AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TSX (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/)
-   -   Weird quirks with my car (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/weird-quirks-my-car-974963/)

Matt Lumpkins 11-18-2018 03:45 AM

Weird quirks with my car

There are several things that have been bothering me about my car. They are small things.

1. The brake lights on the trunk : they do not fully match up. It looks like the trunk isn't quite closed, but it is. How do I fix that? I know it is OCD and not very noticeable, but it bothers me because the car is mint and then theres that.

2. Trunk does not pop. The trunk button inside the car quit working. Also there is a button on the trunk itself that does not work. The only way to open the trunk is for me to use the key click, and that worries me because what if I lose that?

3. The rear seats do not fold down to have more trunk space. There are two little handles to pull. I pulled the ever living shit out of them today trying to pack my DJ gear into the trunk. It was a real pain in the ace.

I bet I can find some more. I just wanted to go ahead and get this thread rolling and see what the experts say. I like this forum a lot, everyone is cool, so thank you for that.

fbt 11-18-2018 10:17 AM

1. Are the gaps good around the trunk? If not then it's just a matter of getting it realigned If they are good, then it's a good sign the car has been hit and fixed badly.
2. You or your mechanic need to diagnose the wiring and switches to the trunk
3. I don't know, but I would look for something that is jamming the seats. Pull the cushions out and look it over. Might be related to a previous accident and the seats aren't in straight.

Matt Lumpkins 11-18-2018 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by fbt (Post 16334762)
1. Are the gaps good around the trunk? If not then it's just a matter of getting it realigned If they are good, then it's a good sign the car has been hit and fixed badly.
2. You or your mechanic need to diagnose the wiring and switches to the trunk
3. I don't know, but I would look for something that is jamming the seats. Pull the cushions out and look it over. Might be related to a previous accident and the seats aren't in straight.

Yep. The car has been hit before. It has a clean title, and the door is what got hit on the drivers side. It runs fine.

Okay so so I guess I should take it to a mechanic? I’d rather fix this stuff myself because it is small stuff. Not really sure how though.

Richie Roads 11-18-2018 10:32 PM

3. 2012 TSX here. To fold the left rear seat, I have to pull the release (with my right hand) and pull down the seat (with my left hand) at the same time.

Matt Lumpkins 11-18-2018 10:43 PM

Thank you for your response. So there are those two release levers, and neither one of them will budge. It feels like they are welded to the car. I pulled them really hard and nothing happened, not even a click or a rattle or anything. It was frustrating. I will try what you said though, maybe I can get it to work if I pull on the seat.

macuratsx 11-19-2018 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Lumpkins (Post 16334707)
There are several things that have been bothering me about my car. They are small things.

1. The brake lights on the trunk : they do not fully match up. It looks like the trunk isn't quite closed, but it is. How do I fix that? I know it is OCD and not very noticeable, but it bothers me because the car is mint and then theres that.

2. Trunk does not pop. The trunk button inside the car quit working. Also there is a button on the trunk itself that does not work. The only way to open the trunk is for me to use the key click, and that worries me because what if I lose that?

3. The rear seats do not fold down to have more trunk space. There are two little handles to pull. I pulled the ever living shit out of them today trying to pack my DJ gear into the trunk. It was a real pain in the ace.

I bet I can find some more. I just wanted to go ahead and get this thread rolling and see what the experts say. I like this forum a lot, everyone is cool, so thank you for that.

Regarding your issue with the trunk switches... there is an option in your car for Valet parking where you can actually switch off the external trunk releases, leaving your key as the only way to open the trunk. If you open your glove compartment in front of the passenger seat, inside on the left, there is a little switch. Try flipping that switch and then trying the trunk switches. That should fix it. That switch, when ON, disables the trunk button on the door and on the trunk itself, to avoid Valet drivers (assuming they have the Valet key) cannot access your trunk. Let me know if that works!

Matt Lumpkins 11-19-2018 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by macuratsx (Post 16335354)
Regarding your issue with the trunk switches... there is an option in your car for Valet parking where you can actually switch off the external trunk releases, leaving your key as the only way to open the trunk. If you open your glove compartment in front of the passenger seat, inside on the left, there is a little switch. Try flipping that switch and then trying the trunk switches. That should fix it. That switch, when ON, disables the trunk button on the door and on the trunk itself, to avoid Valet drivers (assuming they have the Valet key) cannot access your trunk. Let me know if that works!

got it! I flipped it to “on” and it worked like a charm. Thank you!

macuratsx 11-19-2018 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Lumpkins (Post 16335364)

got it! I flipped it to “on” and it worked like a charm. Thank you!

