what transmission do i have and what oil is best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,666 Likes on 6,687 Posts
Did you click the link...

Joining a forum is one thing, but if you are unable to take constructive criticism and others advice, it's futile..
Old 03-16-2017, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the other issue with installing a used trans from any car is that there is no guarantee that it will be good, and even if the sellers refund ones money or give them another trans if the first one is bad, they won't pay for the mechanic to swap it again.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Did you click the link...

Joining a forum is one thing, but if you are unable to take constructive criticism and others advice, it's futile..
which link are you referring to?

i may have missed it amongst all the posts that were useless which is another reason that people should only post tech info in a tech section.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

To answer your question, there is a solenoid. https://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-p...-solenoid-scat

#10/11
ok, i went back through all the posts and found your link which i thank you for, however, i figured that out when i went to the dealer yesterday to get the 3rd gear pressure switch.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator

The one in the last post you quoted.. it's a literal FAQ "Frequently Asked Questions" post that had everything you need regarding the swap.

All your concerns are valid IF AND ONLY IF this Were a 10 years back and no one attempted this swap. But it's been done again and again with amazing results and people still drive their cars till this day.

Like I mentioned before, have some humility, take a breath, take a step back and look at the actual suggestions given and think about why we are suggesting it. If you think you are too smart to even take said suggestions , then why bother ask the question?
Old 03-16-2017, 03:41 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally Posted by barnett468
lol, i never said anyone was wrong . you obviously have very poor reading comprehension skills . i appreciate all comments that were technical . do not read.add any words into peoples posts that are not there and do not make assumptions and do not be an a hole and things will be far better . be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
Of course you didn't... That's what I said, everyone ELSE is wrong except you! Duh, how could you be wrong? You're so smart and educated, thanks for giving us some guidance about our transmissions. We haven't learned anything over the past 15 years on this forum, thank goodness you came along.
By the way, can you give me some tips about how to improve my poor reading comprehension skills? I'd love to improve my education so I can be a mechanic for 50 years like you.

On a more serious note, the reason you're getting some flak is because this isn't a big subforum. There's essentially a small community left, and your lack of humility is unbeffiting of a newcomer. If it wasn't for thoiboi and Skirmich, you wouldn't have even gotten a response. And yet, you've insulted them both.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:59 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
This will be my final input on this Thread.
Its basic mechanics 101... Clutch Packs cannot be restored once they are wore down.. Not all the ATF changes in the world and new solenoids can recover the missing clutch material.. IF you cannot understand this you clearly lack the basic knowledge on our SPECIFIC Transmission issues.

I will again EXPLAIN to YOU what is wrong with our transmission, If after this you are still on the same boat then you are clearly lost and cannot be helped.
Back in 1999 Honda was trying to develop a 5 Speed transmission to compete with other brands.. Since Honda was in a time constraint they developed the 5 Speed transmission using the 4 Speed Transmission casing to save time on the R&D. The end result was a marvelous transmission that worked alright and saved MPGs and 0 to 60 Times.. Then in 2002-2003 a lot of 2000 owners started to experience issues with Slippage and sudden Slams in to Gear (RING ANY BELLS), Acura released a TSB and a Recall for a completely different issue which was starvation of oil to the main transmission shaft that ended up in abrupt shaft shattering failure.. This caused at least 5 reported deaths.
BUT the issue that a lot of 2000 owners and now 2001 owners were having with faulty transmissions was still not addressed until 2004 were almost HALF of the Sold TLs were having problems with the transmission but GUESS WHAT? Honda did not only use that new and fancy 5 speed design on the TL, Nope it also shipped it on the CL, ACCORD, ODYSSEY, PILOT and MDX! and what do you know? They were ALL experiencing transmission failures.

