Scratch Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Scratch Removal?

What's up guys, so yesterday to my horror I woke up to scratches on my car that extends from the rear to the front passenger side of my car.

I have a black 2011 TSX and it is so noticiable. It really pisses me off and I'm pretty sure I know the culprit. It's this old lady that pushes her small cart in and out of people's driveway collecting soda cans.

My neighbors has seen her come in and out of my driveway before. My neighbors car is parked in the driveway next to mine so there isn't really any space to go in and out and somehow this stupid lady still pushed her stupid cart in.

Anyway sorry I had to rant, but can anyone recommend any good scratch removal product? I used "Scratch out" that I had purchased from Amazon a while back and it seems to get some of it out but it is still noticible.

Am I stuck having to go to a repair shop and shell out a bunch of money? Pictures below. (It really looks a lot worse than the picture would indicate, it also stretches all the way to the tire well in the front.)

http://image81.webshots.com/81/8/74/...8gMiWJY_ph.jpg <--- Bigger shot

Old 02-12-2012, 08:59 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
if the scratch goes through the paint...(ie catch a finger nail type of scratch), you're gonna have to get it fixed by a body shop. it's similar to someone keying your car. your link doesn't work BTW.

light scuffing can be taken out with a porter cable. the PC can lessen the effect, but the scratch will always be there.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 145 Posts
^^ This, buffing will remove most of the visable scratch but it will always be in the clear coat.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 267 Posts
Like TLgirl and Slowpoke, cross your fingers and hope for the best. I would personally take it to a good detailing shop and get their assessment. Sometimes you will be amazed what they can do with the right polishing compound. Worse case, call insurance and get it fixed if deductible is not too high.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Take your car to the dealership you bought it from and see if they might be nice enough to try to get it out for you...

I had a decent scratch on my fender that caught the finger nail that really bugged me 'cause it was very noticeable. I went to the dealership to buy touch up paint and one of the sales guy told me to pull my car up to the back and he got one of the guys to remove it. He put some green colored lotion looking thing on it and rubbed it into the scratch with a towel and wiped it off and the scratch was completely gone! It was smooth and you couldn't see the white line where the scratch was at and I can't tell there was ever a scratch.

I plan on going back there and asking what that thing was and see if I can buy some.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rx2010
Take your car to the dealership you bought it from and see if they might be nice enough to try to get it out for you...

I had a decent scratch on my fender that caught the finger nail that really bugged me 'cause it was very noticeable. I went to the dealership to buy touch up paint and one of the sales guy told me to pull my car up to the back and he got one of the guys to remove it. He put some green colored lotion looking thing on it and rubbed it into the scratch with a towel and wiped it off and the scratch was completely gone! It was smooth and you couldn't see the white line where the scratch was at and I can't tell there was ever a scratch.

I plan on going back there and asking what that thing was and see if I can buy some.
Yes can you please ask what it was!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:23 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Sounds like it is time for a "paint 101" discussion. A few things that hold generally true:
  • Dealerships know nothing about paint care
  • Body shops know nothing about paint care
  • If you can feel it with your fingernail, then you'll always be able to see it. It can be disguised but it won't disappear.
  • The stuff you buy in stores won't work
  • Trying to fix it yourself if you don't know what you are doing will make it worse and will exponentially increase the cost of the repair.
  • If you think a PC is a computer then you can't fix it yourself
Whenever you get a mark on your car follow the wise steps of Meatloaf
  1. Stop right there! Look at the damage closely
  2. I've gotta know right now! Is it a deposit or a scratch? Paint transfer to or from your car?
  3. Before we go any further! The answer to #2 defines your future moves
  4. Do you love me? How perfect of a repair do you want?
  5. Will you love me forever? Will an imperfect repair bother you forever?
Look at the damage closely. A magnifying glass may help to determine if it is paint transfer to your car. In general, your fingernal can't tell if it is going into a ridge (scratch) or over the edge (paint transfer to your car.)

At this point you'll need to clean the area to determine the extent of damage. After a proper wash of the whole car, I'll hit that area with 3M adhesive remover. That will remove any paint deposits or rubber/plastic bits (from the rubber bumpers on a shopping buggy) that are on the paint. Rinse well.

If it is a scratch - how deep? If it is through the clearcoat then you'll need paintwork. If it isn't through the clear then you can smooth out the edges so that the scratch becomes less evident. Scratches are only visible because the sharp edges of the scratch reflect the light. Smooth over the sharp edges and the appearance of the scratch lessens.

A lot depends on how perfect you want the repair to be.

If you haven't done paint correction before, then you may want to ask for detailer suggestions in your local forums and have them fix it.
The following 3 users liked this post by ceb:
mkeefe (02-14-2012), TLtrigirl (02-13-2012), TSXKid2010 (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 AM
CR

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
[LIST][*]Dealerships know nothing about paint care[*]Body shops know nothing about paint care[*]If you can feel it with your fingernail, then you'll always be able to see it. It can be disguised but it won't disappear.[*]The stuff you buy in stores won't work[*]Trying to fix it yourself if you don't know what you are doing will make it worse and will exponentially increase the cost of the repair.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Advanced

So I went through the scratch with my finger nails and did not feel anything so I guess that's good.

For a minor scratch, will a detailing shop be able to get rid of it or at least make it invisible?

I've never actually been to a detailing shop so I don't know the kind of work they do exactly. This is the first "nice" car I've ever owned.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:52 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by coooolwhip
So I went through the scratch with my finger nails and did not feel anything so I guess that's good.

For a minor scratch, will a detailing shop be able to get rid of it or at least make it invisible?

I've never actually been to a detailing shop so I don't know the kind of work they do exactly. This is the first "nice" car I've ever owned.
Go to your regional forum and ask for recommendations for a good place. A good place will make that invisible if it is, in fact paint transfer. But beware as there are more bad detail places out there than good. A good detail shop will make your car look better than new.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 PM
CR

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
If you feel like it.....pick up a clay bar (use lots of lube) and some Megs Scratch X. If it's as light as you make it sound, you should be able to take it right off pretty easy.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:30 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by coooolwhip
What's up guys, so yesterday to my horror I woke up to scratches on my car that extends from the rear to the front passenger side of my car.

I have a black 2011 TSX and it is so noticiable. It really pisses me off and I'm pretty sure I know the culprit. It's this old lady that pushes her small cart in and out of people's driveway collecting soda cans.

My neighbors has seen her come in and out of my driveway before. My neighbors car is parked in the driveway next to mine so there isn't really any space to go in and out and somehow this stupid lady still pushed her stupid cart in.

Anyway sorry I had to rant, but can anyone recommend any good scratch removal product? I used "Scratch out" that I had purchased from Amazon a while back and it seems to get some of it out but it is still noticible.

Am I stuck having to go to a repair shop and shell out a bunch of money? Pictures below. (It really looks a lot worse than the picture would indicate, it also stretches all the way to the tire well in the front.)

http://image81.webshots.com/81/8/74/...8gMiWJY_ph.jpg <--- Bigger shot

Stupid homeless lady! What a B***** haha jk

I found this thread because I got my first scratch on my tsx too. Luckily, it is small and on the rear bumper.

this stuff looks pretty legitimatized. For a smaller scratch I may end up just using this. I did not read the whole thread, did you end up getting it fixed? Have a good day!