Three months in the TLX A-Spec (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhole99
In regards to the Tech in the vehicle, I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about. The A-Spec has Navigation, Backup Camera, Keyless entry and start, Heated and COOLED seats (not available on most other cars in class), Collision Mitigation Braking, Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keeping Assist, Blind Spot detection and Wireless charging. No other Entry-Mid Luxury vehicle offers ALL of this in one car that I am tracking.

Compared to the other entry/mid-level luxury cars it takes numerous upgrade packages to even come close to the Tech that the 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec has included. Also, you would be paying a minimum of $10K more for that vehicle. I have been shopping around for the best car in this class and looking to spend around $40K and no other brand compares. So far I've looked at the Audi A4,A5,A6, Mercedes C & E, Jaguar XE, and Infiniti Q50. While many of these cars outperform the TLX, the technology for the price can't compete. Also, I like the sporty look and am one of the few in here that doesn't need super performance anymore.
With that being said I think the magic price point for the TLX A-Spec FWD should be around $38K before taxes and fees. At that price, Acura would kill it with sales and blow away the competition.

Just my thoughts but would love to hear other opinions.

Opinion side:

The TLX is a good value car. The Accord with similar more tech is also a good value car. That said I don't think many people seriously looking at most of your list also looking at the TLX. There will be some overlap at the lower margins but not as you move further into the brands. A luxury something that is considered an indulgence rather than a necessity. Somebody actually buying a luxury brand at the margin are looking for the logo. That would eliminate the TLX from an image point of view even though the TLX is a much better value.

Personally if I only had low end (stripper) 320/330 money to spend I would be looking at the top of the line '18 Accord or the new Stinger. When I had to start ferrying my grand kids to school using the 2 door BMW convertible was a pain in the butt. I went out to add an Accord 4 door for that duty. Did not like the body when I saw it in person, went next door & got a TL because it was great looking car. Added benefit on the test drive was that it also was a nice runner. Historically, over time based on how much money I had to spend. I dropped back a level to get a fully featured car over a less featured "higher" version or label.

The luxury cars are never going to beat a TLX or Accord on "value".

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-09-2017 at 12:33 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
2012wagon (10-09-2017), Jhole99 (10-09-2017), kurtatx (10-29-2017), MTD (10-09-2017), wlkeel (10-10-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Opinion side:

The TLX is a good value car. The Accord with similar more tech is also a good value car. That said I don't think many people seriously looking at most of your list also looking at the TLX. There will be some overlap at the lower margins but not as you move further into the brands. A luxury something that is considered an indulgence rather than a necessity. Somebody actually buying a luxury brand at the margin are looking for the logo. That would eliminate the TLX from an image point of view even though the TLX is a much better value.

Personally if I only had low end (stripper) 320/330 money to spend I would be looking at the top of the line '18 Accord. When I had to start ferrying my grand kids to school using the 2 door BMW convertible was a pain in the butt. I went out to add an Accord 4 door for that duty. Did not like the body when I saw it in person, went next door & got a TL because it was great looking car. Added benefit on the test drive was that it also was a nice runner. Historically, over time based on how much money I had to spend. I dropped back a level to get a fully featured car over a less featured "higher" version or label.

The luxury cars are never going to beat a TLX or Accord on "value".
very well said as usual and I 100%
Agree.

Only thing I would add is the people who have 320i stripper money, usually don’t get the fully loaded accord, because the bmw subsidized leases are so cheap, that they would rather have a decontented bmw than an Accord with some features.

Locally they call these bmw and benz cla “the secretary or Filipino special,” with 200$ leases ....

