AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues (https://acurazine.com/forums/sports-talk-fantasy-leagues-38/)
-   -   ** Official UFC, Pride, K1, etc. Thread ** (https://acurazine.com/forums/sports-talk-fantasy-leagues-38/%2A%2A-official-ufc-pride-k1-etc-thread-%2A%2A-345991/)

juniorbean 08-14-2006 10:16 AM

** Official UFC, Pride, K1, etc. Thread **

Since there are a lot of UFC threads popping up lately it makes sense to contain them within one main topic like we do with the other sports. Feel free to post all UFC or other similar fighting promotion discussions in here.

If you want me to merge any threads in here, let me know and I will do that...

Nicky Pass 08-14-2006 10:29 AM

Merge them all and make it a sub forum???? You could do a sports topic at the top.....Just a suggestion.

UFC and Pride and now K1 is gonna pass up boxing!

juniorbean 08-14-2006 10:31 AM

No chance on the sub-forum. Each sport has it's own official topic in Ramblings, so now UFC, Pride, K1, etc has it's own topic for all of you fighting fans!! :D

Nicky Pass 08-14-2006 10:32 AM

Good enough!

So....Did you guys hear Brock Lensar is having his first MMA fight in October!?

Doom878 08-14-2006 09:18 PM

Why not a chance of a subforum? I guarantee it'll get more activity then most of the ones we have now. Just curious what merits a subforum or not? FYI, rules for each league especially K1 vs Price/UFC are totally different. I can understand Price/UFC/King of Ring/IFL being mixed.

Where's Brock fighting? UFC?

Doom878 08-14-2006 09:19 PM

Oh forgot to mention. This Thursday is Karo Parysian vs Diego Sanchez. :eek: That'll be a great fight. Then TUF4 starts right after.

BstonBruin 08-14-2006 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878
Why not a chance of a subforum? I guarantee it'll get more activity then most of the ones we have now. Just curious what merits a subforum or not? FYI, rules for each league especially K1 vs Price/UFC are totally different. I can understand Price/UFC/King of Ring/IFL being mixed.

Where's Brock fighting? UFC?

I think they have a good reason for not creating more forums/subforums. If every little thing got a subforum, the page would be way too busy lookin. :2cents: I just went to get some information at some random Cadillac forum, and they must have had about 30 different forums with subforums, and I still couldnt find what I was looking for, plus it looked awful. :2cents:

Yumcha 08-14-2006 11:19 PM

Don't watch this stuff too much...but, why is it that most of the successful ones need to wrestle/grapple?

Obviously, movies are not a good example. But, why is there no successful in-ring fighter who just relies strictly on say karate/kungfu...?

And on that example, would a master like Bruce Lee be able to kick a Chuck Lidell or whoever's keister...? (I think so. :D)

Mike 08-15-2006 12:40 AM

diego had his hands full w/nick diaz. don't think he'll take Karo out. diego is all g&p and i'm not overly impressived w/his skills. he has good take downs but that's about it.

Mike 08-15-2006 12:41 AM

good call on the thread junior! :thumbsup:

Simpleman 08-15-2006 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Don't watch this stuff too much...but, why is it that most of the successful ones need to wrestle/grapple?

Obviously, movies are not a good example. But, why is there no successful in-ring fighter who just relies strictly on say karate/kungfu...?

And on that example, would a master like Bruce Lee be able to kick a Chuck Lidell or whoever's keister...? (I think so. :D)

Chuck Liddell is primarily known as a striker though... he doesn't like to take the fight to the ground.

Doom878 08-15-2006 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by BstonBruin
I think they have a good reason for not creating more forums/subforums. If every little thing got a subforum, the page would be way too busy lookin. :2cents: I just went to get some information at some random Cadillac forum, and they must have had about 30 different forums with subforums, and I still couldnt find what I was looking for, plus it looked awful. :2cents:

I agree but some can be eliminated. Sports is a huge topic here in AZ. Look at how many pages the NFL, NBA, etc threads get to. They get ridiculously long and subjects get lost in the mix. If I don't check an "official" post after a day, I have to go posts about unrelated subjects in that sport. If I wanna talk Cubs, I gotta read pages of Red Sox crap for example.

I understand that the admins have their favorite topics as the sub forums and I respect that. It is their site. I just think a sports sub forum will keep Ramblings tidier especially with football season coming up.

MMA is all about all around skills. Ask anyone in the game. You can't be just a wrestler or just a striker. If you want just striking, watch K1. If you take a couple of submission classes you will truly appreciate the art and appreciate MMA 10 fold. Trust me, I used to love only striking. I learned some submission from my relative and now I totally understand MMA matches.

juniorbean 08-16-2006 09:47 AM

I agree but some can be eliminated. Sports is a huge topic here in AZ. Look at how many pages the NFL, NBA, etc threads get to. They get ridiculously long and subjects get lost in the mix. If I don't check an "official" post after a day, I have to go posts about unrelated subjects in that sport. If I wanna talk Cubs, I gotta read pages of Red Sox crap for example.

