Dead tl type s

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:14 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Dead tl type s

Ok, I'm freaking clueless as to how this happened. 07 type auto, 148k. It's a full bolt on tl except hondata, and 3.7 manifold. I bought the car back in 2010 63k. Used nothing but synthetic oil every 5k. Did timing belt at 110k. I never adjusted the valves. Shop that did the work said it didn't need. No ticks noises nothing so I didn't bother. Honestly just been sitting in garage most of last year and this year, been using my ford truck and 350z.
Started it one Sunday went got few things for breakfast, came back put in garage. Few hours later was going to go to brother house. Fired up and noticed I slight miss. Started pulling out of garage and check engine light started blinking. Decided not to drive and check later. Ran codes cyl 1-2-3 miss fire and random misfire. Fired up again few hours later and engine was making a bad rattle noise shut off. I knew there was something serious wrong but didn't mess with and had towed to a shop. When st the shop he said there was oil coming out of aem intake. Pulled valve cover and found that cyl 1 valves where pretty loose. He adjusted to spec, before putting back together he checked everything again and pulled out a plug and found it bent. He put his camera in and said looked like piston was damaged but wouldn't know for sure until he removed head. Once he did this was carnage. Neither he or I have a clue what happened. All other cyl are good, checked compression. So I need a new(used) engine. tls engines are out there mostly with similar miles to mine now. I see the RL engine is a j35a8 same tl but how much different is it, can it even be used in the tl? I've read about using RL cams in tl due to higher lift, but what else is different between these two engines. I'm going to get it back and running just want to know what all options I have. Block is no good if u see pic looks cracked. Please advise I wanna get this car back and running asap!
Attached Thumbnails Dead tl type s-img_0514.jpg   Dead tl type s-img_0513.jpg  
Old 04-19-2017, 10:37 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Damn that sux! Sorry to hear about that. This is a wild guess, but it looks like a cylinder wall & gasket failure. I noticed theres a crack on the cylinder wall & looks like theres some hazing on the head from the gasket where it & trouble sealing.

Or hence, the crack on the cylinder wall was the effect of the gasket

Last edited by Duronn; 04-19-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 AM
Advanced

Can anyone tell me the diff in 3.5 motors? I'm looking to get a used replacement, finding quite a few RL 3.5, and one 3.5 from 09+ TL. That one has lowest miles. I know it's rated at 280 but what else is the diff AND would these engines just drop in plug play?
Old 04-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 87 Posts
OP maybe you can message this guy on Instagram. He did an RL swap into his 6MT Type S a while back. He hasn't had any issue for the past 9-10 months.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm curious too about swapping my 3.2L to the 3.5L. I want to do that since my current engine has 186k on it and I love my TL. I also thought those motors need valve adjustments every once in a while, I had mine adjusted. My end goal is to get a 3.5L engine with 6speed manual, install 3.7L intake manifold and throttle body as well as exhaust. Into my 05 automatic TL. Any tips?
Old 04-22-2017, 10:54 AM
Advanced

Dammit that's what I needed to know but oh well, I found an engine 120k got it down to 1200, plus 195 shipping. Same from an 07 TLS. I was reading about cam swap from the RL with the extra lift making it more powerful but in the low midrange area. After been driving around my 350z DE I love the low and midrange of that motor, only thing the TL lacked
, the top end however is quite a bit better o the Acura especially with the mods. I did put in an MDX SPACER and wow it really woke up the low and midrange BUT it made the engien vibrate quite a bit more, I removed to confirm and yea, way smoother but quite noticeable diff in low end power with out. I'm still mind blown away and baffled with what happened with my engine now? Unless it had a crack the block to begin with and got worse. No clue all the mechanics here are confused as well