Repaired rim chipping away...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 02:42 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 533 Likes on 272 Posts
Repaired rim chipping away...?

I recently had a slight collision with a deer but luckily the extent of the damage was a couple of dents in my passenger door and a rip through the clear bra from the impact. I avoided most of it thankfully but I'm doing so I also scraped my rim. Question though, I recently had to do my brakes 3 months after the rim repair. Go figure, just removing the tire chipped the rim in two spots by the lugs. This can't be acceptable, can it? They refinished the rim and it even has an orange peel effect that I'm noticing. I can't see how doing normal maintenance to a car should result in damage so I'm assuming they did it wrong.

The last image shows a good rim with no orange peel. I have to say this doesn't look good @ all.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
Take a silver sharpie and color in the chipped paint. Damage too little for a fix in my opinion learn to live with it!
The following users liked this post:
altair47 (12-21-2021)
Old 04-14-2017, 05:27 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by julius071
Take a silver sharpie and color in the chipped paint. Damage too little for a fix in my opinion learn to live with it!
I wouldn't say it's too little to fix. It was repaired back in January and we haven't even had snow this year. It just chipped and if it does that now, it's only going to get worse each day so I can't just learn to live with it. The car has 27K miles on it so I am not in that state of mind. I just don't believe this is normal and my dealership's wheel guy and another wheel repair shop said the person who did it originally did a very poor job. The body shop is going to have their vendor repair it but I am just asking here in case it doesn't fix properly what does everyone suggest. The cost to repair a rim is generally like $180 so "living with it" isn't really the correct method of thinking here.

Sorry if I sound aggressive. I do appreciate your input - just frustrated.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I wouldn't say it's too little to fix. It was repaired back in January and we haven't even had snow this year. It just chipped and if it does that now, it's only going to get worse each day so I can't just learn to live with it. The car has 27K miles on it so I am not in that state of mind. I just don't believe this is normal and my dealership's wheel guy and another wheel repair shop said the person who did it originally did a very poor job. The body shop is going to have their vendor repair it but I am just asking here in case it doesn't fix properly what does everyone suggest. The cost to repair a rim is generally like $180 so "living with it" isn't really the correct method of thinking here.

Sorry if I sound aggressive. I do appreciate your input - just frustrated.
It sounds like you found your answer to have it repaired by professionals?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Did you bring it back to the same dude to fix his crappy job?
julius071 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 09:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
The problem was likely a budget preparation job was done before the wheel was painted. Prepping for paint is just as important as painting itself. Looks to me as the paint didn't adhere as well as it should. There can be a number of reasons why, but I'll be honest, I'm no expert.

But on that note, my oem wheels get chipped up also. The paint doesn't flake off in big chunks... but chips do happen. The difference between oem painted wheels and what that guy did on yours? Proper paint prep work!
julius071 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 12:54 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Did you bring it back to the same dude to fix his crappy job?
I am this Friday since it was done through insurance due to the deer accident. However, if he can't fix it properly, I am just going to call my insurance and say I want it done by a person of my choice because two times is enough.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:56 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TacoBello
The problem was likely a budget preparation job was done before the wheel was painted. Prepping for paint is just as important as painting itself. Looks to me as the paint didn't adhere as well as it should. There can be a number of reasons why, but I'll be honest, I'm no expert.

But on that note, my oem wheels get chipped up also. The paint doesn't flake off in big chunks... but chips do happen. The difference between oem painted wheels and what that guy did on yours? Proper paint prep work!
No doubt, although none of my wheels have chips but rather knicks on them from rocks and such. It's more of an abrasion but the color is mostly still in tact. My thoughts are the same as yours though and I agree it's horrible Prep work. The orange peel alone tells me they had no clue or just didn't care.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I am this Friday since it was done through insurance due to the deer accident. However, if he can't fix it properly, I am just going to call my insurance and say I want it done by a person of my choice because two times is enough.
Totally more than fair!
Old 12-14-2021, 11:06 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Went to grocery story with my MDX and came back a massive scratch on the back bumper. Some idiots hit the back bumper with their cart. Hurts!!!