Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Carter to Nets

Old 12-17-2004, 04:10 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Carter to Nets

Vince Carter's days as a Toronto Raptor have come to an end.

ESPN reports that the New Jersey Nets and Toronto Raptors have completed a trade that sends Carter to the Nets, pending league approval.

In exchange for Carter, the Raptors receive center Alonzo Mourning, guard Eric Williams, forward Aaron Williams and two first round draft picks.

The two first-round picks the Raptors are to receive in the trade were obtained by the Nets from Denver in the Kenyon Martin trade.

One of the picks - Denver's first-rounder in 2005 - is protected if it is pick one through three in the 2005 lottery. The other - obtained by Denver from Philadelphia before trading it to the Nets - is protected if it is pick one through eight in the 2005 lottery and one through five in the 2006 lottery.

Carter endured a love-hate relationship with fans in Toronto, electrifying crowds with big dunks and disappointing them with a myriad of injuries. Reports surfaced in July that Carter was not happy with the hiring of GM Rob Babcock nor with the selection of Rafael Arajuo in the NBA draft and asked for a trade.

The former North Carolina player had been rumored to be headed to the New York Knicks or Portland Trail Blazers for a variety of players. The deal has to delight Nets All-Star point guard Jason Kidd, who expressed displeasure with the direction his team was taking after dealing Martin and Kerry Kittles.

Carter has almost three years plus an option for a fourth left on his contract, which pays him approximately $12.6 million US this season.

Mourning, 34, has two years left on a contract that pays him $5.4 million this season and $6.4 million for 2005-2006. Aaron Williams, 33, makes $3.1 million this season with an option for $3.3 million next year, while Eric Williams, 32, signed a three-year, $12 million contract in August.

Carter, who is averaging 15.9 points a game this season, was placed on the injured list with a strained left Achilles' tendon last Friday. He has missed Toronto's last three games and must miss two more, meaning he will not be able to play Sunday when the Nets visit Toronto (TSN, 3pm et/Noon pt)

More to follow.
One of the picks - Denver's first-rounder in 2005 - is protected if it is pick one through three in the 2005 lottery. The other - obtained by Denver from Philadelphia before trading it to the Nets - is protected if it is pick one through eight in the 2005 lottery and one through five in the 2006 lottery."

Anyone know how this works? The Raps won't get the pick if the Nets have pick 1 to 3 in the 05 lottery and picks 1 to 5 in 06. So do they lose the picks or does it carry over to another year?

Vince
Old 12-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Er...... shouldn't the title say "Carter to Nets" ?
Old 12-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank goodness the cry baby is gone. Maybe he will stop bitching now that he got his trade.

No the picks will not carry over unless it is stated in the deal.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:52 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

This is a horrible deal for the Raptors, which will look even worse in 2 years time.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fdl
This is a horrible deal for the Raptors, which will look even worse in 2 years time.
Maybe Toronto will loose their only NBA team if they dont turn it around within a few years.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:02 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DEI99662
Maybe Toronto will loose their only NBA team if they dont turn it around within a few years.

Hmmm, doubtful. Toronto is too big of a market.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Keeping emos out of

Damn, i thought that Vinsanity would go to the Trailblazers or some other team. Now he'll be in one of the biggest NBA markets whining and crying about his hurting knee and various aches and pains. Who's the biggest wuss, him or Marcus Camby???
Old 12-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Teh ?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey, leave Camby alone!!! He's been the most consistant Nuggie this year.

On Vince, it's pretty amazing how low his stock has become. BTW, the Nets are cleaning their salary room, so Vince might not be long in NJ, maybe this year and next at most.

Junkster, who thinks Toronto is gambling on the draft picks
Old 12-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Drifting

Yea, Carter, Shaq and Dwayne!!

Old 12-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Carter is gonna spring back to action now that he is going to a new team. Don't be DOGGIN my Tarheel alums!

Of course ... the Nets?

Also ... fixed title for ya domn ...
Old 12-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Banned

wasn't the title "Carter to Heat" ? or something wrong with my eyes ?
Old 12-17-2004, 08:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by matelot
It was, but it was incorrect and I fixed it

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1948449
Old 12-17-2004, 10:36 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by provench
It was, but it was incorrect and I fixed it

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1948449

Old 12-17-2004, 10:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The real Vince Carter ...

Old 12-18-2004, 04:04 AM
Drifting

carter = :ghey:

enjoy him jersey...
Old 12-18-2004, 04:04 AM
Drifting

he likes teh :ghey: clubs...
Old 12-18-2004, 08:46 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I guess hearing Zo's name thrown in there somehow made me type Heat

Either way, I agree with fdl, this is a horrible deal. Both picks are protected and Zo ain't coming last I heard. We basically got spare parts.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:44 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Latest news is that Vince tipped off Seattle players on the play the Raps would be running near the end of the game when they played last month. SI had quotes from Seattle players. If this is true why would anyone want a guy like that on their team?

Good riddance to bad rubish.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Team Owner

It was, and I pointed it out in post #2, but nobody pays attention to poor little jlukja.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:14 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jlukja
It was, and I pointed it out in post #2, but nobody pays attention to poor little jlukja.

