What are your top complaints about the TSX?

Old 02-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are your top complaints about the TSX?

Don't get me wrong, I love the new TSX and have no regrets getting it. But, there are some issues with the car. Here are my top complaints:

1. Visually outdated GPS screen. Many other car companies have big high definition screens. Acura's GPS looks plain ugly in comparison and the GPS technology is straight from 2005.

2. Passenger seat does not adjust vertically. Baffling omission. My wife is very short and she feels like she is sitting in a hole.

3. Electric assisted steering feels a little lifeless. I can't explain it, its just missing something...Maybe someone else can explain it.

4. Whats with the huge key? And no keyless start option.

5. Headroom space is lacking. I have banged my head into the ceiling a few times, and I am not that tall.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Racer

1. The brake problems
2. The speaker problems
3. engine pinging
Old 02-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1. Brakes for sure!!
Minor annoyance: scrolling through ipod songs/playlists/artists.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
I have a 2010 non-tech with 6MT. It's a fantastic car, and I have only a few gripes:

1. Steering. Off-center, it's precise and has excellent feel. On-center, it's numb, which means it doesn't feel totally locked-in on the highway, even though it actually tracks pretty well. The steering doesn't center itself with authority either. This is by far my biggest complaint, as I think it's otherwise a perfect sport sedan for the price. But I bet steering feel could be improved with different tires, and I'm looking forward to trying some as soon as it doesn't seem wasteful to do so.

2. Brakes. They feel a little weak, especially compared to the monsters on my old 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero.

3. Stereo. I'd prefer physical knobs for bass, treble, pan, and fade. The iPod integration could be improved in a couple of ways, but it's reliable and I'm glad to have it.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. Brakes warped every 3000 miles untill i replaced rotors with slotted aftermarket rotors..
2. GPS real time traffic blows more dick then my $100 navigation system.
3. Speakers blowing, I should be able to blast my shit as loud as I want with out blowin gthe speakers..
4. Mirrors not being included in Preset 1 and 2 for drivers.
5. Ipod interfacing slow and takes much longer to use then if I just used my Ipod.
6. Bluetooth microphone, is poor and picks up a lot of distortion even with all windows closed people can barely hear me speak unles I am yelling over the road noise.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Instructor

1. Too many rattles and creaks from the interior trim considering the price of the car.
2. Noise of fuel slopping around in the tank drives me nuts at parking speeds.
3. Having to accept the sat. nav. disclaimer each time the igniton is turned back on.
4. Dashboard reflecting in the windscreen when the sun shines makes it hard to see out.
5. Automatic lights don't turn on until it's almost pitch black outside.
6. Electric power steering feels too artifical.
7. Dampers aren't very well matched to the spring rates.

Apart from that lot, it's a great car which has far more plus points than it has negative ones!
Old 02-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
1. The GPS screen is OK by me, the glare on the other hand is not.
2. European and Asian model has the 8 way adjustable seats for passenger, but price are considerably higher. They do get ACC, LKAS and CMBS etc.
3. The Navi screen acknowledgement is getting a bit bothersome.
4. Keyless is std on the TL, again it's price point issue, I like the switchblade key.
5. Rear passenger seatbelt buckle recess too much into the seat, make it difficult for my kids to buckle up as they are on booster seats. Try to locate a seat belt extender somewhere.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

1. lack of back seat room for passangers as I have my driver seat all the way back.
2. No CD text on my TSX but shows on the TL
Old 02-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Racer

no mirror memory!

other than that, i haven't had any of the other reported problems. (knock on wood.)
Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Instructor

1) The whole bluetooth/voice control/navigation system needs to be scrapped and re-engineered to be one integrated system and not 2 seperate systems. For starters, even when importing your contacts in a tech-equipped car, the bluetooth handsfree never links to that list, therefore only showing a number in the MID when someone calls...it never makes the connection to your address book (either imported or on your phone, my Audi has done this since 2006) Who the fuck remembers phone numbers nowadays? Secondly, there is no quick and easy way to navigate your imported contact list. Thirdly, when you try to dial from your phone (because of above mentioned shitty integration with imported contact list) you have to manually fucking transfer to the call to the bluetooth system (2009 models only). Lastly, everytime an un-paired iphone that has BT turned on gets in the car, it keeps activating the voice control and says "pairing process cannot be started from the phone, please exit and say setup" or some bullshit like that. (seriously annoying) Why are there two sets of voice control buttons?!?!?! WTF!

2) The gearing in the 5spd Auto sucks. Maybe this car needs a 6spd auto?

