Splash Shield

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Splash Shield

Hey guys. I have been hearing weird noises under my car. I thought it was the brakes or suspension at first because it squeaks when I hit bumps and makes a grinding/dragging sound.

Well today I heard a new noise and noticed that there was a piece of plastic hanging down under my car. I took it to pep boys and they said that the whole splash shield needs to be replaced and that they do not carry the part.

I looked online and Front Engine and Fender seem to be the main part I can find. It is looking like there are multiple parts that I have to buy, but the way they were talking was like there was just going to be one.

Can someone please help link me to something that would be the correct fit? In the meantime I will continue to look. They said that I could only get it from the dealer but I do not believe that.

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
dhldriver (07-28-2022)
Old 04-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
bernardiparts
curryacuraparts

both have illustrations on the site.

I'm assuming you need the large center splash shield. Also all the clips and hardware.

Its going to be expensive...you should try and charge back whomever left it loose during your last oil change or service.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:12 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
You might look to see if it's just missing some clips/retainers and/or screws. Unless the metal splash shield is actually missing entirely.

Get familiar with the diagrams, but here is what you are looking at: https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2010...-front-fenders
jdmjustin (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by t3hhcaptain
You might look to see if it's just missing some clips/retainers and/or screws. Unless the metal splash shield is actually missing entirely.

Get familiar with the diagrams, but here is what you are looking at: https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2010...-front-fenders
I noticed when I bought my car I was missing some clips/retainers. I highly recommend getting those sorted out, as it sounds like that this is your issue. Unless the shield is too far gone.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
I recently purchased (a little over a month ago) an 09 TSX Base with 132k miles on the odometer. I was actually somewhat relieved to find the splash shield on this TSX missing when I went to service the transmission with a drain/fill x3 with MaxLife synthetic ATF which I do with every used Honda I've purchased. I say to "somewhat relieved" because it is such a PIA to remove/replace the splash shield on my 12 Honda Accord to perform a transmission service and I was not looking forward to removing the splash shield on this car for every service.

I don't know how long my TSX has been without the splash shield, but there is no perceptible road or wind noise associated with the missing shield, the car is extremely clean underneath...notwithstanding it's a 10 yr old car with >130k miles.

I will be leaving mine "as-is" without the splash shield...
Old 04-17-2019, 05:11 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jjrphs
I recently purchased (a little over a month ago) an 09 TSX Base with 132k miles on the odometer. I was actually somewhat relieved to find the splash shield on this TSX missing when I went to service the transmission with a drain/fill x3 with MaxLife synthetic ATF which I do with every used Honda I've purchased. I say to "somewhat relieved" because it is such a PIA to remove/replace the splash shield on my 12 Honda Accord to perform a transmission service and I was not looking forward to removing the splash shield on this car for every service.

I don't know how long my TSX has been without the splash shield, but there is no perceptible road or wind noise associated with the missing shield, the car is extremely clean underneath...notwithstanding it's a 10 yr old car with >130k miles.

I'm guessing you live somewhere that they don't salt the roads.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:42 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts

Not a good idea. Along with keeping the underbody bits clean, it is an integral part of regulating engine temps.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BROlando
I'm guessing you live somewhere that they don't salt the roads.
I live below the Mason-Dixon line...we do get some snow and our roads were probably salted a half-dozen to 10 times this past season

Originally Posted by ceb
Not a good idea.
We'll just have to agree to disagree...consider there's far more cars on the road without underbody covers than there are with

Originally Posted by ceb
Along with keeping the underbody bits clean, .
Underbody covers and skid plates are good for smoothing aerodynamics (underbody covers) and protection against rocks (skid plates)...they're also good for collecting mud, road grim and salt and make an excellent barrier to actually getting the underside of the vehicle clean.

Originally Posted by ceb
it is an integral part of regulating engine temps.
Never heard this before...would you mind citing an Acura reference for this? BTW...my temp gauge is always well below middle after the engine comes up to temp.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Safety Car

Anyone is obviously free to do whst they'd like...but its not smart to run without the cover.

If it was useless, it wouldn't have come on the car from the factory. Think of the cost involved in manufacturing that cover.

Factually, that cover has more purpose than you think...and I don't believe you'v actually reasoned this out. Your only "pro" for this is that its convenient for you to do fluid changes that are due between 7,500 and 30,000 miles.

Having a hand snugged oil drain plug would also make fluid changes easier...but that's not a good reason to practice that.

Removing the engine hood would also make for easier access.

Leaving the valve cover off would make valve lash service easier.

Leaving the seats out would make vacuuming essier.

