Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Boxing: News and Discussion Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 07:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
Ref bailed out Mayweather on a couple legal shots from McGregor

called the fight too early

not sure if the outcome would have been different, but that's why boxing sucks.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
I don't think Conor was coming back even if not called. At least we got to go to sleep earlier. But yeah boxing WTF. Plus the previous fight with the Costa Rican kid losing with a back in the head punch. Too much BS.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:19 AM
Safety Car

boxing is not fighting, it's boxing... which is why it sucks and will never grow outside it's group of existing fans. People watch expecting to see a fight, and they're given a bunch of garbage.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,413 Likes on 3,023 Posts
Originally Posted by brian2

Agreed, the fight was obviously being called for Mayweather, any time he was in trouble or McGregor was starting to get good hits in the ref would break it up and reset them. But the second that McGregor gets on the ropes, it's over and they call TKO Total fucking joke
Old 08-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
1st three rounds to McGregor? Mayweather looks out of place, but it's way early...
The scoring also was skewed, even the announcers were questioning why Mayweather was getting more points when McGregor was landing more shots just about every single round
Old 08-28-2017, 09:30 AM
Team Owner

I think Mayweather threw 4 punches in the 1st round. Did he win that one?
Old 08-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

McGregor "won" the first 3 rounds, but only by 1 point each round I believe, they then handed the rest to Mayweather to make it look like he was winning
Old 08-28-2017, 10:03 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts

It most definitely was not called early. Mac was out by all means.
That being said.. fight was fixed.

I don't blame the ref.. he made a lot of mistakes that night.
The first thing you notice is before the bout starts, the ref is stating the rules to both.
The whole time, he's addressing mac though.. like a dead stare.. lol

Then comes the hammerfist. These are actually legal punches. The rules are no slaps or backhands. Well.. it's neither.
Now hammerfists (any strike) to the back of the head are illegal, but top of the head and side are fair game.

Here's where the ref messed up for Mayweather. It's totally fucking illegal to hold your opponent and bash them.
Whether it's clinching the top of his head / neck / side of body.
It was brilliant for Mac to transition and then go body head, but you can't hold / clinch your opponent and go to town.

Originally Posted by Doom878
I don't think Conor was coming back even if not called. At least we got to go to sleep earlier. But yeah boxing WTF. Plus the previous fight with the Costa Rican kid losing with a back in the head punch. Too much BS.
Fonseca wants a NC and rematch
He was totally fine.. that punch to the back of the head did not put him out.
He put up a good fight, but he was losing. I'd love to see them scrap again.

boxing is not fighting, it's boxing... which is why it sucks and will never grow outside it's group of existing fans. People watch expecting to see a fight, and they're given a bunch of garbage.
I like boxing. It is most definitely a "sport" competition. But I don't think the rules make it bad at all.
It's the politics and sport fixing that make boxing shit. Most of these fights are fixed one way or another.
I watch jits, taekwondo, judo, wrestling.. all sport rules. It's a fight with rules, which make it a sport.
Even MMA has rules.

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Agreed, the fight was obviously being called for Mayweather, any time he was in trouble or McGregor was starting to get good hits in the ref would break it up and reset them. But the second that McGregor gets on the ropes, it's over and they call TKO Total fucking joke
Mac was fucked up.
Ref was incompetent in some regard, and the fight was fixed, but Mac was getting tuned up for over a minute.
The stop was good. I even had money on Mac. I've talked shit about Maynever before, but this was a good scrap.
I don't have an issue with the stop or incompetent officiating. The only thing I see wrong is the judges scorecards (obvs bias or fixed).

Originally Posted by Doom878
I think Mayweather threw 4 punches in the 1st round. Did he win that one?
That's the only round the judges agreed was Macs. The 2nd and 3rd, two judges gave to Mayweather, even though he didn't do shit.

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
McGregor "won" the first 3 rounds, but only by 1 point each round I believe, they then handed the rest to Mayweather to make it look like he was winning
Even though Mayweather didn't punch much, I wouldn't call them 10-8 rounds for Mac.
Mac won those rounds but they weren't one sided. Mac was aggressive and active, but most of his shots were blocked.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:07 AM

I really love that this scrap went down. I want to see more MMA guys going after boxers in both the square and octagon.
It reminds me of the OG days where styles made fights. Crane kungfu vs catch wrestler.. lol
You knew who was probably going to win, but it's still a scrap at the end of the day.

Just no more James Toneys please.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Glad I got to watch it at my brothers. I would have been pissed to have paid for it. Although, everyone knew who was going to win.

50-0 and a TKO, you shouldn't even be able to count that.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:27 AM

Fucking Snoop Dogg went apeshit after the win..
Said Fuck you Mac, you a motherfucker, all types of shit..
Snoop.. the new commentator for the UFC's new series.. talking shit to their star child.

