Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

College Football: Penn State Scandal

Old 06-24-2012, 05:42 PM
3rd Coast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I think Sandusky is in confinement with a guard on watch, although I may be wrong.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,409 Likes on 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by dallison

I hope some big black man fists him.
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
He got off too easy. They should have locked this monster away years ago. Hopefully Bubba gets him in the shower.
Considering this guy's past in the shower, I don't think he'd mind any of this. I'm hoping someone beats him to an inch of his life, but that's me
Old 06-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Just let him off himself and get it over with.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
I read they sang Pink Floyd to him the first night in prison. "Hey Teacher!!!! Leave that boy alone!!!"
Old 06-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
I read they sang Pink Floyd to him the first night in prison. "Hey Teacher!!!! Leave that boy alone!!!"
Just saw that today:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1101791
Old 07-12-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Terrible day for Penn State fans.. the Freeh Report was released today, which states that Joe Pa enabled Sandusky...
Old 07-12-2012, 03:45 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
The students should tie a rope/chain around the statue of that sick bastard Joe Paterno and pull it to the ground like the people in Iraq did to the statue of Saddam.
The following users liked this post:
Doom878 (07-13-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 03:47 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Nike Changing Name of Child Care Center

Nike is cutting one of its last remaining ties to Joe Paterno -- removing his name from the child care building on the corporation's campus.

The move comes just hours after independent investigators revealed the late Penn State coach helped cover-up facts about the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal.

Nike President Mark Parker said in a statement, "With the findings released today, I have decided to change the name of our child care center at our World Headquarters."

Nike co-founder Phil Knight added, "It appears Joe made missteps that led to heartbreaking consequences." Knight had previously defended Paterno's handling of the scandal.
from TMZ.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

The handful of students and alumni that gathered in Penn State's student center this morning to watch the release of the Freeh report live were stunned when the channel suddenly switched.

While most of campus was still sleepy, the small group was viewing CNN on a large screen, or one of several smaller screens nearby, in anticipation of the 9 a.m. release of the report on the sex abuse scandal that has gripped the school.

Most were hoping that the report, part of a seven-month probe by former FBI Director Louis Freeh, would exonerate legendary football coach Joe Paterno.

But, just as an anchor was ready to speak about the report, the television screens suddenly went blank. They then turned to a public access channel featuring a reporter from The Morning Call newspaper in Allentown about the state budget.

Everyone watching suddenly went scrambling to find a way to switch the channel back at the student center, known as the HUB-Robeson Center Facility, or simply, "the Hub."

"Is this some kind of conspiracy?" asked Mary Krupa, an 18-year-old freshman from State College, Pa.

John Kruse, 48, an alumnus, was also in the student center at the time.

"I'm here today to find out who know what and when," Kruse said of the report.

Kruse had been waiting in anticipation, and trying not to pre-judge what Freeh might find, when the channel changed.

On the public access channel, The Morning Call reporter was discussing the state budget, and referred to an item he dubbed a, "$27 million turkey," as Kruse watched in disbelief.

"I don't care about your $27 million turkey," Kruse shouted toward the TV set. "Come on and change the channel."

Several students went to speak with a student working at the main desk at the student center. But the student said a university employee was in charge of what is broadcast. That person, the student said, was in a meeting and could not be reached.
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/br...ess.html#712sf

Still trying to cover their @ss!

I dunno who would want to be associated with school anymore....it's disturbing, sick, and beyond any apology.

ZERO character can be found in the leadership.

They cared about $$$ and the football program....nothing else.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,648 Likes on 13,889 Posts

Well, Penn State better pray for speedy settlements with the victims because this report gives them lots of ammo to go after the school now.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:56 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Excerpts from the report:

What People Not Blinded By Hero Worship Could’ve Already Told You:

“Taking into account the available witness statements and evidence, it is more reasonable to conclude that, in order to avoid the consequences of bad publicity, the most powerful leaders at Penn State University – Messrs. Spanier, Schultz, Paterno and Curley – repeatedly concealed critical facts relating to Sandusky’s child abuse from the authorities, the Board of Trustees, Penn State community, and the public at large. Although concern to treat the child abuser humanely was expressly stated, no such sentiments were ever expressed by them for Sandusky’s victims.”

Joe Paterno Didn’t Want To Interrupt People’s Weekend By Reporting Child Rape:

“We also know that he delayed reporting Sandusky’s sexual conduct because Mr. Paterno did not “want to interfere” with people’s weekend. To his credit, Mr. Paterno stated on November 9, 2011, ‘With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.’”