Borg & Warner did a complete study of the B7WA (Different Code names were given to different cars, they were all based on the same design).
B&W found out that in order to add a new forward acceleration gear Honda had to move the 3rd gear clutch pack outside of the Transmission main case, To what we now know as the secondary casing.
The problem was that the 4 speed design didn´t have this area contemplated and the ATF Oil Passages were not ENOUGH to send oil to this new area to completely cover the 3rd gear clutch pack of fresh cooled down Oil.
The end result was a 3rd gear clutch pack that worked a lot more hot than all other gear clutch packages, This caused accelerated premature wear and eventual failure of the 3rd gear clutch pack.. Hondamatics need all clutch packages to be functional in order to keep the Main Shaft spinning.. So even if you were in 4th or 5th gear the 3rd gear clutch pack was engaged.. When 3rd gear starts to fail you will have sudden and completely random downshifts from 5th and 4th to 2nd gear!! REGARDLESS of the speed you are traveling... Again this caused several injuries and death.. The debris from the clutch packages flowed to the transmission and clogged the most susceptible solenoid that has the smallest filtering screen: The TC Locking Solenoid which will throw a now Infamous P0740 (TC Lock Failure) this has been the best giveaway that the trans is on its way out, as normal wear debris gets cleaned by the ATF Filter but and excess of debris will clog it and the bypass will be open on it making all the crap flow through the transmission.. Honda and Acura had to issue a worldwide recall to all cars having the Vanilla 5 Speed Auto.

Honda and Acura came up with a clever solution to the shattering main gear shaft to what we know as the OIL JET KIT, This used the outside lines of the Transmission ATF Filter and re-routed ATF to pour it on top of the main shaft stopping the shattering main shaft issue once and for all.. The Worldwide Recall made Honda and Acura REPLACE MILLIONS of Transmissions to what we know as THE BLUE BOLT TRANS or the Band Aid transmission.. This Trans not only equipped the Oil Jet kit inside but it also made a few changes to cool down the 3rd gear clutch pack.. This helped the trans to go further before failing again but yet again IT FAILED again anyway. A lot of people were unhappy, letdown by Acura and Honda and started moving on with the cars.. This hit the TL with a HUGE Depreciation tag.. This is what made the TL so dirt inexpensive because by no means is a 3K car even today. The transmission issues destroyed its reputation.

Jumping to +2010s.. I don´t recall who was the first guy to came up with the AV6 Trans that is something I don´t know but some threads started popping up.. By 2012 they were at least 5 confirmed and successful AV6 Swaps reported in this Forum (YEAH we were the first ones in all the internet to report this swap). What made the AV6 Swap so special? Well firstly it used a VASTLY newer redesigned transmission that was supposedly rid of the 3rd gear starvation problem.. by 2010 the AV6 trans were at least 4 and 3 years old and there were no issues reported online about being a total piece of crap like ours were in the first years. This gave us hope and the fact that is was completely PLUG & PLAY to our J32 so completely hassle free and probably make our nightmares disappear. So I pulled the trigger and bought a mind Uninstalled from the car AV6 2007 with 78K for less than 600 bucks in 2013..

My TL-S decides to die NOV 2015.. I went grabbed the AV6 from my Parents house in L.A. with my by the time brand new MDX..
Name:  IMG_0237_zpskviiwsxo.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  230.7 KB

My TL-S becomes a swapped AV6 Success story in FEB 2016.. 1 Year Later and its has been the best thing that I did for my TL-S.

If after all this you keep denying the fact that MILLION of these transmissions suffered from what you are experiencing and that an insane amount of people has come and gone from this forum with your same problems? Well Again we cant do anything for you.. All of what I wrote is PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE and a stop at GOOGLE with give you all the same information.

This is it, My last input... Take Care and God Speed.

Last edited by Skirmich; 03-16-2017 at 04:08 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Skirmich:
cu2wagon (03-21-2017), frankjnjr (03-18-2017), mastini (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 12:53 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Thanks for the entertaining thread barnett468, things can get a little dull around here lately.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
" trans sqp"

should be

"trans swap"
Do the "Stop n Go" to clean the TC. Here's the link...

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ission-943471/

And/or replace the following solenoids (Answer to your question)...

1. Control solenoid C
2. Pressure control solenoid A/B.
3. 3rd grear pressure switch (problems shifting 2-3/3-2 gears).
4. 4th gear pressure switch (problems shifting 3-4/4-3 gears).
Old 03-17-2017, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01acls
Do the "Stop n Go" to clean the TC. Here's the link...

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ission-943471/

And/or replace the following solenoids (Answer to your question)...

