TL 08 or TSX 09??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL 08 or TSX 09??

Hello,
Was looking into a new TSX premium packagae 09, but realized I can get a newTL standard model 08 for a great deal; probably the same price as a TSX premium.

SO I am debating between the two cars...which one??
Other than a 58HP increase, what else does the TL 08 have more than the TSX premium that would justify me getting an TL?

I test drove both of them, and they are fun rides, the TL being even more fun because of the increase in HP. The TL does seem to me "more of a car"...

Two cons that the TL has that I know of are the "normal driving belt" that has to be replaced for 1000$ after 5 years, and it also uses more gas....but does it really use alot more gas? Is it a gas guzzler like the Maxima, or is the TL more on par like a v6 accord?

Also, another concern I have are the vibrations in the steering wheel at speeds of 125km. Is this normal in the TL? Have you experienced this before??

Looking for your great advice between the cars..thanks
D
Old 09-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
The TSX in the end will likely be more fun because of a more tossable nature. You won't have any problems with either, but I personally like the new TSX compared to the older TL. I have worked on a lot of TLs and while they are great cars I think the 4-cyl is more simple, more economical, and just as much fun if you are not a horsepower freak.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Banned

You have to know your own mind on this one. The TL is faster in a straight line, just like the Accord V6. The TSX is faster around curves. The TL has a bigger back seat; the TSX gets much better gas mileage in the city.

I have a first-gen TSX, and I can drive it like a Honda. It's pretty good at driving around and through traffic, and I can squeeze through my neighborhood's narrow city streets without any trouble. I'm sure I would drive less aggressively with a TL. The steering on the new TSX doesn't have the same feel as the first gen, so I don't know if you can drive it the same way.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:38 PM
The Anti Avatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great advice given above.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either car. Its just a question of what will make you the happiest. Getting the biggest discount off of sticker price or the car itself.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:48 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
TL 08 or TSX 09?

Good question, I thought about both, too. I drove a TL-S and then the 09 TSX. I felt like there was a lot more room between me and the dash in the TSX. Also, my salesperson is a big guy too and we weren't on top of each other in the TSX whereas I felt closed in with the TL.

I do a lot of city driving and I knew there'd be a fair amount of difference in city mpg so I felt the TSX would suit me better in that regard.

Big difference in price between the S and the TSX Tech, where a base TL would be closer. They're both very capable cars with contemporary styling, but I favored the design elements of the new TSX only because the TL has been around for a while now. I'm even almost kinda getting used to the fugly grill on the 09 TSX.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
I too test drove both. I was trading a V6 Accord. I test drove the TL and was impressed. I then test drove the TSX and the ride was just plain FUN. The added bonus is the gas mileage that the TSX offers. One other consideration is your insurance premium. The TSX is much cheaper to insure.....Best of Luck..
Old 09-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
I know I have bashed the new TSX, but I know all in all it's a good car.

I would say if you can wait, hold out until the diesel TSX comes out (doesn't come out later this year??). If I remember correctly, it is supposed to have even less horsepower, but has CONSIDERABLE torque, so the feeling of getting up and going will be even better than the current TSX.

And of course gas mileage will be better.

I would hold out if you could.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:51 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Iceman
The TSX is faster around curves.

I don't think thats always true.

Take a 07 TL with Coilovers and a stiffer rear sway bar, I'm sure it will handle just fine.

04-08 TSX > TL > 09 TSX

IMHO
Old 09-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xenonhid
I don't think thats always true.

Take a 07 TL with Coilovers and a stiffer rear sway bar, I'm sure it will handle just fine.

04-08 TSX > TL > 09 TSX

IMHO

Well you've got to account for the equivalent.
Put coilovers and a stiffer rear sway bar on a TSX and I'm sure it will handle better than a TL with the same.

I see what you are saying, though.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
...the diesel TSX comes out (doesn't come out later this year??).
The diesel is supposed to be out at the end of next year as a 2010.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:33 AM
Instructor

TL drives like an Accord in the end, IMHO and no offense to any TL owner (that's how I feel about it).. though it does have a sleek exterior. The TSX is a fun car, and in the long run that will matter the most not the looks of the car (I know TL looks more sleekier than the TSX)...

Therefore, I think the TSX is a great-fun car to drive.. The TL doesn't get me going around saying 'WOW' like the TSX..

Apart from the fun-factor, remember the TL is built in the US and it has some serious build issues like non-stop rattles/squeaks, fake wood trim and what not.. the dealer told me that car has been discussed in every Acura conference for its poor built quality and recurring issues. The TSX on the other hand is built in Japan and you know what I mean when I say that.. it's solid, no rattles/squeaks and long term wise it will hold on better than an American TL... and handling wise, the TSX is better than TL any day and it's very obvious when you test drive both the cars...

Think about it.. don't get fooled by the looks, do some research, talk to people and then make your call...

Good luck!

Last edited by deznium; 09-03-2008 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:31 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I had a 08 TL as a loaner car while my 06 tsx was being serviced. I put 500+miles on the car. it was nice but it made me love my tsx even more than I already do. I think the main reason is I prefer manual transmission.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Colin
The diesel is supposed to be out at the end of next year as a 2010.
Suck.