And The Nail In The Coffin

“The evidence shows that these four men also knew about a 1998 criminal investigation of Sandusky relating to suspected sexual misconduct with a young boy ina Penn State football locker room shower. Again, they showed no concern about that victim. The evidence shows that Mr. Paterno was made aware of the 1998 investigation of Sandusky, followed it closely, but failed to take any action, even though Sandusky had been a key member of his coaching staff for almost 30 years, and had an office juststeps away from Mr. Paterno’s. At the very least, Mr. Paterno could have alerted the entire football staff, in order to prevent Sandusky from bringing another child into the Lasch Building.”

The silence from Paterno apologists is pretty deafening right now.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,648 Likes on 13,889 Posts
We are Penn State: Valuing money over the lives of 10-year-olds.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:49 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
I won't be shocked if we find out down the road as the investigation goes further that Joe perjured himself in his grand jury testimony.

I think they all knew a lot, and they all covered it up.
Well, there you have it!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:57 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Old 07-13-2012, 06:13 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
I really feel for the victims esp with people in power not protecting them. We all knew paterno knew much more than he let on.
We were some of the biggest joepa fans, but not any more. He is in the same shithole that sandusky is in. You don't protect the kids and stand up for them, you are on the list. I won't tolerate any abuse or coverup.

I can't imagine the students who have dreamed of going to psu and then have an extremely shameful thing like this happen.
I am sure there will be more empty seats this year..
Old 07-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Team Owner

Too many adjectives on how I feel about this. I'm just going to sit and listen to heavy metal at work to help me channel my anger.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Penn State not taking down Paterno Statue, they are just turning it so it looks the other way.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:10 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Report: Penn State To Remove Paterno Statue This Weekend

NEW YORK (WFAN) – It seems the fate of Joe Paterno’s statue at Penn State has been sealed.

“Am told that Penn State plans to take down the Paterno statue this weekend,” Kim Jones of the NFL Network and WFAN reported via Twitter on Friday.

PSU’s board of trustees “voted on a conference call last night to take down” the statue, veteran sportscaster Bonnie Bernstein tweeted.

Paterno, fired by the university last year amid the Jerry Sandusky child sexual abuse scandal, died in January. His legacy was further tarnished by a scathing report released last week by former FBI director Louis Freeh.

The Freeh report accused the former coach and other university officials of “repeatedly” concealing “critical facts relating to Sandusky’s child abuse” in order to avoid bad publicity.

Many have since called for the removal of Paterno’s likeness in front of Beaver Stadium. A banner even flew above Penn State this week with the message, “Take the statue down or we will.”

Sandusky was convicted in June on 45 counts of sexual abuse.

More to come on this developing story…
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/07/...-this-weekend/

Hope this turns out to be true.

Why any university would want a statue in memory of a guy who enabled and supported child rapists is beyond comprehension.
The following users liked this post:
Doom878 (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Team Owner

Finally! Of course they picked today where there's less impact because of the Aurora shootings.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:56 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
So it's been removed, but only moved a few hundred feet away for temporary storage. Odds of it going back up?

And it's hard to believe people are still trying to defend him
Old 07-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,114 Likes on 6,105 Posts
Now if only we'd handle the abuse in the Catholic Church as swiftly as we handled this one....
Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Scottman111
So it's been removed, but only moved a few hundred feet away for temporary storage. Odds of it going back up?

And it's hard to believe people are still trying to defend him
It will be interesting to see what they do with it, I heard rumors it might go up somewhere in the stadium or in the library, if they don't put it somewhere that makes it hard for people to get to, I believe it will be vandalized
Old 07-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Penn State just got hit hard from the NCAA!

"Penn State University was just hit with a $60 million sanction by the NCAA for its role in covering up the Jerry Sandusky child rape scandal.

And it gets worse -- or better -- depending for whom you're rooting.

NCAA President Mark Emmert just announced ... PSU will be BANNED from bowl games for the next 4 years. The NCAA will also vacate all PSA football wins from 1998 to 2011.

Penn State's football team will have its football scholarships reduced from 25 to 15 per year for the next 4 years.

All PSU football players are allowed to transfer out of the school to any other school as soon as possible ... while keeping full eligibility. In other words, a PSU player can transfer to Ohio State next season and start immediately.

Football players are also allowed to quit the football and keep their scholarships.

The PSU athletic program will be on probation for 5 years.

The NCAA will launch an investigation to impose sanctions upon individuals.

The $60 million fine is equivalent to the football program's gross revenue for 1 season.

The NCAA said it considered the "death penalty" -- the elimination of the school's football program for 1 season -- but decided the punishment it chose will have a deeper impact in changing the culture at Penn State."

http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/23/penn-s...ent-fines-ban/
Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Sorry Bdog but I disagree with you.....they got off too easy.

