Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Barry says he...

Old 03-23-2005 | 02:43 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by LLWesMan

Thats crap, if you've ever been to PacBell you'd know it. Only like five hitters have ever hit it into the water, and its not a short fence.

are you kidding me...
First off I have been there

The Fence is 307' and it doesn't bow out...
Most fields say that are 320' down the line are 375' at least, by the time you get to right center.
That's a pull hitters dream
Like the Polo Grounds, or Pensky's Pole
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:43 PM
Team Owner

I think it's pretty clear that he was/is on steroids. He was named by a couple of people, if I'm not mistaken, and I think it's pretty clear that the shoe fits.

And as a SF fan, LL, you have to have heard him pull the race card more than once.
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:47 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by cob3683

But Ruth is still the greatest player ever IMO. However, I had some seriously high hopes for Ken Griffey Jr, but that guy just keeps getting injured. Natural power and all around great player.

Yeah I wasn't comparing Ruth in this situation. I agree he is the greatest ever.

Just for some stats though
When Mantle played in yankee Stadium...these were the dimensions

301' left
402' left Center (bullpens)
415' center left
457' Center
463' center right
407' right center
363' right right center
310' right field

dimension of Pac Bell
Left field: 335 feet;
left-center: 364 feet;
center field: 404 feet;
right-center: 420 feet;
right field: 307 feet

and when they talk of Right Center at Pac Bell, they are talking at the bend
Not the first 75' of the wall that is all 307' so Ponds can pull it over thus creating a more exciting game.
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:48 PM
In need of an AV.........

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? It still hasn't been proven whether or not he knowingly took steroids. He should be given the same allowances that anybody else is given. By the way its idol not idle .

Just give this guy a break.

First of all thanks for the spelling correction. Since you expanded my knowledge, I owe you something in return. Today's lesson will be.......innocent until proven guilty!!!! Can you honestly, (remember you have to live with your answer) tell me that you did not "assume" someone was guilty, ever???? Michael Jackson, Scott Peterson, Clinton, Al Capone???

Capone, that is a good one. Do you think he ever killed someone or had someone killed??? He was never convicted of it!!!

Give me a break on the innocent until proven guilty. If you think Bonds did not take steroids, I have some WONDERFUL beach front property in Tennessee for you to buy.
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:50 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by JWhite1301
First of all thanks for the spelling correction. Since you expanded my knowledge, I owe you something in return. Today's lesson will be.......innocent until proven guilty!!!! Can you honestly, (remember you have to live with your answer) tell me that you did not "assume" someone was guilty, ever???? Michael Jackson, Scott Peterson, Clinton, Al Capone???

Capone, that is a good one. Do you think he ever killed someone or had someone killed??? He was never convicted of it!!!

Give me a break on the innocent until proven guilty. If you think Bonds did not take steroids, I have some WONDERFUL beach front property in Tennessee for you to buy.

I got a Bridge in Brooklyn for sale.
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JWhite1301
Just look at the guy's frickin' head. Sorry but what the fuck makes one's head and skull grow?
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by pgatour1
I got a Bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

Hey LL, PGA will give you a great interest rate on the loan for my beach front property. He told me, since he knew you and all, you could have a loan at 38% interest. Man that is a great deal. I am thinking of taking a loan with him to buy Barry's record breaking HR ball. That way it will be worth millions when they find out he never took roids, lied, cheated, played the race card, etc.

Old 03-23-2005 | 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by TLover
Just look at the guy's frickin' head. Sorry but what the fuck makes one's head and skull grow?

LL, I am awaiting an answer......

