TLX: Sept sales numbers

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
If people bought it and keep it they are happy with it by definition (unless they get disappointed with time like Keith for example)....in their perspective they took the best option within their budgets.
Wow, you listed one person, so many. I can think of a handful of others on this forum who have gotten rid of their TLX and it's all because of the 9spd tranny. I don't blame them, but I haven't heard of any other reasons for getting rid of it. Almost all TLX owners on this forum are very happy with their car. Just because you keep a car doesn't mean you're happy with it, I couldn't stand to drive my TLX before its transmission got replaced. But I didn't get rid of it because it wouldn't have been financially smart to do so. Leave the TLX alone and also this forum. Shoo shoo, troll!
Old 10-06-2016, 12:53 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by atl7
Yep, about once a month this comes up- forum is flooded saying how the TLX sucks and is so lacking and everything out there is better than it.
It's not that the TLX sucks. I still think it's a good car and a move in the right direction, albeit a bit late. The issue is that the TLX should have been better than what it is considering all the choices out there. Competition is stronger. Acura didn't bring its A game with this car... or with their other sedans. Might as well change company name to Ccura because they're still just average.

Most everyone bashing it doesn't own one. I know multiple people with TLXs and they all love them.
Why would people who don't like the TLX buy one? Do you buy things you don't like?

At the end of the day, I'm very happy with my car and that's what matters...
Exactly.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
It's not that the TLX sucks. I still think it's a good car and a move in the right direction, albeit a bit late. The issue is that the TLX should have been better than what it is considering all the choices out there. Competition is stronger. Acura didn't bring its A game with this car... or with their other sedans. Might as well change company name to Ccura because they're still just average.
I agree with Acura being able to give a better product. TLX is definitely lacking, I still like mine but it could be better in so many ways. We've seen what Honda did with the Civic, they could help the TLX too. And lol Ccura, I like that. I think the MDX (aside from it's ok infotainment) is still an awesome SUV for what you pay for.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Wow, you listed one person, so many. I can think of a handful of others on this forum who have gotten rid of their TLX and it's all because of the 9spd tranny. I don't blame them, but I haven't heard of any other reasons for getting rid of it. Almost all TLX owners on this forum are very happy with their car. Just because you keep a car doesn't mean you're happy with it, I couldn't stand to drive my TLX before its transmission got replaced. But I didn't get rid of it because it wouldn't have been financially smart to do so. Leave the TLX alone and also this forum. Shoo shoo, troll!
Actually, your icon is pretty good.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
That is bad.....if they drop the ball on the SUVs as well (the only bright spot in Acura land at the moment) they are finished.

Incidentally, few days ago a 3G owner I know decided to pull the trigger on the new Lincoln MKZ 3.0 Twin Turbo...I asked him if he considered the TLX....basically he replied "are you kidding me??"
Most stupid non-argument of the day.

For you information, kid-racer wannabe, cars won comparos despite being the least poweful. Case in evidence, E46 184HP in Car&Driver that won out of 5 IIRC, even over the G35 of then, 100HP more.

I have nothing against the MKZ, you are a fool if you think that it is better than a TLX, just because of more HP. More HP is not necessarely what the car needed most

Not impressed with the Q50 either. At least, it looks much better than the previous G, so ugly (like the atrocious TL gen 4). Its interior is bad, its infotainment is worse than the TLX, it is thirsty and the value proposition can get to the nutty level. And that 2.0T version is a joke; it does virtually nothing better than the TLX 2.4. Finally the Infiniti has many turds in its model lines, certainly has no lesson to give to Acura.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
She just has started looking at other cars and seeing the better interiors and infotainment. As for me i knew most what I was getting in to, but once you live that the tranny and the infotainment you realize there are better options. I leaned my TLX strictly because I wanted SH-AWD and do not regret that part. I also knew I would be changing jobs and was not sure where or what salary so I down graded. Also I am getting better positioned for retirement in 9 years. I figure one more 3 year lease of something and then a buy maybe Q70 or Genesis G80 Sport, CT6, to own for 6 or more years. Acura is not on any of my lists unless the 6G is just huge leaps forward.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KeithL
. I figure one more 3 year lease of something and then a buy maybe Q70 or Genesis G80 Sport, CT6, to own for 6 or more years. Acura is not on any of my lists
unless the 6G is just huge leaps forward.
All in a different class than the TLX.

