Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

High School basketball player drops out to go pro

Old 08-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,314 Likes on 967 Posts
High School basketball player drops out to go pro

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool...ory?id=4090570

Reports: Tyler to skip senior year

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Jeremy Tyler, a 6-foot-11 junior, has dropped out of San Diego High School and says he will skip his senior year to play professionally in Europe, The New York Times and Yahoo! Sports reported on Wednesday.

Scouts Inc.'s take

Jeremy Tyler had the most potential of any big man in the 2010 class. He was rated as the nation's No. 6 junior, but that mostly had to do with his inconsistent production. At 6-9, he controls the paint on both ends of the court. He reminds us of a more athletic version of Elton Brand, but Tyler needs to develop Brand's killer instinct.
-- Scouts Inc.
• Recruiting index | 2010 player rankings

Tyler, 17, will become the first player born in the United States to leave high school early to play professional basketball overseas. He is expected to come back in two years, when he is eligible for the NBA draft.

Tyler had made a verbal commitment to Louisville. He has not signed with an agent or a professional team, but he probably will play in Spain, the Times reported, although clubs from other European leagues are showing interest.

"Nowadays people look to college for more off-the-court stuff versus being in the gym and getting better," Tyler told the Times. "If you're really focused on getting better, you go play pro somewhere. Pro guys will get you way better than playing against college guys."

Point guard Brandon Jennings, a Los Angeles native, graduated last year from Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.) and became the first high school grad to skip college and play pro ball in Europe. He is wrapping up his first season with Lottomatica Virtus Roma in Italy. Jennings is projected as a high pick in June's NBA draft.
Is this the future now??? I wonder how he will develop.

Also, screw the NCAA. Jennings will get paid for one year. Interesting.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
I think they should be forced to play at least 2-3 years of college ball if not more. Another option is to let them enter the draft but continue to play in the NCAA. NCAA hockey and baseball allow this as long as the kid doesn't sign with an agent or contract. They don't allow it for basketball and football, not sure why...

Most of the kids in the draft turn into projects where you gotta teach them all the fundamentals which they would learn in college anyways. Sending them off to college would be free to the teams drafting the kids as well.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
So he is 6-11 and then a paragraph later he is 6-9? lawl.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
he's 6'11... and pretty impressive too. I want to say that he should finish high school first, but he has a chance to make a lot of money... I know I wouldn't want somebody stopping me if I could make millions.

If it doesn't work out... that's the risk you take.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whoops.. he's going to make 140k.. thought it was 1. something mil for some reason.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
As a basketball fan, I don't mind seeing these kids go to Europe and not be the be the big phenom stars. In fact, I think its good for them. I'm happy that the HS to pros route isn't available anymore and these guys learn some humility by playing basketball not as 'the next Michael Jordan' or whatever, but as a rookie member of a team.

The fact that these guys get some worldly perspective makes me respect this route even more.

And while missing out on college, and skipping a year of high school may look bad to some, I would only hope that extracting them from whatever yes men surrounded them and immersing themselves in a culture with a team that isn't the same as them would teach them something. There's alot to learn outside of a formal education.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
As a basketball fan, I don't mind seeing these kids go to Europe and not be the be the big phenom stars. In fact, I think its good for them. I'm happy that the HS to pros route isn't available anymore and these guys learn some humility by playing basketball not as 'the next Michael Jordan' or whatever, but as a rookie member of a team.

The fact that these guys get some worldly perspective makes me respect this route even more.

And while missing out on college, and skipping a year of high school may look bad to some, I would only hope that extracting them from whatever yes men surrounded them and immersing themselves in a culture with a team that isn't the same as them would teach them something. There's alot to learn outside of a formal education.
i do agree somewhat, but theres always the "what if" of a career ending injury then what does this kid have to offer any other industry without even a high school diploma? i would at least like to see these kids finish high school. though ive never been in the situation of choosing between high school + part time minimum wage job, or 6 figures in europe. i wish him luck though
Old 08-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by 03bl AC k CL
i do agree somewhat, but theres always the "what if" of a career ending injury then what does this kid have to offer any other industry without even a high school diploma? i would at least like to see these kids finish high school. though ive never been in the situation of choosing between high school + part time minimum wage job, or 6 figures in europe. i wish him luck though
There is that and I agree thats a definite risk....but completing a HS degree is easier and can be completed anytime, whereas the opportunity to play ball is pretty fleeting. Even more so that his stock is up; it may never be that way again.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
AT LEAST finish high school first.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Definitely should finish high school first. But if they are good enough to go into the pros after high school, I see no reason why these kids can't skip college altogether. Most of the really good players come out after one year anyway, so why even bother going in the first place?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
If they're really interested in him, they won't mind waiting another year for him to come over. Playing another year also allows him to get some other options. As significant as this opportunity is to him, it sounds like he'll have quite a few more. All the better if he can do it while getting his high school diploma, and possibly a college diploma. This guy's my age, and I personally have no idea what the future will bring for me. He probably doesn't either. I think it's smarter to at least finish high school so he'll have more opportunities open to him, instead of dropping it all on this one dream so early.

I can appreciate following your dream, but you have to be rational. Like I said, the European team can probably wait one more year for him. I'd happily push back my dream one year if it meant getting my high school diploma. Otherwise, if things go bust, I have something to lean back on.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,314 Likes on 967 Posts
His decision is a logical one. And I mean logical in the Spock sense. Let's play devil's advocate. We all know that in the long run a GED and high school degree are pretty much the same shit getting a job. If you don't have college degree, you don't have a college degree. But places that don't require it, really don't care if they went to high school 4 years or 3.

How many times have people complained that the colleges are making millions on sports and not letting the kids work to help support themselves. This is a kind of a big FU to the NCAA and NBA for the 1 year in college rule. Why make $0 (legally) in 2 years where he can make at least $140k x 2 or more if he gets a raise his 2nd year. He's really not missing much in college vs a pro league. Most of those Euro leagues are extemely competitve and compare to some NCAA divisions.

Bottom line: Learn to play hoops to reach the NBA in 2011 making $0 or $140k+. It's a no-brainer since he believes he'll make the NBA and not end up a street sweeper.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,158 Likes on 835 Posts
Originally Posted by savage
I think they should be forced to play at least 2-3 years of college ball if not more.
It's a free country, they shouldn't be forced to do something they don't want to do. If he doesn't want to go to college, that's his choice. It's better than those phonies that say they want an education but bolt for the pros after their second year.