And you are?
Old 12-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by domn
And you are?
In need of reputation, obviously.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jlukja
In need of reputation, obviously.

I'd send points but I have to spread em first.

Anyway here's what predict will happen in Jersey.

- Carter comes aboard and averages about 25PPG for the first month or so.
- His production begins falling off by Febuary and he claims "Its a team effort, we win and lose as a team"
- New Jersey like the Raps will be struggling for a playoff spot.
- Rumbles begin in New Jersey about how Carter refuses to go to the hole.
- By March Carter strains something and misses a few games.
- By April he'll claim he's done with dunking.
- By June New Jersey will realize why they had to give up so little to get Carter
- A Summer full of Carter trade rumours begins.
- Carter's mom loses her parking sopt at the Arena
- September - Carter named Most Overated in NBA history.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm still waiting for part 2 of this trade to happen.

Rose and Marshall for Jones, Wright + fillers and cash to help pay for Zo's buyout
Old 12-20-2004, 02:45 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Anyone know how this works? The Raps won't get the pick if the Nets have pick 1 to 3 in the 05 lottery and picks 1 to 5 in 06. So do they lose the picks or does it carry over to another year?

So I anyone answer this question? If the Nets pick say 2nd this year, they keep the pick but what happens to Toronto? Does the pick carry over to next year or do they lose it? I can't see it carrying over to next year.

If both picks end up being protected thus Toronto loses them then literally they got nothing for Vince Carter.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm sure Carter would perform better with Kidd dishing him the ball. Kidd can make most players look good.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:21 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Vince Carter can't wait to play for his new team and prove he hasn't lost a step or any height on his vertical jump. ''I'm going to make a lot of people eat their words when it's time,'' the former Toronto Raptor said after his first practice with the Nets. ''Don't be my friend later. 'If you hate me now, hate me later. I don't mind.''
Old 12-21-2004, 07:59 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

+ 1. We'll be eating our words for about a month. How can he possibly expalin he horrible play going on 4 years now? He didn't want out for 4 years.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

So I anyone answer this question? If the Nets pick say 2nd this year, they keep the pick but what happens to Toronto? Does the pick carry over to next year or do they lose it? I can't see it carrying over to next year.

If both picks end up being protected thus Toronto loses them then literally they got nothing for Vince Carter.
I think the picks are Philly 2005 and Den 2006

Philly protected 1-8 in 05, protected 1-5 in 06 and unprotected in 07

Den protected 1-3 in 06.. unprotected 07

all picks are carried over until we actually get to pick.... so worst (or best) case scenerio is we have two extra picks in 2007
Old 01-06-2005, 09:53 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

The dunk competition? Come on.

Raptors watching Carter's play

TORONTO (CP) - Vince Carter has been lighting it up in New Jersey and don't think his former Toronto Raptors teammates haven't noticed.

There were some raised eyebrows at the Air Canada Centre on Wednesday when the question of Carter's success with the Nets was raised.

"He's still the same person, he still has the same social security number so he definitely had it in him," said Raptors guard Jalen Rose.

Carter scored a season-high 31 points in a 112-88 loss to the Washington Wizards on Tuesday night. He cooled down somewhat Wednesday, registering 15 points in the Nets' 97-74 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks.

But Carter came into Wednesday's game averaging 24 points in 41.1 minutes with the Nets, compared to 15.9 points in 30.4 minutes with the Raptors before the Dec. 17 blockbuster trade.

And it's not just that he's scoring, but how he's scoring. Carter, who earlier this season joked that he wasn't going to dunk anymore, calling it "overrated," has been a dunking machine in New Jersey. He told the New York Post he's considering entering the dunk contest in next month's NBA all-star game, which would mark his first appearance in the dunk contest since he won it in spectacular fashion in 2000.

The Nets are 2-4 since the trade. The Raptors improved to 4-5 with a 96-93 home win over Sacramento on Wednesday.

Raptors coach Sam Mitchell said Carter's heart probably just wasn't in Toronto this season.

"Vince asked to be traded and maybe once that happened, maybe his heart wasn't totally committed to being a Toronto Raptor," said Mitchell. "Once he divorced the Toronto Raptors in his heart and in his mind. . ."

Mitchell argued that Carter did make an effort this season.

"Vince played hard, he tried to do what I asked him to do, he practised every day, he didn't complain, he allowed me to coach the team they way I wanted to coach the team, but he also stated that he didn't want to be here," said Mitchell.

The Raptors coach added Carter was bound to score more on a team with two all-stars in Jason Kidd and Richard Jefferson. Opponents have two other explosive, high-scoring players to focus on defensively, whereas in Toronto, Carter was the focal point.

Raptors forward Morris Peterson said he's not surprised by Carter's play in New Jersey.

"You know that Vince can score, you know what kind of player he is, you know he can light up the scoreboard," said Peterson. "It's interesting to see what he's doing."

But Peterson wouldn't go so far as to say he's angry Carter didn't show the same stuff in Toronto this season.

