Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

The Mitchell Report - Clemens' named leaked

Old 12-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
So what happens to these guys now?
Well, probably some :ghey:-sauce 15 gamer that Jose Guillen got slapped with.

Still, gotta love the due to players like Clemens and Pettitte...
Old 12-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator

And I can't wait for the excuses we're gonna hear...

At least 20 robots I won't transform for a month says that one player or so on this list will exclaim "I did not know at all what was being rubbed on me! I was told it was moisturizing cream!"

Or, "But the guy said it was just some antibiotics!"
Old 12-13-2007, 02:28 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,158 Likes on 835 Posts
"You mean it wasn't antibiotics that my trainer injected in my butt?"
Old 12-13-2007, 02:36 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Gregg Zaun He obviously didn't take enough.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

I doubt MLB will punish the players named...if anything it'll just be tainted legacies and their reputations now.

BUT...I do hope Selig omits those who were potential HoFers off the ballets going forward (i.e. Pete Rose). So, Clemens and Pettitte? Please stay out.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STL+3.0CL
Pujols' name isn't mentioned once in the 409 page Mitchel Report.
Neither is Varitek.

My eyes are about to fall out...i've done nothing but read this PDF for the past 30 min.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Matt

Originally Posted by Mike 350Z
Neither is Varitek.

My eyes are about to fall out...i've done nothing but read this PDF for the past 30 min.
I know, im on page 45 and my head is spinning. I also noticed that since they added amphetimenes to the list of banned substances in 05 that the list/policy hasn't changed. So the MLB and the MLBPA haven't changed or agreed on a new policy since 05?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

The good stuff starts in the 200's when he talks about each player individually.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
One question I have is why Congress has to spend their time on this issue. Can someone please tell me how the hell is this a political matter?
Old 12-13-2007, 04:09 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
didn't selig ask mitchell to start up an investigation?
Old 12-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny shit to me. I knew Clemens was on roids for years. I just hope he gets treated just as bad as Bonds got treated but I know he won't. This is just another reason why baseball sucks most of the guys on the juice, no effective dug testing policy for years, no salary cap and the commish is a pussy. Baseball is getting what it deserves.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

I am somewhat perplexed that Sosa is not mentioned in this report...sure, his name comes up once where it talks about the questionnaire given to his lawyers...but, that's it.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
didn't selig ask mitchell to start up an investigation?
But don't they have something more pressing to do like run the country. Call me crazy but I thought that was their jobs. There should not be congressional hearing about this.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by batman
One question I have is why Congress has to spend their time on this issue. Can someone please tell me how the hell is this a political matter?
Congress decided to get involved (and I'm guessing you're asking about the Hearings in 2005) because it felt that steroids was becoming a major public wellness and health issue.

There were numbers that suggested half a million kids in the US are on roids because they are influenced by the pros. Congress wanted to look at MLB's policy, compare it to other sports policies and evaluate. Balco pretty much triggered this, I believe.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Race Director

Clemens probably won't make the Hall now.

Bonds should just throw in the towel and admit it. I mean no one will be shocked if he tells the truth that he took steroids. I mean Pete Rose already admitted to gambling after years of denying he did. No one was shocked by that.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Can the "dominant" Yankees team get an asterisk on their championships now?
Old 12-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Selig, Fehr to testify next week; call for resignation

@ Selig...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Congress wants to hear more about the Mitchell Report on drug use in baseball.

About two hours after former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell released his findings, two congressmen at the forefront of Capitol Hill's involvement in the steroids issue asked Mitchell, baseball commissioner Bud Selig and union head Donald Fehr to testify at a House committee hearing next week.

California Democrat Henry Waxman and Virginia Republican Tom Davis -- the leaders of the panel that held the March 17, 2005, hearing at which Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro and Sammy Sosa testified -- want to know "whether the Mitchell report's recommendations will be adopted and whether additional measures are needed," they said.

The legislators called for a House Oversight and Government Reform hearing on Tuesday.

"This is a sad day for Major League Baseball, but a good day for integrity in sports. It's an important step towards the goal of eliminating the use of performance enhancing substances," Waxman and Davis said in a joint statement.

"The Mitchell report is sobering. ... It shows that everyone involved in Major League Baseball bears some responsibility for this scandal," they continued.

Waxman and Davis were among several members of the House and Senate who sponsored legislation in 2005, proposing to mandate stronger steroid testing and penalties for baseball and other U.S. professional sports leagues.

Another representative who sponsored a bill and held hearings on the topic in 2005, Florida Republican Cliff Stearns, called on Selig to resign.

"Certainly, a lack of leadership and oversight in MLB enabled these abuses to continue," Stearns said Thursday. "After 15 years of slow action, a new commissioner is needed to guide the league out of this era of drug abuse."