He kept it 100.. he dumb af.. but he real. lol.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:45 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Majofo
I like boxing. It is most definitely a "sport" competition. But I don't think the rules make it bad at all.
It's the politics and sport fixing that make boxing shit. Most of these fights are fixed one way or another.
I watch jits, taekwondo, judo, wrestling.. all sport rules. It's a fight with rules, which make it a sport.
Even MMA has rules.
It's not rules that make it bad... every fighting competition needs some sort of rules or guys would be leaving the ring with one eye, or worse. It's the stupid ass rules that have made turning your back on your opponent a strategy that are bad.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:49 AM
Safety Car

it's probably not fair to call them stupid ass rules. They're there for a reason. It's the boxer's reactions to the rules that have made it suck.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:33 PM

That's what I loved about the scrap.. Mac was getting super dirty in there..
Fook these rules
Ref was like.. uhhhhhhh... that don't look right.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
I really love that this scrap went down. I want to see more MMA guys going after boxers in both the square and octagon.
It reminds me of the OG days where styles made fights. Crane kungfu vs catch wrestler.. lol
You knew who was probably going to win, but it's still a scrap at the end of the day.

Just no more James Toneys please.
I miss Pride. Yoshida vs Mark Hunt. Judo vs obese K1 kickboxer.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:24 PM

The absolute best! It didn't even cost that much to watch.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:28 PM
Safety Car

you'll never see it like it was back in the beginning as MMA is a discipline all on it's own now
Old 08-28-2017, 03:00 PM
Team Owner

Yup. Watered down too IMO
Old 08-28-2017, 03:04 PM

I know right.. what happened to NHB, nutshots, eye gouges, biting, broken bottles, chairs and ladders, tacks, power bombs.. shiett..
Old 08-28-2017, 05:58 PM
Safety Car

They'll have to throw a lion in the cage with an mma champ to get me excited at this point
The following users liked this post:
97BlackAckCL (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 12:55 AM

Finally watching Cotto / Kamegai.. Shiettt what a fire ass match. Kamegai puts on relentless pressure. He's taking huge hits but walking forward. Cotto is super frustrated. Great match.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:12 AM

Fucking shit.. throw in the towel. Kamegai got hit with a right hook that looked like it snapped his neck. He couldn't reset his head off his shoulder. It was freaky, I've never seen anything like it. Kamegai has that Homer Simpson gene, but there's a point where using your face to defend punches has zero return. Fuck.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:40 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Hmmm. Well, UFC sent me a full refund for the Mayweather fight. Guess they are sending it to everyone whether they had problems or not.
The following users liked this post:
97BlackAckCL (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
They'll have to throw a lion in the cage with an mma champ to get me excited at this point
I'd pay top dollar to watch Dumb@$$ fight Kim Jong-un.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
$34.50 on the -er.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:36 AM
Team Owner

Once again fuck you boxing

https://my.xfinity.com/articles/spor...s_media_Canelo

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Canelo-Triple G rematch, expected to be the fight of the year, is off.

Canelo Alvarez has withdrawn from next month's middleweight title bout with Gennady Golovkin, two months after Alvarez twice tested positive for a banned substance.

"I have always been a clean fighter and I always will be a clean fighter," Alvarez said Tuesday during a conference call. "I want to prove without a doubt that I have never intentionally ingested clenbuterol. I have nothing to hide and I want to be open and transparent through this process. . I have never taken illegal substances and this is no different."

The May 5 fight in Las Vegas was to have been a rematch of the draw they fought last September. But on March 5, Alvarez's promoters, Golden Boy Promotions, announced he twice tested positive for the steroid in February. They blamed contaminated meat, and Alvarez agreed to random drug testing.

It was unlikely the Nevada State Athletic Commission would approve the fight after it temporarily suspended Alvarez, who could face a longer suspension.

Alvarez is to appear before the commission April 18 concerning the positive tests. Golden Boy President Eric Gomez said Tuesday the promoters were advised Alvarez likely would not be cleared to fight May 5.

"I've never let you down," Alvarez said to his fans. "I've never let you down and I never will. I respect what I do."

Golovkin is hoping to fight a different opponent at T-Mobile Arena on May 5, but it won't approach the huge event that the rematch with Alvarez would have been.

"I am looking forward to returning to Las Vegas for my 20th title defense and headlining my first Cinco De Mayo event on May 5," Golovkin said in a statement. "It is time for less drama and more fighting."

It's possible Golovkin and Alvarez could meet later this year, depending on any sanctions placed on the Mexican fighter.

Golovkin, of Kazakhstan, publicly doubted that tainted meat caused Alvarez's positive test.

"Again with Mexican meat? Come on," Golovkin said in March. "I told you, it's not Mexican meat. This is Canelo. This is his team. This is his promotion. ... Canelo is cheating. They're using these drugs, and everybody is just trying to pretend it's not happening."

