Rear hitch or bike rack for 2010 TSX w/aero kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:55 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear hitch or bike rack for 2010 TSX w/aero kit

I recently purchased a new TSX V6 2010 with Aero kit and would like to install a rear hitch so I can throw on a bike rack whenever I need to. I would like the hitch to be as discrete as possible when I don't have a bike rack hanging off it.

An accessories vendor however told me that he doesn't think it will work because of the add-on aero kit (factory installed).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to avoid having to use a roof rack or trunk rack because I don't want to scratch or mark up the surface.

Also spoke to my acura dealer and they don't know of anything that is available.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Chris.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are good roof racks that have padding and don't scratch the car. Look into a nice Thule rack or something.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
roof rack man. dont get a trunk rack.
also, yakima > Thule.

i will post pics of my setup when i get home.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AnycL
roof rack man. dont get a trunk rack.
also, yakima > Thule.

i will post pics of my setup when i get home.
it actually looks really really good.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Cruisin'

While I don't have an aero kit, I went back and forth for a long time about getting a rack. I finally ended up with a Saris Bones RS for the trunk. The hitch looks like it would stick out too far for the regular bumper based on all the install instructions, plus I didn't like the idea of trimming any heat shields as this car has enough rattles and buzzes as it is. The roof rack's main deterrent was that it would probably be on all the time. My 29er can fit in the rear with the seat & front wheel off, but it is such a pain it was not a long term solution.

Give the RS a look and see. It seems to have a pretty good reputation and as long as you keep the area clean where it mounts it should minimize the risk of scratches. But then I finally decided the risk of scratches wasn't going to keep me from riding.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Intermediate

I am also trying to figure out how best to convey 2 bicycles with my 2009 TSX. I'm looking at Saris trunk racks - both the Thule and Yakima trunk racks have reviews which make them sound kind of dicey on the REI site. Frankly I'm kind of surprised because I've seen a lot of trash talk defending Thule and Yakima, but the reviews don't seem to justify their reputation (e.g. bikes flying off racks on to freeways, straps breaking and padding wearing out after 1 or 2 uses, etc). I had a roof rack for my old Jetta almost 30 years ago, but it was a real pain in the rear.

Anyone with direct experience with either trunk or roof racks for TSX's. I'm looking for comments on both durability and fit - some folks are also saying that the "fitment guides" on the rack manufacturer websites aren't worth the Javascript they're written in (they say "yes" to practically anything with 4 wheels regardless of whether it is more scratch prone, etc).
Old 09-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hmbtsx
I am also trying to figure out how best to convey 2 bicycles with my 2009 TSX. I'm looking at Saris trunk racks - both the Thule and Yakima trunk racks have reviews which make them sound kind of dicey on the REI site. Frankly I'm kind of surprised because I've seen a lot of trash talk defending Thule and Yakima, but the reviews don't seem to justify their reputation (e.g. bikes flying off racks on to freeways, straps breaking and padding wearing out after 1 or 2 uses, etc). I had a roof rack for my old Jetta almost 30 years ago, but it was a real pain in the rear.

Anyone with direct experience with either trunk or roof racks for TSX's. I'm looking for comments on both durability and fit - some folks are also saying that the "fitment guides" on the rack manufacturer websites aren't worth the Javascript they're written in (they say "yes" to practically anything with 4 wheels regardless of whether it is more scratch prone, etc).
If you have a decklid or a spoiler, truck racks are ... sorta out of the question.

Depending on what bike roof rack you get (I have 2 high rollers), I have gone 80 mph with some expensive bikes on top and it hasn't flown off yet. The stories that I've heard about bike flying off the rack on the freeway - it hasn't happened yet, and they probably forgotten to tighten the knobs to secure the bike, tbh.

