What are your top complaints about the TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lexusconvert?
The 2010 has slightly revidsed steering and also the caller ID in the MID was changed to improve its appearance. This is what i read in the press release from acura.
thats all the change?
ans all those known issues people have been having, that acura has been fixing. arent fixed in the new cars?
Old 02-24-2010, 11:34 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by hjahmad
thats all the change?
ans all those known issues people have been having, that acura has been fixing. arent fixed in the new cars?
as far as i know, engine pinging is fixed, and the valet key opening the trunk only affected very early 2009 models.

it looks like it's mostly those with tech packages that are having speaker blowouts, and i don't know if that is fully remedied yet.

brakes remain a weak point. it sounds like some people are having to replace pads and rotors with barely 25-30k miles of average driving, both in the TSX and in the 4-cylinder Honda Accord. i don't remember honda ever having "great" brakes, but this is something to be wary of.

still, i'm very happy with my 2010 so far.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by frescagod
as far as i know, engine pinging is fixed, and the valet key opening the trunk only affected very early 2009 models.

it looks like it's mostly those with tech packages that are having speaker blowouts, and i don't know if that is fully remedied yet.

brakes remain a weak point. it sounds like some people are having to replace pads and rotors with barely 25-30k miles of average driving, both in the TSX and in the 4-cylinder Honda Accord. i don't remember honda ever having "great" brakes, but this is something to be wary of.

still, i'm very happy with my 2010 so far.
dang i was hoping the speaker issue would be fixed. im getting a tech soon

but im glad to hear you are happy. im sure i will be too, but i dont want the car to become a burden
Old 03-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll second every complaint listed so far...Don't get me wrong I love my car but it has more issues than I can count I'm about to drop it off at the shop this week for about 20 some odd service bulletin fixes for brakes, nav, handsfree, noises, and a bunch of other things I've just dealt with until I finally got fed up.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Principle
I'll second every complaint listed so far...Don't get me wrong I love my car but it has more issues than I can count
As far as I'm concerned, the most dangerous complaint I have is the way the dashboard reflects in the windscreen when the sun is at a certain angle. Forward visibility is like looking through a thick fog. I know it's seriously uncool, but I'm trying to find a dash mat just to prevent me from crashing the car every time the sun shines.

Because of this and all the other issues already covered in this thread, I definitely wouldn't buy another one of these cars.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SilverCU3
As far as I'm concerned, the most dangerous complaint I have is the way the dashboard reflects in the windscreen when the sun is at a certain angle. Forward visibility is like looking through a thick fog. I know it's seriously uncool, but I'm trying to find a dash mat just to prevent me from crashing the car every time the sun shines.

Because of this and all the other issues already covered in this thread, I definitely wouldn't buy another one of these cars.
Could you describe this some more? I've test driven the car several times and never experienced it. But it was never super sunny when I drove. I'm not sure I'm able to understand what you are describing. Does this affect both Nav and non-Nav models? Windscreen?
Old 03-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by minal
Could you describe this some more? I've test driven the car several times and never experienced it. But it was never super sunny when I drove. I'm not sure I'm able to understand what you are describing. Does this affect both Nav and non-Nav models? Windscreen?
Ok, it doesn't matter if it's a Nav model or not because the offending part of the dashboard is the bit directly in front of the driver, i.e. over the instruments. It only happens when the sun is shining brightly. I don't mean when it's a bright day, I mean only when there aren't any clouds obscuring the sun. If the car is orientated in a particular way in relation to the sun (facing into the sun to with the sun either directly in front, or slightly to either side), the grain in the plastic on the top of the dashboard reflects on the windscreen. It's like looking through dashnoard-patterned haze.

If the piece of road you're actually driving on is in full sun and you're driving towards a shaded area, anything in the shaded area is rendered almost invisible.

It's really hard to explain and it doesn't happen all the time - only when the sun is in just the right (wrong) position. On a 100 mile trip during a sunny day, this might only be for a few miles of it. But when it happens it's bad enough to be considered dangerous (IMO).

I never wear sunglasses so I couldn't say if that negates it due to the polarising effect. I know a lot of people wear sunglasses all the time when driving so that may explain why no-one else seems to have noticed it!

The Sat Nav & camera displays are virtually invisible in really bright sunshine - but that's just inconvenient, not dangerous.

Last edited by SilverCU3; 03-03-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:19 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
^i kinda know what u mean. but i have polrized sungalsses so it helps
Old 03-04-2010, 12:19 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Ok, it doesn't matter if it's a Nav model or not because the offending part of the dashboard is the bit directly in front of the driver, i.e. over the instruments. It only happens when the sun is shining brightly. I don't mean when it's a bright day, I mean only when there aren't any clouds obscuring the sun. If the car is orientated in a particular way in relation to the sun (facing into the sun to with the sun either directly in front, or slightly to either side), the grain in the plastic on the top of the dashboard reflects on the windscreen. It's like looking through dashnoard-patterned haze.