1. Control solenoid C
2. Pressure control solenoid A/B.
3. 3rd grear pressure switch (problems shifting 2-3/3-2 gears).
4. 4th gear pressure switch (problems shifting 3-4/4-3 gears).
thank you very much for your help . it is greatly appreciated.

i replaced the pressure switch . after the car sat another day, 2 to 3 is far better . no spin up at 2/3rd throttle . didn't try full throttle . i am under no illusion that it is weak even though it works fine now at 2/3rd throttle . i am going to baby it and hope it makes it 3 months . i will probably try 3rd gear solenoid anyway also since i think it is only around $65.00 but i need to figure out how to get to it . looks like the starter needs to come out.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Thanks for the entertaining thread barnett468, things can get a little dull around here lately.
lol, no prob . people need to have a sense of humor.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Skirmich
If after all this you keep denying the fact that MILLION of these transmissions suffered from what you are experiencing and that an insane amount of people has come and gone from this forum with your same problems? Well Again we cant do anything for you.
lol, yet another person that didn't get past 3rd grade english . For around the 5th time, I am not denying anything, and you and other peoples feeble attempts to try and make it look like I am are hilarious . I suggest you have a 5th grader read and then explain my posts to you.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Karanx7
You're so smart and educated, thanks for giving us some guidance about our transmissions.
You are very welcome!

We haven't learned anything over the past 15 years on this forum...
That is obvious.

...thank goodness you came along.
Don't forget to thank God as well.!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:40 PM
Intermediate

My completely "DEAD" pos useless transmission just went another day and another 100 miles0

Old 03-18-2017, 01:15 AM
Drifting

installed new tcc servo . center screen was completely plugged . only issue now is that if I get on it hard it will take around 3 seconds to fully engage 3rd at which point it goes into gear moderately hard but no longer slams into third causing the tires to chirp.

car is completely driveable now but if there is a way to improve 3rd gear engagement I will try that.
The Pressure Control Solenoid C has a screen that you should also check for clogging and be sure to change the external trans filter. Don't confuse this with the Shift Control Solenoid C, two separate solenoids.

3x3 is not enough you need to do the 100% atf exchange/Stop n Go.

Last edited by 01acls; 03-18-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:45 PM
Unregistered Member

You are very welcome!
That is obvious.
Don't forget to thank God as well.!
Any chance you could get around to giving me that advice I asked for? I really aspire to one day have your level of intelligence and charisma. The way you instantly made friends with everyone on the forum is amazing. Also my dream of success is to be a mechanic for 50 years like you, how did you accomplish such a feat?
Old 03-18-2017, 04:36 PM
Intermediate

The Pressure Control Solenoid C has a screen that you should also check for clogging and be sure to change the external trans filter. Don't confuse this with the Shift Control Solenoid C, two separate solenoids.

3x3 is not enough you need to do the 100% atf exchange/Stop n Go.
ok, thanks again for the help . i did see that filter in the parts fiche and im guessing it is got at least some debris and i do want to clean it but im guessing the starter has to be removed to get to that one as well as the 3rd gear solenoid.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

I really aspire to one day have your level of intelligence and charisma.
Well if at first one does not succeed...try, try, again!

[QUOTE=Karanx7;15982216]The way you instantly made friends with everyone on the forum is amazing.

...but what is even far more amazing is that very few of you can post useful info that is direct and to the point and accurate like 01acls has for which I am grateful.

Also my dream of success is to be a mechanic for 50 years like you, how did you accomplish such a feat?
Try some 1st grade math or 1st grade level logic/reasoning . If I have been a mechanic for 50 years, I must have started 50 years ago...duh!
Old 03-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Mod hat on: Alright guys enough... Start acting your respective ages.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Unregistered Member

Try some 1st grade math or 1st grade level logic/reasoning . If I have been a mechanic for 50 years, I must have started 50 years ago...duh!
Ahh you were an accomplished mechanic at 11 years old, got it. That explains your incredible success on this forum.

Mod hat on: Alright guys enough... Start acting your respective ages.
Okay fine...
Old 03-18-2017, 07:23 PM
Drifting

ok, thanks again for the help . i did see that filter in the parts fiche and im guessing it is got at least some debris and i do want to clean it but im guessing the starter has to be removed to get to that one as well as the 3rd gear solenoid.

#6. Pressure A/B

#7 Pressure C

#11 Shift C

#13. Pressure switch 3rd gear

#12. Pressure switch 4th gear

#4 & 8 serviceable screens/filters (Not external trans filter)

Last edited by 01acls; 03-18-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:35 PM
Intermediate

#6. Pressure A/B

#7 Pressure C

#11 Shift C

#13. Pressure switch 3rd gear

#12. Pressure switch 4th gear

#4 & 8 serviceable screens/filters (Not external trans filter)
Thanks again for the info.