Again, its your car. And I'm assuming that no matter how good of a case Acura or anyone on the internet makes...you'll leave the cover off because you feel its beneficial.

But at least give it some thought. Someone decided the cover was necessary enough to go through the exercise of designing it, testing it, manufacturing it, acquiring it for production, and installing it, and instructing their technicians on how remove/reinstall it for service, and stocking it for resale when fools forget to tighten the bolts that hold it.

Last edited by BROlando; 04-18-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Anyone is obviously free to do whst they'd like...but its not smart to run without the cover.
Then call me stupid....

If it was useless, it wouldn't have come on the car from the factory. Think of the cost involved in manufacturing that cover..
I never said it was useless...IMO, it's just as useful as the trunk hinge garnish(es) or plastic engine cover.

Factually, that cover has more purpose than you think...and I don't believe you'v actually reasoned this out. Your only "pro" for this is that its convenient for you to do fluid changes that are due between 7,500 and 30,000 miles.
Factually...Acura states the underbody cover is an aerodynamic aid. Nothing more and nothing less...and it's an aid I'll personally do without

Having a hand snugged oil drain plug would also make fluid changes easier...but that's not a good reason to practice that.
Removing the engine hood would also make for easier access.
Leaving the valve cover off would make valve lash service easier.
Leaving the seats out would make vacuuming essier.
All hyperbole and IMO makes your counterpoint look silly

Again, its your car. And I'm assuming that no matter how good of a case Acura or anyone on the internet makes...you'll leave the cover off because you feel its beneficial.
I'll not go to the expense of replacing the cover b/c its cost and inconvenience outweigh its benefit IMO

But at least give it some thought. Someone decided the cover was necessary enough to go through the exercise of designing it, testing it, manufacturing it, acquiring it for production, and installing it, and instructing their technicians on how remove/reinstall it for service, and stocking it for resale when fools forget to tighten the bolts that hold it.
I have given it plenty of thought, maybe you should do same...think trunk hinge garnishes, plastic engine covers, etc...

But hey...it's a choice. A choice which may not be for everyone...

Last edited by jjrphs; 04-18-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:58 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Then call me stupid....

I won't disagree

I never said it was useless...IMO, it's just as useful as the trunk hinge garnish(es) or plastic engine cover.

Then you know nothing about aerodynamics

Factually...Acura states the underbody cover is an aerodynamic aid. Nothing more and nothing less...and it's an aid I'll personally do without

Correct. Now if you understood how aerodynamics affected engine cooling, then you'd put the underbody cladding back on

All hyperbole and IMO makes your counterpoint look silly

Silly trumps stupid

I'll not go to the expense of replacing the cover b/c its cost and inconvenience outweigh its benefit IMO

Ignorance IS bliss

I have given it plenty of thought, maybe you should do same...think trunk hinge garnishes, plastic engine covers, etc...

And this again shows your ignorance as you seem to have no clue what that plastic engine cover does.

But hey...it's a choice. A choice which may not be for everyone...
Right. Stupid people do stupid things all the time
Old 04-20-2019, 04:55 AM
Instructor

Your post is long on supposition and short on facts. I'll ask again...please cite an Acura reference which states the underbody cover is "an integral part of regulating engine temps."

Originally Posted by ceb
Then you know nothing about aerodynamics
That's funny you question my understanding of aerodynamics...since your initial stated understanding of the underbody cover purpose was "Along with keeping the underbody bits clean, it is an integral part of regulating engine temps" doesn't even mention aerodynamics!

Originally Posted by ceb
Correct. Now if you understood how aerodynamics affected engine cooling, then you'd put the underbody cladding back on
-Aerodynamics and engine cooling are not mutually inclusive...are you suggesting otherwise?
-According to this fantasy of yours...the other 90+% of the vehicles on the road which don't have an underbody cover should be on the side of the road with their hood up and blowing steam?
-There's also this thing called a temperature gauge. Were your fantasy correct...it should be bouncing around and hovering around the Red without the underbody cover in place. Mine (temp gauge) stays planted well below half-way.

Ya know as I was performing the B13 service on our 13 RDX the other day...I notice an underbody cover is conspicuously absent. Acura must not care about "regulating engine temps" on the RDX. It is also the same (no underbody cover) on the rest of my current Honda "fleet" and every Honda I've ever owned with the exception of the 12 Accord EX/L

Here's a thought. Next time you change the oil/filter on your TSX...leave the underbody cover off and take a drive. Report back with your results.

Bottom line...produce an Acura reference to support your "chicken little, the sky is falling" claims.