The first bout was a memorable one. They traded big shots for 12 rounds, both believing they had won. The judging on one card, however, was strange.

A 118-110 margin favored Alvarez by Adalaide Byrd; she had him winning all but two rounds. Another card favored Golovkin 115-113 while the third had it 114-114. The Associated Press also scored it 114-114.

Such a close fight screamed for a rematch. And the May fight — on Cinco de Mayo, no less — has been highly anticipated.

Now it must wait.

Meanwhile, Golovkin's promoters will search for a new opponent for the Kazakh, who owns the WBA, WBC, IBF and IBO crowns.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:45 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
My cousin bought tickets to go watch this fight live in Vegas. Yes he is PISSED.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:22 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,409 Posts
some flappy guy beat up a lean buff dude

Andy Ruiz Jr. stuns Anthony Joshua with TKO to claim heavyweight titles https://es.pn/2Kf3Ns6
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Old 06-02-2019, 12:25 AM

No. Fucking. Way.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:39 AM

Yo.. I wrote this one off like nothing.
Ruiz isn't a can, but not the caliber of AJ.. or so I thought.

AJ took out Breazeale.. Klitschko.. crazy
I've been waiting for AJ vs Wilder or Fury.
This was just another stone to jump til $$$$
Shit

Ruiz really messican mang
Everytime he got hurt / drilled, he came back 10x
Crazy
Old 06-03-2019, 07:07 AM
Team Owner

All those chimichangas worth it
Old 07-23-2020, 01:09 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...hibition-match

Mike Tyson to face Roy Jones Jr. in Sept. 12 exhibition match

Former undisputed heavyweight champion Mike Tyson is making a comeback.

Tyson, 54, will fight Roy Jones Jr. in an eight-round exhibition on Sept. 12 at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California. The bout will be broadcast on pay-per-view as well as multimedia platform Triller. According to a news release, Triller will also show a 10-part docuseries leading up to the bout.

Tyson (50-6) has caused a stir on social media the past few months as he posted footage of himself training. He last fought 15 years ago, when Kevin McBride stopped Tyson six rounds.

Tyson, in an appearance on ESPN's First Take on Thursday, explained his rea$oning for a return to the ring.

"It's because I can do it. And I believe other people believe they can do it too," Tyson said. "Just because we are 54, it doesn't mean that we have to start a new career and our lives are totally over. Not when you feel as beautiful as I do, and I'm sure that other people feel the same way.

"I never took that many punches. After the last fight I had, I left and I lived my life, and I've been through some experiences, and now I'm back here. I feel like I took better care of my body and my state of mind than most of the fighters before me that retired and came back."

Jones (66-9), at his apex, was considered the most brilliant boxer in the sport, winning titles at middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight, and heavyweight. He was a sublime mix of speed, technique and ring intelligence.

Last month, Jones, 51, expressed interest in a possible bout with Tyson.

"I've been trying to enjoy retirement, but people don't seem to want to let me retire," Jones said. "They keep calling me, telling me that Mike wants to come back, and that you'd be a great opponent for Mike.

"We always wanted to see it, but I would've preferred it back then. Tyson is a hell of a specimen still. Still a problem to deal with. But at the same time, life is life, you only live once. You want to know what it's like, you go in there and see. You still gotta see it."

"Iron Mike" was considered one of the most ferocious fighters in the world. He became the youngest heavyweight champion in history (at 20 years and four months) by stopping Trevor Berbick in two rounds in November 1986.

Tyson then ruled the division with impunity, making nine successful defenses and unifying the division before being upset by Buster Douglas in February 1990.

After spending three years in jail for a rape conviction, Tyson returned to boxing in 1995, then won the WBC and WBA heavyweight titles in 1996. Tyson's last true big fight came in the summer of 2002, when he was halted in eight rounds by Lennox Lewis.

As for Jones, his career declined after he was knocked out by Antonio Tarver in 2004. That began a three-bout losing streak, and a fighter who was once considered untouchable became more and more susceptible to getting knocked out.

Jones last appeared in a professional bout in February 2018, when he defeated Scott Sigmon by decision. The last recognizable name on his ledger, Enzo Maccarinelli, knocked out Jones in four rounds in Moscow in 2015.

Tyson didn't seem too concerned when asked about the risk he and Jones face fighting at their respective ages.

"We're both accomplished fighters, we know how to take care of ourselves," he said. "It's an eight-round exhibition. And, listen, we'll be all right. Trust me, we can take care of ourselves."

In an interview with Yahoo Sports, Andy Foster, the executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, said that he believed there wouldn't be headgear, but that the boxers would use 12-ounce gloves.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:16 AM
Team Owner

Tyson still looks good if you've seen the clips. Jones being susceptible to knockouts is not ideal