TLover--I got it----It was his brain growing from all the reading/studying he has been doing....

on roids.
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:57 PM
Banned

The funniest part is he says he wears the same size baseball cap. Yeah, Barry, but in your youth you had an afro and now you're bald. Shouldn't you be wearing a SMALLER cap now?
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:58 PM
Burn some dust here

Barry Bonds 1998

Barry Bonds 2001

I really believe that it was just a lot of hard work put forward on his part. Don't you guys?
Old 03-23-2005 | 03:00 PM
Race Director

Old 03-23-2005 | 03:01 PM
Race Director

someone please blow that up
Old 03-23-2005 | 10:44 PM
Ahhhhhhhh

It just seems like he's taking all the blame, when there are guys like Sosa getting totally overlooked. I'm not saying he didn't take steroids, in fact I'm sure that he did, but I still don't think that he should be crucified in the media to the extent that he has been.
Old 03-24-2005 | 12:12 AM
My M45 loves to eat rice

It just seems like he's taking all the blame, when there are guys like Sosa getting totally overlooked. I'm not saying he didn't take steroids, in fact I'm sure that he did, but I still don't think that he should be crucified in the media to the extent that he has been.
You're obviously a Giants fan and if I were you I'd probably be trying to defend Bonds too, but let's face it, the man is a first-class disgrace. I love how he attempts to create a sob story to make the media become the evil ones in this situation. Did the media make you cheat on your wife and have your mistress turn against you? Did the media make you take steroids when you already were a first-ballot hall-of-famer? Did the media make you be an asshole to all your teammates for years? Barry Bonds has no right to even attempt to pin the blame on someone else, he caused it himself all along. There's no denying that this guy is one of the best baseball players ever to step on a field, but this whole crying game has got to stop.

And as for 755, it will be a dark day in baseball if Barry Bonds ever breaks Hank Aaron's record. There are certain records that are not meant to be broken, and this record should stay in the record books until a deserving man comes along with hard work, dedication, and above all, sportsmanship. He has always been a great player, but he's a first-class douchebag. The videos of Hank Aaron walking around the bases when he hit 715 and having people run alongside him and cheer him on is classic. How is it going to be if Bonds ever gets 756? In the middle of Busch Stadium or some National League park on a Friday night, while the hometown fans chant ''STEROIDS'' or ''BARRY SUCKS''? Some things are just not meant to be, and hopefully Barry Bonds just rides into the sunset and goes nowhere near not only Hank Aaron's record, but even Babe Ruth's 714.
Old 03-24-2005 | 02:14 AM
Drifting

You'd rather McGwire had it?
yeah. the race between him and sosa revived the sport on a level that hadn't been seen in quite a few years. the two were class-acts the whole way and people had little, or nothing bad to say about either of them. also, we all knew mcgwire could hit hard from the very beginning, whereas bonds didn't start out as a power hitter. lastly, mcgwire admitted he took andro and didn't blame anyone for any of his problems. on top of that, the cards were throwing millions at him and he still turned it down.
Old 03-24-2005 | 02:45 AM
Ahhhhhhhh

Originally Posted by sleeper
yeah. the race between him and sosa revived the sport on a level that hadn't been seen in quite a few years. the two were class-acts the whole way and people had little, or nothing bad to say about either of them. also, we all knew mcgwire could hit hard from the very beginning, whereas bonds didn't start out as a power hitter. lastly, mcgwire admitted he took andro and didn't blame anyone for any of his problems. on top of that, the cards were throwing millions at him and he still turned it down.
Thats crap, in 98 I was one of the few who said they were both juicing. Sosa is an absolute joke, since he's entered the majors he's gained over 70 pounds. Do you know how he explains it? He got his teeth fixed so he can eat more. What a clown. Barry has hit 30 home runs every season for the past 13 years, he's definitely been a power threat before the last few seasons. McGwire made a fool of himself in front of Congress, and he didn't even have to balls to say he did or didn't take steroids.
Old 03-24-2005 | 03:14 AM
Drifting

Thats crap, in 98 I was one of the few who said they were both juicing.
what, you want a fucking cookie? i think most of us knew that a lot of power hitters, let alone average hitters were on something.

