Weird noise and sluggish acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 12:53 PM
pri
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird noise and sluggish acceleration

Hey Guys,

Been having this weird noise recently coming from underneath the dash. Specifically, it would be under the steering wheel column or in that general area. Sounds like an old cassette player (best way i can describe it) or random scrolling sound. Its intermittent but it drives me NUTS! Sometimes it goes for a few seconds and other times for 15-20 min. Can't seem to figure out what it could be. Any ideas??

Also, I have noticed that the acceleration is sluggish in my TSX. I recently changed the spark plugs but can't figure out what could be causing it. It starts slow from stop and then once it goes its fine for the most part. Sometimes I can tell its sluggish when I try to overtake someone on the highway. Any clue what the cause of this may be?

I have a 2011 Tech and its got around 168k miles on it (I drive a lot :p)

Thanks
Old 09-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Is this a 4 cylinder?

Any clips of the sound?
Old 09-11-2016, 07:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
Is there a check engine light on?

Why did you change spark plugs? What type of plugs did you replace them with?

When is the last time you did an air filter change?
Old 09-11-2016, 10:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Maybe one of the new spark plugs is mis-firing? Or not firing at all.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:05 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Under what conditions do you hear the sound?
Old 09-13-2016, 11:31 AM
pri
10th Gear

Originally Posted by t3hhcaptain
Is this a 4 cylinder?

Any clips of the sound?
I don't have any clips of the sound. It sounds like when you first put a floppy disk into the drive from back in the day. when its trying to read the floppy disk. I will try to record a sound today.

Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
Is there a check engine light on?

Why did you change spark plugs? What type of plugs did you replace them with?

When is the last time you did an air filter change?
I changed the spark plugs because my acura dealership told me they haven't been changed in 150k miles and needed to be changed. However they wanted to charge me 280 bucks. So I did it myself. I changed the air filter out when I changed the spark plugs. I replaced them with NKG Iridium spark plugs. I think those are the OEM ones that came out as well. There are no check engine lights.

Originally Posted by WheelMcCoy
Maybe one of the new spark plugs is mis-firing? Or not firing at all.
How would I figure out if this is the case?

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Under what conditions do you hear the sound?
The sound happens randomly. It can go on for seconds or last 15-20 min. It is not related to the A/C or anything. Tried turning the A/C off and still persisted.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:43 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Your car will throw a check engine light if it was detecting a misfire.

You could also check your spark plugs and look at the color on all 4. They should all look even. There are plenty of guides on the internet to reference for how to judge how your engine is performing based on your spark plugs.

Check all your inlet hoses and make sure you have no vacuum leaks (my OEM hose was cracking where the hardline PCV hose attached)

Did you do the normal 100K service? Might wanna adjust your valve clearance, they could have gotten sloppy at this point,
Old 09-13-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
be wary! ticking noise can indicate a spark plug ready to eject!!!
Go back and check your work, especially the torque settings on each PLUG!!!!!!!!!!!!

(This sounds the most PLAUSIBLE, as you recently did work on the engine and you're getting poor acceleration. Plus, the tapping, or floppy disk noise.)
The following users liked this post:
pri (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 02:26 PM
pri
10th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
be wary! ticking noise can indicate a spark plug ready to eject!!!
Go back and check your work, especially the torque settings on each PLUG!!!!!!!!!!!!

(This sounds the most PLAUSIBLE, as you recently did work on the engine and you're getting poor acceleration. Plus, the tapping, or floppy disk noise.)
I did the spark plug replacement in early July. This is just a recent development that i noticed a 2-3 weeks ago. Nonetheless, I can go and check it. I don't really hear a ticking noise. The noise inside is underneath the steering wheel in that general area. I can't really pinpoint it. It literally sounds like a hard drive scrolling or a floppy disk.

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
Your car will throw a check engine light if it was detecting a misfire.

You could also check your spark plugs and look at the color on all 4. They should all look even. There are plenty of guides on the internet to reference for how to judge how your engine is performing based on your spark plugs.

Check all your inlet hoses and make sure you have no vacuum leaks (my OEM hose was cracking where the hardline PCV hose attached)

Did you do the normal 100K service? Might wanna adjust your valve clearance, they could have gotten sloppy at this point,
I have done all the services at Acura thus far. I am even going there to get my oil changes done. I will have to ask them about the valve clearance.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:46 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
axles or cv joints then.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:12 AM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Valve lash gap specifically... when you go and ask Acura.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:04 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
valve lash gap specifically... When you go and ask acura.
+1
Old 09-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
In my 1G I had something perhaps not quite the same but the acceleration suffered intermittently (no noise under the steering wheel or anywhere else though) and this was all of sudden, not after any service or repair. At first I thought the air filter so I cleaned and lubed it (K&N) and vacuumed the air box of all debris. This worked for a day or two. Turned out to be a defective throttle position or acceleration sensor. Replacing it solved the problem. Ordered one and quick 10 minute change. However, having said this, I cannot tell you how to diagnose it to make sure this is the culprit.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:09 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Might be a little late but I think I know what the sound is coming from under your dash. It could be your heater A/C air mix motor. I have the same problem in my TSX and even my 2007 Sienna. I haven't done anything about the issue yet but I also don't notice any sluggish acceleration. Might want to get Acura to get that part checked out. I might do the same as well.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:06 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I have no experience with these engines, but I know doing a valve adjustment on my motorcycle made a night and day diffrence. Idles better and had a lot more torque. I did it myself on my bike but if I had to do it again I would gladly pay a professional.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:58 PM
Acura Fanboy

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SharangCU2
Might be a little late but I think I know what the sound is coming from under your dash. It could be your heater A/C air mix motor. I have the same problem in my TSX and even my 2007 Sienna. I haven't done anything about the issue yet but I also don't notice any sluggish acceleration. Might want to get Acura to get that part checked out. I might do the same as well.
^^^ This is the likely cause of the noise. If it sounds like a mechanical "hunting" sound, this is the common cause. These HVAC actuators consist of a motor, gear drive, and a resistive feedback surface on the bottom of the large gear. Metal fingers rub on the surface to provide a resistance value indicating the position. Over time, the grease can get thick, preventing good contact between the fingers and the resistive surface. The actuator then doesn't know where it is and keeps cycling back and forth. These actuators can be replaced or you can try to repair them yourself by disassembling the actuator and cleaning the resistive surface. If you attempt to repair this yourself, mark the motor position before removing it because if installed wrong it will turn the wrong direction.