Requesting advice on 2009 Acura TSX rear brakes issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:30 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Requesting advice on 2009 Acura TSX rear brakes issue

Hello All,

I have an 2009 Acura TSX that has been running problem free for 85K miles..My rear brake pads were changed around ~33K miles (due to a Honda Technical Service Bulletin).

Yesterday, I was at the Honda service center for an oil change and they stated that my rear right brake caliper was locking up leading to uneven pad tear (2mm left on the right side pads and 6mm on the left ones). As I understand 2mm is pretty low and I have to get the pads replaced at minimum.

The Honda dealership was quoting $600 for new caliper+rear brake pads+rotor resurfacing (Belair,MD area). Is that reasonable?
Would you recommend going after market? If so, any recommendations? I just need standard OEM replacements that are reliable.

If the caliper was locking up, wouldn't there be a drag and my vehicle would drift in one direction without going straight? I didn't notice any of that in my daily driving.
Any insight in to that, please?

During my previous service center visit (about 8-10 months earlier), I had my brake fluid replaced. If not done properly, could that have led to this problem?

I'm planning to visit another center for a second opinion to determine if there is really an issue. But Is there any way I can perform some checks myself? Apologies for these basic questions, but I'm not an expert at these things and do not have the tools either.

I suspect I'm getting duped and ripped off.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:48 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Not a car expert by any means, but that price isn't surprising.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:19 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
The uneven wear is more likely to be caused by a sticking slider than a sticking caliper piston. This problem is resolved with a light sanding to remove excess rust, and a dab of grease. A sticky caliper piston would likely cause excess, but even wear on both pads. You might also feel some drag on that side of the car, as well as the smell of overheating brakes.

Since your pads require replacement anyway, and you can't do the work your self, I suggest bringing the car to an independent repair shop and asking them to perform a rear brake service. Don't mention what the Honda dealer told you and see if they also discover a sticking caliper. Their cost should also be less than a dealers cost even if they determine the caliper is at fault.

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 08-21-2016 at 10:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (08-23-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 07:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Not sure what the labor rates are at an Acura dealer, but a Honda dealer quoted my wife $500 for just front pads and to resurface the rotors on her CRV. I laughed and said that money would be put to better use to buy me some more tools. OEM Parts w/25% discount will run you around $315 for a set of rear pads, 2 rear rotors, and a caliper. $600 for labor, pads, rotors, and caliper sounds reasonable.

The corner auto parts store after market parts will be around $200 for a set of pads, rear rotors, and a new brake caliper. They usually have discount codes, run specials, or have a rebate. The latest one I took advantage of for front brakes on my wife's CRV was 30% off of $50 and $15 rebate per axle if you bought a pair of rotors and a set of pads. Cost of TSX rear pads, rotors, and caliper after those discounts would be around $125.

The local mechanics shop gets their parts from the corner auto parts stores. My brother was in charge of commercial accounts at one of them and much of their business comes from shops vs DIY'ers. On the side, he would do brake jobs for friends, family, and customers for $50-$100 + cost of parts.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Originally Posted by yubeie
Hello All,

I have an 2009 Acura TSX that has been running problem free for 85K miles..My rear brake pads were changed around ~33K miles (due to a Honda Technical Service Bulletin).

Yesterday, I was at the Honda service center for an oil change and they stated that my rear right brake caliper was locking up leading to uneven pad tear (2mm left on the right side pads and 6mm on the left ones). As I understand 2mm is pretty low and I have to get the pads replaced at minimum.

The Honda dealership was quoting $600 for new caliper+rear brake pads+rotor resurfacing (Belair,MD area). Is that reasonable?
Would you recommend going after market? If so, any recommendations? I just need standard OEM replacements that are reliable.

If the caliper was locking up, wouldn't there be a drag and my vehicle would drift in one direction without going straight? I didn't notice any of that in my daily driving.
Any insight in to that, please?

During my previous service center visit (about 8-10 months earlier), I had my brake fluid replaced. If not done properly, could that have led to this problem?

I'm planning to visit another center for a second opinion to determine if there is really an issue. But Is there any way I can perform some checks myself? Apologies for these basic questions, but I'm not an expert at these things and do not have the tools either.

I suspect I'm getting duped and ripped off.

Thanks in advance.

The slide pins being siezed to the bracket, or pads being siezed to the hardware are issues that do not require a new caliper.

The caliper piston being siezed (rare), or e-brake mechanism being siezed (less rare) both require a new or rebuilt caliper.

If it does need a caliper , $600 isn't far off, including labour, new pads, and NEW rotors (don't resurface rotors). Especially with dealer, OE spec parts.

The OEM dealer spec caliper will be of better build than an aftermarket one...almost 100% of the time. OEM calipers can be found at a discount on bernardiparts or similar websites.

Aftermarket calipers will usually work fine for a few years too. I'd buy them from a parts store with a discount code. That way, you can locally redeem the lifetime warranty that almost all of them come with.

Aftermarket rotors and pads from rockauto can be advantageous because you can pick a better pad compound...and aftermarket rotors are far less expensive...even when you buy them with coated hats.

If you're not into the trouble of sourcing the above and then having it installed at a local shop for not much less than $600 total...then just let the dealer do it.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
It may be less expensive and more advantageous to buy an aftermarket pair of rear rotors. Bring them with you and have them install them along with their new pads and caliper.

New blank rear rotors from rockauto range from $7 to $35ish each. Buy cheap rotors. Choose ones with a coating if you'd like. I hate seeing rusted hats...and the OE rotors come coated to prevent that.

Resurfacing ONE rotor is probably close to $50 at the dealer.

I never resurface rotors. I'm surprised that service exists anymore.