Price With Options: 4 Trims Available
MSN Ratings & Reviews
User Rating: 9.8 Read Reviews
MSN Autos Rating: 9.0 Read Reviews

Review: 2009 Acura TSX
By Tom Wilson of MSN autos
Rating: 9
Bottom Line:
Zingy and nimble, the athletic TSX is the successful person’s first reward. Now Acura has rebuilt the 4-door sports sedan, added high-tech pizzaz and massaged the styling to keep up with the automotive Joneses.
Pros:
* All new; all better
* Sharp handling
* Easy on fuel for a performance car

Cons:
* No Super Handling-All-Wheel Drive option
* Pricey Technology Package hoards the goodies
* Some may miss high rpm “hit”
What to wear when you’re up and coming? If it’s automotive fashion, Acura’s TSX sports sedan is a chic pick. Natty. Lean. Electronically savvy. Zippy and with a nod to the environment, the TSX impresses the boss and pleases the performance soul without bragging or brawling. Acura’s carefully rendered second generation TSX retains all the performance while adding better handling, electronics and sophistication.

Model Lineup
Because a sports sedan’s lot in life is well-defined, the 4-door-only TSX is optimized with a single 4-cylinder powertrain and pleasantly taut suspension. Additionally, as a premium brand Acura sells only well-equipped vehicles, so the TSX boasts an impressive list of standard features. In fact there is only one major option, the Technology Package. It groups the audio upgrade with a voice-activated navigation, traffic, weather and rearview camera system.

Aside from the Technology Package, TSX buyers need to choose between the equally priced manual or optional automatic transmissions — a surprisingly close choice as we’ll see. Another is to run with the standard 17 x 7.5-inch 5-spoke aluminum alloy wheels and P225/50R-17 all-season Michelin Pilot tires, or opt for the 18-inch wheel upgrade.

Don’t worry if the Technology Package is out of reach. Standard audio is a 7-speaker sound system with CD, XM radio, Bluetooth for hands-free connectivity, MP3 and USB music interfaces. HomeLink remote control is also standard, as is a power moonroof, heated leather seating, HID headlights, fog lights, heated side mirrors, plus front, side and curtain airbags. Base TSXs really aren’t.

Under the Hood
Defining the TSX’s lean personality is its tuned version of parent company Honda’s 2.4-liter DOHC 4-cylinder engine. Designed to rev, the TSX mill whips out 201 hp at 7000 rpm and 170 lb- ft of torque at 4300 rpm when coupled with the 6-speed manual transmission, or 172 lb- ft at 4400 rpm with the 5-speed automatic. To keep the TSX lithely responsive there is no V6 option.

That’s no loss, since the 4-cylinder’s sophistication and light weight make a formidable combo. A die-cast aluminum block with iron liners and dual balance shafts is just the beginning. Breathing is via 4-valves per cylinder, optimized by variable valve lift, duration, and intake-cam timing. For 2009 the intake tract has been enlarged and the compression ratio raised to a sporting 11.0:1. The only downside is a premium-fuel requirement.

It’s worth noting the automatic transmission offers paddle shifting and actually nips the manual gearbox in fuel mileage ratings. The EPA says the manual gearbox box scores 20/28 mpg (city/hwy), while the automatic is rated at 21/30. A lower final drive ratio for the manual (4.764 vs. 4.438:1) is the likely culprit.

Inner Space
Acura says the TSX cockpit blends, “luxury, performance and technology in equal measure” and it’s a pretty apt description. Polished aluminum and leather mingle with a mix of digital and analog instruments to form an inviting, comfortable driving space with a high-tech vibe. Standard features abound, from comfort items such as heated seats to techy 12-volt and USB interfaces. Sporting aids include well-placed paddle shifters and dead pedal.

Increased shoulder room, freshened instrument graphics and a thicker, leather-wrapped steering wheel represent some of the detail improvements, but the major upgrades are in the optional Technology Package’s electronic aids. Three interior colors — Ebony, Taupe and Parchment — are offered.

On the Road

Slashing through mountain curves confirms Acura’s strengthening of the TSX’s body shell. This was accomplished via a cross-braced roof, replacement of bolted body junctions with welding, and more high-strength steel. The A-arm front and multi-link rear suspension — along with the subframes to which they attach — are both more rigid and better isolated from the cabin for reduced road noise.

Another improvement is the electrically assisted power steering. It gives intuitive feel and quick response, greatly aided by the inherently light 4-cylinder engine sitting atop the front axle.