3) Twitchy Steering

4) Jumpy suspension

5) crappy speakers (seriously, this sound system could have rocked with just slightly better quality speakers)

6) cheap leather throughout (my TSX's leather shows more wear after 10 months than my '06 Audi A6 after 4yrs and 50k miles of my fat ass sitting in it (versus my wife's awesome thin ass sitting in the TSX)

7) side mirrors aren't linked to memory settings, and they don't auto-dim

8) cheap key/fob (alright, i'm just being picky on this one..but it's true)

9) 17" oem wheels that are too small for the wells and are just completely wrong with the offset. seriously, this car needs like 10mm spacers just to look normal

10) rattles here and there and glare on the nav screen

Here what I like about the car:

1) overall good looks
2) $349/mo + tax
3) good gas mileage
4) wife didn't mind giving me my Audi back and driving the TSX

I'm a picky bastard, what can I say?

Last edited by GrigioX; 02-01-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Racer

Grigio you hit the nail on the head good write up
Old 02-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Racer

oh.. and no rear vents.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:57 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
a lot of ya said it already...here are some that u guys dindt say, however these are all very minor i am just being picky at the moment, since all of ya said the main problesm already:

1. damn, if you are going to make footwell leds, why so dim? (maybe thats just me)
2. if i pull out the arm rest, it covers one of the cup holders (not much of a problem, but still..)
3. i still need something to support the hood when i pop it open?!
4. a lil louder beep when i lock my car?
5. the sunroof doesnt tilt enough for me lol
Old 02-01-2010, 07:08 PM
3rd Gear

I just purchased the 2010 TSX V6 with tech package two weeks ago. GPS definitely looks outdated. Otherwise, no complaints.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
lack of aftermarket support

what i do like?
i barely see 2nd gens around in los angeles.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Intermediate

first of all thanks for all the information:

I was seriously in the market for the TSX w/ tech but the following problems I found really is the deal breaker.
1) engine ping problem seems to still be existing
2) the OEM brake, Honda seems to having problem on the Accord too

I guess I will just stick with my 2000 Accord... or maybe I should wait for the '11 model come out.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Originally Posted by defconskylude
lack of aftermarket support

what i do like?
i barely see 2nd gens around in los angeles.
just gotta keep waiting for more aftermarket part defcon :/ but it doesnt matter since you do all your work yourself
Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ed_423
3. i still need something to support the hood when i pop it open?!
Definitely agree on that one, even Camry's don't have that anymore. When I first popped the hood I was like, "really Acura?"

Navigation POIs are useless, and I wish the iPod menu's would load faster or at least remember where I stopped scrolling so I don't have to do it all over again.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:36 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
The aforementioned stuff are annoyances to one degree or another, but my recurring b1tch is no GD drip rails for when there's a *little* moisture on the roof and the water POURS directly in the f'kin window switches and side view mirror switch if the window is cracked open in the slightest.

I guess I'm claustrophobic, I hate driving with the window up.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
The aforementioned stuff are annoyances to one degree or another, but my recurring b1tch is no GD drip rails for when there's a *little* moisture on the roof and the water POURS directly in the f'kin window switches and side view mirror switch if the window is cracked open in the slightest.

I guess I'm claustrophobic, I hate driving with the window up.
its cool, i prefer window down as well. save some gas and wind feels good and a bit claustrophobic as well
Old 02-02-2010, 06:11 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tishkevich
1. Brakes warped every 3000 miles untill i replaced rotors with slotted aftermarket rotors..
2. GPS real time traffic blows more dick then my $100 navigation system.
3. Speakers blowing, I should be able to blast my shit as loud as I want with out blowin gthe speakers..
4. Mirrors not being included in Preset 1 and 2 for drivers.
5. Ipod interfacing slow and takes much longer to use then if I just used my Ipod.
6. Bluetooth microphone, is poor and picks up a lot of distortion even with all windows closed people can barely hear me speak unles I am yelling over the road noise.
1) 2010 purchased a week ago, 700 miles on it now. i hope i don't have the brakes problem.
3) i don't really need to listen to music past ~16-18...how high do you go?
4) definitely an omission, but then again, no one drives the car but me
5) true, scrolling down to an artist that starts with T is a serious pain in the ass
6) i have no problem with the bluetooth, actually. what service do you have? my gf's iphone pairs fine with it but there is some static and whatnot. i have an HTC through sprint and it is flawless, and i can speak as if i am directing it to the passenger right next to me.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:19 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) i thought i had a rattle last night, but it was just leftover ice on the rear decklid. once i removed it, the crackling stopped.

2) i have a slightly mis-aligned panel on the A-pillar (where one of the airbags is housed, i believe). it is slightly off and looks sloppy.

3) the steering is definitely numb. it's fine when i'm just DD'ing to and from work or on a road trip, but when i want to go through some twisties, something is definitely missing.

4) the car got bigger in every way on the outside, yet the inside got smaller? how does that happen? trunk is smaller, rear legroom is basically the same?