Last edited by 2012wagon; 10-09-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Is the seat actually cooled or ventilated? My '09 Expedition seats are cooled (multi levels of chilled air into the seats regardless of cabin temperate) but the other cars are typically ventilated with ambient cabin air forced through the seats.
The TLX’s seats are cooled, with three temperature levels. They work completely independently or they can be set to work automatically depending on the HvAC temperature you’ve set. It works very well.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Locally we call these bmw and benz cla “the secretary or Filipino special,” with 200$ leases ....
Wow, this is what Acurazine has become.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Not sure if I am alone on this, but when I chose the V6 TLX Tech against a Lexus ES 350, which with incentives and all were in the same price range, I gave up a better sounding brand name not only for better techs but also for how much ever the "sportiness" the TLX had over the ES 350. Now, if one is looking for a "sporty sedan" for the price of a TLX, what are their options really? I know people are complaining that the TLX is not sporty enough, or much less sporty than the TL back in the days, but is it simply as "non-sporty" as an Accord? In other words, other than the differences of the price tags, are there any meaningful differences between a fully loaded Accord and a V6 TLX tech/advance/A-SPEC?
Old 10-09-2017, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by txl2017
Not sure if I am alone on this, but when I chose the V6 TLX Tech against a Lexus ES 350, which with incentives and all were in the same price range, I gave up a better sounding brand name not only for better techs but also for how much ever the "sportiness" the TLX had over the ES 350. Now, if one is looking for a "sporty sedan" for the price of a TLX, what are their options really? I know people are complaining that the TLX is not sporty enough, or much less sporty than the TL back in the days, but is it simply as "non-sporty" as an Accord? In other words, other than the differences of the price tags, are there any meaningful differences between a fully loaded Accord and a V6 TLX tech/advance/A-SPEC?
I don’t really understand why people rave about the 3G TL, actually. I had an ‘05 TL A-Spec, and it was incredibly mundane. It started rattling before it made it all the way home from the dealership. The paint was thin, the leather was cheap and it had real issues with off-the-line traction what with its FWD drivetrain. I got rid of it in less than 10 months. My current A-Spec is the best Acura vehicle I’ve owned since my last NSX. Still miss that car.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
The TLX’s seats are cooled, with three temperature levels. They work completely independently or they can be set to work automatically depending on the HvAC temperature you’ve set. It works very well.
That's a very nice +. In the south during the summer the ventilated seats are marginal while the cooled seats as you said work very well. Way to many cars are only ventilated, wish I had cooled ones in everything I drive in the summer.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow, this is what Acurazine has become.
Business as usual. I remember being told the reason I got a TL vs a TL-S type was because I could not afford to step up. Was not uncommon for the Type-S guys to look down their quad pipes at the rest of us in the "BASE" model.

As for the car itself I enjoyed it. 6MT summer tires LSD, Brembo brakes & a very good sound system. I think some of us comparing the TL to the TLX do it in context with its time & place in history. It could run with or out run most of its contemporaries. I found that the torque steer was only objectionable if you fed in to much throttle from a standing start while making a 90* corner turn. Off the line with attention to the clutch you could get out quickly without the wiggles. Was fairly good in its time at the drag strip but only did one track day with it so there's not much to comment about it other then its was competent but not a threat to anyone's laps times

Had no issues with the graphite paint & it was good as new when I sold it despite my lack of obsession on keeping it clean . I would hope 12 years later that the build quality would improve as computer assembly line systems have improved improved. I think some of the nostalgia is centered around the TL being right there when compared to the TLX's envelope. The issue for the TLX is that TL envelope among the best of its peers is long out of date & surpassed but every one that the TL could physically compete against in the past.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Sporty is a dangerous word. Really depends on how you define it in an automobile. Are you looking for a "sporty" car or a "Sports Sedan/Coupe"? Its very easy to get two widely different definitions. There are lots of older women driving around in an Avalon Convertible with a wing on the trunk thinking they are just sporty as hell.

Was a time when a sport car was a two seat British roadster that leaked in the ran & killed its batteries. Then the marketing guys got hold of the word & it was game on for Sport & Sporty to mean anything you wanted to mean. Something like all the 4 door coupes that are available as sporty cars now.