The TLX must have been damn good to let you go that 2014 A6 and only consider an higher class vehicle to replace it.

When you'll run numbers, chances are that you'll be in another Acura again... My SH-AWD 36 mo lease is considerably less than competition's offering and doesn't sacrifice much.

As for infotainment, gimme Apple Carplay / Android Audio

Last edited by Saintor; 10-06-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor

For you information, kid-racer wannabe, cars won comparos despite being the least poweful. Case in evidence, E46 184HP in Car&Driver that won out of 5 IIRC, even over the G35 of then, 100HP more.

I have nothing against the MKZ, you are a fool if you think that it is better than a TLX, just because of more HP. More HP is not necessarely what the car needed most

Not impressed with the Q50 either. At least, it looks much better than the previous G, so ugly (like the atrocious TL gen 4). Its interior is bad, its infotainment is worse than the TLX, it is thirsty and the value proposition can get to the nutty level. And that 2.0T version is a joke; it does virtually nothing better than the TLX 2.4. Finally the Infiniti has many turds in its model lines, certainly has no lesson to give to Acura.

Listen up pal, or I should better say kid, we did not break bread together so keep your insults for yourself ok?? Did I make myself clear?? I hope so...so please avoid replying to my post with your usual nonsense.
How old are you?? 16?? Someone does not like your car...big deal...grow up..just keep your rabid language for yourself and the ones of your ilk.

Is not the lack of power the weak point of the TLX but, again, talking to you is useless because you have no capability of comprehension....please do me a favor and ignore me I like to deal with adults and people that can keep a decent language.

The TLX must have been damn good to let you go that 2014 A6 and only consider an higher class vehicle to replace it.

Keith was very clear, he took the TLX to reduce its car buying budget...unfortunately for him, with predictable results....he thought Acura could pull another stunt like the 4G TL and making a car capable to punch above its price tag....not so much this time.....

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-06-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:13 PM
Banned

Listen up pal, or I should better say kid, we did not break bread together so keep your insults for yourself ok?? Did I make myself clear?? I hope so...so please avoid replying to my post with your usual nonsense.
How old are you?? 16?? Someone does not like your car...big deal...grow up..just keep your rabid language for yourself and the ones of your ilk.

Is not the lack of power the weak point of the TLX but, again, talking to you is useless because you have no capability of comprehension....please do me a favor and ignore me I like to deal with adults and people that can keep a decent language.

Keith was very clear, he took the TLX to reduce its car buying budget...unfortunately for him, with predictable results....he thought Acura could pull another stunt like the 4G TL and making a car capable to punch above its price tag....not so much this time.....
Come on kid-racer. You are playing that little virgin now? Too bad. You can't just come here trolling big time and not expecting somebody addressing your insane issues. Now go back in your Datsun and redneck worlds, where power prevail. You'll be pleased in Chrysler world too. All kitsch material as well.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (10-07-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 11:24 PM
Banned

Keith

The Q70 is just too decrepit, frankly I have no idea why Infiniti still keep it around, it has not been updated in ages and the residual value must be horrific...The G80 is sharp (I drove the Genesis and I was rather impressed) but not very sporty.
What about a twin turbo CTS?? You can get some serious discount on these and they are fantastic rides.
You want to stay at the smallish side of the midsize like the IS, A4, Q50 or C Class or go a bit bigger like our 4G, 5 Series, Genesis, CTS, etc...?? Is AWD a must for you??

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-06-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:28 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow. Acura sales are in a freefall. We really loved our Legend, first GEN MDX, RL and TSX. What used to stand for performance and reliability seems to be no more, and I'm not sure what cards they have left unless there is a serious turnaround. What I don't appreciate as a prior fan is being lied to. I see the commercials (performance!) and then I look at the reviews and the numbers, and there seems to be a huge disconnect between what Acura is trying to portray, and what they really are. Really sad to see what has happened to what was once a really great brand.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Banned

What used to stand for performance
I don't think that, out of NSX, it was ever about performance. BTW, first gen MDX / second gen TL had serious transmission issues too.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
i don't even know what are all these answers lol!