Roger Clemens and Miguel Tejada were among the dozens of current and past All-Star players named in Mitchell's 409-page report after a 20-month investigation into the use of steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs in baseball.

Palmeiro is mentioned in the report. He failed a drug test and was suspended by baseball a few months after his 2005 appearance before Congress, when he jutted a finger at lawmakers while testifying under oath, "I have never used steroids, period."
Old 12-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Ah yes...

The "outrage" and hissy-fit of slander and etc. etc. begins...Roger "The Cheat" Clemens' lawyer's statement:

Through his attorney, Rusty Hardin, Clemens denied he used performance-enhancing drugs and expressed outrage that his name was included in the report.

"I have great respect for Senator Mitchell. I think an overall look at this problem in baseball was an excellent idea," Hardin said in a statement. "But I respectfully suggest it is very unfair to include Roger's name in this report. He is left with no meaningful way to combat what he strongly contends are totally false allegations. He has not been charged with anything, he will not be charged with anything and yet he is being tried in the court of public opinion with no recourse. That is totally wrong.

"There has never been one shred of tangible evidence that he ever used these substances and yet he is being slandered today,'' said Hardin, who called McNamee a "troubled man."
From ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines
Old 12-14-2007, 12:02 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx

Bonds should just throw in the towel and admit it. I mean no one will be shocked if he tells the truth that he took steroids. I mean Pete Rose already admitted to gambling after years of denying he did. No one was shocked by that.

Its gone beyond admitting it for Bonds at this point. He faces jail time for perjury.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Senior Moderator

To the people that say you still need "skills" for roids to work...here's a disgusting fact:

McNamee said he injected the steroids into Clemens' cheating @$$ after the Jays returned home from a trip to Florida. Up to that point Clemens was 6-6 with a 3.27 ERA.

After that he was: 14-0 with a 2.29 ERA.

Think steroids work?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:05 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

How many Cy Youngs and wins did Clemons have before he began taking roids?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Senior Moderator

I love this quote from the report:

The minority of players who used such substances were wrong. They violated federal law and baseball policy, and they distorted the fairness of competition by trying to gain an unfair advantage over the majority of players who followed the law and the rules.
This is why, despite the cynicism some people have said about 'roids and "embracing it" kind of disgusts me.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
How many Cy Youngs and wins did Clemons have before he began taking roids?
He won them in 86, 87, and 91...

And then when he started the cheat, he won 4 more...
Old 12-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Yumchah
To the people that say you still need "skills" for roids to work...here's a disgusting fact:

McNamee said he injected the steroids into Clemens' cheating @$$ after the Jays returned home from a trip to Florida. Up to that point Clemens was 6-6 with a 3.27 ERA.

After that he was: 14-0 with a 2.29 ERA.

Think steroids work?
Yeah. How can you tell people not to take them? Think about it, you're in AA ball, your buddy starts juicing and all of a sudden hits 30 HR's and gets called up to the show. What would you do? I know I would.

In response whoever asked why this is important enough to get congress involved, it's because there are a ton of high school, college, and young pros that see this and see players getting huge contracts and on the surface it really looks like there is no downside to juicing but if you don't do it right or use crappy stuff, it can really ruin your body and health.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:06 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
I am somewhat perplexed that Sosa is not mentioned in this report...sure, his name comes up once where it talks about the questionnaire given to his lawyers...but, that's it.

They didn't have someone to come forward and say they sold to Sammy. That is why he isn't included. Along w/ hundreds of other players.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Good point, Scott...

And on that note, I'm pretty much calling on Clemens 3 Cy Youngs prior to him joining the Blue Jays. Who knows if the Cheat has been taking stuff before that?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:53 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by Mike 350Z
Yeah. How can you tell people not to take them? Think about it, you're in AA ball, your buddy starts juicing and all of a sudden hits 30 HR's and gets called up to the show. What would you do? I know I would.

In response whoever asked why this is important enough to get congress involved, it's because there are a ton of high school, college, and young pros that see this and see players getting huge contracts and on the surface it really looks like there is no downside to juicing but if you don't do it right or use crappy stuff, it can really ruin your body and health.

My brothers best friend got drafted in the top 5 in the early 90's. I've had a few discussions with him about the use. He said you ultimately couldn't get away from it. That the majority of guys were taking them and that you were encouraged to do it.

I've also had some friends go through minor league ball that I played ball with growing up. They said it's almost worse there because everyone is trying to "make it".

One interesting thing my brothers friend talked about was the use overseas. He played a few years in Japan and Korea and the Americans were pretty much expected to be juicing.

Personally< i don't care about these guys juicing. Performance drugs are Huge in every sport. Hell we got guys that ride bikes getting caught using them.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Pettitte admits using HGH to recover from an elbow injury in 2002

Smart thing to do. Why deny...?

NEW YORK -- Andy Pettitte used human growth hormone to recover from an elbow injury in 2002, the New York Yankees pitcher admitted two days after he was cited in the Mitchell report.