Nvm.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Instructor

deznium,
Those are interesting tips you gave, thanks, but I must admit that is the first time I ever heard of TL's being made in the USA. I've been told all Acuras are made in Japan...
Also, from other research I have made from both TSX users and TL users, most say the TL is a superior car in performance, and handling (liquid based steering fluid?). Doesn't the TL have a better resale value too?
Mabye I've missed my research some what but can you give me the links or material you read about the TSX 09 and/or the TL 08 performance and concerns by Acura meeting tables?

anyways, most people say I cannot go wrong with either car, both are fun, and have the Honda reliability reputation.

The only real cons that still BUGS me about the TL are the vibrations in the steering. I test drove a new car without NAVI. It had 500km on it. After 125km/hr, the steering wheels was vibrating slightly...to me that is a warning sign....

Does the TSX also have the same or other strange car performance issues like this??

thanks, D
Old 09-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Advanced

I've NEVER had my steering wheel vibrate at 125km..maybe 125mph but I don't drive that fast. The TSX/TL are both very smooth cars, anything vibrating at 125km/h should be checked out..
Old 09-03-2008, 11:28 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by designer
but I must admit that is the first time I ever heard of TL's being made in the USA. I've been told all Acuras are made in Japan...
Ummmm..No.

Acura TL Becomes First U.S. Model Exported To China By Japanese Luxury Nameplate

Number one Acura seller goes on-sale in September

Acura took a major step forward in its global plans with the export of the first U.S.-made Acura vehicle to China, the company announced today.

Scheduled to go on-sale beginning in September at newly constructed Acura dealerships in key metropolitan areas of China, the first shipment of TL performance luxury sedans was off-loaded at the port of Shanghai earlier this week. Designed, developed and assembled in the United States, the sporty TL is the number one selling Acura model in the U.S., and will be sold alongside the top-of-the-line RL luxury sedan.

"We are excited about Acura's expansion to China this year and look forward to launching the brand in Japan in 2008," said John Mendel, senior vice president automobile operations. "China is one of the fastest growing markets in the world and we are confident that Acura will be at the forefront of China's luxury automobile market."

Sales of three thousand Acura vehicles are projected during the first twelve months of operation.

The Acura TL is assembled exclusively in the United States in Marysville, Ohio and is also exported to Canada and Mexico.
The RL and TSX are made in Japan. The TL, MDX and RDX are all made in the US or Canada.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Banned

deznium,
Those are interesting tips you gave, thanks, but I must admit that is the first time I ever heard of TL's being made in the USA. I've been told all Acuras are made in Japan...
The Acura TL is built in Marysvillle, Ohio.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_TL
Old 09-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Cruisin'

Do note that the 09 TL is coming out soon.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Team Owner

Colin,

...do you know if the rumors I've read about are true saying that there may be a V6 Diesel in the year 2010, or have you heard any speculation about it? (not necessarily 2010 model year, maybe 2011 model year)

Just curious.
That would rock.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:16 PM
on to a CRZ

Originally Posted by divac
Do note that the 09 TL is coming out soon.

anyway to add to the thread, i like the looks of the TL more but once inside the car i like the size of the TSX more. Ive never driven a TL though so i cant comment on driving dynamics...
Old 09-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Team Owner

Hell, nvm.

Just spend an extra 10K and get a 2009 A4!!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
Colin,
...do you know if the rumors I've read about are true saying that there may be a V6 Diesel in the year 2010, or have you heard any speculation about it? (not necessarily 2010 model year, maybe 2011 model year)

Just curious.
That would rock.
The only thing I know about the V6 diesel is that they're going to do one. I haven't heard any rumblings about a timetable for it's release. IMO, they better get going with this but I'm going to bet that the hold up is the automatic transmission.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:53 AM

deznium,
<snip> most say the TL is a superior car in performance, and handling (liquid based steering fluid?). <snip>Doesn't the TL have a better resale value too?<snip>
The only real cons that still BUGS me about the TL are the vibrations in the steering. I test drove a new car without NAVI. It had 500km on it. After 125km/hr, the steering wheels was vibrating slightly...to me that is a warning sign....

Does the TSX also have the same or other strange car performance issues like this??

thanks, D

Performance? Straight line? Sure. Through the twisties? Dunno. Put someone like Ian Stewart behind the wheel on both a "slow" and "fast" autocross track stock to stock and then we'll all know.

Liquid based P/S? I'm not sure why that would make a difference, maybe it has a quicker response -vs- EPS?

Resale value? Check Black Book, an 07 TL-S tanks pretty badly at the moment, like ~60% of original MSRP after one year.

Vibration at speed? Whether it's new or 20k miles or whatever, anything that's been sitting through the summer is going to have flat-spotted tires, so, don't let that turn you off of a TL.

Bottom line is, pick the car that's right, for only you know you. But, as mentioned, the new TL will be out in a month or so...whereas the current one has been around since 04.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Colin
The only thing I know about the V6 diesel is that they're going to do one. I haven't heard any rumblings about a timetable for it's release. IMO, they better get going with this but I'm going to bet that the hold up is the automatic transmission.
Awesome!
Cool to know! Thanks!
Old 09-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Instructor

good news

Hello,
I'd like to annouce that I am the proud owner of a new TL 08 black, with grey/tan interior!

