Repair or go through insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Repair or go through insurance?

Hello guys,

My girlfriend needs to get some paint repair work done on her 2011 Acura TSX. There is no dent or body damage, but there are significant scrapes on the right side of her rear bumper and a small scrape on the lower right of her trunk.

The bumper has some small areas where metal is showing, and the trunk scrape is barely (if at all) felt by the fingernail.

She was quoted at over $1100 from one franchise-type body shop and I thought the price was a bit ridiculous, but I am not experienced with body shop pricing. I am going to attempt to get some more quotes throughout the week (it is tough due to us both working)... but...

Does this seem reasonable to you guys? I attached the pictures to this thread. If it is anything over $600 I am assuming it would be best for her to through insurance? For those who have went through insurance for such repairs, did you premium go up a lot?

Thank you.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
That does sound a little high, but it might depend on where you're located. Same for insurance, as the rules that dictate how badly they can screw you for filing a claim vary widely from state to state. I'd start with the dealer if you don't have a word of mouth reference, then get a few other quotes. I wouldn't fool around with filing a claim because technically, if they won't allow a comprehensive claim (no deductible), it will be an at fault claim for her.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:06 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Step 1 - go to Autozone and buy a tub of polishing compound and a microfiber rag.

Step 2 - wash the car and very gently use the polishing compound on the affected areas.

Step 3 - take new photos and post them here.

Right now it is hard to tell what is paint transfer and what is paint damage. Oh, and there is no metal on the bumper.
The following users liked this post:
Terdbath (08-25-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 09:14 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
the trunk looks like paint transfer.. the bumper looks like some paint is damaged. I think it should be around $400 for a bumper repaint. But do what Ceb says first.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:05 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
and Im sure it happened while parked. so long as you document that it happened while legally parked, like a police report, and keep it forever, the accident is NON CHARGEABLE.

but save the proof, the police report, forever. if you change insurance they will see a claim. its up to you to prove it wasnt chargeable. again, keep police report forever.

although deductible will apply even though non chargeable.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:11 AM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Also make sure they use the correct white.
There was a slight color difference (along with a different name) when they had to change suppliers due to the Tsunami/earthquake in japan damaging the previous supplier.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:19 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by robpp
and Im sure it happened while parked. so long as you document that it happened while legally parked, like a police report, and keep it forever, the accident is NON CHARGEABLE.

but save the proof, the police report, forever. if you change insurance they will see a claim. its up to you to prove it wasnt chargeable. again, keep police report forever.

although deductible will apply even though non chargeable.
That's not quite correct and often depends on state law. In most states, the mere presence of a police report means nothing as that doesn't automatically put it in the comprehensive category. You'll need other corroborating proof like video tape evidence or disinterested witnesses.

Given some of your recent advice, it seems like you've been taking advantage of one of Colorado's newer laws.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:06 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Originally Posted by kball
Also make sure they use the correct white.
There was a slight color difference (along with a different name) when they had to change suppliers due to the Tsunami/earthquake in japan damaging the previous supplier.
The 2011 TSX, even though is the facelift model, still uses PWP as far as I know. I've seen many 2011 PWPs on the forum, but don't recall a single 2011 BWP.