AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TSX (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/)
-   -   Trading down from TLX (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/trading-down-tlx-977225/)

daschwa 02-16-2019 10:19 AM

Trading down from TLX

Hi all-

A former first generation tsx owner here debating to trade down from my '15 TLX to a 2nd Gen TSX for a couple of reasons:

1. Save money, I can afford the TLX but I'm a cheapskate and thinking to get a higher mileage TSX and run it for a while (put 225K miles on my first gen)
2. Seats/Comfort. I don't like the seats in the TLX, they seem too small for me. I've never felt "comfortable" in the car. Took a 2nd Gen TSX for a test drive and it just felt bigger and seemed to have better bolsters.
3. Gas pedal. TLX went to a hanging gas pedal which has barely any resistance and is driving crazy, much prefer a floor mounted pedal.

Not trying to turn this into TLX bashing, I love the 8 speed DCT / 2.4 combo.

So question is, any things to look for on higher mileage TSX? From my research, they seem to be quite reliable. I do all of my own wrenching so understand things break but any major things to look for? Did the '09 have any bugs which got sorted out in future years?

justnspace 02-16-2019 10:34 AM

the 2nd gen TSX is literally a copy and paste of the 3rd gen TL.
and they literally copied and pasted the 1st gen power train into the 2nd gen.
Which BOTH ARE BULLETPROOF.

if you do your own wrenching, then you can inspect the car for trouble. inspect the suspension. inspect mounts, inspect things that normally break on any car.
You will know if something is majorly wrong, as you have driven a 1st gen TSX all the way to 225k miles.

fbt 02-16-2019 01:37 PM

Curiously I'm thinking of the opposite. Trade in my Sportwagon for a TLX with SH-AWD I'd miss the wagon but with all the snow and ice I'd like an AWD car.

daschwa 02-16-2019 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by fbt (Post 16383783)
Curiously I'm thinking of the opposite. Trade in my Sportwagon for a TLX with SH-AWD I'd miss the wagon but with all the snow and ice I'd like an AWD car.

That's funny, I've been looking at TSX sport wagons, they seem to hold their value well and look nice. My advice is to look before you leap with the V6 AWD TLX.

Do you have a dedicate set of winter wheels / tires? I can navigate extremely well in my FWD with a winter setup.

MrHeeltoe 02-16-2019 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16383744)
the 2nd gen TSX is literally a copy and paste of the 3rd gen TL.
and they literally copied and pasted the 1st gen power train into the 2nd gen.
Which BOTH ARE BULLETPROOF.

if you do your own wrenching, then you can inspect the car for trouble. inspect the suspension. inspect mounts, inspect things that normally break on any car.
You will know if something is majorly wrong, as you have driven a 1st gen TSX all the way to 225k miles.

That's a really interesting take on it. I think you've dramatically misused the term "literally." The 3g TL is an overgrown 1g TSX. The 2g TSX is a smaller 4th gen TL, as far as the chassis goes. The newer gen cars have a revised rear suspension that largely carried over to the TLX. So if the OP likes the TLX handling they should really like the CU2 as well, which benefits from Honda's great front wishbone suspension. The 3g TL is too bloated for it's chassis and you can see the suspension issues people have as evidence.

The engine in the 2g TSX is a K24Z3 as opposed to the K24A2 in the 1g TSX. It's the same architecture but the head is really different. They are rated for the same basic power level but honestly they have as much in common as the K24Z3 has with the K24 in the TLX.

So all that being said I think the CU2 should be a really comfortable transition for someone who had a 1g TSX and a I4 TLX. Double wishbone front an revised rear suspension, tons of mod potential as well.

I very much agree that reliability on the CU2 is sure to be strong.

And of course Heeltoe is in your corner on any of these cars! We've got experience with all the above and would be happy to field and questions at all!

www.heeltoeauto.com

fbt 02-16-2019 06:18 PM

I have snow tires but they are not studded. I also have cables. It's mostly the ice that gets me, so maybe studs is the way to go. I use the long roof to carry lumber and stuff and I know I would miss it. I've had TLX V6 loaners and liked them. It's just something I'm thinking of as we are not getting out much lately.

FLYGUY31 02-17-2019 10:02 AM

I have 2010 tech that still runs like a champ. With a 157k on it the only issue I’m having now is oil consumption. And it’s getting worse as the miles click up. I’ll be be buying a new car this spring but will hold on to my current car as a beater/work car. It’s a solid car but watch for oil burning.

daschwa 02-17-2019 11:31 AM

Thank you. Sounds like oil burning is a pretty consistent story. My 1st gen would go through roughly a quart every 3K miles, is this about what people are seeing?

In the case of buying use, I'd have to rely on seller honesty to get a gauge on oil eating habits.

FLYGUY31 02-17-2019 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by daschwa (Post 16384115)
Thank you. Sounds like oil burning is a pretty consistent story. My 1st gen would go through roughly a quart every 3K miles, is this about what people are seeing?

In the case of buying use, I'd have to rely on seller honesty to get a gauge on oil eating habits.

I just had to add a quart at 2500 mile. This down from around 3000 late last year.