McGwire made a fool of himself in front of Congress, and he didn't even have to balls to say he did or didn't take steroids.
at least he said he was taking something when he didn't even have to do that. he took a lot of flak for that and he didn't bitch about how others are doing similar things and not being scrutinized for it. "oh, the media!" please....

also, bonds wasn't really a huge threat (like he has been for the last few years) until '00, which was 14 years into his career. yes, he has a long streak of 30+ HRs, but he never even hit over 50 until the '01 season.

there's no arguing that these players have used steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs, but for bonds to say he didn't know what was going on is what? he didn't suspect something might be wrong with his "ointment"?

as for sosa, he's had 10 straight seasons of 30+ HRs, so i don't see how that makes bonds some kind of super-human according to that stat. and i don't think most players, including bonds, could do the 60+ HR for 3 seasons. of couse, we'll never know since pitchers are being pussies and would rather walk him.

there's a lot of reasons why people hate bonds, but his abundance of talent isn't one of them.
Old 03-24-2005 | 03:33 AM
Race Director

Can I please go back to the 1950s

I fit in so much better back then
Baseball was pure
Women were in the Kitchen
there were no computers, so stealing things was easy not to get caught
People weren't whining hippie bitches
I could Own a Bel Air.
Old 03-24-2005 | 07:53 AM
Team Owner

But you'd die from polio.

That Sosa teeth story is interesting. Where'd you hear that. Didn't know he gained 70.
Old 03-24-2005 | 01:09 PM
Ahhhhhhhh

what, you want a fucking cookie? i think most of us knew that a lot of power hitters, let alone average hitters were on something.

at least he said he was taking something when he didn't even have to do that. he took a lot of flak for that and he didn't bitch about how others are doing similar things and not being scrutinized for it. "oh, the media!" please....

also, bonds wasn't really a huge threat (like he has been for the last few years) until '00, which was 14 years into his career. yes, he has a long streak of 30+ HRs, but he never even hit over 50 until the '01 season.

there's no arguing that these players have used steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs, but for bonds to say he didn't know what was going on is what? he didn't suspect something might be wrong with his "ointment"?

as for sosa, he's had 10 straight seasons of 30+ HRs, so i don't see how that makes bonds some kind of super-human according to that stat. and i don't think most players, including bonds, could do the 60+ HR for 3 seasons. of couse, we'll never know since pitchers are being pussies and would rather walk him.

there's a lot of reasons why people hate bonds, but his abundance of talent isn't one of them.
Its amazing to me that you can stand up for Sosa over Bonds. Sosa is a scumbag who walks out on his teammates. One of the most selfish players that I can think of. The only reason people dislike Barry Bonds is because he's a private type of person, and because he isn't modest. He often brushes off fans in order to go and see his family. Wow, what a bad guy. For some reason our media expects everyone to be totally humble, not everyone is, Barry Bonds is one of the greatest players ever, and he has earned the right to say he's pretty damn good in my book. My comment about his 30 home run seasons was in response to you saying that Bonds hasn't always been a power threat. Also, Barry would easily have hit 60 home runs each of the past three seasons if not for the OVER 500 WALKS that he has been issued. He had 45, 45 and 46 home runs the past three seasons. With 550 more at bats, he EASILY hits 44 more home runs. Last season he hit 45 home runs in only 373 at bats. Not to mention he wins batting titles. To even compare Sammy Sosa to Barry is a joke.
Old 03-24-2005 | 01:17 PM
Team Owner

I think the both of them are complete jokes. Comparing the two of them is like deciding whether you'd want to eat a shit sandwich or shit pie.
Old 03-24-2005 | 01:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Always Dirty
I think the both of them are complete jokes. Comparing the two of them is like deciding whether you'd want to eat a shit sandwich or shit pie.
I'll take the shit sandwich.
Old 03-24-2005 | 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

interesting:
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/chea...llplayers.html
Old 03-24-2005 | 01:37 PM
Team Owner

It is interesting. No Bonds, though - that list only included people who were formally busted or admitted.
Old 03-24-2005 | 01:56 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Always Dirty

Turn Sandwich or a Giant Douche
Old 03-24-2005 | 01:58 PM
Team Owner

Bonds can't get busted anyways since the rule didn't change about steriods until this year.
Old 03-24-2005 | 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doom878
Bonds can't get busted anyways since the rule didn't change about steriods until this year.
It wasn't against baseball's rules, but it is illegal to take steroids without a prescription.
Old 03-24-2005 | 02:31 PM
Team Owner

Yeah I was referring to the cheat list.
Old 03-24-2005 | 04:47 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

:whocares: Bonds > McGwire
Bonds was a hall of fame player before he was on the juice, McGwire wasn't.
Old 03-24-2005 | 05:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
No way does Bond go to the hall solely on his accomplishments before he got big like that.