Have fun...

Clearly some people don't work.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Instructor

I don't think that, out of NSX, it was ever about performance. BTW, first gen MDX / second gen TL had serious transmission issues too.
I always felt if you wanted a sporty luxury car, you were kind of left with BMW and Acura. At least back in the day.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
The 3G was the top preforming car in its segment in both sales & vehicle dynamics.
TacoBello (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
The 3G was the top preforming car in its segment in both sales & vehicle dynamics.
Frankly the TL 2004 was only 10HP more than a G35 of that era. Hardly different, IMO and the original G was always RWD.

As for reliability. Acura transmission problems were MUCH worse 15 years ago. They lasted 3-4 years and it didn't prevent Acura to thrive. While the TLX's 9-sp.'s bad year is only 2015 really. Somehow unfair.

Last edited by Saintor; 10-07-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts

Your complaint about the Q50 sound like 3 years ago. The new Q50 have none of those issues with the interior or infotainment. The base model yes has shitty interiors just like all cars but that's not the case with the upper Tier Q50/60. Not to mention Acura has nothing in their lineup that can even hang with a Q50S, let alone with Red Sport Version. They are even gearing up to make a performance line which will compete with the M and AMG cars.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Frankly the TL 2004 was only 10HP more than a G35 of that era. Hardly different, IMO and the original G was always RWD.

As for reliability. Acura transmission problems were MUCH worse 15 years ago. They lasted 3-4 years and it didn't prevent Acura to thrive. While the TLX's 9-sp.'s bad year is only 2015 really. Somehow unfair.
Its obvious from a number of years of your posts you are at best a spec racer & do not understand that advertised HP ratings vs what the cars actually generate have nothing in common. The 3G easily outran the G35. Never lost to one in the entire time I had a 3G 6MT.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kense
Your complaint about the Q50 sound like 3 years ago. The new Q50 have none of those issues with the interior or infotainment. The base model yes has shitty interiors just like all cars but that's not the case with the upper Tier Q50/60. Not to mention Acura has nothing in their lineup that can even hang with a Q50S, let alone with Red Sport Version. They are even gearing up to make a performance line which will compete with the M and AMG cars.

That's an angle. The same as this. Didn't change much really.

Nissan/Infiniti aren't as bad they used to be, but the Q50 interior is still a deal breaker for me. As for infotainment, you are plain wrong. Many complaints of being slow... not that an infotainment system would a deal breaker to me, though...

Last edited by Saintor; 10-07-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:03 PM
Banned

Its obvious from a number of years of your posts you are at best a spec racer & do not understand that advertised HP ratings vs what the cars actually generate have nothing in common. The 3G easily outran the G35. Never lost to one in the entire time I had a 3G 6MT.
I claim to understand it better than you, nothing less.

BTW you are wrong.

https://www.0-60specs.com/infiniti-g35-0-60-times/
https://www.0-60specs.com/acura-tl-0-60-times/
Old 10-07-2016, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I am confident that the TLS sales will improve with the MMC and especially, if they change the drivetrain. There is no question that Acura had transmission problems back the days but these problem would only surface a few years after ownership so when you took one home, it was fun to drive until it would breakdown. The problem with this tranny is that it maybe reliable in the long term (as far as a mechanical point of view) but it does take away from the driving experience, for many anyway, right off the hop.

That is my opinion of course....Now I am still crossing my fingers for a sexy TLX at MMC or FMC.....I will be back folks. The g/f just got rid of her ILX because she didn't drive it in the rain (like me) and we were left with 2 sunny cars and one daily driver so we ditched the ILX and got a second little city car for convenience. It is the first I have not had an Acura in my driveway since 2005.....
Old 10-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

All in a different class than the TLX.

When you'll run numbers, chances are that you'll be in another Acura again... My SH-AWD 36 mo lease is considerably less than competition's offering and doesn't sacrifice much.

