worst thanksgiving

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrstak
Thanks everyone. I don't think there's any way they won't total it. All my airbags deployed. Both my front wheels are turned the opposite directions. There's probably frame damage from the left front side going to the right and back. If they don't total it, oh man I don't know what to do.

In any case, I'm not sure what to do now...I need to get the case number from the police but they're not answering right now...the tow yard is closed till Monday. I still have stuff to get from my trunk and glove/middle compartments. Does anyone know what happens to all the extra stuff you had on the car...like upgraded wheels, window visors, etc? Would I be able to take those off the car after the insurance is done examining it? Also, do I even want those wheels back? Pretty sure the front two might be bent and if not bent they'd be messed up. I can't really tell from the pictures. Any info on how to approach this whole situation is appreciated. I haven't known anyone who's gotten into an accident of this magnitude so I really have no one to ask except my azine bros. PMs are welcome or you can post here...

Also, what happens in the event that the guy's insurance doesn't have enough coverage to cover the value of the car? Do I just get the maximum allowed by his insurance and sue for the rest?
Get an attorney ASAP. And also sue for injuries as well.

The engine on the TSX still looks good. I wonder how much it would cost salvage for the car.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:07 AM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
omg...You are really lucky to have come out of that unscathed. Thats a big crash man. Glad your alright mrstak.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STAK!!! Damn shit... glad your okay sorry about the car dude...

Well my personal experience if you are not planning to sue the guy just want to get your money for the car...I got my car towed to my regular shop after an accident with my 99 mustang (similar accident guy did not look before making a left turn)...They did everything it was totaled and got $2000+ more than the book value of the car...Didnt have to do anything shop just called me and said insurance guy came with a check...DONE, Again just talking about what happen to me in the past... All i had to do was fax a copy of the police report and it did state that I was not at fault

...All that aside I feel so much better that our cars can handle an accident like that and glad that stak came out okay

...Last but not least might be to early to ask but any plans yet on the next car??

Last edited by apinwp09GBTSX; 11-26-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Thanks everyone. I don't think there's any way they won't total it. All my airbags deployed. Both my front wheels are turned the opposite directions. There's probably frame damage from the left front side going to the right and back. If they don't total it, oh man I don't know what to do.

In any case, I'm not sure what to do now...I need to get the case number from the police but they're not answering right now...the tow yard is closed till Monday. I still have stuff to get from my trunk and glove/middle compartments. Does anyone know what happens to all the extra stuff you had on the car...like upgraded wheels, window visors, etc? Would I be able to take those off the car after the insurance is done examining it? Also, do I even want those wheels back? Pretty sure the front two might be bent and if not bent they'd be messed up. I can't really tell from the pictures. Any info on how to approach this whole situation is appreciated. I haven't known anyone who's gotten into an accident of this magnitude so I really have no one to ask except my azine bros. PMs are welcome or you can post here...

Also, what happens in the event that the guy's insurance doesn't have enough coverage to cover the value of the car? Do I just get the maximum allowed by his insurance and sue for the rest?
I had a similar incident years ago. I had all kinds of optional stuff on the car. I had the receipts for most of it and was able to reference current retailers for the stuff I didn't. I put together a package including those receipts along with product descriptions and a brief cover letter and gave it to the adjuster. They gave me a decent credit for all of it. Give it a try.

I'm sure your car is totaled. Looks like all that "body structure to enhance occupant protection and crash compatibility in frontal crashes" ACE shit did it's thing. I've heard they will total cars just because of air bag deployments, so add in frame compression and distortion and it's a sure thing.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:14 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
If the damage is borderline totalled, among other things, ask your attorney if you can file against yours or the other party's insurance for diminished value, which is what a repaired collision of this magnitude would certainly qualify for. In all likelihood, this will be reported to Carfax.

In the last 10 years I've purchased 5-7 totalled cars & parted them out, and have learned a lot in the process.

As Elsapo said, if you're interested, you can also ask about buying the carcass for ~ 20% of the value calculated if it's totalled. It'd be a great swap for...whatever.