So at the end of the day for $40/$45K there are any number of cars pitching the "sporty" label including BMW/MB etc. That excludes the Camaro/Mustang because they are not family oriented. To get a "Sports Sedan/Coupe" that has performance to match the advertising I think you are looking over $50K out of pocket & the evil tier one cars.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-09-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:26 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Frankly, if TLX had a better reliability history, I pay the $40.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by slimm1469
Frankly, if TLX had a better reliability history, I pay the $40.
2016+ TLX reliability is great... no idea why people loves living in 2015.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
There are lots of older women driving around in an Avalon Convertible with a wing on the trunk thinking they are just sporty as hell.

link to the Avalon convertible ?
Old 10-20-2017, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

link to the Avalon convertible ?
Old 10-20-2017, 09:54 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Ha, i was thinking Solara when you said that. . .
Old 10-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Ha, i was thinking Solara when you said that. . .
Yeah my bad. Was thinking Avalon, Solara & Lexus ES 300 are all on the same chassis.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
a-spec review after 2 months

Well, I have had the A-spec AWD for two months now with about 2500 miles so can also give a review.

The good:
Ventilated seats are great.
Styling is very sporty (had many compliments and some even asked what type of car it was).
Still have not seen another A-Spec on the road and only one 18 non S-spec at this point (which I like)
The SH-AWD is really much better than my type S handling wise.
The ride is a way bigger upgrade in all respects to the 2017 V6 TLX I had.
Being able to use Waze app on the screen is fantasic.

Other for those that own one:
After washing the tail lights drip down water for a good hour. Maybe just mine but always have to wipe it up again to keep it nice.
No return to the dealer for any issues, problem free.
Love the wheels and they definitely improve the handling over the prior TLX by a long shot.

What's not so great:
The trans still is a weak point, you get used to it but my wifes 2017 RDX is way more responsive and feels like the A-Spec should be like (then again the RDX is one of the faster SUVs out there)
Button shifter-Just total crap. Many times I have to pull the toggle up to reverse twice as the first time it is to fast for the car. Would rather have the lever and know when its put in reverse it's in reverse. Also if you back up with the door not completely shut it will not go into drive and nearly got me nailed).
Stereo- totally sub par for the price of the car.
Engine shut off on stop- this sucks totally. No setting to turn it off so every time you drive you have to turn it off manually. Maybe great for some but having it shut the engine down at a stop sign is annoying and there should be a way to set that preference (maybe a firmware upgrade or maybe they do it to enhance the MPG rating).
Android auto is very clunkly and even toggling around the screen the highlight color is does not standout well.

IndIfernce
The SHAWD mpg is not close to the FWD variant but the ride and handling offsets it.

Overall
I like the car but miss a lot of the performance of the type S. The trans is so indecisive in many situations. I tend to drive more on the performance side so I notice it a lot. Overall way better than the non A-spec variants but with a few changes it could be much more. Even without the Brembo package of the type S the braking is very good.

Last edited by jhb31; 10-26-2017 at 07:25 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jhb31:
cyberizer (10-27-2017), quantum7 (10-27-2017), wlkeel (11-01-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
Overall
I like the car but miss a lot of the performance of the type S. The trans is so indecisive in many situations. I tend to drive more on the performance side so I notice it a lot. Overall way better than the non A-spec variants but with a few changes it could be much more. Even without the Brembo package of the type S the braking is very good.
Nice summary. I like the revised styling of the A-spec and some of the other upgrades.....just waiting for Acura to up the performance a touch and swap out the transmission. Hope some changes come next spring but afraid that I will need to buy before they do.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Overall
I like the car but miss a lot of the performance of the type S. The trans is so indecisive in many situations.
Take an habit of just driving it in S or M modes as I do. In those modes, it is NOT indecisive.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
Take an habit of just driving it in S or M modes as I do. In those modes, it is NOT indecisive.