As for infotainment, gimme Apple Carplay / Android Audio

it was a budget move and the TLX was only thing that had an AWD I wanted in that range. The new A4 was not out yet, in all likelihood if the A4 had been out or I finite had a AWD Q50S loaded i would have been in one of them.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Keith

The Q70 is just too decrepit, frankly I have no idea why Infiniti still keep it around, it has not been updated in ages and the residual value must be horrific...The G80 is sharp (I drove the Genesis and I was rather impressed) but not very sporty.
What about a twin turbo CTS?? You can get some serious discount on these and they are fantastic rides.
You want to stay at the smallish side of the midsize like the IS, A4, Q50 or C Class or go a bit bigger like our 4G, 5 Series, Genesis, CTS, etc...?? Is AWD a must for you??
i agree with current Q70 but it is do for a FMC in the next few years. Look at the G80 Sport, not yet released in US, but I have to believe it will come here soon and it will be more than just bolt on body panels.

Twin turbo CTS, maybe we will have to see. I do prefer the larger cars. Real full time AWD is a high requirement. The Genesis when in sport mode runs the AWD system just like Audi Quattro. I will likely avoid the Germans because the second car after next lease will be a long term buy and the cost of ownership and lower reliability of the Germans makes it less likely, although I did love my A6. My M37S was a nice car as I had it in its first year, so if a refreshed Q70S has a lot of what is in Q50 then I can easily go back to Infiniti.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kense

Why wasting your time replying to this guy?? Clearly he has no idea what he's talking about, no automotive knowledge, he speaks out of his behind, he is just a kid that get offended if someone criticize his car...I simply ignore him.

Current Q50 is pretty much identical to 3 years ago (except the engines obviously) which is good for resale value, the initial issue of the slow infotainment system has been largely resolved with 2 system updates (the new Q50 infotainment system it's just just a hair faster to boot compared to the updated old one) and there was a service recall to update the DAS system to current software settings.

If the base Q50 has shitty interiors the TLX cabin is pure garbage in comparison.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KeithL
i agree with current Q70 but it is do for a FMC in the next few years. Look at the G80 Sport, not yet released in US, but I have to believe it will come here soon and it will be more than just bolt on body panels.

Twin turbo CTS, maybe we will have to see. I do prefer the larger cars. Real full time AWD is a high requirement. The Genesis when in sport mode runs the AWD system just like Audi Quattro. I will likely avoid the Germans because the second car after next lease will be a long term buy and the cost of ownership and lower reliability of the Germans makes it less likely, although I did love my A6. My M37S was a nice car as I had it in its first year, so if a refreshed Q70S has a lot of what is in Q50 then I can easily go back to Infiniti.

Keith you said that you got the TLX because of the SH-AWD...however you may find this lengthy technical article quite interesting, especially if you are mechanically inclined...it is a detailed description of all the different types of SH-AWD used by Acura since its introduction in 2005.....the TLX SH-AWD is not the same system used on our 4G....quite different ....and quite cheapened...it did become more similar to an Haldex system

Link:

"ACURA SH-AWD: A COMPREHENSIVE ANALYSIS"

http://blogs.youwheel.com/2015/03/31...sive-analysis/

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-07-2016 at 08:29 PM.
TacoBello (10-08-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 08:27 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by ctwickman
Wow. Acura sales are in a freefall. We really loved our Legend, first GEN MDX, RL and TSX. What used to stand for performance and reliability seems to be no more, and I'm not sure what cards they have left unless there is a serious turnaround. What I don't appreciate as a prior fan is being lied to. I see the commercials (performance!) and then I look at the reviews and the numbers, and there seems to be a huge disconnect between what Acura is trying to portray, and what they really are. Really sad to see what has happened to what was once a really great brand.
Here's a link to September sales for mid-sized luxury cars: click --> Small And Midsize Luxury Car Sales In America - September 2016 YTD - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

As you can see there is no need for a serious turnaround as the TLX, even in a down month, outsold the vast majority of the competition.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Suzuka Master

I claim to understand it better than you, nothing less.