As a sports sedan with luxury intentions, the TSX deftly walks a narrow line between handling and a plush ride. New dual-mode shocks seem to do an especially good job soaking up sharp impacts. The latest TSX corners a pinch flatter, with more accurate steering, yet rides at least as well as the earlier-generation TSX.

The new TSX’s underhood personality remains willingly revvy, but is considerably smoother and slightly meatier in the mid-range. The old car’s distinctive jump in power at very high rpm is gone, replaced by a silky tear up to redline. Combined with the chassis’s increased accuracy, the TSX is a thrill to whip through tight turns, yet relaxing on straight stretches.

We sampled both the manual and automatic transmission and couldn’t decide which we enjoyed more. Urban commuters can opt for paddle shifting knowing they aren’t giving up a hint of performance; in fact the automatic feels faster than the manual. Of course, the manual-transmission buyer maximizes the interaction and total control of conventional shifting.

Our final powertrain thought is that the TSX is not really any faster than before — but it didn’t need to be. It is more refined, however, and now gets up to 2 mpg better mileage.

Right for You?

If the $29,000 to $35,000 pricing is within reach, the thought of buying premium gasoline doesn’t deter, and a shot of agile performance makes your everyday driving more fun, then you’ll enjoy the TSX. There are many sport sedan choices in this price range, including the more conservative BMW 3-Series or the turbo-powered Volvo S40. But the TSX’s balanced platform and welterweight personality give it an important place in the hot sedan universe.

Longtime Road & Track contributor Tom Wilson’s credits include local racing championships, three technical engine books and hundreds of freelance articles.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally. Someone that doesn't completely hate our car. Ha ha...
Old 11-13-2008, 09:27 AM
for EVER more!

FYI - MSN sells out to advertisers big time. Wouldn't surprise me if Honda paid for this review - even if it is by Tom Wilson.

I'm not hating on the 2G at all - just an FYI as a web marketing manager that this does happen on MSN quite frequently.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Too much chrome

It got a positive review from car and driver as well
Old 11-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't you like the other reviews, they all read the same:

"We loved the last generation TSX and this car is a much more refined car then the last generation but we hate it!"

If these car reviews can't say the HP has gone up 30% and the steering now matches a BMW's feel. Then they don't like it. A lot of people don't want a track ready car and these people have forgotten about how a regular person uses a car.

The steering that they are always bashing, is fine! it's not German but it is on par with the other Asian models. Give it a break, I have a feeling that with the Internet as powerful as it is, 1/2 of these "reviewers" were never in the car they are reviewing they just plagiarizes the other guys.

The TSX is not a perfect car but I will take it before anything else that is priced the SAME! Not start at the same price but then end up 10k more with the same equipment. It is in a class by itself they don't know what to compare it to.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:53 AM
for EVER more!

points well made...and i agree considering the criticisms made about the 1st Gen's power issues - but when u test drive other cars in the price range (souped up Camry, Accord, Mazda) - the tsx wins hands down.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:32 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by cyberbro

"We loved the last generation TSX and this car is a much more refined car then the last generation but we hate it!"

If these car reviews can't say the HP has gone up 30% and the steering now matches a BMW's feel. Then they don't like it. A lot of people don't want a track ready car and these people have forgotten about how a regular person uses a car.

The steering that they are always bashing, is fine! it's not German but it is on par with the other Asian models. Give it a break, I have a feeling that with the Internet as powerful as it is, 1/2 of these "reviewers" were never in the car they are reviewing they just plagiarizes the other guys.

The TSX is not a perfect car but I will take it before anything else that is priced the SAME! Not start at the same price but then end up 10k more with the same equipment. It is in a class by itself they don't know what to compare it to.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I would not have picked another car in this price range myself. The TSX is a great car for the money and value
Old 11-14-2008, 10:52 AM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this review sucks really.
it's not "fair and balanced" I mean, come on.
I would guess that yes, it was obviously paid for.
Just read it. Read the language.
And there's many parts that are also... um.. not quite accurate.

Because a sports sedan’s lot in life is well-defined, the 4-door-only TSX is optimized with a single 4-cylinder powertrain and pleasantly taut suspension. Additionally, as a premium brand Acura sells only well-equipped vehicles, so the TSX boasts an impressive list of standard features. In fact there is only one major option, the Technology Package. It groups the audio upgrade with a voice-activated navigation, traffic, weather and rearview camera system.
so all sport sedans are well defined as 4 cyl only cars?
bull.

so all premium car brands only offer well-equipped vehicles?
bull.

