Notices

Performance Stuff for TSX 2014

 
Old 10-16-2018, 02:46 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Matt Lumpkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 211
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Performance Stuff for TSX 2014

I have about $1000 to spend on my car including parts. I really like that the V4 engine is snappy and quick but gets good gas mileage.

Is there anything I can add to make it just a little faster? I was thinking cold air intake. I hear some of them add up to 30hp, but is that just a myth? Links plz? My dealership said they would install it for free.

What is a good exhaust package to add?

Also, what is the best aftermarket stereo with car play?

Hmmm I think that is about it. Tires? A chip that is safe and works?
Matt Lumpkins is offline  
Old 10-16-2018, 06:48 PM
  #2  
Administrator
 
Ron A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 15,176
Received 785 Likes on 443 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This thread has been moved to the model specific forum for better response.
Ron A is online now  
Old 10-17-2018, 10:23 AM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
Terdbath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 45
Posts: 439
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
Intake does not add any noticeable gain in HP or TQ. I have a Takeda on my 2010 and only thing it does it unmask some noise from the engine.

I have a J pipe that replaces one of the cats and that did add a noticeable bump to power.

Aftermarket support wasn't all that great on these cars so exhaust options are limited but can be found if you search around.

$1000 wont get you a turbo or supercharger but you could get a Hondata unit and have it tuned by someone to eek some extra ponies.

As for Tires depends on if you are going with dedicated summers and winters or a good all season.

If there is a chip out there for this engine I've never heard of it but if you get one and it works let us know.

Aftermarket stereo with car play? Sorry no info for you on that one.
Terdbath is offline  
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 10:32 AM
  #4  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 80,434
Received 13,980 Likes on 10,384 Posts
a chip marketed for naturally aspirated engines are almost all scams...just a resistor to try and trick the car's ECU or computer...however, the car's ECU is too smart and will revert back to stock air/fuel ratios.
Hondata is the only real "easy" way to tune.
justnspace is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 11:22 AM
  #5  
Moderator
 
cu2wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Dirty H-Town, Amerikkka
Posts: 21,628
Received 4,377 Likes on 3,106 Posts
You can spend a lot of money but you really only lighten you wallet. Which I guess makes you a little bit quicker.
cu2wagon is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 11:28 AM
  #6  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 80,434
Received 13,980 Likes on 10,384 Posts
on that note; stripping the car is free. and will make you quicker and faster.
justnspace is offline  
The following users liked this post:
thunderbt3 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:38 AM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Burbs, Chicago
Age: 35
Posts: 862
Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts
RV6 Downpipe + KTuner/Hondata + Tune will get you ~20hp

https://www.rv6-p.com/tsx/2nd-gen/i4-k24z3/
thunderbt3 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:46 AM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Burbs, Chicago
Age: 35
Posts: 862
Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts
Also, beware of the Skunk2 downpipe. Since they've been out in the wild for a couple years now, there has been reports of the pipe and welds cracking on both the TSX and Civic SI. Check out the CU2 FB group or do a google search. I'm still rocking the original RV6 prototype downpipe and haven't had any issues, even after being exposed to nasty winters.
thunderbt3 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 03:25 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Matt Lumpkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 211
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by thunderbt3 View Post
RV6 Downpipe + KTuner/Hondata + Tune will get you ~20hp

https://www.rv6-p.com/tsx/2nd-gen/i4-k24z3/
thanks, very helpful. It doesnít sound high pitched does it? Iíd like to have the deepest sound possible.

https://www.rv6-p.com/i4tp-tsx0914.html

is this the one you have? For tsx? Thatís only $150. And adds 20HP? Sry I donít know about cars. This is such a great car.

I decided on tue Sony ax100 head unit. Itís the top rated and it has Apple CarPlay. Figured that would be pretty useful!

Thanks again guys.

Oh : what are some rims around 100-150 each that are black and decent. Not picky but want black. And something that doesnít scratch up.
Matt Lumpkins is offline  
Old 10-22-2018, 01:01 PM
  #10  
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
 
xtcnrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto, ON
Age: 28
Posts: 4,361
Received 1,105 Likes on 872 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Lumpkins View Post


thanks, very helpful. It doesnít sound high pitched does it? Iíd like to have the deepest sound possible.

https://www.rv6-p.com/i4tp-tsx0914.html

is this the one you have? For tsx? Thatís only $150. And adds 20HP? Sry I donít know about cars. This is such a great car.

I decided on tue Sony ax100 head unit. Itís the top rated and it has Apple CarPlay. Figured that would be pretty useful!

Thanks again guys.