Originally Posted by ceb
And this again shows your ignorance as you seem to have no clue what that plastic engine cover does
Factually...Acura's stated purpose of the engine cover is "cosmetic." Please produce an Acura reference which contradicts this.

Originally Posted by ceb
Right. Stupid people do stupid things all the time
And stupid people assert stupid things all the time...especially on internet forums
Old 04-20-2019, 08:03 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts

As intent as you are in demanding others providing valid citations for their statements, you seem to have accidentally forgotten to cite your empirical data source which compared audible and cleanliness experiment results with/without the shield. If you PM me, I can update your original post accordingly. Thank you for respecting science.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
As intent as you are in demanding others providing valid citations for their statements, you seem to have accidentally forgotten to cite your empirical data source which compared audible and cleanliness experiment results with/without the shield. If you PM me, I can update your original post accordingly. Thank you for respecting science.
Thank you for the offer to update my OP, but there won't be a need for that as both are/were qualitative observations...thus the use of adjectives "perceptible" and "extremely.".

Also...neither are/were a projection of manufacturer's claims or representations.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:56 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

You've been around long enough to know that sometimes you just can't fix stupid. Some people just won't let facts get in the way of their preconceived notions.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Thank you for the offer to update my OP, but there won't be a need for that as both are/were qualitative observations...thus the use of adjectives "perceptible" and "extremely.".

Also...neither are/were a projection of manufacturer's claims or representations.
In other words,

Old 04-20-2019, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
Some people just won't let facts get in the way of their preconceived notions.
Pot meet kettle. Again...please provide some FACTS (Acura reference) to back up your assertions above. Simple.

Originally Posted by thoiboi
In other words,
Thank you for responding to my post. However, you seem to be confused regarding the difference between "opinion" and "observation." Let me clear that up for you...

Opinion - a belief not necessarily based on fact
example - ceb believes the underbody cover is an integral part of regulating engine temps...yet he can produce no facts or reference to back up that belief

Observation - the acquisition of real information via the senses
example - my TSX is extremely clean underneath...I am able to see that
Old 04-21-2019, 12:09 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Pot meet kettle. Again...please provide some FACTS (Acura reference) to back up your assertions above. Simple.

Thank you for responding to my post. However, you seem to be confused regarding the difference between "opinion" and "observation." Let me clear that up for you...

Opinion - a belief not necessarily based on fact
example - ceb believes the underbody cover is an integral part of regulating engine temps...yet he can produce no facts or reference to back up that belief

Observation - the acquisition of real information via the senses
example - my TSX is extremely clean underneath...I am able to see that
Like I said - you can't fix stupid. Here's a link from Pelican parts. I also have several references directly from manufacturers, but they are in German and since you clearly can't do a Google search, you'd be stumped trying to use Google translate so I won't bother looking those up.

Here is an excerpt from the link above. Bolding is mine to make reading easier for you. Oh, and one other thing that you may overlooked is that not all cars were designed with underbody cladding. It wasn't until manufacturers started focusing on aerodynamics is when underbody shields came into favor and became an integral part of airflow and cooling. Once designed with the cladding, that cladding is a part of the car.

"Like most modern cars the Mercedes-Benz W204 series has a series of under body trays on the car. These trays are used for a multitude of reasons. It is important that if you remove the tray to perform work that you replace it prior to putting the car back on the road. The trays are used to protect the underbody of the car and the systems attached to it. They also keep the weather and elements out of certain areas. Some panels divert air to assist in cooling certain systems on the car. Another added benefit is that the trays aid the airflow under the car. This will help to increase your fuel economy."

The problem, of course, is that you are immune to facts. If I provided a link from Acura, then you'd say it was a different model or a different model year or a different car color or had a different radio station playing.

This will be my last post in this thread so enjoy your response.

Last edited by ceb; 04-21-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey just letting you guys know that I fixed it. The little part that was dragging ripped off clean and the little piece that was remaining, I secured it and now she’s driving great
Old 04-21-2019, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
The problem, of course, is that you are immune to facts. If I provided a link from Acura, then you'd say it was a different model or a different model year or a different car color or had a different radio station playing.
FYI this is a 2nd Gen Acura TSX forum

That you reference claims from a 3rd Party for a completely different automotive manufacturer and model says it all.

Originally Posted by ceb
This will be my last post in this thread so enjoy your response.
No, I don't think I would comment further either were I you...

Originally Posted by Matt Lumpkins
Hey just letting you guys know that I fixed it.
Congrats...lot of satisfaction performing one's own maintenance and repair.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:53 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
OP.. cheap and easy way is to zip tie what's left. Boom.

