Southeast Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina & Tennessee

North Caroline Aziners

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
North Caroline Aziners

Hey guys i just need some advice. I don't know who else to ask except for N. Caroline Residents.

My mom drove from NYC to GA in her Honda CRV and got a ticket in the state of Northa Carolina.
She was doing 94 in a 70. This is what she told me. She also said that the officer said he cannot give her a ticket because she was doing a high rate of speed and that she has to come back for court.

She is telling me this all this information on the phone while I am still trying to figure out N. Carolina laws.

Can she solve this problem without going back to N. Carolina?

Thanks in Advance
Old 11-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Backs the Pack

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
All I could find was from a limited Google search. I know in the past NC made a big deal of speeding tickets if it was 15+ over especially in the new 70 MPH zones.

http://www.speedingticketcentral.com...ng-ticket.html

A North Carolina speeding ticket in excess of 15mph over the speed limit will result in suspension of your ability to drive in North Carolina.
If you have an out of state license and commit an offense which is suspendible or revocable in North Carolina, the NC DMV cannot suspend you driver's license but can suspend or revoke your privilege to drive in North Carolina. They will also notify your home state which may take additional action. If you receive a notice from the NC DMV concerning suspending or revoking your driving privilege in North Carolina, you are entitled to a hearing if you follow the guidelines and procedures set out in the notice. Some offenses are suspendible without an opportunity for a DMV hearing. If that is the case, there is the possibility of obtaining a limited driving privilege through the court system.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_serv...spensions.html

Your driving privilege will be revoked for at least 30 days if you are convicted of:
driving any vehicle more than 15 mph over the speed limit, if you are driving at a speed higher than 55 mph.

The DMV can also suspend your license for the following:
A conviction for speeding over 75 mph.

In cases like the above, the DMV may suspend your driving privilege as soon as it receives the conviction report from the court. If your driving privilege is revoked, you may have the right to a hearing in the judicial district where you reside. To request a hearing, call or write to the DMV in Raleigh. You will be notified by mail of the time and place for the hearing. At the hearing you may state any facts that you think should entitle you to driving privileges or to a reduction of the suspension period.
If you believe your driving privilege should not have been taken and the hearing gives you no help, you may appeal the DMV's decision within thirty (30) days to the Superior Court of the county where you live. The court will review your case to see if there were proper grounds for taking your driving privilege.

----------------------

Looks like the infraction was bad enough (24 over + over 75 mph) that the state trooper/officer didn't think just a ticket was enough. She will probably get enough letters from traffic lawyers to last her awhile in the next upcoming days.

My advice: Call NCDMV's Customer Service Office 919-715-7000

Good luck!
Old 11-27-2009, 10:53 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
She needs to get a "Prayer for Judgement" or a reduction.

Bascially she wants the ticket to be written for 79 in a 70 (a reduciton to less than 10 over). That'll be about $160 fine ($50) plus costs ($110) (at least that's what it was a couple years ago). The reduciton has to be done via the DA or ADA, usually in court.

Prayer for Judgement is basically getting the ticket waived. You have to have a clean driving record for the past three years (iirc). Cost me a $100 to a local lawyer to make that happen. I think I was 74 in a 55.

In either case, I hope she has a clean driving record.

The couple of times I've gotten tickets, solicitations from lawyers started showing up like bulk mail a few days later.

My advice: take one of those, call the Lawyers office and see what they can do.

And tell your mom to slow down.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
sorry i cant help but damn!! 94mph in a 70 zone! your mom is a speed demon lol
Old 11-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts
If she hireds an attorney then she won't have to appear. Can you tell us what county it happened in?
Old 11-28-2009, 02:03 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

thanks guys...

she will be leaving 4am on sunday.....

i cannot believe she got to GA in 11hours...lmaooo
Old 12-08-2009, 07:12 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

do you guys know any GOOD attorneys?

the attorney is charging us 375?! WTF

we live in teh city and my attorney charged me 175 lol
Old 12-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Jim's info and advice is dead on.

The cost of the lawyer seems reasonable; I doubt you'll get it done for less than $300. As for a specific lawyer, honestly, just call all of the ones that send you a letter and go with the cheapest one. They only want your money, especially the counties in East Bumblefuck (which is where she was if she was on 95). And you definitely want a local attorney (ie. from the hick town where she was pulled). I can give you the name of one of the best defense attorneys in the state, but a big Charlotte lawyer won't do you much good in East Bumblefuck.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Backs the Pack

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I thought a PJC was only for NC residents? The whole 1 per 3 year period per household rule.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts
You used to get an Improper Equipment deal, that gave you no points for insurance and license, but from what I have heard, they have really cracked down on that.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chill_dog
Jim's info and advice is dead on.

The cost of the lawyer seems reasonable; I doubt you'll get it done for less than $300. As for a specific lawyer, honestly, just call all of the ones that send you a letter and go with the cheapest one. They only want your money, especially the counties in East Bumblefuck (which is where she was if she was on 95). And you definitely want a local attorney (ie. from the hick town where she was pulled). I can give you the name of one of the best defense attorneys in the state, but a big Charlotte lawyer won't do you much good in East Bumblefuck.
Contrary to your belief, the eastern region has a lot to offer the state of NC, including competent attorneys. Maybe a better way to say this would be that it doesn't take a big city, corporate attorney to handle a traffic ticket. I hate when people rag on the region where I was born and raised.

At any rate, tell your mom to get her speedometer recalibrated. Even if it's off just a few miles per hour, it will help with getting a reduction.