Oh : what are some rims around 100-150 each that are black and decent. Not picky but want black. And something that doesnít scratch up.
Requires a tune to get the optimal amount of added power. A tune typically requires one of FlashPro or KTuner, which itself costs much more than $150.
xtcnrice is offline  
Old 10-23-2018, 07:39 AM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Burbs, Chicago
Age: 35
Posts: 862
Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts
This to keep the stock CAT:
https://www.rv6-p.com/i4pcddptsx.html

This to replace the stock CAT with a higher flowing one:
https://www.rv6-p.com/tsxi4pcd-hfc.html

This to delete all CAT's and essentially have a straight piped exhaust:
https://www.rv6-p.com/i4pcdtp-combo.html
thunderbt3 is offline  
Old 10-23-2018, 05:46 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Matt Lumpkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 211
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by thunderbt3 View Post
This to keep the stock CAT:
https://www.rv6-p.com/i4pcddptsx.html

This to replace the stock CAT with a higher flowing one:
https://www.rv6-p.com/tsxi4pcd-hfc.html

This to delete all CAT's and essentially have a straight piped exhaust:
https://www.rv6-p.com/i4pcdtp-combo.html
okay cool! Thank you.

If i just get the tuner for right now, would I see any improvement until I can afford an intake and exhaust?
Matt Lumpkins is offline  
Old 10-24-2018, 08:31 AM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Burbs, Chicago
Age: 35
Posts: 862
Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts
Probably not. Get the exhaust/intake first and then the tuner when you an afford it. Plugging in a tuner only unlocks the ability to change ECU parameters and won't give you an instant power gain. You'll need to find a tuner with a dyno or that can do e-tunes and pay them to optimize the power your engine can put out. If you pay for a tune for the stock configuration, you'll have to pay for a retune after intake/exhaust are put on to get the most out of it.
thunderbt3 is offline  
Old 10-24-2018, 08:54 AM
  #14  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Matt Lumpkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 211
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh okay I see. Good point. Well, will exhaust and intake do anything without a hondata?
Matt Lumpkins is offline  
Old 10-24-2018, 09:29 AM
  #15  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Burbs, Chicago
Age: 35
Posts: 862
Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts
The pics aren't showing for me, but the numbers are there.
http://www.rv6-p.com/products/tsx/2n...i4dp-dyno.html
thunderbt3 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:21 AM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 389
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts
You can check out my photo thread. I have a dyno plot on an 09 5AT w/ injen CAI, RV6 PCD + HFC, hondata flashpro...

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-.../#post16301497

Our stock wheels are very heavy, so lighter wheels should be a noticeable difference.
t3hhcaptain is offline  
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (10-24-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 10:57 AM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sierra Nevada
Posts: 28
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
There’s not a lot of aftermarket, but if you can work with a good Honda tuner, it’s all possible. Heeltoe Automotive sells some supercharger kits.
TSXWagoneer is offline  
Old 11-02-2018, 03:30 PM
  #18  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Matt Lumpkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 211
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by t3hhcaptain View Post
You can check out my photo thread. I have a dyno plot on an 09 5AT w/ injen CAI, RV6 PCD + HFC, hondata flashpro...

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-.../#post16301497

Our stock wheels are very heavy, so lighter wheels should be a noticeable difference.
What are some good wheels that are black and shiny? What size do you reccomend? 18 or 19?

Originally Posted by TSXWagoneer View Post
Thereís not a lot of aftermarket, but if you can work with a good Honda tuner, itís all possible. Heeltoe Automotive sells some supercharger kits.
How exactly do you use a honda tuner? Do you get a PC program and adjust things on there? And wouldnt a supercharger risk messing my car up? I really want one, dont get me wrong, haha.
Matt Lumpkins is offline  
Old 11-03-2018, 02:38 AM
  #19  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Matt Lumpkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 211
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Whoever said that I can't get any more power out of my TSX has not read this article! Check this out!

https://www.hondata.com/tuning_k24a2_tsx_engine.html
Matt Lumpkins is offline  
Old 11-04-2018, 03:27 PM
  #20  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Age: 38
Posts: 40
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
That article is old. Old as in I read it on ephatch.com over 10 years ago. It pertains to the K24A2, which is the 1st generation TSX. Good shit, and gives you and idea as to what to expect if you mod a 1st gen..........
antisocial is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 12:51 PM
  #21  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Matt Lumpkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 211
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So you dont think I could get similar gains? Id be happy with just addin about 60hp without having to get turbo. Id get intake, exhaust, and a tune and see what i could get away with.
Matt Lumpkins is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 03:48 PM
  #22  
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
 
xtcnrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto, ON
Age: 28
Posts: 4,361
Received 1,105 Likes on 872 Posts
you're not going to get 60hp with those items on this car...
xtcnrice is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 11:33 PM
  #23  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Matt Lumpkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 211
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Think I could get at least 40?
Matt Lumpkins is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 12:01 AM
  #24  
Moderator
 
cu2wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Dirty H-Town, Amerikkka
Posts: 21,628
Received 4,377 Likes on 3,106 Posts
Give it a shot and see?
cu2wagon is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 06:15 AM
  #25  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 80,434
Received 13,980 Likes on 10,384 Posts
lmao, i wanna throw numbers out of my butt too.
justnspace is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 09:26 AM
  #26  
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
 
xtcnrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto, ON
Age: 28
Posts: 4,361
Received 1,105 Likes on 872 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Lumpkins View Post
Think I could get at least 40?
nope, at least definitely not if you're talking whp
xtcnrice is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 10:58 AM
  #27  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 251
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
you can try to go with a rotrex supercharger kit. Or you could look for a used j35 tsx v6. Very rare but some are out there. It already has the hp you are trying to get to.