10 and 11 on the front of the trans are the 3rd ad 4th gear solenoids from what the parts guy said, unfortunately he did not know which was for 3rd and which was for 4th so I might have to ask their service guys to find out.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:15 AM
Drifting

NO, THE PARTS GUY IS WRONG.

#11 Shift C solenoid
#10 Shift A solenoid

You can confirm my 3/4 gear pressure switch locations by looking for the 3/4 gear numbers casted into the trans housing near the 3/4 gear solenoids.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Intermediate

NO, THE PARTS GUY IS WRONG.

#11 Shift C solenoid
#10 Shift A solenoid

You can confirm my 3/4 gear pressure switch locations by looking for the 3/4 gear numbers casted into the trans housing near the 3/4 gear solenoids.
As I mentioned, I am referring to the 3rd and 4th gear solenoids, not the pressure switches . 10. and 11 are called solenoids as you mentioned but the letters C and D do not explain what gear they are for since gears have numbers like 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 etc, not a b, c, d, e and f etc, therefore I still need to know which solenoid is for 3rd and which one is for 4th . As I also mentioned, I already replaced 3rd gear pressure switch.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:24 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Wow, you are a real piece of work man. Go download the service manual, it explains how the tranny works. There is not a solenoid for each gear. I would post a summary here but honestly you are taking a big dump on the carpet here and it's not worth it.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:39 PM
Drifting

As I mentioned, I am referring to the 3rd and 4th gear solenoids, not the pressure switches . 10. and 11 are called solenoids as you mentioned but the letters C and D do not explain what gear they are for since gears have numbers like 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 etc, not a b, c, d, e and f etc, therefore I still need to know which solenoid is for 3rd and which one is for 4th . As I also mentioned, I already replaced 3rd gear pressure switch.
Both Shift A and C are for almost all gears.

A controls initial engagement of gears as selected by the shifter from part or neutral.

C controls shifting between gears after initial engagement from park or neutral.

Last edited by 01acls; 03-19-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
service manual
Old 03-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Drifting

OP, your solution is in my initial Post #49. Everything listed there is for your 3rd gear issues. As posted in #49 is in order of importance, from top to bottom.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Intermediate

Both Shift A and C are for almost all gears.

A controls initial engagement of gears as selected by the shifter from part or neutral.

C controls shifting between gears after initial engagement from park or neutral.

xlnt, thanks for the detailed info and for your time.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Iggy
xlnt, thanks for the link.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Wow, you are a real piece of work man. Go download the service manual, it explains how the tranny works. There is not a solenoid for each gear. I would post a summary here but honestly you are taking a big dump on the carpet here and it's not worth it.
ummm, stupor greg...you're an idiot.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

Ok, I haven't had a chance to clean the filter on the lower solenoids or change the other lower ones, however, I just put 2 qts of redline racing oil in with the valvoline synthetic maxlife dexron mercon and got it up to temp then crossed my fingers and floored it from a dead stop on a moderate uphill grade and the shift from 2nd to 3rd is now nearly imperceptible from the shift from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th, and there is NO spin up between any gears, therefore, my totally dead pos tranny miraculously works xlnt now and may work even better after I address the other items.

Again, I have no illusions of grandeur thinking the trans is now as good as new and will go another 50,000 miles or so before it does grenade, but as of tonight, it ran for another day and around another 100 miles.

Sure glad I didn't listen to everyone here, but being a mechanic, I know better than to believe everything the self appointed (or is that self anointed) "experts" on an internet forum tell others . I feel sorry for others whom know far less than I and blindly believe what some people say.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sure glad I didn't listen to everyone here, but being a mechanic, I know better than to believe everything the self appointed (or is that self anointed) "experts" on an internet forum tell others . I feel sorry for others whom know far less than I and blindly believe what some people say.
I hear ya man. I've put all kinds of different flavors into my trans and it runs just fine. Try some grape jelly - stops slippage for sure. It's pretty obvious you're just trolling here so I'm hoping I'm the last idiot to respond to your posts. Hope you got your rocks off on this one. Peace.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tripleguy
I hear ya man. I've put all kinds of different flavors into my trans and it runs just fine. Try some grape jelly - stops slippage for sure. It's pretty obvious you're just trolling here so I'm hoping I'm the last idiot to respond to your posts. Hope you got your rocks off on this one. Peace.
lol, its pretty obvious that you are an idiot too . trans works fine now just like i said . not every trans that has a problem is automatically junk but you obviously lack the intelligence to understand that so go troll somewhere else.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Seems like a simple example of people talking past each other.