I'm with jjrphs.. fuck y'all, suck our dicks!
Old 04-23-2019, 10:01 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Also.. you fucking marooons going on about Aero and Engine Temps

Only time before the floorpan plate flys off..

The purpose of a splash shield.. is to keep splashes of water and shit from getting on your drivebelt / accessory belt.

And to collect oil from leaks
Old 08-29-2021, 01:59 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarParts.com has what you need

Hey guys. I have been hearing weird noises under my car. I thought it was the brakes or suspension at first because it squeaks when I hit bumps and makes a grinding/dragging sound.

Well today I heard a new noise and noticed that there was a piece of plastic hanging down under my car. I took it to pep boys and they said that the whole splash shield needs to be replaced and that they do not carry the part.

I looked online and Front Engine and Fender seem to be the main part I can find. It is looking like there are multiple parts that I have to buy, but the way they were talking was like there was just going to be one.

Can someone please help link me to something that would be the correct fit? In the meantime I will continue to look. They said that I could only get it from the dealer but I do not believe that.

Thanks.
carparts.com is old JC Whitney, I got replacement splash shield there for $19.99
Old 09-04-2021, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
i got sick of the many bolts on my splash shield and took mine off. It seems to have some insulation for noise reduction, but I don’t miss it. No temp or other issues, but oil changes tske less than half as ling, soooo.
jjrphs (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSXWagoneer
i got sick of the many bolts on my splash shield and took mine off. It seems to have some insulation for noise reduction, but I don’t miss it. No temp or other issues, but oil changes tske less than half as ling, soooo.
The splash shield on my 09 TSX was missing when I purchased the car. There's been another 50k+ issue-free miles put on it since. Agreed...without it, makes routine maintenance much easier.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:13 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Without the radiator splash sheild you engine gets really dirty and Dusty
Old 09-21-2021, 10:28 AM
Safety Car

I leave my lug nuts loose so that its easy to service my brakes.

everyone that thinks lugnuts are there for a purpose is stupid asf.
cu2wagon (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 11:01 AM

Old 09-21-2021, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Utter silly and non-sensical comparisons 2 years ago... and the same today.

Old 09-21-2021, 02:38 PM
Safety Car

utter silly and non-sensical comparisons 2 years ago... And the same today.

nobody can tell me what to do to my car
Old 09-21-2021, 03:24 PM
Instructor

So passionate over an unseen superficial piece, that tends to want to rid itself of the car in any number of ways...
Old 10-05-2021, 10:35 AM
8th Gear

Single strip shield

Just got one from CarParts.com, very cheap prices, it was $13.75 for a new splash shield…I also purchased a front grill assembly for $105…carparts is the old JC Whitney company
Old 10-14-2021, 08:36 AM
Safety Car

Decided to just stop putting my shirt back on because, at some point, I may need to either poop or eat spaghetti and meatballs.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Decided to just stop putting my shirt back on because, at some point, I may need to either poop or eat spaghetti and meatballs.
You sh*t your shirt when you take a dump? Dude! I would say your focus should be on remedial potty training, rather than that unseen superficial piece, that tends to want to rid itself of the car in any number of ways...
Old 10-14-2021, 09:41 AM
Safety Car

You sh*t your shirt when you take a dump? Dude! I would say your focus should be on remedial potty training, rather than that unseen superficial piece, that tends to want to rid itself of the car in any number of ways...
What of the spaghetti and meatballs then?
Old 10-14-2021, 09:52 AM

Hang on... Are you implying that you *don't* take your shirt off when you shit?

That's interesting. What purpose do you think the hooks behind the door are supposed to serve?
Old 10-14-2021, 10:17 AM
Safety Car

Hang on... Are you implying that you *don't* take your shirt off when you shit?

That's interesting. What purpose do you think the hooks behind the door are supposed to serve?
Yeah, I'm definitely not changing the way I shit, and absolutely not changing the way I interpret logic.

Burning all my shirts now. The way I see it, they removed themselves.

They:
-Do not block wind
-Slow me down when I run
-Make me less aerodynamic when I am shitting

Last edited by BROlando; 10-14-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:41 PM
8th Gear

Carparts.com

Thanks.
this is the old JC Whitney company, I get all my Acura RDX parts from them, carparts.com…very fair pricing
Old 08-26-2022, 09:58 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Need Skid plate

So can anyone give a link to where I can buy everything I need for the under splash/skid plate? Mine came off some ends are ripped so no way to put in clips. I need to know everything I need to buy - 2016 ILX