I only drive in Sport mode and the trans is still no where close to the 17 RDX in any way whatsoever. S+ mode is more of a novelty as it would drive you crazy to leave it in that mode all the time. Somewhere in between those modes is probably the sweet spot. Frankly if they had the RDX trans in it the car would be about right. Having 4 modes but not one perfect mode is a downer.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:21 PM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts
I only drive in Sport mode and the trans is still no where close to the 17 RDX in any way whatsoever. S+ mode is more of a novelty as it would drive you crazy to leave it in that mode all the time. Somewhere in between those modes is probably the sweet spot. Frankly if they had the RDX trans in it the car would be about right. Having 4 modes but not one perfect mode is a downer.
Totally agree. The 6-speed used in the RDX has a very low first gear and it moves quickly off the line. I'd love to have that transmission in the TLX.
The following users liked this post:
Christopher. (12-18-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Somehow, I feel the sliigjt delay or hesitation in acceleration is related to the way the throttle-by-wire responds more than the transmission. The throttle never likes the one huge heavy step down to the bottom approach. It would make a lot of noise but wouldn't really pick up quickly. I have found that it actually picks up faster from the still when I do a couple of quick lighter taps on the gas pedal before pressing down firmly (but never heavy foot it to the bottom). As a matter of fact, I am getting into the habit of lifting my foot up a little and applying such a tap whenever I feel the accelerator is getting heavy (for example at the speed over 70 or when I need to move from steady following to catching up). It seems the throttle needs a signal to know whether you want to pick up or just moving steadily). It's a little countr intuitive, and for those who are used to driving turbo charged cars in particular, the learning curve can be steep. Give it a try. Hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Somehow, I feel the sliigjt delay or hesitation in acceleration is related to the way the throttle-by-wire responds more than the transmission. The throttle never likes the one huge heavy step down to the bottom approach.
Think you nailed it. The Acura throttle by wire has been slow reacting going back to the 3G TL. Felt like near a half second to get the message to the engine. Had a BMW 330ZHP at the time along with the TL, both had 6MT's & throttle by wire. For me the ideal setup would have been the BMW Throttle & Clutch with the TL 6MT. Interesting to see they still have not solved the throttle delay problem.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:50 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,926 Likes on 14,464 Posts
The delay valve in the 6MT 3G was horrible too...
I took up the slack in the drive by wire and it helped...

the lag is worse in the Caddy V though.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
The seats are not cooled. The fan has three speed settings, but there is no active cooling. They work 'ok' but not to the level of actual cooled seats.

" Ventilation works by drawing air into the seats through tiny perforations in the leather. "
Old 11-04-2017, 03:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The seats are not cooled. The fan has three speed settings, but there is no active cooling. They work 'ok' but not to the level of actual cooled seats.

" Ventilation works by drawing air into the seats through tiny perforations in the leather. "
Was wondering about that. I know the seats on my Expedition are actually cooled, its a 2009 Limited & thought that feature was a pretty rare item. The heated/cooled seats have independent thermo-electric units in each seat, capable of generating warm and cold air on their own. Works like those igloo food cooler boxes.

Really a great feature in the south that none of my other cars have.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man

If the seats are not cooled, then why is there an auto setting for the seats? I do know the seat fan adjusts to the cabin fan speed. I was told by the salesman (of course) that they are cooled seats so now I feel like I was mislead.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:12 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by freakerdude
If the seats are not cooled, then why is there an auto setting for the seats? I do know the seat fan adjusts to the cabin fan speed. I was told by the salesman (of course) that they are cooled seats so now I feel like I was mislead.
That's why Acura says "ventilated seats" and not cooled seats. I wouldn't be surprised that a salesman confused the two.
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by freakerdude
I expect its a pretty common thing for salesman to let slip by or just plain not tell the truth about. Why confuse a customer when he is selling himself. My antenna when up on the word "cooled" because I have not really seem anything but ventilate seats on regular priced cars. In a number of broad product range cars you generally see ventilated seats till you get into their upper level product lines. Still vented is way better then not vented.

The technology is not lifted from a crashed alien flying saucer in Area 51 but it would add a few dollars in cost over just fans. A few dollars here & a few dollars there on 50,000 cars a year can add up pretty quickly over the products life span.

Acura Spec Sheet for Advance Package.
6-Level Heated and Ventilated Front Seats
Old 11-24-2017, 11:06 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I have had my A-Spec now just over 3 1/2 months. I hit 3000 miles earlier this week. Still enjoying the car. I rotate it for daily duty with my CTS-V wagon and on nice Thursdays/Fridays, my NSX. Here are a few random comments about the experience so far.