And at least McGwireisn't a racist douchebag.

Last edited by Always Dirty; 03-24-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2005 | 05:25 PM
Team Owner

Baseball writers vote for hall inclusion. McGwire was a great interview, Bonds treats reporters/writers like shit. What goes around will come around.
Old 03-24-2005 | 07:06 PM
Safety Car

Bonds is a douchebag, I hope he never hits another dinger
Old 03-24-2005 | 08:16 PM
Ahhhhhhhh

Originally Posted by jlukja
Baseball writers vote for hall inclusion. McGwire was a great interview, Bonds treats reporters/writers like shit. What goes around will come around.
If Barry doesn't make the hall based on his interview skills that would take away from the hall of fame big time. Players aren't voted in on how nice they are. Look at Ty Cobb. Racist, mean, and he once attacked a handicapped person. But he was one of the best hitters ever, and he's in the hall.
Old 03-24-2005 | 08:25 PM
Safety Car

^^ we live in a much different time nowadays. If I recall correctly the Hall of Fame wasnt around until long after Cobb was done playing.

players arent eligible for the HOF until 5 years following their retirement. that means this thing could theoretically have 7 more years to play out, to fester. we have to see what kind of evidence or lack thereof surfaces pertaining to the steroids issue with him. If some harder stuff is revealed, you might be looking at a serious backlash towards Bonds (ie pete rose) that could keep him out of the Hall
Old 03-24-2005 | 09:06 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

who gives a bleep about barry...

he's not better then Mays, J Robinson, Clemente, or any of the old school greats

not even if he hits eleventy billion HRs
Old 03-24-2005 | 11:27 PM
My Work is Done Here

More Fuel to the Fire........

Hall of Fame??? Bonds in, McGwire out

NEW YORK (AP) - Mark McGwire could miss out on making the Hall of Fame because of baseball's swirling steroids scandal, heightened by his refusal to answer specific questions before Congress, an Associated Press survey showed Thursday.

Barry Bonds would get enough support to make it into Cooperstown, but he's far from being a shoo-in, according to results from 155 Hall voters polled this week among the roughly 500 eligible.

Only 65 said they would vote for McGwire when he becomes eligible in two years or were leaning that way; 52 said no or were leaning that way and 38 were undecided.

Bonds received 105 votes for election, 25 against and 25 were undecided.

Players need 75 percent of the vote to get into the Hall.

McGwire got just 55.6 percent support from those who gave a yes/no response, while Bonds was at 80.8 percent.

"I will not vote for Mark McGwire," Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times said. "It's obvious from his own statements he used some form of performance-enhancing drugs and it's obvious from his statistics he did not become a Hall of Fame-type player until he did so."

McGwire and Bonds are two of the biggest names in baseball - one past, one present.

McGwire hit 583 home runs and ranks sixth on the career list, and broke Roger Maris' record in 1998 by hitting 70 home runs.

Bonds hit 73 home runs in 2001, breaking McGwire's mark. He now has 703, just 52 shy of Hank Aaron's record.

Among the 20 players to hit 500 homers, all who have appeared on the ballot are in the Hall.

"Right now I'm sort of sitting on the fence, but leaning toward not voting for McGwire or Bonds because they cheated," said Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News, himself a member of the Hall's writers' wing.

"McGwire had the opportunity to say something, but didn't. To me, that's sort of like pleading the Fifth Amendment and not denying he did it," he said.

Subpoenaed by a congressional committee to testify last week, McGwire repeatedly refused to discuss whether he used illegal performance-enhancing drugs, saying he would not talk about the past.

The slugger was roundly criticized by fans, media and politicians - even in Missouri, the state where he set the home-run record while playing for the St. Louis Cardinals.

"He had a chance to help himself, help his sport, a chance to help kids and the parents sitting behind him and he just whiffed," said Jay Mariotti of the Chicago Sun-Times. "It might as well be a guilt admission."

Bonds, who has denied using illegal steroids, was not asked to appear before Congress. But in 2003, the San Francisco star testified before the federal grand jury investigating the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, known as BALCO.

Henry Schulman, who covers the Giants for the San Francisco Chronicle, plans to vote for both.