Or look into a used 3g tl type-s or 4g tl if you like the styling. Going heavy aftermarket with forced induction on a daily driver is definitely not a set it and forget it type of situation.
2snail is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 12:49 AM
  #28  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Matt Lumpkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 211
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah. I originally wanted a 370z. I had always wanted that. But I looked at the gas mileage and tried to be realistic. I test drove a TSX and loved the handling and the styling. I was tied between an SI and a TSX and I am glad that I chose the TSX. I drive fast as hell anyway, and burn a lot of gas doing it. I probably should just STFU and be grateful that I even have a nice car. This thing only has 44k Miles on it. It turns heads and is fun to drive. What more could I ask for? Why do I even need 300hp? BECAUSE ITS FUN! I love the feeling of flying back into my seat. I get that feeling just with this thing, let alone if I had rear wheel drive and 320hp. I guess that is my deal right now. I like that feeling. Here is my car btw.




I think am just going to get some black rims and call it a day. I will get light weight ones and gain 100hp. I mean whp

Last edited by Matt Lumpkins; 11-10-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Matt Lumpkins is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 09:58 AM
  #29  
Registered Member
 
LostProphet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Olney, MD
Posts: 156
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Lumpkins View Post
Yeah. I originally wanted a 370z. I had always wanted that. But I looked at the gas mileage and tried to be realistic. I test drove a TSX and loved the handling and the styling. I was tied between an SI and a TSX and I am glad that I chose the TSX. I drive fast as hell anyway, and burn a lot of gas doing it. I probably should just STFU and be grateful that I even have a nice car. This thing only has 44k Miles on it. It turns heads and is fun to drive. What more could I ask for? Why do I even need 300hp? BECAUSE ITS FUN! I love the feeling of flying back into my seat. I get that feeling just with this thing, let alone if I had rear wheel drive and 320hp. I guess that is my deal right now. I like that feeling. Here is my car btw.




I think am just going to get some black rims and call it a day. I will get light weight ones and gain 100hp. I mean whp

Just so you know there is a TSX with a V6 3.5 engine that will give you 280 hp. Another option would be adding the CT Engineering supercharging kit to your current car, it would increase the hp by 45-50.
Congrats on the good looking ride man.
LostProphet is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:02 AM
  #30  
Registered Member
 
LostProphet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Olney, MD
Posts: 156
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is a pic of mine with it's most recent upgrade.
LostProphet is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 02:18 PM
  #31  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Matt Lumpkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 211
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LostProphet View Post

Here is a pic of mine with it's most recent upgrade.
sick!!

And to the the previous post : I wish I had some of those V6 TSXs to choose from. Itís unlikely and especially unlikely that itíll be in min condition like mine. But Iíd love to find one.

Id add the CT engineering kit if I knew it wouldnít hurt my car. Thereís a local shop here that does mods to civic SI all the time and other cars. Think itís safe?
Matt Lumpkins is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:42 PM
  #32  
Registered Member
 
LostProphet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Olney, MD
Posts: 156
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Lumpkins View Post


sick!!

And to the the previous post : I wish I had some of those V6 TSXs to choose from. Itís unlikely and especially unlikely that itíll be in min condition like mine. But Iíd love to find one.

Id add the CT engineering kit if I knew it wouldnít hurt my car. Thereís a local shop here that does mods to civic SI all the time and other cars. Think itís safe?
Personally I'd not spend near $4k for only 50hp with the supercharger kit, I'd use that as a downpayment for a faster car. There are rumors about Acura launching in a couple of years a TLX Type-s with a turbocharged v6 that will deliver around 365hp, if I were you I'd wait for that car.

LostProphet is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 07:26 PM
  #33  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Matt Lumpkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 211
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LostProphet View Post
Personally I'd not spend near $4k for only 50hp with the supercharger kit, I'd use that as a downpayment for a faster car. There are rumors about Acura launching in a couple of years a TLX Type-s with a turbocharged v6 that will deliver around 365hp, if I were you I'd wait for that car.
Okay, done deal!! Let the wait begin!
Matt Lumpkins is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Corey_Straker
Fourth Generation TL (2009-2014)
12
11-09-2018 11:33 PM
juniorbean
Southeast
37
12-15-2014 09:27 AM
colberto
Second Generation RDX (2013-2018)
56
04-15-2014 01:27 AM
Corey_Straker
Fourth Generation TL (2009-2014)
26
03-07-2014 09:56 AM
fun2drive
3G MDX Discussion (2014+)
0
08-19-2013 07:34 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Performance Stuff for TSX 2014


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.