Great! No problem, I had the same issue when I bought my TSX and I found that answer online as well.

RTM 11-19-2018 03:18 PM

1. The brake lights on the trunk : they do not fully match up. It looks like the trunk isn't quite closed, but it is. How do I fix that? I know it is OCD and not very noticeable, but it bothers me because the car is mint and then theres that..

There is a way to adjust this. The hinges have slotted holes for left right and in out (i think, never done it, but factory svc book says so) Then there are adjustments on the back top edge of the trunk deck. Finally you can move the striker

2. Trunk does not pop. The trunk button inside the car quit working. Also there is a button on the trunk itself that does not work. The only way to open the trunk is for me to use the key click, and that worries me because what if I lose that?.

You have an outside button? I don't think I do, never seen it. What year is yours again? Someone else helped with the valet I see.

3. The rear seats do not fold down to have more trunk space. There are two little handles to pull. I pulled the ever living shit out of them today trying to pack my DJ gear into the trunk. .

When these are in (locked), they should be flush with the body around them. There is a short sheathed cable between the pull tab and the latch on the seat back (think bike brake cables). IF nothing happens, maybe the cable is broken worn or jammed. It may all be hidden behind a cover which needs removal first.

Matt Lumpkins 11-20-2018 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by RTM (Post 16335454)
There is a way to adjust this. The hinges have slotted holes for left right and in out (i think, never done it, but factory svc book says so) Then there are adjustments on the back top edge of the trunk deck. Finally you can move the striker

You have an outside button? I don't think I do, never seen it. What year is yours again? Someone else helped with the valet I see.

When these are in (locked), they should be flush with the body around them. There is a short sheathed cable between the pull tab and the latch on the seat back (think bike brake cables). IF nothing happens, maybe the cable is broken worn or jammed. It may all be hidden behind a cover which needs removal first.

Yeah the trunk can be opened from the outside under certain circumstance, which I think is if the doors are unlocked if I am not mistaken.

Thanks! Yep figured out the trunk button, one down.

I do not quite understand the hinges. I looked at the part of the trunk at the top, where is connects and locks. Didn't see anything.

Terdbath 11-26-2018 03:57 PM

There are 2 levers to pull to get the rear seats down. It a weird process but need one hand in the trunk to pull the lever under the rear deck and one in the rear seat passenger area to pull up the lever on the seat back.

RTM 11-26-2018 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Lumpkins (Post 16335739)
Yeah the trunk can be opened from the outside under certain circumstance, which I think is if the doors are unlocked if I am not mistaken.

Where is your button to open the trunk?

kixo 11-27-2018 12:14 AM

One advantage for this system is that you can completely lock out the trunk so no one can access it (well, unless they take a crowbar to it).

1. Disable the trunk releases with the switch in the glove compartment. I think both the interior and exterior button releases are disabled.
2. Lock the glove compartment
3. Lock the rear seat access

Now the trunk can only be opened with the remote. I do this when I hide valuables in the trunk. It would take some work by a thief to override the lockouts. It also prevents access when someone uses the gray valet key.

Unfortunately, with keyless ignition, this advantage doesn't exist with the TLX.

Matt Lumpkins 12-03-2018 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by kixo (Post 16338887)
One advantage for this system is that you can completely lock out the trunk so no one can access it (well, unless they take a crowbar to it).

1. Disable the trunk releases with the switch in the glove compartment. I think both the interior and exterior button releases are disabled.
2. Lock the glove compartment
3. Lock the rear seat access

Now the trunk can only be opened with the remote. I do this when I hide valuables in the trunk. It would take some work by a thief to override the lockouts. It also prevents access when someone uses the gray valet key.

Unfortunately, with keyless ignition, this advantage doesn't exist with the TLX.

That is awesome to know! How do I lock the glove? I did not know you could do that! My friend and I did discover the rear seat access lock though when we were installing my subs, which was funny because that is why I couldn't open that. I want to know how to do the trunk lock! That sounds like a great thing to have and I will definitely be using that!

antisocial 12-04-2018 05:50 PM

There should be a lock cylinder on the glove box door, near the handle. Use your key in it to manually lock/unlock the glove box. Regarding the folding down of the rear seats, the release handles are mounted inside the trunk, it is rather awkward to operate them in a sense that you have to pull the release handle inside the trunk with one hand, then push the seat forward with the other hand. All while having the trunk and at least one rear door open, while you kinda straddle your car sideways. Crafty folk may have been known to keep a shortened broomstick in the trunk to push forward on the seatback through the trunk, instead of the funky reacharound I described above.