Really Considering a TSX... help me find the right one!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 12:34 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really Considering a TSX... help me find the right one!

My apologies if this type of thread isn't allowed.

I'm new here, coming from a 7.5 gen Accord and looking to maybe get a TSX. I'm thinking 2012-2014 (would prefer 2014, since it's newer). Are there any options I should really look for? Or stay away from?

I read some are regretting getting the Tech package because they don't use Navi. I have Navi in my Accord, and while I use it sometimes, it doesn't bother me that it's just there. Is it still best to look for the Tech package because of other features?

I was also considering a V6, but they're very rare it seems. On CarMax there's only 8 TSXs being sold within 500 miles of me, I think 1 was a V6.

Anything else to look for? Stay away from?
Old 07-15-2018, 01:07 PM
fbt
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I bought my Sportwagon new and the tech package was a $2000 option. All I really wanted was the backup camera, so I didn't get it. Now for a lot less I can get an aftermarket head unit installed with backup camera and AA. If you are ok with the tech option and not going to upgrade then I wouldn't turn down a good car because of it.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:24 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Originally Posted by davidg4781
My apologies if this type of thread isn't allowed.

I'm new here, coming from a 7.5 gen Accord and looking to maybe get a TSX. I'm thinking 2012-2014 (would prefer 2014, since it's newer). Are there any options I should really look for? Or stay away from?

I read some are regretting getting the Tech package because they don't use Navi. I have Navi in my Accord, and while I use it sometimes, it doesn't bother me that it's just there. Is it still best to look for the Tech package because of other features?

I was also considering a V6, but they're very rare it seems. On CarMax there's only 8 TSXs being sold within 500 miles of me, I think 1 was a V6.

Anything else to look for? Stay away from?
Welcome!

As far as the V6 model goes, they probably didn't make a single one for 2014. They didn't sell very well, probably because folks looking for a V6 Acura would've opted for the TL instead. There may be some 2013 V6 TSXs, but I'm actually not really sure.

Most folks regret the TECH package not because it's inferior to the Base/Premium models, but because they offer limitations, as well as complications, when it comes to upgrading to an aftermarket head unit. Some even mentioned when upgrading to higher end speakers, they would sound distorted because of how the processing works in the Panasonic ELS amp which comes with the TECH package. Also, most folks tend to "regret" getting the TECH package, because the navigation system becomes quite dated/obsolete in just a matter of a couple of years, due to having to pay to update the maps. This isn't a problem specific to the Acura TSX, as I'm sure you're aware of with your Accord. I much prefer the traffic information and up to date maps offered by Google Maps/Waze on my phone anyway. For most, the TECH package is a decent option. For some "enthusiasts", it could be a regrettable option.

Although I like to think that if I had gotten a non-TECH TSX, I would have an aftermarket double din head unit in it. But who knows if I really would've gone down that route. I mostly regret it because I'd much rather have the A-Spec model (Special Edition model in USA), for its black headliner, red themed interior (gauges/lights/seat accents), and 6MT offering (albeit Base/Premium models offer a 6MT option as well). Otherwise, I'm content with what I have.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:59 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
i think you should expand your search for a good one, FYI took me 3 months last year found my 2014 TSX (white on black with tech).
Old 07-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
I have a 2010 tech and haven’t used the navigation in probably 3 years. Maybe more. I believe it upgrades the stereo also which I find very good.

Its a good car but there is oil consumption issues over 100K. I would use the reminder when it counted down to 15% to get an oil change. That was usually 6000-7000 miles. I now can’t use that as I’m burning oil. Im getting about 4000 miles now to an oil change. I have 148k on my car. So still not bad. But do your homework.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:52 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by xtcnrice
Although I like to think that if I had gotten a non-TECH TSX, I would have an aftermarket double din head unit in it. But who knows if I really would've gone down that route. I mostly regret it because I'd much rather have the A-Spec model (Special Edition model in USA), for its black headliner, red themed interior (gauges/lights/seat accents), and 6MT offering (albeit Base/Premium models offer a 6MT option as well). Otherwise, I'm content with what I have.
I thought the 2013-2014 TSXs you could only get the 6MT in SE trim (no TECH). 2011 was the last year TSX offered the TSX TECH with a 6MT.

I agree the Panasonic/ELS sound system in the TECH is nothing special, and simply replacing the speakers is unlikely to improve the sound (due to the power amp parsing the signal to each speaker).

A lot of used car reviews complain about the number of buttons on the dash. I like the "cockpit" design where functions take one button push (e.g., fan speed, audio source selection, etc.) rather than having to tap through screen menus. After a week of driving, you know instinctively where the buttons are by feel.

Last edited by kixo; 07-22-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:51 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I’ve owned both a 2012 Tech(Auto) and a 2013 Special Edition (6mt) The tech was overall a much better car. The tech had some fun features such as backup cam. Whereas the special edition had a much better appearance package. Both were very fun to drive but what are you looking for ? Comfort or sporty ness ? I can help further from there.