What are the things you don't like about your new TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 01:54 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the things you don't like about your new TSX?

I would like to hear from actual owners who drive their car daily and not half hour test drivers about some features on the 2009 TSX that they don't like or would like to have changed.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Advanced

Can't help you out here, but great idea for a thread, I asked the exact same question in the 1G forum before I bought my 2008 2 weeks ago. It was useful. With the 09 being so new though it'll be hard for owners to have as strong of an opinion. But should help some!
Old 06-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Racer

Hard to complain my Tech Model to date, im loving the car.

If i were to have some requests i would request:

- compatability with ALL ipods via USB
- anti-glare filter on navi cover
- get rid of the tan trim in the ebony interior trims (rear deck lid and interior roof)
- keyless infared ignition
- more leg room to get your feet in & out when entering through the rear passenger doors
- digital mph (not the average) option in dash display

Other than those small items the car is great!
Old 06-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Advanced

An inside release for the gas door!
Old 06-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I love the car and have only minor quibbles that are hardly worth mentioning:

- iPod disconnects if you touch it
- no interior button to open fuel door
- back seat legroom is tight if anyone over 5'10 is in front
- poor rear visibility for parallel parking
- no push button start, which every other luxury car has these days (even Altimas have it!)
- lame grand touring all-season OEM tires instead of ultra high performance all-season ones
- some body roll on corners
- premium fuel only
- have to remove several bolts and a metal plate from undercarriage to change oil
- when remotely locking doors, confirmation beep volume is too low
- voice commands are not always understood by car
- manual shifter grip is a tad bit small
Old 06-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Craig-D
- have to remove several bolts and a metal plate from undercarriage to change oil
Really, havent had to change oil yet but this might mean i cant bring my car to jiffy lube or similar place without having them hassle me about the extra labor.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ill45
Really, havent had to change oil yet but this might mean i cant bring my car to jiffy lube or similar place without having them hassle me about the extra labor.
I haven't had to change the oil yet either, but the procedure is in the owner's manual. You weren't really going to take your brand new Acura to Jiffy Lube anyway were you? My dealer quoted me $30 bucks for oil changes when the time comes. What's that, $10 more than Jiffy Lube charges? Well worth ithe extra expenditure to make sure no one f**ks up your car.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Racer

I haven't had to change the oil yet either, but the procedure is in the owner's manual. You weren't really going to take your brand new Acura to Jiffy Lube anyway were you? My dealer quoted me $30 bucks for oil changes when the time comes. What's that, $10 more than Jiffy Lube charges? Well worth ithe extra expenditure to make sure no one f**ks up your car.

I just just using jiffy as a reference to getting oil changed, the dealer is less than 1 mile away from my place so i always go there for all my services.. i was just thinking that the extra peice of metal blocking the drain plug would mean more charges during an oil change.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:33 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Noticed

The things I have noticed since owning the car are the following:
1) The glare of the center display screen
2) The Electric steering is kinda wierd
3) Sun Visors don't extend
Old 06-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Race Director

i thought the reason why acura when to non-touch screens was to get the screen to be less dirty and they put the navi more inside to reduce glare?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Racer

I'll be picking mine up tommorow...that ipod thing is making me nervous, will a 3rd gen ipod work or no?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Racer

woops, I also wanted to ask if they even make a usb cable for the 3rd gen, anybody know? lol
Old 06-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by patcracks
I'll be picking mine up tommorow...that ipod thing is making me nervous, will a 3rd gen ipod work or no?
There's nothing to worry about. If you plug in your iPod in the center console and leave it alone, it's fine. Mine just disconnects whenever I pick it up while still connected. It reconnects after I unplug it and then plug it back in. That may very well be a bug specific to only my car.

The owner's manual has a list of the compatible iPods. My 1st gen. Nano is on the list and works fine. Aren't all iPods connected to a computer via USB cable? If a cable came with the iPod, that's what you use to hook into the TSX. If there are generations of iPods that didn't use USB to connect to computers, it's safe to assume they won't be compatible.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Racer

Mine came with a firewire cable : (
Old 06-14-2008, 04:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
i was just thinking that the extra peice of metal blocking the drain plug would mean more charges during an oil change.
FWIW, the first gen cars have a plastic hatch covering the drain plug. Its part of the underbody airflow management and a major contributor to the great highway mileage. This feature is nothing new to the TSX
Old 06-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine came with a firewire cable : (
Colin, correct me, the '09 comes with a USB connector on a short cable ... but DOESN'T come with a dock connector adapter? Well, that would be one for my "sucks list."
Old 06-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Racer

I agree davidspalding, maybe when and if acura calls me I will tell them that and hopefully the problem will resolve itself! : )
Old 06-15-2008, 09:28 AM
2nd Gear

I must also agree:
the confirmation beep when you lock the doors is so low, you can barely hear it.
the computer doesnt understand voice commands easily.
I wish there was a bit more HP than 200.. 250 would be nice.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Cruisin'

I have a 3gen Ipod and the only time it comes out of the car is to add more music to it. When I get a call the music stops of course but after hang up it picks up right where it left off.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Racer

gbc so your ipod works? mine is the one with the scroll wheel and the 4 buttons above it, Im still getting the unsupported ver error and i am using the aux jack in the mean time.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Catman
An inside release for the gas door!
How do you open the gas door then?
Old 06-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JSLTSX07...When your doors are unlocked, all you have to do is just press on the gas door and it pops open...
Old 06-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 09TSX
JSLTSX07...When your doors are unlocked, all you have to do is just press on the gas door and it pops open...

everytime i do this on my crystal black TSX i leave a finger print on the paint
Old 06-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Racer

ill45...This is where it would have helped if you would have waited for the Diesel..less fill ups *laughing* Second best solution...PWP I must agree that I am not sure whats the advantage of having taken away the inside release...
Old 06-15-2008, 11:35 PM
7th Gear