Pettitte said he tried HGH on two occasions, stressing he did it to heal faster and not enhance his performance. He emphasized he never used steroids.

"If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize," Pettitte said Saturday in a statement released by his agent. "I accept responsibility for those two days."

On Thursday, Pettitte was among 85 players named by former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell's investigation into steroids and performance-enhancing drugs. Pettitte had not commented publicly on the allegations.

Pettitte asked the trainer he shared with Roger Clemens, Brian McNamee, to help him with HGH while on the disabled list early in the season, the report said. McNamee recalled injecting Pettitte two to four times, Mitchell said.

HGH wasn't banned by baseball until January 2005.

"In 2002 I was injured. I had heard that human growth hormone could promote faster healing for my elbow," Pettitte said in the statement released to The Associated Press by agent Randy Hendricks.

"I felt an obligation to get back to my team as soon as possible. For this reason, and only this reason, for two days I tried human growth hormone. Though it was not against baseball rules, I was not comfortable with what I was doing, so I stopped.

"This is it -- two days out of my life; two days out of my entire career, when I was injured and on the disabled list," he said. "I wasn't looking for an edge. I was looking to heal."

Pettitte was not linked to steroids in the report, and said he never had never used them.

"I have the utmost respect for baseball and have always tried to live my life in a way that would be honorable," he said. "If I have let down people that care about me, I am sorry, but I hope that you will listen to me carefully and understand that two days of perhaps bad judgment should not ruin a lifetime of hard work and dedication.

"I have tried to do things the right way my entire life, and, again, ask that you put those two days in the proper context. People that know me will know that what I say is true," he said.

The Yankees backed Pettitte.

"Late this afternoon, Andy Pettitte advised us that he would be making a public statement. We support his coming forward," the team said in a statement.

The 35-year-old lefty is 201-113 lifetime. He started his major league career in 1995 and won four World Series championships with the Yankees. He pitched for his hometown Houston Astros from 2004-06 and helped them reach their first World Series.

Pettitte returned to the Yankees last season and went 15-9. This month, he put off retirement and agreed to a $16 million, one-year contract to play for the Yankees next season.

Mitchell devoted 1 1/2 pages to McNamee's testimony about Pettitte. Clemens was mentioned on nearly nine pages, with McNamee saying he injected the star pitcher.

Clemens was accused of using steroids and HGH and, through his lawyer, vehemently denied the accusations.

When Clemens joined the Yankees in 1999, he and Pettitte became fast friends and training partners. McNamee was part of their regimen -- Clemens had worked with him in Toronto before being traded to New York.

According to the Mitchell report, Pettitte asked McNamee about using HGH after the 2001 season, and the trainer said he discouraged the pitcher from trying it.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only right-handed old Yankee 8-figure salary pitchers deny.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't really blame these guys for taking the stuff. Most were taking not for big bucks, but merely to get in the game. When you see the big stars who have more natural talent taking this stuff, most are thinking they just have to juice just to keep up. It's those that deny, deny, deny who get the most heat. Bonds, Clemens, Palmerio, McGwire. If they come clean and apologize, most fans are willing to forgive and forget.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:40 AM

didn't realize david justice was on the list too.

he's one of my all-time favorite players.

dumb guy though. cheats on halle barry.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Benchwarmer

didn't realize david justice was on the list too.

he's one of my all-time favorite players.

dumb guy though. cheats on halle barry.
There was something screwy with how Justice got on the list.

And before anybody relaxes on Pettitte, remember that he categorically denied taking HGH before his name got on the list. Why should we believe him now?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
There was something screwy with how Justice got on the list.

And before anybody relaxes on Pettitte, remember that he categorically denied taking HGH before his name got on the list. Why should we believe him now?
explain?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Benchwarmer

explain?
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...ORTS/712150340

There were no records of him buying HGH, just having a conversation about it with those 2 trainers. I heard him on a radio show and he was pretty pissed for a guy already out of baseball.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:20 AM

interesting.

i really hope justice is innocent because i've been a fan of his since his ROY season. but even if he is innocent, this will be a prime example of a player whose reputation will be forever tarnished.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:21 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx

Clemens, Bonds, Mac....will all make the HoF, they just won't do it on the first or maybe 2nd ballot
Old 12-17-2007, 01:33 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I agree. Time heals all wounds.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Did anyone see ARod on 60 minutes last night? Now I'm not an expert at sniffing out liars, but when Katie Couric asked if he has ever used performance enhancing drugs, his "No" reply didn't exactly seem very sincere to me.

And when she asked if he has ever been TEMPTED and he said "No," now that seems like complete b.s. to me.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by dom
I agree. Time heals all wounds.
Not as well as HGH.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ Time and HGH and your wound heals very very fast.

Quick Reply: The Mitchell Report - Clemens' named leaked