I went to the dealer and I drove the TL and the TSX09 back to back. I love both cars, but I finally realized the TL was a better ride, and the car for me at this point in my life.

Most importantly, I got the car for an amazing deal, otherwise I probably would not have bought it.
Up in Canada, prices for all cars just tend to be higher.
the TL 08 base model starts at $43,000, plus freight/shipping, and Canadian taxes the car sells at $50,900. Its shocking but true. All cars are subjected to this "highway robbery tax" (we have universal health care up here).

Anyways, long story short, lets just say I got the deal of my life, so I bought it. The car has 2km on it, brand spanking new.
Even with the cheaper TSX 09 price, I would not have been able to negotiate as low as I did for the TL. Again, ultimately it came down to the price I got, which in the long run would justify the extra gas expenditure, and timing belt replacement.
They would not budge on the NAVI package probably since there is more demand for them and they think they can sell for higher. I know for myself I wouldn't really use the NAVI...and its more of a toy then anything else as far as I'm concerned.

So i'm looking forward to my TL on Monday.

thanks for the all the super great help everyone...

Cheers, D

P.S next step is to get some black tint on the windows, and a lip on the back.....and tips??
Old 09-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Hello,
I'd like to annouce that I am the proud owner of a new TL 08 black, with grey/tan interior!

I went to the dealer and I drove the TL and the TSX09 back to back. I love both cars, but I finally realized the TL was a better ride, and the car for me at this point in my life.

Most importantly, I got the car for an amazing deal, otherwise I probably would not have bought it.
Up in Canada, prices for all cars just tend to be higher.
the TL 08 base model starts at $43,000, plus freight/shipping, and Canadian taxes the car sells at $50,900. Its shocking but true. All cars are subjected to this "highway robbery tax" (we have universal health care up here).

Anyways, long story short, lets just say I got the deal of my life, so I bought it. The car has 2km on it, brand spanking new.
Even with the cheaper TSX 09 price, I would not have been able to negotiate as low as I did for the TL. Again, ultimately it came down to the price I got, which in the long run would justify the extra gas expenditure, and timing belt replacement.
They would not budge on the NAVI package probably since there is more demand for them and they think they can sell for higher. I know for myself I wouldn't really use the NAVI...and its more of a toy then anything else as far as I'm concerned.

So i'm looking forward to my TL on Monday.

thanks for the all the super great help everyone...

Cheers, D

P.S next step is to get some black tint on the windows, and a lip on the back.....and tips??
Congrats on the TL '08... and I agree with you on the fact that the TL has a better ride than the TSX '09. But honestly, IMO it doesn't have a better ride than the TSX '08...

Enjoy the early days of a new car...
Old 09-05-2008, 04:59 PM

Congrats! Enjoy the new ride.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
congrats on the car! I have to admit I'm taking a second look at those 08 TL's with all the deals they're giving up here in Canada. There's no charge navi now you know.

Mind sharing how much you paid for the TL?

Last edited by 5thTo2nd; 09-06-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Instructor

I had a hard time bringing the NAVI TL's down in price.
I guess they figure they can sell them at higher prices since there is more demand.
All in, I got a $10K discount from the original price, all in.
If I waited until the end of September, perhaps I could have got it for slightly cheaper but also risk losing the only black one they had left.

AS speculation, I also think the resale value of the TL 08's will appreciate since the 09's are already beginning to see a major backlash, and which could inturn create a demand for the 08's, the last of a great generation.

goodluck
Old 09-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Instructor

TL is a beautiful car. When I bought my TSX a lady bought a fully loaded TL with navi and everything and was out of the dealership for 33k which is an amazing deal. The only problem is that the 09 TL is coming out in a week or two and is completely redesigned. It's on Acura's website under future vehicles. check it out.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Went to dealership to do some minor electrical work on 06 TSX. 09 TSX is fine car if it is upgraded with TL front lights and some facia/rim changes. Acura should have continued 06-08 as this the most beautiful/well proportioned car just like BMW has 1 series with 4 cylinder engine while 09 TSX should be upgraded with TL engines with slightly lower price. No one would mind $35K 300BHP 09 TSX with Navigation/tech package with 18inch rim.
There is no need for TL in Acura lineup like in the Rest of the world. There is only Honda Legend and Euro Accord. Both Made in Japan.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Instructor

The TL is a great car, but I know Acura gets a lot of complaints about torque steer in the TL because of the FWD. However, in the 09 TSX they added EPS (electronic power steering) so there is no torque steer at all.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:27 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kharateez
However, in the 09 TSX they added EPS (electronic power steering) so there is no torque at all.
fixed
Old 10-08-2008, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

I think the tl is a better option then the new tsx.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharateez
However, in the 09 TSX they added EPS (electronic power steering) so there is no torque at all.

Quote by Infamous425:

fixed

Muhahahah, lol, good one, and it appears no one noticed.