5) styling is not particularly great. granted, i hated it when the 2009 came out but i came around and like it, just not a lot. too many weird angles. Acura needs to get a new designer and stop making futuristic space station cars.

other than that, it kicks my old S2000's butt in terms of daily driving and longer trips, and it's still relatively fun in the twisties (it's heavier, but still somewhat nimble for being 3400 lbs).
Old 02-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Advanced

less than 300 miles. I have no complaints apart from the grill... but even that I kind of like because I will stand out once it's painted to match the car
Old 02-05-2010, 05:35 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
The steering in the TSX SUCKS.. the feel is LIFELESS, I really did not notice untill I drove my girls TL the other day then went on a swap with a G37 , the steering is lifeless like someone would say.. No feedback.. The bluetooth sucks, no one can hear me !
i have no prob with pinging yet and have been using regular gas , I also have not had a problem with the speakers BUT I think the tech's are only having a problem with blown speakers!
Old 02-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
**3. Having to accept the sat. nav. disclaimer each time the igniton is turned back on.**

At least Acura has not resorted to the "nanny" feature, which disables many Navi features if the car is in motion.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
to be honest, none.

I drive my dad's tsx time to time, and i absolutely love it. The steering, yea its loose compared to my G35, but loose in a good way, in that it's very responsive and easy to handle.

the power is good too, feels a lot more than 201HP, and I can easily power my way onto the freeway, or pass someone up.

what i really like about this car though, is that it feels so much more convenient/comfortable than my own car, granted though....I don't really like sedans prefer coupes ...But then again/sedan = wpould be more practical i guess.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Intermediate

1. Engine ping......now fixed.

2. Driver side door speaker blown to hell......to be replaced on warranty. I hope the other speakers don't start popping too.

3. Suspension terrible on certain surfaces, OK on others.

It's an imperfect machine, but I love it.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coming from a 1998 toyota avalon, this car is amazing. Because my previous car was an avalon, the tsx's back seat is basically useless when it comes to seating people.

Can't complain though, I love this car.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Nav/hands free voice is way too loud when it comes on. It comes on at volume 30 no matter what volume my music is at.

I drive with all of my lights on all the time so the back up camera is too dim when I first start my car. Backup camera should not work off the dimmer switch.

Needs more juice for the I4.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:40 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Hey Lou,

I don't know if you were aware of it or not, but the music, HFL and nav voice volume are all separate. The only time I get loud seat belt voice is when I mute her altogether. Navi volume is under menu, then settings, I believe. The hfl volume can be adjusted with the radio volume knob when in HFL.

Someone else here pointed out to me about a bright adjustment on the backup cam by turning the multi-knob to the right for brighter and left for dimmer. You have to be in reverse therefore activating the camera to adjust it.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The climate control should be in increments of 0.5 degrees
Old 02-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lou01

I drive with all of my lights on all the time

why?
Old 02-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shift_acura
the climate control should be in increments of 0.5 degrees
^+1
Old 02-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GrigioX
why?
For example me too. We have to due a law. For this automatic lights-on-startup should be nice, but not a biggie.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:34 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
the daytime driving light are ALWAYS on..
Old 02-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Instructor

No HIDs for the high beam. No big deal,as I knew about this before we bought.
What we did not know about was the lack of a heated seat back for the passenger and mirrors that are not linked to the memory seat feature. Was kind of pissed about that when we found out after we got the car home.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Cylanth
Don't get me wrong, I love the new TSX and have no regrets getting it. But, there are some issues with the car. Here are my top complaints:

3. Electric assisted steering feels a little lifeless. I can't explain it, its just missing something...Maybe someone else can explain it.
5. Headroom space is lacking. I have banged my head into the ceiling a few times, and I am not that tall.
I agree on the head room I am 6*3 and i have problems lol
but then again i do in a chevy suburban lol
i dont like the sound of the steering
Old 02-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Advanced

This might be trivial, but did anyone notice that the windshield washer fluid on the 2010 sprays significantly higher on the passenger side? Maybe it's a safety feature so as to not disrupt the driver's view, or maybe I just need to get it fixed.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Ok after couple hundreds of miles:

1) very stiff ride on a bad roads, it is not comfortable
2) I am 180 cm tall and I cannot find comfortable driving position, the lumbar support is too big
3) wheels&fenders design
Old 02-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Minors:
4) you cannot switch between seat memory presets during drive or even on lights, you have to have the gearleaver at "P" mode
5) steering is dead and in town it could be ligher
6) trunk door has no automatic full open function, so you have to touch it when the car is dirty
7) trunk has no useful structure like for example BMW. It is just a hole.
8) no rear heated seats, no heated steering wheel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are your top complaints about the TSX?