Acura says the TSX cockpit blends, “luxury, performance and technology in equal measure” and it’s a pretty apt description. Polished aluminum and leather mingle with a mix of digital and analog instruments to form an inviting, comfortable driving space with a high-tech vibe. Standard features abound, from comfort items such as heated seats to techy 12-volt and USB interfaces. Sporting aids include well-placed paddle shifters and dead pedal.

polished aluminum huh?
lol, more bull.

well-placed paddle shifters?
more bull, they turn with the wheel for god's sake.
paddle shifters aren't supposed to be attached to the wheel itself.
how are you supposed to shift while making a turn?
so more bull.

a well-placed dead pedal?
lol, nice feature.

Another improvement is the electrically assisted power steering. It gives intuitive feel and quick response, greatly aided by the inherently light 4-cylinder engine sitting atop the front axle.
oh yeah? intuitive feel? quick response?
I guess you never asked the people who own or have driven the car.
lol. Acura will be changing this soon, they need to recalibrate their EPS on this car.
so is the wheel sticking while making a turn intuitive feel? lol.
or how about the "numb" feeling reported by most test drivers? intuitive?
or the overly sensitive and floaty nature on the interstate?
please.

this may be a "positive review" but it's all fluff and bull.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
this review sucks really.
it's not "fair and balanced" I mean, come on.
I would guess that yes, it was obviously paid for.
Just read it. Read the language.
And there's many parts that are also... um.. not quite accurate.

so all sport sedans are well defined as 4 cyl only cars?
bull.

so all premium car brands only offer well-equipped vehicles?
bull.

polished aluminum huh?
lol, more bull.

so more bull.

a well-placed dead pedal?
lol, nice feature.

oh yeah? intuitive feel? quick response?
I guess you never asked the people who own or have driven the car.
lol. Acura will be changing this soon, they need to recalibrate their EPS on this car.
so is the wheel sticking while making a turn intuitive feel? lol.
or how about the "numb" feeling reported by most test drivers? intuitive?
or the overly sensitive and floaty nature on the interstate?
please.

this may be a "positive review" but it's all fluff and bull.
I agree, MSN reviews are not accurate. They don't praise the '08 as well, which is supposed to be a really good car. I would only trust car and driver and edmund's reviews. I think cnet is not that bad either. Finally, you should make your own review after test driving the car. For some people the '09 will feel better than the '08.. I personally like the '08 better but you might like the '09. Also, I actually don't have any problem with the electrical assist on Acura, but the only issue is that the steering doesn't feel that precise as compared to 1G, especially when you make sudden turns there seems to be a slight delay. I have to say that Lexus does a GREAT job with the preciseness of their electrical steering but Acura is still learning and will probably take some more time to get it to be more responsive like the hydraulic ones. Also, I don't think Acura can ever be a Luxury vehichle unless they differentiate themselves from Honda.

Here's an interesting review from cars.com. If you study the car carefully, you'll agree to most of this review says and I think it's a fair one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2oHJhEGDa0
Old 11-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Banned

Do not trust Edmund's reviews. They have a tendency to go overboard on the hatorade and they've allowed some auto reviews on their site that look like they were written by interior decorators.

That MSN article is definately slanted to the positive but they make some accurate observations about the car that most other reviews seem to miss.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:28 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by MMsTSX

so more bull.
That is a matter or preference. Some makes have them attached to the wheel, others don't. I've heard more complaints about them not being attached to the wheel.

I don't get it? If both you're hands are on the wheel and you're turning, you have to remove a hand from the wheel to shift if they're not attached. Seems to make more sense that they turn with the wheel and your hands.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

good points but steering shouldn't get worse, granted I haven't driven a 2G but the reviews are pretty much in agreement that the steering is dead on center and contains little feel
Old 11-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

this car is great for me and that's all that really matters. i know what what is important to me in a car and this had it...all of it.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by damian.wayne
this car is great for me and that's all that really matters. i know what what is important to me in a car and this had it...all of it.
If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple. It's a great car for the price.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
good points but steering shouldn't get worse, granted I haven't driven a 2G but the reviews are pretty much in agreement that the steering is dead on center and contains little feel
The steering is different, not worse. It's true that it's a little tricky to keep it dead centered on the freeway but it's not a big deal to me, not yet anyway.

I suppose it's kind of cool to feel that sharp corners fight the tires and fight the steering wheel, and if it were all the same I'd prefer that, but the reason Acura added this electronic steering was to make the wheel easier to turn and while they were at it they made the sensitivity rather agressive which I think makes it a lot of fun. I like how you can effortlessly toss the car about.

