Southeast Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina & Tennessee

Possibly moving to Nashville...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:19 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,097 Posts
Possibly moving to Nashville...

So it's very possible I'll be moving to the Nashville area with in the next 12 months, maybe even sooner depending on a potential job offer heading my wife's way. She's originally from Kentucky and I spent about 7 years of my childhood in Mississippi, so it was pretty enevitable we'd end up back in the south. I'll definitely miss Arizona especially in the winter, but we want to be closer to family and we both miss the fall time a lot.

Does anyone here live in the Nashville area and have any suggestions on cool neighborhoods or areas near Vanderbilt University? Any kind of hiking or mountain biking in that area? Is there any kind of music scene besides the country music on Broadway?

Also I'm due for tires very soon so I'm wondering if I should be looking at all seasons or would I be alright with summer tires? My MS6 is all wheel drive if it makes any kind of difference. I know it doesn't dump a lot of snow in the winter time so maybe the summer tires with AWD would be sufficient for the light snow the area gets a few times a year? What kind of tires do you guys run?

Any info would be a huge help! Would love to meet some TN AZine members sometime in the near future!

Thanks... Todd
Old 10-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Any TN members that can respond to Todd? Todd, isn't Arizona in the south?
Old 10-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,789 Likes on 2,555 Posts
Your now only 2hrs and 18min from a Taco Mac
Old 11-26-2011, 10:59 AM
riding low and steady

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
if you looking for areas around vanderbilt, west end is pretty much the vandy area. or if you dont mind some commute, brentwood or franklin area is nice also. Morning rush hour is 5:30 am to around 9am when it starts to die down and thats for I65 and I24 and 3pm to 6pm coming home. Nightlife, theres a ton of bars that have bands trying to make it with a mix of rock/pop/punk and hip hop, it just a matter of finding a good bar you like. i dont go downtown as much as i used to so i couldnt really tell you of most good bars, some close down new ones open up.

As far as tires go, id pick up a winter set they dont salt nearly as much as they need to or if any at all. Its not the roads here that you need to worry much about, its all the idiots who THINK they can drive in the snow. If your a good driver who can use common sense when it comes to bad weather you shouldnt have a problem driving here. Me coming from the north, being used to driving in snow and ice everyday in the winter was pretty scared to drive around here with other drivers on the road for awhile. Given that it dont snow much here its pretty crazy, an inch of snow would close down schools and businesses. damn i just saw the post date but ill post anyways for some good info hopefully other area members can chime. Looking forward to seeing you at a few meets. Meets around here are random at times, the biggest organized meets come in the summer time and fall which is Import Alliance. Anything else ill try my best to answer for you.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:05 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,097 Posts
^ Thanks for the info man!

We just filled out an application for an apartment in Bellevue. We were looking for a 3 month lease and this apartment complex was one of the few in the Nashville area that would do one. Once we get down there we'll be focusing on Franklin and Brentwood for buying a house. You were dead on! They both look like awesome places to raise children.

I ended up buying all season tires... Continental DWSs. They're supposed to be great in snow as well as dry and wet, so with the Speed6s all wheel drive I should be fine. I know there's nothing you can really do about ice so that's another story. Luckily I'll be keeping my job and working from home so there won't be any commuting for me, but my wife will be commuting to the Vanderbilt Medical Center, so I'll likely be driving her in on the stormy days.

Where in the north are you originally from? I spent the majority of my life in Connecticut, so snow in Tennessee compared to there will be easy. I actually really enjoyed driving in snow back in the day, I just didn't enjoy the freezing temperatures all winter long, so the south should be much easier to deal with than the north east.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:46 PM
riding low and steady

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
thats whats up man, im originally from minnesota, we got our fair share of snow lol. Totally agree with you on the freezing temps.

Im glad you were able to find something that worked, especially with a short lease like that dont find them too often.