Last edited by HeavyDuty; 11-26-2011 at 07:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TSXKid2010 (11-26-2011)
Old 11-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
that accident looks horrible. cars are made to absorb the shock and so they sometimes total easily, specially if most the airbags go off. each airbag is about $1000 to replace.

glad your ok. this might be a blessing in disguise (chance to buy a 6mt tsx) xD
Old 11-26-2011, 02:03 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
I'm late to the game but man Mrstak I feel bad for you man. The advice everyone gave to you was great! I really hope for the best for ya man. There's no way that car is repairable. There's some serious frame/suspension damage and most, if not all your airbags deployed too. Maybe you can get a TSX 6spd??? It's very reassuring to see how safe Acuras are. Take care and try to relax an enjoy your weekend. Also follow up with your doc too.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
dude, you can take out your ECU and sell that alone for a few hundred, or donate it as the test ECU for russia flashing
TSXKid2010 (11-27-2011)
Old 11-27-2011, 02:31 AM
Developer & Car Fan

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Damn man, glad you are okay! Acura certainly built a car to take a beating, lucky for us it also keeps us alive. Looking at the pictures it seems you are very fortunate to have come out of this mostly unhurt.

Thanksgiving/holidays is a rough time to drive, lots of people, unfamiliar terrain and impatience to "celebrate". Out here in MetroWest I noticed an influx of dumb drivers especially on Black Friday. I had a few near misses as people darted into Wal-Mart and other stores around here. I've actually decided to drive a bit less for right now.

but anyways.. hope the insurance takes care of you and all goes well.

Again, glad you are okay!

Matt
Old 11-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks for all the well wishes guys...yea i gotta see what happens now...gonna try to get the police report tomorrow and i want to try to visit the tow place they took it to...i still have some of my personal belongings in there...didn't think of them at the time....anyways...here come the pics...

the camry is the car that i hit/hit me...

I'll try to draw up a diagram of what happened another time...gonna rest up...I'm thinking tomorrow I'm gonna be all sorts of extra sore...
OMG DUDE, is this in Brooklyn by AVE Y and OCEAN AVENUE?
I live so close to there. I live in Ave Z. Sorry this happened. Lots of moron drivers out there.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Advanced

Err sorry didn't see the other post. So it is Ave Y. How horrible. I got to watch out for that moronic driver when I drive.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:28 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
Yea the guy's car is parked on the sidewalk nearby..he didn't tow it to a auto shop. It's on 22/23rd i think...by either bedford park or the small park on neck road...my dad saw it when he was driving around.

just a quick update: started physical therapy yesterday...felt better...a little looser and less tight. turns out my lower back hurts too...happens when i don't move around. the half hour car ride to and from chinatown (where PT is) was when my lower back started up. went to work today...good god the train ride was bad...back started up then neck started too...i think its from not being able to move around. gonna start working from home tomorrow...
Old 11-29-2011, 12:35 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
wish you a speedy recovery mrstak
mrstak (11-29-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Yea the guy's car is parked on the sidewalk nearby..he didn't tow it to a auto shop. It's on 22/23rd i think...by either bedford park or the small park on neck road...my dad saw it when he was driving around.

just a quick update: started physical therapy yesterday...felt better...a little looser and less tight. turns out my lower back hurts too...happens when i don't move around. the half hour car ride to and from chinatown (where PT is) was when my lower back started up. went to work today...good god the train ride was bad...back started up then neck started too...i think its from not being able to move around. gonna start working from home tomorrow...
get a nice massage while ur in chinatown next time
TSXKid2010 (11-29-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 12:59 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Originally Posted by ed_423
wish you a speedy recovery mrstak
thanks wifey
ed_423 (11-29-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 01:00 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Originally Posted by KillerG
get a nice massage while ur in chinatown next time
I did. and not that kind of massage...dirty dirty
Old 11-29-2011, 01:05 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
keep moving around...and do what your PT asks you to do. you're gonna be sore for a few weeks, but make sure you get all your soft tissue injuries and little sprains/strains worked out in your neck and back (this kind of stuff can become chronic if you aren't diligent about getting it righted).
Acura_Dude (11-29-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 02:21 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Hope you get better soon Stak! You and your car situation!