OP asked a question in post 1 about what oil is best.

He got the answer in post 2.

Then another person expanded on the original post by explaining what was wrong and would happen with the tranny.

OP (although erroneously indicating that his slipping tranny wasn't slipping) then went on to describe how he only wanted to make the car last day to day and isn't interested in actually fixing it for long term.

Other posters have more of a long term outlook for their, and similar, cars and pointed out that it's basically on borrowed time before a big failure.

OP disagrees.

But both parties are right.

OP will be able to limp along day-to-day, adding goop and scraping filters or whatever, until the tranny craps the bed for good.

Other folks would prefer to prepare for, and fix, the big problem before it happens.

And both are okay. You all are just talking past each other and not interested in the tact taken by the other.

And that's okay.

But could we at least try to be civil about it?
Old 03-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Intermediate

As is obvious, not everyone has the same goals and/or the same financial ability to repair their car . Also, for the umpteenth time, I never disagreed that the trans is weak, I disagreed that it is completely dead . It's simply mind boggling that some of you continue to "say" that I did which is one of the problems . It's really quite simple, if it was completely dead it would no longer propel the car . If it needed an immediate rebuild, it would no longer propel the car . If your wife or child has a terminal illness but is still getting around half way decently, do you automatically bury them or disown them etc?

Another problem is that some people here simply make posts that not only have zero info that is specific to the topic but are also sometimes rude and abrasive . Anyone with an IQ greater than that of a rock can easily see that my replies to posts are dictated by their tone and content . People that post useful information in a courteous manner as some here have, get a courteous reply . People that make useless or grossly inaccurate and/or abrasive comments, may get a less than courteous reply . If people follow one of the simple following rules, life would be much easier and better for them: "Don't start nothin and there won't be nothin.', or as I posted earlier, "Be part of the solution, not part of the problem." or "Never assume.", or "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.".

As far as the trans "limping along" goes, it shifts fine now, and if anyone else drove it they would think the same . Again, I realize that it may not shift fine tomorrow or next week or next year etc, however, I couldn't care less how it shifts as long as it keeps getting me where I need to go before it grenades completely, and every day it does is one day more I save on a rental car, the math is incredibly simple.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dear barnett468, i'm sorry to bother your Highness, but if, and only if, it won't take too much of your time - could you be so kind and post daily updates for us?
We promise, on other hand, not to bother you anymore.
That's all we ask, your Majesty.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Ok, I haven't had a chance to clean the filter on the lower solenoids or change the other lower ones, however, I just put 2 qts of redline racing oil in with the valvoline synthetic maxlife dexron mercon and got it up to temp then crossed my fingers .
Curious why did you opt for Valvoline oil as opposed to ATF DW1 from Honda?
Old 03-21-2017, 01:31 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
"Curious why did you opt for Valvoline oil as opposed to ATF DW1 from Honda?"
​​​​​​​Especiallly when that was answered in post #2. I suppose it works for him and that's really all that matters. I know I wouldn't put my wife or kid in that car alone but that too is not going to be a concern. Hopefully it doesn't crap out far from home or a tow and a cab can add up. Otherwise, this thread is caught up in symantics. Tranny dead to some means soon to fail, guaranteed. Tranny dead to others means car doesn't move and as long as it does, it's not dead. Long way to go to make a point. Then of course there are things like tone, civility, arrogance and other things that enter in and muddy the waters.

Last edited by tripleguy; 03-21-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by mastini
Dear barnett468, i'm sorry to bother your Highness, but if, and only if, it won't take too much of your time - could you be so kind and post daily updates for us?
We promise, on other hand, not to bother you anymore.
That's all we ask, your Majesty.
How dare you ask of his greatness for a request. He has gone out of his way to give us all life advice on how to be successful like him. You should learn your place, heed his blessed teachings, and pray to him that one day you will have an IQ greater than a rock. Remember his first commandment, "Don't start nothin and there won't be nothin." Follow his rules, and life will be easier and better for you!

I love how he acts like he is owed something. He comes here asking us for help, treats people rudely while insulting them, and is shocked to see that we ridicule him. When I need a favor, I usually have a little more modesty.

Barnett468, don't forget that your contribution to this forum is completely zero. Your first ever post was asking for help, and the rest after have been insults. You have never helped anyone here, and I doubt you ever will. Actually, I take that back. At least you're good for some entertainment =]