BTW you are wrong.

https://www.0-60specs.com/infiniti-g35-0-60-times/
https://www.0-60specs.com/acura-tl-0-60-times/
If you won't take the word of someone who actually raced a nice running stock TL how about the spec racers bible where the TL won 0-60, 1/4 mile & 60-0.
C&D 7 car comparison test 2004

"Acura was clearly planning to take no prisoners with the latest TL, and that was immediately apparent at the drag strip, where the TL ripped off a 0-to-60-mph mark of just 5.8 seconds--a half-second quicker than the potent Infiniti G35 could manage with its 3.5-liter V-6, and more than a second quicker than the best of the rest. At the drag strip it (G-35) ran a close second to the seriously quick Acura TL, in braking as well as in acceleration."

BTW in later testing they got the 6MT version down to 5.2 to 60. Although the TL won most of the objective measurable categories it came in 3rd in the comparo behind the G35 & BMW325

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-07-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:59 AM
Banned

....quite different ....and quite cheapened...it did become more similar to an Haldex system
Still trolling I guess.

The newest SH-AWD is much superior of the previous one just in the fact that it features torque vectoring in the back, transferring the torque from a side to another. I have played extensively on ice with it; it never happen that the front wheel are slipping at the detriment of the rear wheels. The AWD is fully un-obstructive and miracle of electronics makes it behave like a RWD.

To get this torque vectoring feature on the A4/S4 a few years ago, you needed the $2500 Audi Drive Select option. Now standard on the 2017.

And finally Haldex is largely used in offerings such as Golf R; nobody complains.

Last edited by Saintor; 10-08-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:06 AM
Banned

If you won't take the word of someone who actually raced a nice running stock TL how about the spec racers bible where the TL won 0-60, 1/4 mile & 60-0.

"Acura was clearly planning to take no prisoners with the latest TL, and that was immediately apparent at the drag strip, where the TL ripped off a 0-to-60-mph mark of just 5.8 seconds--a half-second quicker than the potent Infiniti G35 could manage with its 3.5-liter V-6, and more than a second quicker than the best of the rest. At the drag strip it (G-35) ran a close second to the seriously quick Acura TL, in braking as well as in acceleration."

BTW in later testing they got the 6MT version down to 5.2 to 60. Although the TL won most of the objective measurable categories it came in 3rd in the comparo behind the G35 & BMW325
5.2s is in your wet dreams,

In that comparo, the G35 matched the TL 1/4 mile (14.9 vs 14.8) and was quicker in 0-100 0-120, not mentioning 30-50 and 50-70 an top speed. Yeah I had that magazine.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts

Are you comparing sedan to sedan? The sedans were available in two versions: 260hp/260ftlbs and 280hp/270ftlbs. The difference being the optional sport package I believe.

Also, are you comparing 6mt to 6mt? Or 6mt to 5at? Again, big difference.

Just looking at 2004 coupe/sedan specs for the G35 with the sport package:

Granted though, the G35 coupe and sedan will suffer higher drive train losses, due to being RWD vs the FWD TL. The drive shaft kills more power.

Last edited by TacoBello; 10-08-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:23 PM
Suzuka Master

5.2s is in your wet dreams,

In that comparo, the G35 matched the TL 1/4 mile (14.9 vs 14.8) and was quicker in 0-100 0-120, not mentioning 30-50 and 50-70 an top speed. Yeah I had that magazine.
TL was quicker 0-60, 1/4 mile & 5-60 by .5 which is the best measure of street performance. Since you want to call 14.9 vs 14.8 equal then the TL is equal to the G37 in the 0-100 @ 14.9 to 14.8.

Point is the G35 lost the races to the TL that are the standard performance measures used by people talking about cars. As for top speed it would be interesting to find a road long enough for them to actually get there.