...damn toyotas. it's sabotage, I'm telling you.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:19 PM
David_Dude

These pics make me sad. Hope your injuries heal up quick. I went and looked at the pics again and you can see th whole projector from the right headlight on the ground. I believe I seen the left projector somewhere in the pic too.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Old 11-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mrstak, I wish you the best in your personal recovery. I'm very sorry about the TSX (that is now in Honda Heaven, I'm sure of it).

I hope everything works out in the end. The most important thing is your health and then that the insurance company treats you well and with respect in this situation.

As for the Camry, **** that.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Damn sorry to hear about your accident. Hope everything works out with your rehab and insurance claim

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
keep moving around...and do what your PT asks you to do. you're gonna be sore for a few weeks, but make sure you get all your soft tissue injuries and little sprains/strains worked out in your neck and back (this kind of stuff can become chronic if you aren't diligent about getting it righted).
I was going to say the same thing. You'll stiffen up like a board if you don't.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Don't forget to remove your EZ PASS!
Old 11-30-2011, 07:46 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Yup got my ezpass the first day I went. Now this tow company is pissing me off. My dad took half a day off to go there to get the car released so we can have it towed to a different shop since I don't know and don't trust these guys. He gets there and they claim the computers are down so he can't do anything and their towing has stopped for the day. First off...as a towing company, they NEVER have their towing services stopped. Next, we had someone who has a tow truck to come pick it up so there's no use for them to tow it anywhere. He had me call him while my dad was there so I called and he was rude as fuck. answers the phone with a "what do you want" cuz he knew i was calling to get my car back. regardless, i had a long conversation with geico and i'm going with my dad tomorrow to get the car released into our hands, and we're having it towed to another shop. sick and tired of dealing with this fucking tow company. i don't need this additional stress that they're giving me with all my injuries...fucking asshole tow company. i'd tell you all the company name but i don't know if its allowed. definitely gonna shit on them on any review site i can find and maybe even hit up the BBB...they basically kicked my dad out of the shop cuz they wanted to tack on an additional day of storage fees.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
its gold towing out of nyc
Old 12-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Yup got my ezpass the first day I went. Now this tow company is pissing me off. My dad took half a day off to go there to get the car released so we can have it towed to a different shop since I don't know and don't trust these guys. He gets there and they claim the computers are down so he can't do anything and their towing has stopped for the day. First off...as a towing company, they NEVER have their towing services stopped. Next, we had someone who has a tow truck to come pick it up so there's no use for them to tow it anywhere. He had me call him while my dad was there so I called and he was rude as fuck. answers the phone with a "what do you want" cuz he knew i was calling to get my car back. regardless, i had a long conversation with geico and i'm going with my dad tomorrow to get the car released into our hands, and we're having it towed to another shop. sick and tired of dealing with this fucking tow company. i don't need this additional stress that they're giving me with all my injuries...fucking asshole tow company. i'd tell you all the company name but i don't know if its allowed. definitely gonna shit on them on any review site i can find and maybe even hit up the BBB...they basically kicked my dad out of the shop cuz they wanted to tack on an additional day of storage fees.
Hope everything works out for you. No offense intended to any honorable tow truck drivers who may frequent this board, but generally speaking tow truck drivers and tow yard staff are slimy as fuck. The fellow from Ashland, VA who towed my ride was very polite and offered to drop me at enterprise, so it did give me some hope for the future.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:36 AM

I know and have worked with some good tow companies and prolly just as many bad ones.

In this world there's more horse's asses than horses.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:13 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Sorry to hear about that man, hope that company will eat sht for it's business.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

So finally got my car to the auto shop I wanted. Today at the first tow truck place...the owner I believe is the one I spoke to on the phone that was condescending and a general asshole. I show up with my dad, ask for the car, they bring me up a bill with a bunch of fees. Towing fee (understandable), flat bed fee? (isn't that included in towing fee?), storage fees (understandable), then because I stupidly signed a "repair authorization form" they "claimed" they had to do remove the front right and left fenders in preparation to let the insurance company see the guts of the car. I didn't really care about the fees since the insurance company would pay for all this but I'm just like...really? a "prep fee" for the insurance company to look at the car when there's no appointment made...no one told them to do anything to "prepare" for any examination. Whatever fine...so we get the bill and I'm reading it over and my dad goes outside to wait for the tow truck we got to come get my car...I'm just sitting there looking over the bill and the guy comes over to me and says "let me ask you a question. what's so hard to understand about the bill?" I said nothing i'm just looking over everything. he goes "you seem like an intelligent guy (thanks i said) why are you scrutinizing the bill so hard? we're an honest business. we had to do so much work to get your trunk open so you could get your stuff out. you're sitting here for the past half hour." i was like it hasn't been half an hour...he points at the clock "you got here 10 after 9 and its 9:25 now". i go that's 15 minutes...i can't sit here and look? i'm not allowed to sit here and read it? he goes "go ahead you can't sit here all day though" i said don't worry i'm not going to.