If the piece of road you're actually driving on is in full sun and you're driving towards a shaded area, anything in the shaded area is rendered almost invisible.

It's really hard to explain and it doesn't happen all the time - only when the sun is in just the right (wrong) position. On a 100 mile trip during a sunny day, this might only be for a few miles of it. But when it happens it's bad enough to be considered dangerous (IMO).

I never wear sunglasses so I couldn't say if that negates it due to the polarising effect. I know a lot of people wear sunglasses all the time when driving so that may explain why no-one else seems to have noticed it!

The Sat Nav & camera displays are virtually invisible in really bright sunshine - but that's just inconvenient, not dangerous.
i agree that the angle and weird texture of the dashboard really makes seeing through the windshield suck when the sun is...up, basically. from 10am-3pm, it is just brutal if the sun is out.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe you guyz got the Special Edition with the heads up display
Old 03-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Intermediate

so this is a result of the kind of material Acura used to make the dash? Not good! Acura should have been on this for safety reasons. Has anyone ever experienced this with another model or another car make?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Instructor

This. I dont' mind not being able to see the nav screen but the reflection of the dash on the windshield is ridiculously dangerous.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Instructor

The weather sucks at my place these days, but If I will have this windscreen problem later I think I will kill myself.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
press down and hold what? i can't press down the scroll wheel...what am i missing here? i have seriously tinkered with every button on there and can't figure it out. i was hoping that there would be a higher-level scroll so you can browse artists by first letter (spin wheel once to get to F, hit select, then scroll down again to select foo fighters, for example).

It's because he has the tech package which in turn makes the knob larger and allows the driver to push it up and down; left and right, not just scroll like in non-tech cars. In the non-tech TSX, you have to manually twist the knob and scroll through the artists. It's no big pain in the ass for me because I don't have a lot of music on my iPod, but I can certainly imagine it becoming a hassle.

Last edited by TSteezyX; 03-04-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:49 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

usually if i want to listen to songs aroudn the end, i play the first song, then hit back on the steering wheel, then i can turn the knob backwords starting from the last song. but that is still not that ideal because sometiems i might want to listen to songs in the middle...
lets get some coustom nav system going on for 2nd gen guys!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
so this is a result of the kind of material Acura used to make the dash? Not good! Acura should have been on this for safety reasons. Has anyone ever experienced this with another model or another car make?
Sure, it can happen in just about any car without a completely matte surface on the dash, so it usually afflicts less expensive cars with cheap hard plastic dashes. It was really bad on my 1989 Pontiac Grand Am, and slightly less so (as I recall) on my 1995 Jetta GLX. I did not experience this on my 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero, at least not to distracting levels, and have yet to notice it with my 2010 TSX. I do normally wear sunglasses when driving during the day, but usually not a polarized pair.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:38 AM
Instructor

It happens on my father's Toyota Celica, too. It's a product of windscreen and dashboard angles. The actual material/pattern doesn't cause the problem, but shiny plastic with a grain makes it seem worse because you actually see this in the reflection.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HHCZ
The weather sucks at my place these days, but If I will have this windscreen problem later I think I will kill myself.
Get the rope ready, HHCZ

My windscreen has now started making a creaking noise at the point where the dashboard contacts it ... where the foam strip is.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Advanced

umm...i think i will think twice before getting the tsx now. i was really looking fwd to getting one.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mavrax
umm...i think i will think twice before getting the tsx now. i was really looking fwd to getting one.
Oh please...ud be scared out of getting any car if u listened to all the ppl who bitch on forums these days.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Racer

yea i feel bad for all these guys. mine has been problem free and i drive it aggressively. its a very solid car. (knock on wood) lol
Old 03-05-2010, 06:37 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

like we said earlier, a lot of these are just personal preference, and not every car experience with these things..so i say, go for a test drive or two..or three...or however many times u need to make sure its the car you want. IMO its not a bad car
Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

it's a great car. i'm just annoyed with the ipod interface, but the workaround is just using the aux cord instead of the ipod/USB interface.

the engine is great (4-cyl), the transmission is great, everything works (knock on wood), and i got a great deal on the car. it's a honda/acura, and i'm happy i went with it over leasing an A4, 328i, or G37.

i would recommend a manual transmission TSX to anyone, but probably not the automatic...it's just too sluggish with the horrible gear ratios. one of my friends is looking at an '07 or '08, and is cross shopping it with an A4. she is leaning TSX though, and when she drives the 6-speed, i'm confident she will pull the trigger.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:09 AM
Instructor

I agree with with everyone else ... most of the complaints here are either personal preference or applicable only to their specific car. Very few of the complaints are generic so it's unlikely that your car will have ALL the problems listed here.

