Oil light comes on when...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil light comes on when...

Any one in the colder states ever get a "Check Oil" when they are driving over a speed bump?

I've been getting this lately and it began around Thanksgiving when the temperature started to drop. The light goes on for about 2-5 minutes then it goes away.

I checked my oil level and its been between the dots. The viscosity is whatver the manual recommends as the Acura dealerships are the ones changing my oil.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Instructor

You should NEVER get an oil light. EVER. Get the car to a dealer. NOW. Seriously...do not drive it ANYWHERE except right to the dealer. Heck, I wouldnt even drive it there, Id call them and tell them you need it towed there. If your car is under warranty, which I assume it is, this should be covered. It might be nothing, like a bad sensor. But it could be some kind of oil pump issue, which would spell death for your motor if it fails all together.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Advanced

I would take advantage of the Acura towing service and have them tow it to the dealer. Guys read the book, pay attention to the indicators
Old 12-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Instructor

Wow. Never thought about the severity of it.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I just started getting it too but when I make sharp turns, the light blinks for a second. I haven't gotten oil change for the last 7000 miles so I'm assuming the engine absorbed few oil and the sensor detects it when the oil shifts (when turning). ANY thoughts anyone? I live in NJ and it's really cold here. When was your last oil change? IMO, I don't think it's a serious issue where you have to tow your car but get it checked ASAP.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackTSX6MT
I just started getting it too but when I make sharp turns, the light blinks for a second. I haven't gotten oil change for the last 7000 miles so I'm assuming the engine absorbed few oil and the sensor detects it when the oil shifts (when turning). ANY thoughts anyone? I live in NJ and it's really cold here. When was your last oil change? IMO, I don't think it's a serious issue where you have to tow your car but get it checked ASAP.
Umm....have you checked your oil level?????
Old 12-07-2010, 06:09 AM
Instructor

Last oil change would have been mid-August. I called the dealership yesterday and was able to get it looked at.

Here is my mistake. The light that came on was the "Check Oil Level". It came on again on my way to the dealership. This time I actually read what was on the MID. The read oil light came on at the same time.

Well, the dealership said nothing was wrong from what they could tell. The oil life is currently at 30% and they told me to come in at 15% oil life. They put in a dye to see if there were any leaks that weren't visible when they checked the car.

I get the light too when I make sharp turns. Basically any fast acceleration can trigger the light but moreso when there are speed bumps or in construction zones where the lanes are still unpaved and the manholes stick out above the road.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackTSX6MT
Are you sure its not the VSA light?

When you make aggressive sharp turns if you see a quick yellow blink, notice carefully and you will see its a triangle with an exclamation light. thats VSA
Old 12-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elsapo
Are you sure its not the VSA light?

When you make aggressive sharp turns if you see a quick yellow blink, notice carefully and you will see its a triangle with an exclamation light. thats VSA
That could very well be what they are seeing. But cannot believe this guy has not even checked his oil if he thinks the oil light is coming on.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Instructor

Ever since I took it to the dealership, the Check Oil Level on the MID stopped coming on.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:28 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But the question remains. Have YOU ever checked your oil level by looking at the dipstick????

Guys, check the manual. Verification of oil level visually is expected throughout the life of your vehicle. Of course for some of these guys that may not be very long.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Have I checked the oil by using the dipstick?

Yes, that was the first thing I checked after the light came on.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You most likely have low oil, the problem is that it is most likely leaking from somewhere, so i would get it towed free to a dealership and checked out
Old 12-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I'd be curious if somoene who knows the details could answer the question about this. I get the "check oil level" warning in the MID when I make a really fast sharp turn. However the RED Oil Pressure light (i.e. the red oil can) light, the one that means it's probably too late your engine has already been damaged, has never come on. Oil level is perfect.

My question is, is the check oil message in the MID picking up that the oil has sloshed away from the sensor? the Owners manual is rather vague. it states:

(there is a photo of the oil can i.e. low pressure red warning light) Low Oil Pressure Indicator:

This indicator should never come on
when the engine is running. If it
starts flashing or stays on, the oil
pressure has dropped very low or
lost pressure. Serious engine
damage is possible, and you should
take immediate action.

You will also see a ‘‘CHECK
ENGINE OIL LEVEL’’ message on
the multi-information display when
this indicator comes on.

So again the question given I have never seen the red oil pressure light come on, do our vehicles have an oil level sensor?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
pressure and level are not the same thing. and given the excerpt from the manual you posted, i would assume there are sensors for both.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:46 PM
Racer

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts
So my 2010 has this same issue. I've had the car since March of this year and and have had 2 oil changes done.