Fuel economy is 22-23 mpg per tank in my mixed driving of 60% city, 40% highway, and heavy throttle foot. I am gettin, on average, around 300 miles a tank. I filled up today at 336.8 miles, a record. On freeway runs from my house into downtown Cleveland, which is a 300-foot drop in elevation over 18 miles, I can achieve as much as 34 mpg for the trip. Travelling the other way to my home, the highway fuel economy drops to as little as 26 mpg. Overall, I am more satisfied with the fuel economy in the TLX than in my previous RLX Sport Hybrid--I never once had a single tank that was even close to the EPA guidance. I'll revisit the fuel economy when the Cleveland area makes a change to winter blend fuel in about three weeks. That drops fuel economy as much as 25% for me. My car is an outside car, so I may invest in an engine block heater. We'll see how it goes before I spend the cash on that.

Interior: My favorite features are the steering wheel and the adjustable thigh support. The steering wheel is nice and beefy right at 3 and 9 o'clock, with a comfortable thumb rest. This makes the wheel very comfortable to hold even though I have large hands with long fingers. The thigh support is still useful for me because I have long thighs. Very comfortable for intermediate trips (no long road trips yet). Soft touch materials are wherever you actually touch/interact with the car. Hard touch plastics are where you don't (i.e. lower doors, kick panels, sides of center console. In the RLX, no hard touch plastics. I love the headrests still--they are nicely shaped so your head fits into them, rather than merely resting on them.

Infotainment: I almost exclusively use CarPlay. However, I regularly get an error:
"A charting error has occurred with the connected device. When safe, please check the copatability of the device and USB cable. Please see your owner's manual for more details."

I started getting this error after I switched to an aftermarket, ultra-short USB-lightning cable. The only way to correct the error is to shut down the car, then restart (i.e., reboot the car). I suspect the best thing to do is to stick to Apple-made, or Apple-blessed, USB cables. Has anyone else with a 2018 TLX noticed this?

Carplay is super-easy to use with the Acura jogwheel. I no longer use the onboard Acura system or navigation, though it is an option, should you choose to use it. I'm glad Acura gives you the choice.

Home screen is navigable with the jogwheel, and if you turn it far enough to the left in any screen, you reach the home button, which returns you to the Home Screen.

Music app is where I spend most of my time. As you can see, the words and icons are large enough to see easily. If you select the name of the artist, in blue, then press the jogwheel button, you pull up the album from which the song came, and you can select to play the album. This is the case even in shuffle mode. Select the double arrows, then press the jogwheel button once, and you get the previous or next song. Hold the jogwheel button after selecting the double arrows, and you fast forward or backward. Super-easy!

Maps: With CarPlay, only Apple Maps can be used. Booooo!. It's better than the Acura navi system, though, and it does point out accidents on the highway well enough. Google Maps is better, and Waze is the best.

When you turn the jogwheel, you get a menu at the top of the Maps screen:

You turn the jogwheel to select current location/centering map (arrow), 3D format, destinations from your phone, moving the map (the four-arrow icon), and zoom in/out (+/-).

Phone app is easy to use as well....I guess I'll post a full tutorial at some point. I just wanted to give an idea of how easy the apps are to use.

Siri Eyes Free is freaking amazing. Just say "hey Siri" and you can do a wide variety of commands ("call home", "send message", etc). If you receive a text, the car reads it to you and you can respond easily by voice, then the system verbally confirms your request, you say "send", and it goes off to the recipient.

In short, navi system is AWESOME. Best ever with CarPlay. I'm sure the Android Auto implementation is similarly awesome, but I don't have an Android device to test on.

Split screen is fine, I've become adjusted to it as I've used it now since 2014. I understand that Honda/Acura have integrated multiple ways to do the same function even in its native system to allow for many types of users.

No rear power outlets still, in a 2018 car. This is a BIG problem when I am driving my child, on road trips, and if I am entertaining business guests who most recharge their devices.

Driving experience: EXCELLENT acceleration. It's not RLX Sport-Hybrid fast, and I miss the low-end torque of the Sport Hybrid. I have never lacked for passing power, however.

EXCELLENT handling with the mechanical SH-AWD. It's similar to my old RL. if you feel understeer in a turn, just press the accelerator and the car becomes neutral. It's so fun to drive in the turns.