Both brands I've looked into, are basically somewhat the same with some differences. Thule being square style bars and Yakima being round. Supposedly the round bars are stronger under load but unless you're going way over the weight limit of what your can hold on your roof (it'll crack anyway if you do), I don't see it matters. I'm not an expert btw.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Roof, a hitch on that car will look very odd.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

Interested to hear of any experiences with trailer hitches. I've decided that I'm definitely going the trailer hitch route, and was actually considering selling it because it's so impractical for things like camping, biking, hauling boats, etc....
However, I recently discovered the Yakima Rack-and-Roll trailer, and I think that if I buy the Rack-and-Roll, I can keep my TSX.
Has anybody actually installed a trailer hitch? If so, what brand did you buy, did you do it yourself, etc?...
Thanks in advance
Old 09-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what about the roof racks? are they permanent?
i would hate to have to keep it on all the time when i am not riding.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:04 AM
2010 Acura TSX

Originally Posted by Hermes
I finally ended up with a Saris Bones RS for the trunk. Give the RS a look and see. It seems to have a pretty good reputation and as long as you keep the area clean where it mounts it should minimize the risk of scratches. But then I finally decided the risk of scratches wasn't going to keep me from riding.
<br />
<br />

In my experience with my Nissan XTERRA, the Saris Bones is a good rack, but do not leave the rack on for extended periods of time (weeks). Depending on where the straps contact your car body, the inevitable swaying of the rack (especially with the bikes mounted) will rub the finish off. Also, in tropical climates (like mine) the clips will rust and in turn promote rust where it clips onto your car. I also have a roof mounted Yakima bike rack. Expensive but the hinges for the front wheel will rust...again, probably due to the tropical climate I live in.

I'm not putting a rack on my TSX, but if I had to I would probably go with a hitch. Curt Hitches make some for the TSX. http://www.buycurthitches.com/theme/...fm?event=hitch
Old 09-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Intermediate

Bike Rack for plain 2009 TSX (no aero or wings)

I am looking for a rack that I'll use a few times a year for taking bikes from SF to Tahoe or Yosemite or up and down the coast. Definitely not leaving it on the car and in fact being able to put easily in the trunk would also be a key factor.

For light entertainment, you guys should read the reviews on REI and various other bike websites - some great stories about bikes flying on to the freeway, broken straps and joints, etc. As I said, I was really shocked about the descriptions of poor quality, durability, and documentation for Thule and Yakima as well as fit problems. I know I can fix anything with an unlimited amount of duck tape and bungy cords, but I also want to keep the car looking somewhat cool

Not doing a hitch (I've got a pickup truck with a hitch). Would rather not do a roof rack since they look more difficult to store in the trunk.

And I'll bite - is there very little interest in riding bikes in Acurazine because we love driving these cars so much!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Advanced

Trailer hitch is the best; trunk rack is fine if you're planning to take it on/off after each ride.

A roof rack is also good if you park in a garage all the time. If not, then it can easily be stolen within 2 minutes with just a screwdriver (the clips get pried off). Another con is the hit in gas mileage and wind noise.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Old Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
While I don't have an aero kit, I went back and forth for a long time about getting a rack. I finally ended up with a Saris Bones RS for the trunk. The hitch looks like it would stick out too far for the regular bumper based on all the install instructions, plus I didn't like the idea of trimming any heat shields as this car has enough rattles and buzzes as it is. The roof rack's main deterrent was that it would probably be on all the time. My 29er can fit in the rear with the seat & front wheel off, but it is such a pain it was not a long term solution.

Give the RS a look and see. It seems to have a pretty good reputation and as long as you keep the area clean where it mounts it should minimize the risk of scratches. But then I finally decided the risk of scratches wasn't going to keep me from riding.
damn...I guess a stumpjumper will not fit with the rear seats down without taking the bike apart. Should have bought an RDX.

Anyone find a good way to transport their bike yet?
Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Old Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4dr4bangrAccord
damn...I guess a stumpjumper will not fit with the rear seats down without taking the bike apart. Should have bought an RDX.

Anyone find a good way to transport their bike yet?
disregard. the 29er is a lot bigger.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4dr4bangrAccord
disregard. the 29er is a lot bigger.
I fit a Rockhopper 29er in my TSX fine with the front wheel off (the seat is a bit of a pain, but it doesn't have to come off).

No matter what anyone says, ALL trunk racks scratch. Roof racks are nice, but I know that I would forget and nail my bike on the garage or something like that : ).

I'd personally lean towards a (hidden) hitch mount rack if money is not a big issue (as the nicer ones are fairly expensive), especially since they seem to be the only kind you can really lock to securely.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Advanced

I use a Saris Bones RS..