What Would it Take for you to buy the 2009 TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by LaZyPiGgY
Wasn't the reason the RSX was discontinued was because the Civic Si offered simliar or better performance for cheaper?
The RSX was discontinued because it as at the end its cycle and they could not add side curtains to that design. They were wasting money keeping that Japan line running when everything else was cranking out ACE bodies. They could have ported a version of the Civic to a new RSX, but the perception was they needed to move it upmarket.

Nobody seems to understand that production decisions are generally made 3 years in advance. In 2003 when HMC made the decision to pull the plug on the RSX they were sitting on: Accord coupe, Civic coupe, S2000, RSX, CL and NSX. At the same time, the industry was going "SUV crazy" and they had one SUV in the Acura line. The decision was made to create a new compact SUV for Acura vs. another coupe.

It probably seemed like a good idea at the time, who could have envisioned $4.00 gas?
Old 04-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
The RSX was discontinued because it as at the end its cycle and they could not add side curtains to that design. They were wasting money keeping that Japan line running when everything else was cranking out ACE bodies. They could have ported a version of the Civic to a new RSX, but the perception was they needed to move it upmarket.

Nobody seems to understand that production decisions are generally made 3 years in advance. In 2003 when HMC made the decision to pull the plug on the RSX they were sitting on: Accord coupe, Civic coupe, S2000, RSX, CL and NSX. At the same time, the industry was going "SUV crazy" and they had one SUV in the Acura line. The decision was made to create a new compact SUV for Acura vs. another coupe.

It probably seemed like a good idea at the time, who could have envisioned $4.00 gas?
That does make a lot of sense Colin. So the RSX was decided to be pulled off even before the entry of the 06+ Civic Si generation.

Hopefully when Acura comes out with their coupe, they actually make it right. Coupe competition will be tough with the 3series coupe and A5, if their pursuing upmarket of course.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Banned

Screw coups, I want a rear door, and before you say thats the providence of cheap cars, BMW, Saab, Audi, Mercedes all have models with rear doors. Acura could give us the Accord Tourer if they wanted. I like the TSX but I think Acura is trying desperately to lose me.

Not only that, I found out that there's a Civic Type-R in Europe and Japan as well as a luxurious minivan but both are witheld from the US. Why? I hate that they deprive us of options to maintain some silly balance of public perception.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Hail Hail

Given the comments about the TSX, I doubt we'll see too many other European models from Honda making their way to America. Face it, the car was designed for the European market. The interior is more refined than the first generation - metal instead of plastic inserts, better leather on the seats - to compete with the European brands. I actually hope they don't stray far from European standards when they bring the new TSX here.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wackura
Screw coups, I want a rear door, and before you say thats the providence of cheap cars, BMW, Saab, Audi, Mercedes all have models with rear doors. Acura could give us the Accord Tourer if they wanted. I like the TSX but I think Acura is trying desperately to lose me.

Not only that, I found out that there's a Civic Type-R in Europe and Japan as well as a luxurious minivan but both are witheld from the US. Why? I hate that they deprive us of options to maintain some silly balance of public perception.
The Civic Type-R is a hatchback marketed for younger crowds, which we have the Civic Si for. Its just a civic with the K20 from the RSX, not a big deal. Also, hatchbacks are hot in Europe and Asia, not so much here. Americans either go for cars, or big SUV's, not a hatch.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LaZyPiGgY
The Civic Type-R is a hatchback marketed for younger crowds, which we have the Civic Si for. Its just a civic with the K20 from the RSX, not a big deal. Also, hatchbacks are hot in Europe and Asia, not so much here. Americans either go for cars, or big SUV's, not a hatch.

but the market is here for hatch though... look at VW golf and rabbit... they are selling good... even Toyota Yaris and Nissa Versa, they sell more hatch then sedan. I don't see why there is not a room for Civic Hatch... which looks hell lots better than the previous two.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Race Director

I saw the Euro Civic when I went to Spain, I like it much more than the US Civic.

A lot of the Euro cars I recall were hatchback or wagon looking there with the rear wipers. It's probably due to getting a lot of cargo in a car/hatchback even if it's smaller car overall due to the narrowness of the roads and parking spaces in Europe. Plus, a lot of the roads are older than the cities in the USA.

In America we don't care cause we have a lot more space here and the roads are wider, always have been, even in the cities.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Banned

Even if a hatchback isn't a big seller it doesn't mean they won't sell any at all. I'll buy one. Do they want my money or not?
Old 04-05-2008, 01:11 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by wackura
Even if a hatchback isn't a big seller it doesn't mean they won't sell any at all. I'll buy one. Do they want my money or not?

Whatever happened to the hatchback/ wagon part of the market...?

You choices other than a sedan...

Big gas guzzling huge SUV
Cheap very uncomfortable small no fun SUV that still doesnt get very good gas mpg anyway
Impracticle ugly coupe. Might as well get a sedan.
Really cheap small Honda Fit/Toyato Matrix type... basic level does not really satisfy.

where is the car with versatility that is between? Not super basic or obnoxious SUV? Between Honda Fit and Acura MDX? The CR-V just plain sucks for comfort and fun, the stereo is made for middle aged women who could care less.

Suburu has the only "middle" wagon type cars, the Outback and Forester. The market is wide open.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Racer

After all.. shame on Honda!
Old 04-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
TSX byitself should be a winner. Very high reviews from European press against newer rivals for 6 year old car. If they managed to put atleast 150bhp and 260 ft-lb of torque low down the rpm. It should provide enough highway passing speeds against larger V6 rivals. As i have experianced diesel power of diesel landcruiser vs Petrol version.

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive...-design-award/
The new Honda Accord Tourer for Europe has won the 51st international 'red dot' design award in the Transportation category. The ceremony will take place on June 23 in Essen, Germany
http://cars.uk.msn.com/Research/arti...mentid=5991400
If you’re a company car driver, choosing the Accord Sport GT is a wise move. Carbon emissions are low at 145g/km compared to the BMW 320d ES on 153g/km and the Audi A4 1.9 TDI with 152g/km. Company drivers will pay tax on 19% of the Accord’s list price making it a sensible yet sporting alternative to the petrol cars.
Would we buy it?
It is not often that a flagship car also happens to be our best buy, but in the Accord’s case we will make an exception. The Sport GT may be the most expensive version but this is the most rounded, well-specced Accord yet. And with prices that make the Mercedes C-Class and BMW 3-Series look hugely over-priced, it proves you can have a premium car without the premium.
http://www.carpages.co.uk/honda/hond...2-16-04-05.asp
The diesel engine is exceptionally refined combining responsive acceleration with low engine noise and vibration. It is also economical returning 52.3 on a combined cycle with CO2 emissions of 143 g/km. Some members of the press defy to you to know that it is a diesel but of course diesel engines have different characteristics to petrol engines and yes you do know its a diesel but it is undoubtedly a class leading one. It is very quiet on the move and only on starting the engine with the window down do you hear the characteristic diesel chatter putting both BMW's 4-cylinder 2.0 litre and Mercedes-Benz's 5-cylinder 270 CDI engines to shame
http://www.dieselforecast.com/Articl...?articleID=407
One interested party even left a note on the dashboard addressed to the vehicle.

“I’ve seen you driving around, and I’ve heard that you are one of the quietest diesels on the road! ... Are there any plans to bring you to the United States. How can I learn more about you?”