I think the fines should have been higher and they should have been banned from FOOTBALL (not bowl games) for a minimum of 5 years. A $60 million fine and no bowl games is a slap on the wrist.

I agree with guaranteeing the scholarships of players and allowing them to transfer. They were not the ones at fault here.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
What Sandusky did is terrible and a disgusting thing and he should pay with his life after being tortured. I saw the bowl ban coming and figured we would lose scholarships as well. That being said I don't however understand what vacating wins proves or accomplishes. It hurts the students and players more than anyone else and they had nothing to do with this terrible situation. It also hurts possible students to by taking away scholarships as it prevents them from a good education.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
ouch
Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Sorry Bdog but I disagree with you.....they got off too easy.

I think the fines should have been higher and they should have been banned from FOOTBALL (not bowl games) for a minimum of 5 years. A $60 million fine and no bowl games is a slap on the wrist.

I agree with guaranteeing the scholarships of players and allowing them to transfer. They were not the ones at fault here.
You can't just ban football.. Think of all the local hotels, restaurants, etc that rely on football for income. You also have to think about the Big 10 and the other teams in the Big 10. Should they be punished because of PSU actions?

After some of the freshman/sophomores transfer out the roster will be depleted. They will have some of the worst recruiting classes for years. They will be one of the worst teams in the nation for years. This is a walking death penalty.

Yet I believe they will still sellout all games, thus bringing revenue to the local vendors. The PSU football program was killed today and it will be a long time before they recover.
The following 2 users liked this post by hornyleprechaun:
97BlackAckCL (07-23-2012), EL19 (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
"The NCAA explained ... "By perpetuating a 'football first' culture that ultimately enabled serial child sexual abuse to occur, The Pennsylvania State University leadership failed to value and uphold institutional integrity, resulting in a breach of the NCAA Constitution and rules."

That's part of the problem as all universities put their football program first as that's the only way they can operate a school.

I guess we'll never know all the facts, but it's my opinion that if Sandusky was caught by Paterno or anyone "high" up raping kids, they wouldn't have let him continue that act over all these years. If I caught my best friend raping a boy in my house, I wouldn't give him a second chance! It's hard to believe the program knew they had a "monster" with this all this time and they recruited for Sandusky's pleasure.

With that, I see actions have to be taken so they hit the football program the hardest. It wasn't the players or the program that did this, but one person. Paterno will still be one of the greatest football coaches ever, but if he did covered up these while they were taking place, he wasn't a great man.

Penn State is such a good school that will always be know for this and all because of one person.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Team Owner

With the wins vacated does this mean Bobby Bowden has the most wins?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by Doom878
With the wins vacated does this mean Bobby Bowden has the most wins?
Yes.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:30 AM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
What Sandusky did is terrible and a disgusting thing and he should pay with his life after being tortured. I saw the bowl ban coming and figured we would lose scholarships as well. That being said I don't however understand what vacating wins proves or accomplishes. It hurts the students and players more than anyone else and they had nothing to do with this terrible situation. It also hurts possible students to by taking away scholarships as it prevents them from a good education.
I dont see the vacating of the wins as hurtful to the students and players who were part of those wins, their memories of what transpired are all that really matter to them. The vacating of all the wins was to disallow Joe Paterno's legacy the honor of being the winningest coach, and I believe that is all that it was for.

The fact that Joe did nothing while knowing what one of his assistants was doing to those boys is inconceivable to me. To not only sweep it under the rug to protect his precious team, but then to allow the pedophile to continue to be a coach and rape more boys? I hope youre rotting in hell Jow
Old 07-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Got ripped hard
Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Though I agree that Joepa letting this go and sweeping it under the rug was wrong and hurtful to the victims, I think the NCAA's punishments on the school and the football program itself is way too harsh. Joepa is dead and gone, Sandusky will never see the outside world again, and the rest of the higher ups are gone. To punish the team with no bowl appearances seems a bit much considering it's the players and team members who now have nothing to play for. I'm OK with them taking back Joepa's wins, etc, but why the hell are you going to punish the players and recruits who had nothing to do with any of this? Shit most of the players weren't even playing football yet in 1998. I'm not a PSU fan, but the NCAA just seems like piling on to me. I am glad that they're puting the fine towards abused children, but 60 Million? Really? Being that it's a state funded school, I'm sure somehow my tax dollars are playing into this. I dunno, again, I just feel like the players and football fans are the ones who are being punished for something they had nothing to do with
Old 07-23-2012, 12:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Penn State got off easy compared to the kids that got raped and their whole lives ruined.