The first oil change was done with 5W-20. I drove about 2200 miles before I started having the oil light comes on when making turns and sitting on inclines. My oil percentage was at 70%. The second oil change is when I switched to full synthetic and a heavier weight of 5W-30. I made it to 2600 miles, at 70% oil life before I got the same light issues. Each time I checked the dipstick it was below the first dot. Since the second week of August I went to Acura and currently on the second trip at 2400 miles. The dipstick level reads at just past the first dot and oil life is at 80%. When I started the consumption test I was around 76,500 +/- miles and now at 78,500 +/- miles. According to my dealership 5W-20 will get me 5k miles before my next oil change so roughly at 81,000< miles. Going off these numbers and data there has to be some sort of consumption unless my dealership has added an additive that stop or slow down consumption without me knowing it or stating it on the work order. I still have 1200 more miles to drive before I know for sure.

Also, not sure if its a related issue but would oil consumption have an effect of the VTC actuator? Assuming it does because it requires oil pressure to move and only on cold starts or when the car has been sitting for longer than 10 hours do I get a grinding noise on startup that sound like something around my timing chain.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:05 PM
Racer

Burning oil in our TSX's is very common. Many 2011 and down models have this complaint and its hit or miss with newer models. You are currently performing a consumption test under the supervision of an Acura dealer? After 2000k miles you are at ~80%? That almost is exactly one quart. Not too bad (not too great either). If you are working with the dealer on the test, see what that present when they have an idea on which direction to move forward with. Assuming it doesnt get worse would topping it off every ~1k be a deal breaker? I've read more aggresive posts where a owner burns a quart every 500 miles. Not to mention Acura has been known to have a guideline where ~1 quart every 1k is "normal" or "acceptable", but this may be for warranty purposes. Dont quote me on that number but its something ridiculous like that. Run around the forum, there are plenty of discussions on the topic.

I havent heard of an additive that dealers use, but if there is and its working (and provided by the dealer), it may not be the end of the world.

VTC actuator and burning oil are not related. We ALL have this problem, once again hit or miss on how bad it is. I had mine replaced on my 2012 and the next week it had the same startup grind. I've been told/read that this is safe.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You might be seeing a symptom of the dreaded Oil Consumption TSB. Take it to the dealership to have them check it out. They might make you a do a oil consumption test that will measure how much oil you're losing after every thousand miles. The same thing happened to me whenever I took a turn too hard. The display would flash yellow and say "Check Oil Level" only for a split second. If you're burning more oil than your supposed to then they'll say you have to get your piston rings replaced. Tell them about the TSB straight up. I won't forget what the dealership rep said to me when I took my car in to get it checked for the oil consumption issue after an 800+ mile road trip. He opened my hood, checked the oil level and said "Okay, you have NO oil left." Somehow my engine survived and has been rock solid ever since.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SharangCU2
You might be seeing a symptom of the dreaded Oil Consumption TSB. Take it to the dealership to have them check it out. They might make you a do a oil consumption test that will measure how much oil you're losing after every thousand miles. The same thing happened to me whenever I took a turn too hard. The display would flash yellow and say "Check Oil Level" only for a split second. If you're burning more oil than your supposed to then they'll say you have to get your piston rings replaced. Tell them about the TSB straight up. I won't forget what the dealership rep said to me when I took my car in to get it checked for the oil consumption issue after an 800+ mile road trip. He opened my hood, checked the oil level and said "Okay, you have NO oil left." Somehow my engine survived and has been rock solid ever since.
You had no oil but the oil light was not illuminated on the dash?
Old 10-02-2017, 10:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX1012m6
You are currently performing a consumption test under the supervision of an Acura dealer? After 2000k miles you are at ~80%? That almost is exactly one quart. .

The "oil %" light in the dash is not an oil level light.

80% oil life on the dash does not mean that the car consumed 1 quart.

The oil % light is for oil life.

Ideally, the car should not burn oil. You should have ~4.5 quarts into the engine when the light is reset to 100% oil life...and you should have 4.5 quarts left over at 0% oil life.

However, LOTS of modern cars burn oil. LOTS of them. As an indirect result of modern engine design. Its normal. And it is hit or miss.

Check your oil level often. At least every fill up.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
"Like...no oil" is an expression of speech.

The oil lamp light is for oil pressure. Again...not for level. Though, often times, level is correlated to pressure. You can't have pressure without volume....but you can have volume without pressure.

Newer Acuras also come with lights especially for oil LEVEL.

If his oil level light wasn't on, the car probably had like 2.5 or 3qts in the pan still. So it wouldn't set off any lights...but, on the dipstick, it would appear as a level under the dot (Like...no oil).

Last edited by BROlando; 10-02-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:35 AM
Racer

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts
My dealership found that I had 1.75 qts left when they checked it. I'd say I have an oil problem lol
Old 10-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess is that the oil wasn't literally gone but there was a little bit left. That little bit of oil was enough to trigger the "Check Oil Level" light whenever I turned abruptly, which probably caused the oil to splash around in the oil pan.