"I can't even say that," said Peterson. "Right now, we're just concentrating on the team we have, the players we have, and we're not concerned about anything else."
Old 01-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

fdl - Seems you guys have some baggage with Carter in TO ..

I ... for one ... would love to see Carter step up his game and enter the dunking competition again I'll never talk down a UNC guy ... and Carter has some game ... he just needs to stop being lazy.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:01 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by provench
fdl - Seems you guys have some baggage with Carter in TO ..

I ... for one ... would love to see Carter step up his game and enter the dunking competition again I'll never talk down a UNC guy ... and Carter has some game ... he just needs to stop being lazy.

I wouldnt say baggage, but its frustrating to see that he may have been purposely dragging his feet here for the past 2 years.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:09 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Carter scored a season-high 31 points in a 112-88 loss to the Washington Wizards on Tuesday night. He cooled down somewhat Wednesday, registering 15 points in the Nets' 97-74 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks.
A career high 31 in a 24 point loss? Someone call the HOF quick

He can put up all the points he wants, at the end of the day the Nets are no better off. He's not a player that makes a team better, he's simply a highlight reel. Enjoy Carter Jersey.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:22 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Vince Carter tells TNT that he didn't always give it his all in Toronto

TORONTO (CP) - Vince Carter admits he didn't always give it his all with the Toronto Raptors. In an interview Carter was asked if he pushed himself as hard as he should have in Toronto.

"In years past, no," said Carter, now a member of the New Jersey Nets. "I was fortunate to have the talent . . . you get spoiled when you're able to do a lot of things. You see that you don't have to work at it.

"Now, with the all the injuries, I have to work harder. I'm a little hungrier. Getting a fresh start has made me want to attack the basket."

Carter's comments come after questions about his dedication to the game, his commitment to off-season conditioning and his desire to improve from former teammates, broadcasters and media.

The criticism sometimes bothered Carter.

"Guys compare it to Michael Jordan, the game face. I have that," said Carter. "But I enjoy basketball. I love to smile. If I'm not smiling, then it's a problem . . . then I'm really not competing.

"Everybody looks at it like, 'This is the way this guy plays.' Some players have said just because they approach the game that way, that I should. And I still have the same results in the end."

Carter has looked like a different player since the Dec. 17 trade that sent him to New Jersey for Alonzo Mourning, Aaron Williams and Eric Williams plus two first-round draft picks.

Motivated by the change, Carter has revived his dominating inside game which had nearly disappeared in favour of the outside jump shot with the Raptors.

Carter is averaging 22.5 points in 40.3 minutes with the Nets, compared to 15.9 points in 30.4 minutes with the Raptors before the trade.

The improvement drew the ire of Raptors broadcaster Leo Rautins.

"If someone has as much talent as (Carter), then you know if they are using it or not," Rautins told the Toronto Sun. "Sooner or later, they'll see his true colours (in New Jersey).

"I'd be shocked if they didn't. He would have to have a huge change. If you can all of a sudden change it, wow, that's an indictment of what you were doing in Toronto."

Rautins also accused Carter of playing his hardest outside of Toronto.

"I was shocked last year when Carter went to the all-star game (in Los Angeles)," Rautins said. "He ran faster and jumped higher than I had seen in three years. What's the difference? Why there? . . .

"Why wasn't he running in Toronto? Rafer Alston was pushing the ball up just like Jason Kidd. He ran for Jason Kidd, but he didn't run for Rafer Alston."

Old 01-07-2005, 03:42 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

What an asswhipe. Like Rautins said, he'll show his true colors eventually.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:55 PM

haha...i rather run with kidd then alston, but that's just me

you canadians seem crabbier without NHL
Old 01-07-2005, 04:02 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dabuda

No, this would piss me off just the same if the NHL was on. Why someone would admit to not playing hard makes no sense to me. NOT the kind a player I want on my team but its the NBA so...........
Old 01-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by dabuda

I would run with Skip to ma loo...

Yea, without hockey, all they have is that broom thingie

Junkster, who actually watched that broom thingie for the winter olympics
Old 01-07-2005, 04:18 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Curling !!!

Hurry hard !!! Hard !!! Hard !!! Hurry Hard !!!!

domn, who loves watching Curling.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:14 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
I'm sure Carter would perform better with Kidd dishing him the ball. Kidd can make most players look good.
Kidd could be almost as overrated as Carter. Almost.

Here in Motown, I never could understand the attraction to Curling whenever I was flipping channels thru CBC. That was until I tried it - our company sponsored an event in Windsor with some clients and I played with some of our Foreign Exchange Traders - what a blast! Beats bowling by miles.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Teh ?

Curling !!!

Hurry hard !!! Hard !!! Hard !!! Hurry Hard !!!!

Staying on topic...

I bet Vince Carter would half-ass himself through curling... then ask to be traded to another curling team, where he would, at first, put up the effort, until he can tell that another teammate is much better then him and he has to play a 2nd option role.

Junkster, who wonders what other sports are Canada exclusive

Quick Reply: Carter to Nets