Driver's aids are awesome, and they work smoother in the TLX A-Spec than in the RLX Sport Hybrid, but then again, the difference in the system from MY 2014 and 2018 are to be expected.

I discussed the transmission in another thread. I'll just copy here: The manual upshifts are slow in any IDS mode other than Sport+. In Sport+, you have to plan about 100-200 rpm before your planned shift. It's really not that bad at all in that mode. With the others, it's more like 500-700 rpm, but in the other modes, there is no desire for manual shifting. I drive in Sport mode most of the time and the only time I notice slow automatic shifting is if I'm accelerating, then have to let off the gas halfway through the gear. The transmission takes a couple seconds to realize my foot's off the gas, then it upshifts. That is slow. Overall, I'm actually reasonably satisfied with the performance of the transmission and I think the car's gotten used to my (very) heavy throttle foot.

No mechanical issues so far. The car hasn't been back to the dealer at all.

HTH!
Thanks for the update on the TLX.

I had a TLX Tech SHAWD loaner for a day recently.

A few observations:

1. The vehicle interior is too small for me. I am 6' 4" 200+ lbs. With the front seat all the way back, I had to work my way around the B pillar to get in and out.

2. The '18 TLX transmission is much better than the '15 trans. No clunking when shifting.

3. There was a constant exhaust drone starting at about 40mph. I am not sure if this was an actual noise or a synthetic noise, but it was annoying.

4. The seats were too firm. This may be something for the sports buff, but not for me.

5. The stop-start feature begs to be eliminated.

6. Good mpg for an awd vehicle. I averaged 26.

7. I kept try to rest my right hand on the missing shift lever. Bring it back !
Old 11-24-2017, 05:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts

Locally they call these bmw and benz cla “the secretary or Filipino special,” with 200$ leases ....
man, this guy... what an a-hole
Old 11-24-2017, 06:19 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fryrice
Nope, you're not the only one that can't view the pics. I am at home and I can't see the pics either. Tried it on my phone same issue.
I can't see them either, using Chrome and Windows 10.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Anyone know where neuronbob is? Haven't seen him on here in quite a while. Hope he's okay.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:40 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
So, "competitive" models of "sporty" sedans start at $50K+ and with Acura having trouble with sales you can get V6 TLXes for ~$37K (Either "Tech" or "SH-AWD", if you want both, or the A-Spec, then you're headed back up north of $40K...) About right?

If you don't strongly want the luxury of a quieter car (than the Acura, compared to Accord) and are willing to give up a bunch of features, then the 2018 Accord Sport 6MT seems like a tough to beat combination of value + fun in a "sporty" but also "family" sedan.

Acura could come out with a competition killer if they managed to pull this off: change to a 3.0T engine and stop up charging for "A-Spec" - make an Acura that actually deserves to be called a "sports sedan" that can be had at just under the $40K price point with a 6MT transmission. A "base" Acura still has a LOT of features the Accord Sport is missing, and the magazine reviewers (and others) have commented on how relatively loud the road noise is in the Accord. Acura claims to be a "performance" brand, well Acura, you've got to show us that you can get a leg up over your Accord 2.0T brothers or you're not living up to that claim.

Meanwhile, every time I look at my 2018 TLX I'll smile at how beautiful it is (beautiful, elegant, not overstated, but just enough flair to elevate it over an Accord's aesthetics tastefully). Ever time I sit it it, Ill appreciate the firm comfort of it's leather seats (firm seats are more comfortable on long drives, at least for the driver). Every time I want power, and I press down on the gas, I'll smile at the more than competent ~300 HP and the lovely sound of the engine. When I drive my wife and kids around in it, they are riding in comfort - sure, a little stiffer ride could be a little more fun when I'm on my own on some country lane, but I use it every day to transport family).

Like so many others have been saying, however, this car NEEDS a "Custom" dynamic mode shoved in between "Sport" and "Sport+" - let use remove the throttle lag and choose whether or not we want the revs held as high as Sport+ does, but keep the transmission responsive and shifting as fast as possible when we pull those paddles.