"The Hall of Fame is not a museum for saints. It's filled with racists, philanderers, players who used cork bats and spitters and everything at their disposal to their advantage," he said. "It's hard for me to single McGwire out. Unless he commits a crime, he's on my ballot."

As for Bonds, Schulman said: "I think he was a Hall of Famer before he had those monster home run seasons. ... Even if he were convicted of a crime, I would probably give him my vote to be consistent within myself. I've always felt Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame. I'd have to get some damning evidence confirmed on Barry before I would knock him off my first ballot."

There's no telling when members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America will be asked to decide on Bonds - players must be retired for five years before going on the ballot.

The AP contacted members of the BBWAA who are eligible to vote or will be by 2007 and asked whether they would support Bonds and/or McGwire for the Hall. Seventeen of those were AP sports writers.

This year, 516 votes were cast for the Hall by BBWAA voters, who must be members of the organization for 10 consecutive years or more. The total of eligible voters is likely to increase slightly by the time McGwire and Bonds appear on the ballot.

Sheldon Ocker of the Akron Beacon Journal said no to McGwire - but not because of the steroid issue.

"The only thing he has done to make him worthy of the Hall of Fame was break the home run record," he said. "Overall, he hasn't been good enough to get in."

Dan Le Batard of The Miami Herald said he would vote for both.

"Barry Bonds is the greatest player of our lifetime, with or without steroids. He won three MVPs as a stick figure," he said. "I don't think they were cheating. Something has to be against the rules for you to be cheating. Despite their size, these guys climbed through a loophole."

Baseball did not ban steroids until 2002.

"I begrudge the era that tolerated this more than I begrudge the man," said Jeff Horrigan of the Boston Herald, who said he would vote for both. "You can't wipe out the '90s."

Chris Haft, who covers the Giants for the San Jose Mercury News, would vote for Bonds but isn't sure about McGwire.

"I think a lot more will come out between now and two years from now. The events will make our decision a lot easier," he said. "All of us who vote take this really seriously. We also have the right to change our mind, because we're painfully human."
Old 03-24-2005 | 11:30 PM
Ahhhhhhhh

Originally Posted by ccannizz11
More Fuel to the Fire........

Hall of Fame??? Bonds in, McGwire out
That article basically sums up what I've been saying this whole time.

Old 03-25-2005 | 01:21 AM
Drifting

first off, i'm not disputing that bonds is talented and a great hitter. yeah he could always hit quite a few hrs, but not like he has in the last several years. secondly, i really don't like sosa all that much. he's an asshole because of the way he behaved in the clubhouse and the fans also lost respect for him. and in spite that, people still like him more than bonds. i think that right there says a lot about bonds. finally, i'm just saying according to the stat you posted up, sosa has some impressive numbers as well. and yes, bonds would probably have hit a lot more hrs if it weren't for the walks. then again, other players don't cram up the box with a limb either. bonds and his fucking elbow and pad; that's just takes away a little from what he's accomplished.

regardless of all this, anyone who knows anything about baseball knows bonds is one of the top 5 greatest hitters. i'm just saying even if mcguire and sosa aren't clean, neither is bonds.

anyway, good luck trying to convince a lot of other people that bonds is this baseball god and that he is pure and innocent. if mcgwire and sosa don't get into the hof and bonds does, baseball will have lost some of the little integrity it currently has. and if you've ever read the sports section in the la times, you'd know incredible asshats like plaschke shouldn't be given a vote to cast.

Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
mcgwire had over 200 hrs in his first 7 seasons alone (49 in his rookie year). if you honestly believe mcgwire wasn't hof caliber early in his career, you don't know shit about baseball.
Old 03-25-2005 | 01:37 AM
Ahhhhhhhh

mcgwire had over 200 hrs in his first 7 seasons alone (49 in his rookie year). if you honestly believe mcgwire wasn't hof caliber early in his career, you don't know shit about baseball.
200 hr's in 7 seasons doesn't put a player in the HOF. Juan Gonzalez did the same thing, is he a hall of famer? How about Vinny Castilla? Tim Salmon? Raul Mondesi? I agree with the writer who said that he wasn't HOF caliber before.