BTW I remember how slavish you were to the dead on accuracy of EPA fuel numbers from an old debate that involved the Mustang. Its interesting to note that on the 600 mile C&D test loop that not one car in the 9 tested came anywhere near the EPA projections. In fact none even made it a far as the EPA city estimates. Guess not being an American have more faith in the EPA then the people actually stuck living with it everyday.
That said if you still like the EPA numbers the TL wins again both city & highway. tT also wins on the C&D 600 mile loop.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-08-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Here's a link to September sales for mid-sized luxury cars: click --> Small And Midsize Luxury Car Sales In America - September 2016 YTD - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

As you can see there is no need for a serious turnaround as the TLX, even in a down month, outsold the vast majority of the competition.
I checked your link:

3series 7,432 -18.7%
Cclass 6,600 -13.8%
ES 4,543 -12.6%
Q50 4,359 +22.5%
A4 3,457 +39.3%
TLX 2,908 -38.8%
IS 2,678 -15.0%

Last edited by ctwickman; 10-08-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:17 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Keith you said that you got the TLX because of the SH-AWD...however you may find this lengthy technical article quite interesting, especially if you are mechanically inclined...it is a detailed description of all the different types of SH-AWD used by Acura since its introduction in 2005.....the TLX SH-AWD is not the same system used on our 4G....quite different ....and quite cheapened...it did become more similar to an Haldex system

Link:

"ACURA SH-AWD: A COMPREHENSIVE ANALYSIS"

Acura SH-AWD: A Comprehensive Analysis (Updated Jan.8, 2016) - YouWheel.com - Car News and Review
Interesting ! , Thanks Saturno_v , now I can explain myself why the TLX doesn't feel so "pushy" in the corner as the TL . On the TL was very obvious , but at least for me, the TLX is more subdues , barely feel that push in the corner and I was wondering if my TLX SH-AWD is really working.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
TL was quicker 0-60, 1/4 mile & 5-60 by .5 which is the best measure of street performance. Since you want to call 14.9 vs 14.8 equal then the TL is equal to the G37 in the 0-100 @ 14.9 to 14.8.

Point is the G35 lost the races to the TL that are the standard performance measures used by people talking about cars. As for top speed it would be interesting to find a road long enough for them to actually get there.

BTW I remember how slavish you were to the dead on accuracy of EPA fuel numbers from an old debate that involved the Mustang. Its interesting to note that on the 600 mile C&D test loop that not one car in the 9 tested came anywhere near the EPA projections. In fact none even made it a far as the EPA city estimates. Guess not being an American have more faith in the EPA then the people actually stuck living with it everyday.
That said if you still like the EPA numbers the TL wins again both city & highway. tT also wins on the C&D 600 mile loop.
I agree with you- EPA numbers are a bunch of horseshit. They look at ideal driving conditions, relying on unrealistic driving habits. As soon as you start pushing the throttle even slightly more, those numbers don't mean shit. Better make sure the car is also driving downhill with a tail wind pushing it also.

Cars with forced induction are even more likely to have higher numbers than what the EPA claims. But to be honest, I've never been one to really care about EPA numbers or fuel economy. I mean, to a degree, yes. But I'm not about to lose sleep because my car gets 2mpg worse fuel economy than some other competitor. Who cares?
Old 10-08-2016, 01:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Funny stuff SAINTOR. When I looked up some stuff found this. Your telling someone on the BMW forum why your E90 was better "feeling" than a TL while using data from a E46. The E46, according to the BMW purists, makes the E90 handing seem very crappy in comparison.

[quote-saintor]It is mainly a matter of feel. The E90 just feels better at handling, although not like day and night.
Here is an old comparo (E46 and TL).
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=7785

[/quote]

Maybe you can pitch in here. Not sure since you quote at lot of SHAWD stuff vs the Audi's base AWD, did I read that Honda downgraded? the 4G SHAWD to the HONDA Pilot system make the 5G more cost friendly?

I think I read its now a hydraulically driven system identical functionally to the FORD GKN system used in the Focus. Does that also apply to the Haldex system in the base Audi's you were knocking. Again functionally the same thing.

