Vibration in cabin around ~2.5K when engine braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 10:06 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Vibration in cabin around ~2.5K when engine braking

This may be more directed toward manual owners. I'm debating whether this is the way the car is or if I do have some sort or worn engine mount problem. I'm getting a high frequency vibration in certain parts of the cabin around 2.5-3k RPMS when not on the throttle. Oddly enough, higher RPMS does not have it as bad or as often. It's mainly when in second/third gear running around town at low speeds.

Symptom: Vibration in pedals, steering wheel, gear selector and other misc trim pieces when decelerating (engine braking if you will) while in gear. Accelerating does not cause vibration. The vibration feels similar to an electric razor.

To note, some vibration is acceptable in my opinion however it is getting pretty annoying. It comes and goes depending on outside/engine temp. One very interesting post I read about another (completely different manufacture/car) is a seizing caliper. I'm pretty sure one of my front calipers is sticking (not seized). Cold days the brake pedal does work well, although fast presses/releases do feel like there is a tiny void in pressure at times. When it is above 75 out there is a very annoying click/feeling like it is traveling through gravel for the first hair of pressing the pedal. I have flushed all brake fluid, replaced boots, and relubed the slider pins a few times. Torque specs are correct. Is it possible this could be causing the issue?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
Me thinks engine mounts have you examined them?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Me thinks engine mounts have you examined them?
I don't really know how to examine them because I have never replaced one. Don't really know what to look for other than obvious damage. I have a feeling I'm going to learn because I don't think the dealer is going to take me serious on this issue. I did search on the topic for my car and couldn't find any hand holding information. What would you recommend?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
K24's do kinda have a bit of resonance at 2.5K RPM.

What you're feeling *might* be semi normal. I'll let you know when I drive my manual 1st gen sometime this week. Not the exact same engine...but...similar.

Do you know if any of the engine mounts have been replaced? Often times, aftermarket (even OE replacement) mounts translate some extra resonance and vibration at specific RPM's.

Do you have an aftermarket intake/exhaust?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
also, thin metal heat shields can resonate in that rev range
Old 10-17-2017, 01:48 PM
Racer

It's at the dealer now. Went on a test drive with a tech. He was cool, commented that he thinks it's just the way the car may be but is looking into it more. He is also going to see if vibration would fall under the category of a failing part so the warranty would cover it if necessary. As a passenger I felt the vibration in the floor and door handle during the ride. If it's the way the car is I would be pretty disappointed.

No aftermarket exhaust or intake.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:59 PM
Racer

The tech said he looked at the mount(s?) and found that it was healthy. He said at the most it may have hardened with age but was not failing. He re-torqued them. It seems ~10% better. Good news is that the car got a pro's look over and was found to be in good health so I'll take it.

I looked up the mounts for our cars and there are quite a few of them. I'm not sure which he checked. I'm going to chalk this one up as if it gets worse I'll look more into it, but for now I'll live with it.

Mounts:
https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...er=50630ta0a10
Old 10-27-2017, 10:15 AM
Racer

The vibration is still there, I really dont think its normal. Anyone have a chance to comment from experience? There are no manual TSX's in the area that I could test drive. When the car is in neutral or idle there is no vibration. 2.5k to 3.5k its like there is an electric razor in the steering wheel and even worse in the pedals (resting the side of your foot on the side on the brake pedal while on the gas for example). Its apparent in higher RPMS but I don't go passed 4K very often and certainly do not cruise at that rpm.

Originally Posted by BROlando
K24's do kinda have a bit of resonance at 2.5K RPM.

What you're feeling *might* be semi normal. I'll let you know when I drive my manual 1st gen sometime this week. Not the exact same engine...but...similar.

Do you know if any of the engine mounts have been replaced? Often times, aftermarket (even OE replacement) mounts translate some extra resonance and vibration at specific RPM's.

Do you have an aftermarket intake/exhaust?
Any word on the vibration?
Old 10-27-2017, 10:19 AM

the only electric razor sound/feel i can think of is a thin metal heat shield vibrating at that exact rev range
Old 10-27-2017, 10:24 AM
Racer

Wouldn't that introduce an audible noise as well? Other than engine noise there is no rattle noise. I would think for it to be strong enough to transfer into the steering wheel/pedals it would also be accompanied by a obvious noise?
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 10:30 AM

i'm thinking in terms of "Frequency" and bouncing sound waves like what a thin vibrating metal sheet would sound like.
if you arent hearing anything, then disregard

I only felt/heard this vibrating noise when I installed an aftermarket jpipe...it resonated at just the right frequency to be audible.
but if you arent hearing anything; disregard