The TL-s was the exact opposite, not only did you feel the road fight the front tires you felt the entire car fight the front tires and I didn't care for that at all. People who drive them won't admit it but it's as if you were getting out of the car and literlay pushing it in the desired direction. It feels heavy. I hope a V6 or diesel TSX doesn't add that same torque steer.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wackura
The steering is different, not worse. It's true that it's a little tricky to keep it dead centered on the freeway but it's not a big deal to me, not yet anyway.

I suppose it's kind of cool to feel that sharp corners fight the tires and fight the steering wheel, and if it were all the same I'd prefer that, but the reason Acura added this electronic steering was to make the wheel easier to turn and while they were at it they made the sensitivity rather aggressive which I think makes it a lot of fun. I like how you can effortlessly toss the car about.

The TL-s was the exact opposite, not only did you feel the road fight the front tires you felt the entire car fight the front tires and I didn't care for that at all. People who drive them won't admit it but it's as if you were getting out of the car and literally pushing it in the desired direction. It feels heavy. I hope a V6 or diesel TSX doesn't add that same torque steer.

I agree and I have read many times on BMW forums (3 Series and 1 Series) that it is to hard to steer at low speeds when parking. Granted it is usually a much older senior driver but Acura wants to attract a broad range of tastes.

Also Acura could adjust the Steering with just a software update, do that with hydraulic.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Banned

I agree and I have read many times on BMW forums (3 Series and 1 Series) that it is to hard to steer at low speeds when parking. Granted it is usually a much older senior driver but Acura wants to attract a broad range of tastes.

Also Acura could adjust the Steering with just a software update, do that with hydraulic.
That will be pretty cool when the day comes that auto critic's concerns are addressed with firmware updates.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:03 AM
Instructor

I got the TSX '09 for 2 days as a loaner car when I gave my '08 for service. I have it right now with me.. I'll write a thorough review soon.. So far I've driven almost close to 300 miles in one day. Been driving around San Diego on curvy roads, high ways, mountains etc.... I'm composing a review and will post it sometime this coming weekend!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:57 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by deznium
I got the TSX '09 for 2 days as a loaner car when I gave my '08 for service. I have it right now with me.. I'll write a thorough review soon.. So far I've driven almost close to 300 miles in one day. Been driving around San Diego on curvy roads, high ways, mountains etc.... I'm composing a review and will post it sometime this coming weekend!
Which SD dealer did you loan from? Kearny Mesa Acura is my dealer and they are pretty generous with loaner cars. I've been given a Glacier Blue and Silver '09 TSX as loaners the last 2 times I visited them for service...
Old 11-22-2008, 03:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
Which SD dealer did you loan from? Kearny Mesa Acura is my dealer and they are pretty generous with loaner cars. I've been given a Glacier Blue and Silver '09 TSX as loaners the last 2 times I visited them for service...
I got mine from Acura of Escondido.. they always give me loaners without even asking.. excellent dealership. Haven't been to Kearny Mesa.. Will try them out for my next oil change / services.. I will write in more detail later but overall I still prefer '08... I thought the '09 was very floaty on highway and too sensitive to turns.. And interior materials have been slightly downgraded (in my opinion).. I'm just stating facts, not trying to start a flame
Old 11-22-2008, 04:06 AM
Car is Back

i just got mine as a loaner im loving it
Old 11-24-2008, 11:52 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
That is a matter or preference. Some makes have them attached to the wheel, others don't. I've heard more complaints about them not being attached to the wheel.

I don't get it? If both you're hands are on the wheel and you're turning, you have to remove a hand from the wheel to shift if they're not attached. Seems to make more sense that they turn with the wheel and your hands.

Went to the LA Auto Show this past weekend, and checkout a number of cars and noticed something...
Mercedes - Wheel-mounted Paddle Shifters
BMW - Wheel-mounted Paddle Shifters
Audi - Wheel-mounted Paddle Shifters
Lexus - Wheel-mounted Paddle Shifters
Acura - Wheel-mounted Paddle Shifters

Only Infiniti had steering column mounted paddle shifters...
Old 11-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
Went to the LA Auto Show this past weekend, and checkout a number of cars and noticed something...
Mercedes - Wheel-mounted Paddle Shifters
BMW - Wheel-mounted Paddle Shifters
Audi - Wheel-mounted Paddle Shifters
Lexus - Wheel-mounted Paddle Shifters
Acura - Wheel-mounted Paddle Shifters

Only Infiniti had steering column mounted paddle shifters...

The logic originally came from racing, you don't shift in a turn. It is really not practical in real life driving.