Meanwhile Sandusky kept on with the rape for years, Joe kept on enabling him for years, and the peeps at the top swept it all under the rug and tried to bury it for years.

They did not care at all about little boys being raped....but only cared about their football and their $$$.

...because football and $$ is more important to Penn State than stopping little boys from being raped. Sick bastards!

....and to peeps that want to whine about those poor players and new recruits
Really?!? Just out of simple decency and morality, those players should not want to be associated with the mess that is Penn State.

....not to mention they can all jump ship and not be "penalized". They can start fall camp somewhere else immediately. What poor kids?

I hope the Penn State football program gets the 4th string scrubs they deserve for the next four years. A nowhere near bowl contention for 6-8 years from now.

I hope the staff walks away too. I hope the stadium is a ghost town on Saturdays this fall, and for the next four years. I hope the $$ drys up for the program.

You can't put a punishment severe enough when it comes to the rape of children.
Period. End of story.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

The waiving of the year transfer requirement definitely is a good thing, but not all players can just up and transfer if they are already invested in a degree program. I agree that they should be punished, but my point is, who is left to punish? All the higher-ups who helped conceal this are no longer with the university, Joepa is dead, and Sandusky is in jail. I don't see how punishing the rest of the football program for 4-5 years makes sense. Again, who are they punishing? And I'm not defending the rape of children, just don't understand what the NCAA is trying to do other than make an example at this point..
Old 07-23-2012, 12:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
The waiving of the year transfer requirement definitely is a good thing, but not all players can just up and transfer if they are already invested in a degree program. I agree that they should be punished, but my point is, who is left to punish? All the higher-ups who helped conceal this are no longer with the university, Joepa is dead, and Sandusky is in jail. I don't see how punishing the rest of the football program for 4-5 years makes sense. Again, who are they punishing? And I'm not defending the rape of children, just don't understand what the NCAA is trying to do other than make an example at this point..
The NCAA is hitting Penn State where it hurts: The football program and the $$$$.

You cannot let this slide.

Are players caught in the middle....sure....but don't blame the NCAA...they did not protect the child rapist, Penn State did.

Blame Penn State, they brought this on themselves for protecting child rape.

Should the player be pissed? Sure! The program they are/were a part of protected child rape. Did their protection of child rape screw with the players ability to play football and get your degree in the present day and time? Yup!

....but that's what happens when you protect and enable child rape.

Again, if the players are smart, they would want to run from this sick and twisted football program, & educational institution.

Penn State is to blame not the NCAA.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I had read the $60m number is equivalent to one season's revenues from Penn State football. So that on top of the bans and scholarship cuts... this is much, much worse then the 'death penalty'.

And yes, abandoning the wins was done to take the glory away from JoePa. He slipped from the winningest coach in FBS history down to #5. I knew the NCAA was going to come down hard on PSU, but man, did they drop the hammer...
Old 07-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
The NCAA is hitting Penn State where it hurts: The football program and the $$$$.

You cannot let this slide.

Are players caught in the middle....sure....but don't blame the NCAA...they did not protect the child rapist, Penn State did.

Blame Penn State, they brought this on themselves for protecting child rape.

Should the player be pissed? Sure! The program they are/were a part of protected child rape. Did their protection of child rape screw with the players ability to play football and get your degree in the present day and time? Yup!

....but that's what happens when you protect and enable child rape.

Again, if the players are smart, they would want to run from this sick and twisted football program, & educational institution.

Penn State is to blame not the NCAA.
I never said I blame the NCAA for anything, I acknowledged that PSU was in the wrong, I just think this punishment is too much, and too late. That is my only point

Originally Posted by juniorbean
I had read the $60m number is equivalent to one season's revenues from Penn State football. So that on top of the bans and scholarship cuts... this is much, much worse then the 'death penalty'.

And yes, abandoning the wins was done to take the glory away from JoePa. He slipped from the winningest coach in FBS history down to #5. I knew the NCAA was going to come down hard on PSU, but man, did they drop the hammer...
Old 07-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

and moogy, you still haven't answered my question... Who of the guilty parties is still at PSU to punish? No one.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
In addition to the NCAA penalties, the Big Ten announced some as well:

The conference also will place the university on a five-year probation to run concurrently with the NCAA's and has declared the football program ineligible for the Big Ten championship game for the four years in which the NCAA banned the Nittany Lions from postseason play.

Penn State's proceeds from Big Ten bowl revenues from the four years, amounting to an estimated $13 million, will be allocated "to established charitable organizations in Big Ten communities dedicated to the protection of children," the conference said.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ns-dating-1998

Quick Reply: College Football: Penn State Scandal