It was my fault that I signed that stupid repair form...should've read it over carefully and realized hey, i dont have to sign it...when i first showed up i got intimidated by 3 guys throwing the paper in front of me and saying don't worry we'll take care of everything...lesson learned AFTER AN ACCIDENT DON'T SIGN ANYTHING.

So anyway, these guys have got some guilty conscience. I didn't question anything about their business or how they operate and I asked them about the charges just so I know what I'm paying for, couldn't read their abbreviated words/letters and the guy immediately is defensive and starts going about "we're an honest business...everything there is legit. you signed this paper giving us permission to make repairs" i was like no repairs were asked...insurance didn't even look at it yet. Whatever...I didn't want to sit there and argue with the guy anymore.

TL; DR
finally got my car away from fucking crooked towing company to my auto shop of choice.

took a quick pic of the passenger front rim and the driver side too. i'll get those posted soon. fucking horrible.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:41 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

this is the right front rim...so basically the guy hit me on the left side, pushed my entire front area into my wheel which split in half. my brakes are pushing up against the wheel face. didn't even realize i lost my centercap...lol

Edit: looking back on my previous pics...i didn't lose my centercap...that fucking tow company took my damn centercaps!

is that the control arm that's split? think so...shit just fucking broke off from the wheel to the car...

Back two wheels might be salvageable...we'll see what happens.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:59 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
ouch
Old 12-01-2011, 12:19 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

man i would be so pissed if i get customer services like that...if a place (restaurant, bodyshop, etc) has shitty services, i'll never go there no matter how great they are. if they can't please me, they don't deserve my business.

i hope everything works out for you man, must be frustrating as hell having to deal with this and your in juries.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:31 PM

It's sneaky, to say the least, for them to have you sign an ATR before the estimator even had an appointment.

What they did is called "putting a bite on it", badgering you to sign the form so they can start work & then whine & complain or badger you further later to let them do the work since they've "already started."

It's a miserable industry.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:26 AM
Pro

Received 541 Likes on 238 Posts
What a dirtbag towing company... They also have the nerve to steal your center caps. Did they take all 4? I would file a compliant to the BBB and tell them everything you said here.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:56 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

I haven't had time to go back to the auto shop to see if the center caps are missing from each wheel. Seeing as how I didn't check the first day I went to the original tow shop, it's possible that the center cap fell off some how during the towing process. Doubtful..but still a possibility. Bleh.

Turns out Country Wide (other guys insurance) is slow as fuck. They're dragging their feet with this shit...not sending an adjustor out and all. I could claim it first with my insurance but then I'd have to pay the deductible first then have my insurance go after Country Wide to reimburse me. This shit is such a hassle.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:35 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

hang it there man, it'll get resolved
Old 12-06-2011, 04:36 PM
David_Dude

I haven't had time to go back to the auto shop to see if the center caps are missing from each wheel. Seeing as how I didn't check the first day I went to the original tow shop, it's possible that the center cap fell off some how during the towing process. Doubtful..but still a possibility. Bleh.

Turns out Country Wide (other guys insurance) is slow as fuck. They're dragging their feet with this shit...not sending an adjustor out and all. I could claim it first with my insurance but then I'd have to pay the deductible first then have my insurance go after Country Wide to reimburse me. This shit is such a hassle.
Been thru this before...! Hopefully they'll get back to you sometime this week.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
any chance you got that outer grill?
Old 12-06-2011, 05:55 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

^ this guy
Old 12-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Received 381 Likes on 233 Posts
wow country wide= the most POS insurance there is in NYC good luck with them