Besides, as consumer expectation increases, there will undoubtedly be issues with whatever car you buy
Old 03-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Intermediate

All of thee above- plus SHITTY PAINT JOB
Old 03-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

1. Brakes: we're doing better than most but still the rear inside pads are almost gone at 20K - asymmetric wear points to a real engineering screwup
2. GPS real time traffic - they should be hit for false advertising on the real-time!!
3. Speakers blowing!
4. Mirrors not being included in Preset 1 and 2 for drivers.
5. Lack of full bluetooth support for many popular phones including our current ones
6. Keyed wheel lock nuts don't come standard? They did on my pickup!
7. Various little problems - fuel cap warning, fuel door sticking, cup holder cover not opening, etc.
8. And that massive key - when most of the competition has gone keyless.

2009 TSX Tech
Old 03-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Racer

it made me getting a speeding ticket already
Old 03-19-2010, 03:08 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by nyydynasty
not much complaints but if I were to be picky:

1) USB is not compatible with my ZuneHD (only iPods)....why?????

That's gotta be a swift kick the old yam-bag for MS.

The ability to use it with any old usb flash drive is one of my favorite features though.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:43 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

brakes. squealing. after 2 months. in to the dealer sometime next week. it's pretty embarrassing though, every time i come up to a red light, amidst all the american cars, it's mine that is making the school bus squeal.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HHCZ
Huray!!! The sun is shining and my dash is mirroring, what a car
Old 04-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Instructor

RATTLES
period.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:08 AM
10th Gear

No complaints so far. *knock-on-wood* We just got it last night and loving it.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My biggest complaints so far about my 2010 TSX V6 are:

1) Low res nav screen!!!! My g/f has a 2009 Lexus IS250 with nav and the resolution is SO MUCH BETTER than my TSX's!!!! The TSX nav resolution looks the same as my 2002 TL-S. A nav with better resolution would make the TSX interior look so much better.

2) No touch screen for nav!!!! I wish the nav screen was much closer to the driver like it is on my TL-S. Touch screen functionality is so much more convenient than the current turn knob joystick device the TSX currently has.

3) The satellite radio display needs to be able to scroll the entire name of the song or artist!!!! It looks lame when the name of the artist or song is truncated on the screen.

4) No a/c vents for the back seat!!!! Lame. How hard is it to do this? My TL-S has this and my TSX cost more than my TL-S...so it should have back vents, too.

But other than that...the car is a blast to drive. Love it. Worth the extra cash.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Instructor

I just took the TSX for a drive down to Cape Canaveral.

On the way back, the auto-rerouting for traffic function took me off the highway and on to smaller side streets. Sounds cool, huh? BUT...There was more traffic on the side streets than on the highway.

So the complaint is that there is no traffic info for side streets. Not really Acura's fault, i know....but knowing the info isnt' out there, they should have made the navigation re-route me only to highways where there IS traffic info.

picky, i know
Old 04-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Advanced

My biggest issue with the car is the exterior finish. You can see the (poorly done) welds under the side skirts and the wheel/fender wells. Plus, the panel gaps on either side of the hood are unequal? Anyone have this issue??
Old 04-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by onthelimit
My biggest issue with the car is the exterior finish. You can see the (poorly done) welds under the side skirts and the wheel/fender wells. Plus, the panel gaps on either side of the hood are unequal? Anyone have this issue??
Old 04-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Curious to know how much of this persists today?

I know they have never address the voice control system. My Huyndai Elantra could figure out a spoken name against my address book. Acura makes me record a voice tag for each name in speed dial. And how many steps are needed to just to call someone by name.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:47 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I love my TSX but for 30k it should color LCD Monitor for rear back camera...

1) LCD/Rear Camera regardless if it's base or tech pack
2) Push Start... (acura is cheap on this part)
3) Break
4) Weak Paint
5) Too much noise in highway after 60mph

Rear Camera and push start should have included in BASE model regardless... it's a freakin' 30k car... i love my TSX but these things i realized should be standard
Old 04-14-2014, 01:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 369 Posts
I'd agree with push to start, cheap paint and bad brakes. I really don't notice much road noise. Fastest I've driven so far was 90MPH (was running late) didn't notice a huge difference compared to going 40 or 50. My others would be poor quality leather and keyless entry.

Funny thing is with new laws, any cars produced after 2014 or 2016 I believe have to have some kind of rear back up camera, standard.

Also, just skimmed the thread, the iPod interface must have changed after 2010 because I love that feature with the tech package. It's easy to use and very quick. I wish it had a few more detailed options, such as shuffle for a certain artist, instead of shuffle only for the whole iPod. Just minor gripes.

Last edited by rawger; 04-14-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:59 AM
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 83 Posts
my biggest complaints so far:

- when the iPod is connected, there is no way to skip down quickly through artists...the only way is to spin the big fat wheel button around and around for 20 seconds. i looked in the manual and didn't see anything about a fast page-down feature or anything. am i missing something?
is there a way to connect my iphone contacts to my acura phone book, reason i ask this is because i was wondering it synced to my phonebook, can i press the dial button on the steering wheel and say "Call House"

Quick Reply: What are your top complaints about the TSX?