weight for a while, why doesn't Dana bring in someone who can keep up? People dont understand how much 15lbs is to a fighter and what they have to go through.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:43 AM
One on the right for me

I enjoyed the fight. GSP had a good approach and it worked very well for him. He doesn't need to change anything.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by UNCTYPE-S
I don't think any fighter should apologize to the fans for what HIS gameplan was. If they wanna boo, then fucking boo.
Well, like I said, I think GSP is getting boring/predictable for ME. I certainly don't think he should change his game plan to satisfy me, or any other fan. He needs to stick with what works, because in the end a win is a win, and he's gotta do whatever it takes to keep that belt around his waist. I don't think an apology is completely inappropriate though. In the end, this sport is "entertainment" - people buy tickets and ppvs to be entertained. GSP said himself that he wanted to win the fight in "spectacular" fashion. I think he'd prefer to send fans home happy, and when he failed to do so, he apologized. Not necessary, but nice to see that he acknowledges it.

Also, I dont think GSP or any fighter should jump weight classes unless they want to. Not pressure from the media, fans, Dana, etc...He is the champ of that weight class and could be for a long time. Why would he leave? Because he keeps winning? Derrrrr. Instead of him jumping weight classes to potentially lose to someone who has been fighting at that weight for a while, why doesn't Dana bring in someone who can keep up?
I do agree with you here that a fighter should only change weight class if it's his decision. But if you listen to GSP's recent interviews, he talks a lot about how he now fights not for a championship, but for a legacy. He's already proven dominance at welterweight. He's cleaned out the division. There is no one left for Dana to bring in that is a credible challenge at 170. I think if GSP truly wants to cement his legacy, if he truly wants to challenge himself, he needs to move up. He (and many other fighters) always talk about how they want to "fight the best" not "fight mediocre opponents." Unfortunately, there aren't very many "challenges" left for GSP at welterweight. If he really is that good, which I think he is, he should be able to handle a jump in weight class. Case in point: Anderson Silva.

People dont understand how much 15lbs is to a fighter and what they have to go through.
GSP's walk-around weight is currently around 195 lbs. He is cutting to 170 for weigh-ins, and weighing in at around 185 come fight time. I would imagine cutting from 195 to 185 at middleweight would be much less strenuous and damaging to his body than what he normally does to make weight at welterweight.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Above n Beyond

Well, like I said, I think GSP is getting boring/predictable for ME. I certainly don't think he should change his game plan to satisfy me, or any other fan. He needs to stick with what works, because in the end a win is a win, and he's gotta do whatever it takes to keep that belt around his waist. I don't think an apology is completely inappropriate though. In the end, this sport is "entertainment" - people buy tickets and ppvs to be entertained. GSP said himself that he wanted to win the fight in "spectacular" fashion. I think he'd prefer to send fans home happy, and when he failed to do so, he apologized. Not necessary, but nice to see that he acknowledges it.
So apparently 99% of the crowd must've missed the part of the fight where he tried to break the guys arm (or at least tap) TWICE!

Watch this
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=Vide...home&gid=79776
Old 03-29-2010, 08:17 PM

I agree with Shadzilla that entertainment is a big part of the UFC business. Anderson Silva before apologized to his fans after a fight because he didn't finish off his opponent. These guys (fighters) know that they need to entertain as well as win fights.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Above n Beyond

I'm not saying apologizing or not apologizig is right or wrong, I was just giving my opinion. I'm glad some of these fighters apologize to their fans because they did pay big money to watch a good fight.

I know what fight you are talking about with Anderson Silva and he had every right apologize. He ran around the octagon and was in defense mode just to keep the belt. That is not what GSP did.

The fact of the matter is, just because GSP was the champ doesnt mean Hardy couldnt turn it into a good fight either. He didnt have what it took to get GSP off him and defend the takedown.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:37 PM

So apparently 99% of the crowd must've missed the part of the fight where he tried to break the guys arm (or at least tap) TWICE!

Watch this
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=Vide...home&gid=79776
I'm siding with you when I say that GSP gave a hell of a performance. It was just unfortunate that Hardy is a rubberband-man.

But the majority of UFC fans are NOT MMA fighters on a daily basis. They enjoy blood, knock outs, and fist to face action. Most of these fans don't understand the technical skills put into wrestling and submission. Only MMA enthusiasts understands that GSP is a great fighter. To everyone else (which is the majority), GSP is boring.

Think about it this way. Acurazine members love JDM but the majority of drivers on the streets have no clue why we would rebadge our Acura to Honda.

These fans don't understand how hard it is to pull off an armbar or kimura. And you have to agree, fans rather see a knockout than a submission.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Safety Car

The fact of the matter is, just because GSP was the champ doesnt mean Hardy couldnt turn it into a good fight either. He didnt have what it took to get GSP off him and defend the takedown.
You are right. Hardy didn't do much to make this fight all that exciting. I think what got people restless was the repetitiveness.. Round starts, few (if any) punches thrown, GSP shoots in, takes down Hardy, 5 minutes of GSP controlling Hardy on the mat. Repeat 4 more times. But again, to his credit, thats what GSP does best. If he faces a guy that can't stop it, why not exploit it. I guess when the fight starts to get a little slow, people looked to GSP to do something amazing - and those arm bars did inject some life into the fight - but a couple of 45 second armbars won't save a 25 minute fight.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Safety Car

I know what fight you are talking about with Anderson Silva and he had every right apologize. He ran around the octagon and was in defense mode just to keep the belt. That is not what GSP did.
Yeah at least GSP was on the offensive the whole time. That Anderson Silva fight against Thales Leites was downright painful to watch.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Above n Beyond

^If I paid $300 to watch that in person, I may have ran into the octagon after the fight and created my own. Prolly would get knocked out the fastest in UFC history, but at least I would've put on a show for the crowd.

Last edited by UNCTYPE-S; 03-29-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Safety Car

You guys remember this gem? I was watching this fight when it happened, everybody in the room was DYING laughing:

Old 03-29-2010, 11:02 PM

I really can't wait for UFC 112 though. Two "main events" in one PPV. Gonna be awesome.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:51 PM

It sure is,I wanna how Frankie Edgar is going to do with BJ, good fight there.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:43 PM

Wow good fight between Pearson vs. Siver, and looks like a couple of good fights, I hope big country gets knocked out but I think he will win and Kenflo vs Gomi should be good to.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Team Owner

I totally agree with UNCTYPE-S about GSP. Honestly if it wasn't for Silva, then GSP would probably be considered the best pound for pound fighter in the world. He totally dominated Hardy and personally I enjoyed watching it but then again my knowledge is a little higher than a typical UFC fan (punch kick good). I am curious if he could go up weight since he does walk around so heavy but I'd still consider him one of the best fighters of all time if he doesn't change weight. I'm amazed that when he first fought Hughes and lost that he was a blue belt. Now with his training his wrestling and BJJ are insane. And to top it off probably the classiest guy in MMA. If he spoke perfect english he'd probably get tons more endorsements.

I saw the Gomi/KFlo fight. I won't spoil it but I've seen both of these guys fight a while. I'm glad Gomi is in the UFC because when he was in Pride he was probably one of the best LW fighters in the world so glad to see him here.

BTW, TUF started up again last night so set your DVR.

Quick Reply: MMA: UFC News and Discussion Thread