I'm loving my navi 09, had it for about 3 weeks. Very few complaints but I've got a couple I suppose:
-as far as I know, there's no way to make the audio screen come up by default instead of the navigation screen. If you don't push the OK button when you start the car, the whole screen just turns off. When I'm just driving around my town, I'd much rather (have the option to) have the audio come up first, then switch to navigation if I need to know where I'm going.
-the beep when locking the car is too quiet.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Racer

maks327...R U serious? For me, the quieter 'beep' is my favorite I hate the large 'horns' blaring when people lock their door....ours is more subtle and not so obvious. Its nice when you are in quiet residential area at night.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:53 PM

I often just lock with one button-press, or with the interior master lock methods. (I'm relying on the beep/chirp less and less.) And I do like that the 1GEN beep is clear, but not attention-grabbing.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:57 PM
7th Gear

Yeah I guess I'll just get used to the quiet beep. And yeah, it is great for quiet areas, but if theres much going on outside and you've already walked a few steps, you can barely hear it if at all.

Oh and some are saying the 2G is even quieter than the 1G, though I haven't heard of anyone doing a direct comparison.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Advanced

1G is quiet too (the beep that is), I liked the fact that my Accord would sound the horn so if I needed to find the car in a parking lot I could once I was close enough. The beep isn't loud enough.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:31 AM
4dr & I like it that way

strong engine vibrations at idle that I can feel in the wheel, shifter, seat, and all the way out to the exhaust. two dealers now have told me this is normal
Old 06-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Advanced

I did compare the 1G and 2G in terms of engine noise, and I think that the 2G is much quieter.

In terms of road noise, I am not as sure.. I would say the the 2G is very quiet - sometimes I don't know if the engine is on or not...
Old 06-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Davediego
strong engine vibrations at idle that I can feel in the wheel, shifter, seat, and all the way out to the exhaust. two dealers now have told me this is normal
I'm not getting that at all. Mine is so quiet and smooth at idle that I have thought I stalled it at times when I in fact I didn't. I have to look at the tach to make sure it's still running. So it is definitely not normal. You may have a bad engine mount. I'd have the dealer take a look at them.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by terpfan29
1G is quiet too (the beep that is), I liked the fact that my Accord would sound the horn so if I needed to find the car in a parking lot I could once I was close enough. The beep isn't loud enough.

If you need to find your car just hold the red panic button on your key.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MrTee12
I was just about to say that. As far as the beep is concerned i know some people like the louder chirp i believe found on Benz and BMW which is loud enough to hear from afar. I wish the beep on the TSX was adjustable in terms of volume... then we could all be happy.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by MrTee12
If you can't find "the element" in a parking lot (not that many '09 TSX' out there), you do indeed need to hit the panic button.
I was just about to say that. As far as the beep is concerned i know some people like the louder chirp i believe found on Benz and BMW which is loud enough to hear from afar. I wish the beep on the TSX was adjustable in terms of volume... then we could all be happy.
If the confusing language in the manual(s) is to be believed, the "beep" is created by the horn. If so, an option to select "horn" vs. "beep" in the driver configuration would be a win-win. Dad (Driver 1) might want the horn, Mom (Driver 2) prefers the beep.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Advanced

Rear decklid is the color of the roofliner. Should be Black!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
- iPod disconnects if you touch it
- no interior button to open fuel door

You serious?
Old 06-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jdimase821
Rear decklid is the color of the roofliner. Should be Black!!!!!!!!!
You don't want that to be black. Do you have any idea what the sun would do to that after a few years? Be glad they didn't make it black. After the sun faded it to some god-awful color, then you'd be cursing Acura for not thinking ahead about the effects of sun-fading by making a black rear shelf.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed

You serious?
Serious as a heart attack. My iPod disconnected 3 times when I tried to pick it up while it was in the console to show someone how and where it was connected to the car. I had to unplug it and plug it back in to get the car to recognize it again. Yet when it's laying in there, it never disconnects, even over harsh bumps. That may be particular to just my car, as opposed to all of them. As for the fuel filler door, there is indeed no inside release button. Instead, the filler door is unlocked whenever the driver's door is unlocked. One must then push on the right side of the filler door and then it pops out. This is annoying for two reasons: one, I have to tell the gas station attendant what to do every time I get gas (they keep trying to pry it open as if it failed to open from the inside); and two, once they do get it open there are always fingerprints on it from the push.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Serious as a heart attack. My iPod disconnected 3 times when I tried to pick it up while it was in the console to show someone how and where it was connected to the car. I had to unplug it and plug it back in to get the car to recognize it again. Yet when it's laying in there, it never disconnects, even over harsh bumps. That may be particular to just my car, as opposed to all of them. As for the fuel filler door, there is indeed no inside release button. Instead, the filler door is unlocked whenever the driver's door is unlocked. One must then push on the right side of the filler door and then it pops out. This is annoying for two reasons: one, I have to tell the gas station attendant what to do every time I get gas (they keep trying to pry it open as if it failed to open from the inside); and two, once they do get it open there are always fingerprints on it from the push.

Yea, I see what your talking about. It sucks that you can't pump your own gas in Jersey. Now you have to worry about someone possibly breaking off gas door or whatnot. When I first got my TSX I was doing the same thing. I was trying to pry the gas door open. I didn't know I had push the unlock button. My 06 Accord had the gas door release button inside the car. When I got my TSX I was wondering why they didnt have that feature. But now I know I can simply use push the unlock/lock button instead.

This is a bit annoying. I'll be fine once I get used to it. Oh yeah, my car is black too and the fingerprints thing is unavoidable .

Quick Reply: What are the things you don't like about your new TSX?