I understand that the admins have their favorite topics as the sub forums and I respect that. It is their site. I just think a sports sub forum will keep Ramblings tidier especially with football season coming up.

MMA is all about all around skills. Ask anyone in the game. You can't be just a wrestler or just a striker. If you want just striking, watch K1. If you take a couple of submission classes you will truly appreciate the art and appreciate MMA 10 fold. Trust me, I used to love only striking. I learned some submission from my relative and now I totally understand MMA matches.

We've been working on getting a general sports sub-forum for a while. So far it hasn't happened. Doesn't mean it won't, just that it's not in the cards for right now. A lot of topics are very popular in Ramblings, then when a sub-forum is created, hardly anyone goes in to participate. So sub-forums are something that are heavily evaluated before they are created, and most never happen in the interest of keeping those subjects in Ramblings where they get hits.

If anyone has anymore semantic related questions, please PM me or one of the admins. This thread is for discussion of the extreme fighting genre only, so please keep it on topic...

juniorbean 08-16-2006 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mike
good call on the thread junior! :thumbsup:

:D

GBockers 08-16-2006 12:12 PM

Werd!

MMA totally rocks, UFC is fun to watch too but I prefer Pride. Matt Hughes is a bad mofo, but how would he fare in Pride? OTOH wrestlers are bad dudes, a former room-mate of mine was a combo all-state wrestler / nut case. I saw him bust up dudes much bigger than he was. He'd leverage them onto the ground and then use his leverage to hold them down while he pounded them to ground beef.

I watch Pride and UFC, K1 not so much.

G

Doom878 08-16-2006 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by juniorbean
We've been working on getting a general sports sub-forum for a while. So far it hasn't happened. Doesn't mean it won't, just that it's not in the cards for right now. A lot of topics are very popular in Ramblings, then when a sub-forum is created, hardly anyone goes in to participate. So sub-forums are something that are heavily evaluated before they are created, and most never happen in the interest of keeping those subjects in Ramblings where they get hits.

If anyone has anymore semantic related questions, please PM me or one of the admins. This thread is for discussion of the extreme fighting genre only, so please keep it on topic...

Thank you for responding to my comments regarding this matter. Usually they are overlooked and I appreciate the time you took to give me an answer. :thumbsup:

Doom878 08-16-2006 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by GBockers
MMA totally rocks, UFC is fun to watch too but I prefer Pride. Matt Hughes is a bad mofo, but how would he fare in Pride? OTOH wrestlers are bad dudes, a former room-mate of mine was a combo all-state wrestler / nut case. I saw him bust up dudes much bigger than he was. He'd leverage them onto the ground and then use his leverage to hold them down while he pounded them to ground beef.

I watch Pride and UFC, K1 not so much.

G

I notice that wrestlers usually do very well in fights. Their take down ability and that they mastered leverage as you mentioned is what helps them get superior position to win a fight. Good luck reversing out from a wrestler. Look how Hughes beat Gracie. Got top position (everyone expected this), Gracie couldn't get out and rolled to his back, The End.

Yumcha 08-16-2006 06:53 PM

I notice that wrestlers usually do very well in fights. Their take down ability and that they mastered leverage as you mentioned is what helps them get superior position to win a fight. Good luck reversing out from a wrestler. Look how Hughes beat Gracie. Got top position (everyone expected this), Gracie couldn't get out and rolled to his back, The End.

So, could a good wrestler defeat an expert martial artist (i.e. Bruce Lee or something) that doesn't have any background in wrestling...?

Doom878 08-16-2006 06:56 PM

If they end up on the ground possibly. Fight could go either way. I'd like to find out. :popcorn:

Nykor 08-16-2006 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Yumchah
So, could a good wrestler defeat an expert martial artist (i.e. Bruce Lee or something) that doesn't have any background in wrestling...?

In the early UFC stuff all of the fighters were extremely one dimensional. The wrestlers always did very well. Regardless of how good people were at a martial art, invariably many of the fights wound up on the ground. At that point, the wrestlers dominated.

If I knew nothing beyond style, I'd put money on the wrestler every time.

GBockers 08-17-2006 07:38 AM

Doom answered Yumchah's question...

Royce Gracie MADE the UFC; he was more dominant than any other MMA-er for the longest time and Matt Hughes kicked his ass. The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tactics couldn't overcome Hughes strength and extraordinary leverage. Plus, Hughes can also strike so, while Gracie is one-dimensional.

Chuck Liddell is too heavy-handed and has granite in his jaw; only Randy Couture beat him and that was on the ground. You ain't going to knock Liddell out, and if you're not strong enough to get him on the ground and submit him....it's sleepy time for you.

It's great entertainment nontheless.

G

juniorbean 08-17-2006 08:59 AM

Thank you for responding to my comments regarding this matter. Usually they are overlooked and I appreciate the time you took to give me an answer. :thumbsup:

Not a problem :D

Nicky Pass 08-17-2006 09:06 AM

Chuck is a great wrestler...and more importantly...he was an awesome sprawl...and on top of that, IF you get him down, he gets right back up! Babalu is gonna be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay tougher then most people think! Hes gonna give Chuck a run for his money!

sipark 08-17-2006 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by GBockers
Chuck Liddell is too heavy-handed and has granite in his jaw; only Randy Couture beat him and that was on the ground.