HONDA IIRC is running the differential branded as I-VTM4 on the PILOT but is rebranding it to SH-AWD for the Acura lineup. Does the RLX still have the old system with the addon Acceleration Device to reduce wear & heat or is it using the new system?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-08-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Are you comparing sedan to sedan? The sedans were available in two versions: 260hp/260ftlbs and 280hp/270ftlbs. The difference being the optional sport package I believe.
Granted though, the G35 coupe and sedan will suffer higher drive train losses, due to being RWD vs the FWD TL. The drive shaft kills more power.
Base V6 Sedan vs Sedan, 270HP vs 260HP, 6MT vs 6MT. Think if you step up to the next level G-35 you would need to use the TL-S for the compare.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Momyc
Interesting ! , Thanks Saturno_v , now I can explain myself why the TLX doesn't feel so "pushy" in the corner as the TL . On the TL was very obvious , but at least for me, the TLX is more subdues , barely feel that push in the corner and I was wondering if my TLX SH-AWD is really working.

You are welcome...the new SH-AWD is hydraulically actuated and it lost its planetary gear setup (one per wheel)...as a matter of fact is a simpler, downgraded version.

SH-AWD on the TL

SH-AWD on the TLX

Your impressions are correct, it does feel different when you drive it....the new SH-AWD is just a glorified Haldex system (or a glorified Honda VTM-4) with two clutch pack (one per wheel) to implement active torque vectoring. Does not necessarily means is all bad but definitely it is a cheaper system.

The conclusion from that article:

In a summary:

1. The “old” SH-AWD can be thought as working with a similar principle as other AWD vehicles who are using planetary gear center differential + multi-plate clutch as limited slip; their difference is just the layout and also the limited-slip ratio settings.

2. The new SH-AWD and the GKN Twinster (used on the 2016 Ford Focus RS) are intrinsically the same.

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-08-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:18 PM
Banned

Funny stuff SAINTOR. When I looked up some stuff found this. Your telling someone on the BMW forum why your E90 was better "feeling" than a TL while using data from a E46. The E46, according to the BMW purists, makes the E90 handing seem very crappy in comparison.

Maybe you can pitch in here. Not sure since you quote at lot of SHAWD stuff vs the Audi's base AWD, did I read that Honda downgraded? the 4G SHAWD to the HONDA Pilot system make the 5G more cost friendly?

I think I read its now a hydraulically driven system identical functionally to the FORD GKN system used in the Focus. Does that also apply to the Haldex system in the base Audi's you were knocking. Again functionally the same thing.

HONDA IIRC is running the differential branded as I-VTM4 on the PILOT but is rebranding it to SH-AWD for the Acura lineup. Does the RLX still have the old system with the addon Acceleration Device to reduce wear & heat or is it using the new system?

Yep....the new SH-AWD is simply a glorified Haldex system (one clutch pack per wheel)....not that I expect our "expert" to understand anything is written in that technical article....
Old 10-08-2016, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
numbers or fuel economy. I mean, to a degree, yes. But I'm not about to lose sleep because my car gets 2mpg worse fuel economy than some other competitor. Who cares?
Same here. When I got the 435 tracked the mileage on the way home from the BMW performance driving school, Did another one on a trip to Charleston SC & home. That was it since I bought it.

Pretty much the same feeling about MPG. If you buy car you best be able to put gas in it. If mileage is important buy a Prius. The COBRA tends to attract people to ask questions whenever its parked, starting with "Is it real?"

Been asked a few times in a gas station after the "what does it have under the hood" what my gas mileage is. Had to think about it & could not come up with an answer. I tell them I don't know for sure & I just get gas when it gets to a 1/4 tank,

The storm is now rolling through lost power for a few minutes. Supposed to be sunny tomorrow & will have to make a beach run if the roads are open & the evac order is over. Might try the COBRA & see what it gets, about 400 miles round trip.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Banned

Does the RLX still have the old system with the addon Acceleration Device to reduce wear & heat or is it using the new system?
Bear

The RLX has never be offered in a a traditional SH-AWD version....is either a FWD trim or "Sport Hybrid SH-AWD" which is simply two small electric motors attached to each rear wheel (and there is a third one bolted to the gearbox) and a battery pack on top, there is not transmission shaft running from the engine to the back...only the electric motors power the rear wheels.

Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD cutaway

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-08-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: TLX: Sept sales numbers