Jeremy Horn choked him out several years ago. :shrug:
Quinton Jackson made him tap in one of the Pride events, too.

Mike 08-17-2006 10:55 AM

how long ago was that? he's matured as a fighter since then.

Nicky Pass 08-17-2006 12:18 PM

Horn put him to sleep at UFC 17 or 19...they had a rematch at UFC 54 and Liddell hit him so hard and so many times that Horn said he saw triple! Rampage kicked his ass in Pride....plain and simple!

Mike 08-17-2006 05:30 PM

this supercedes ufc, pride, k1 and is a great read

http://www.bjj.org/interviews/kimura/

RavinGAzN 08-21-2006 06:24 PM

Just read on the Pride FC website that none other than the "great" Mike Tyson will be fighting in Pride.

This is a quote from www. pridefc.com

"Later, a surprise announcement was made by Sakakibara, when he introduced special guest, former undisputed heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson. The boxing legend addressed the crowd saying that he will be participating in PRIDE sometime in the near future. Tyson also revealed his feelings about PRIDE saying that it is the best fighting organization in the world with the most talented fighters, and that he is happy to be a part of PRIDE."

CLPowersWife 08-21-2006 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by RavinGAzN
Just read on the Pride FC website that none other than the "great" Mike Tyson will be fighting in Pride.

"Later, a surprise announcement was made by Sakakibara, when he introduced special guest, former undisputed heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson. The boxing legend addressed the crowd saying that he will be participating in PRIDE sometime in the near future. Tyson also revealed his feelings about PRIDE saying that it is the best fighting organization in the world with the most talented fighters, and that he is happy to be a part of PRIDE."

Interesting, interesting. I foresee more frequent PRIDE viewership in my house as a result of this...

Is PRIDE an anything-goes sort of fighting organization? Or do they have rules?

CLpower 08-21-2006 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by RavinGAzN

strong rumors about tyson fighting in pride have been going around for some time now. There was a lot of talk about him fighting Bob Sapp

Agent 47 08-21-2006 06:49 PM

Has anyone mention that, as of this minute, Iceman vs Silva isn't happening anymore..?

Source: http://www.mmanews.com/article/158104773.php

*Scroll down to the very bottom*

This sucks.

AWESOME video to share with everyone here :thumbsup:

Click here

Doom878 08-21-2006 06:57 PM

Damn. Didn't know that Sanchez won. I'll read that later.

Doom878 08-21-2006 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Caliadria
Interesting, interesting. I foresee more frequent PRIDE viewership in my house as a result of this...

Is PRIDE an anything-goes sort of fighting organization? Or do they have rules?

I'm sure hubby could also explain this but I guess to break it down for everyone. Pride has similar rules to UFC. However Pride allows head stomps, knees to the head when the opponent is down, and other slight variations. Both leagues are refereed and are much more safe vs. the early days of UFC.

CLPowersWife 08-21-2006 07:08 PM

I'm sure hubby could also explain this but I guess to break it down for everyone. Pride has similar rules to UFC. However Pride allows head stomps, knees to the head when the opponent is down, and other slight variations. Both leagues are refereed and are much more safe vs. the early days of UFC.

Okay, that's pretty much what I thought, but thanks for the verification. :)

Do you think that Tyson will thrive in an environment with fewer rules than regular boxing, or will he wind up killing someone? :D

CLPowersWife 08-21-2006 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by SoCAL ACURA909
Has anyone mention that, as of this minute, Iceman vs Silva isn't happening anymore..?

Source: http://www.mmanews.com/article/158104773.php

*Scroll down to the very bottom*

This sucks.

AWESOME video to share with everyone here :thumbsup:

Click here

That really does suck, especially since the problem is the contract, not the fight itself. :whyme: That'd have been a good fight to see.

CLpower 08-21-2006 07:20 PM

pride doesn't allow elbowing :ghey:

CLpower 08-21-2006 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Caliadria
Okay, that's pretty much what I thought, but thanks for the verification. :)

Do you think that Tyson will thrive in an environment with fewer rules than regular boxing, or will he wind up killing someone? :D

Tyson will most likely get his ass kicked. I think he is a few years to late for this.

With that said, I don' think there is a single person in pride that could take a full clean blow from tyson. It's just going to be hard for him to land that clean shot IMO

I think he'll win his first few as they won't pin him against the best (plus they love Tyson in Japan and want his career in Pride to last some time). But once he gets up to the big heavyweights like CroCop and the Emelianenko brothers he is absolutely done with.

I think he could put up w/ Rampage Jackson and some of the others though.

Doom878 08-21-2006 07:26 PM

Most of the HW's in Pride can knock out another with a clean punch. I don't see Tyson getting off a clean shot though.

CLpower 08-21-2006 07:42 PM

I don't think any of them can punch as hard as tyson though

Mike 08-21-2006 08:21 PM

how many knockouts has tyson had in his last few fights? since 1995 he's only 6-6 and embarrassed himself in his last 2 fights.