Oil leak after winter storage ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Oil leak after winter storage ?!?

Hey guys !! I just took out my 2010 v6 from storage , after pulling it out of the garage I noticed a small leak on the garage floor .. The car only has 65000 km ... Only thing I can't think of is a week before storing it I changed the oil some might of dripped afterwards .. Anyone have a clue of what this could be ?? I put the car back in the garage after driving it around for almost an hour to see if this will appear again ... I've read on some other car forums that the seals can shrink during storage and once the oil start running in the engine they expand again .. Could this be the reason ? I still have the Acura plus warranty until 2017 if this comes up to be a major issue .. Thanks everyone !!!
Old 05-06-2016, 12:39 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This happened to me too, 2 seasons ago. (2005 TL) I am certain it is because of the seals shrinking plus the car remaining idle and cold week in, week out. Running it as you did, solved the problem. Just needed love and attention. My advice for next season (did this, this winter) open the garage door every week or two, run the car for 15 minutes or until temperature reaches normal to get fluids and other components active and moving.

The joy of having 2 TL's is... this also happened to one that was active (2008 TL). Turned out it wasn't any type of oil but fluids coming from the transmission cooler lines. It could have turned out disastrous if my pops hadn't spotted the leakage. Ended up having to replace the lines, they were rotted out.

If you are concerned about it, perhaps check that area too.

Side question: Do you notice heavy vibrations when you eventually do take it out of storage? I've noticed that every time and wondering if it's normal.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TL=TrueLove
This happened to me too, 2 seasons ago. (2005 TL) I am certain it is because of the seals shrinking plus the car remaining idle and cold week in, week out. Running it as you did, solved the problem. Just needed love and attention. My advice for next season (did this, this winter) open the garage door every week or two, run the car for 15 minutes or until temperature reaches normal to get fluids and other components active and moving.

The joy of having 2 TL's is... this also happened to one that was active (2008 TL). Turned out it wasn't any type of oil but fluids coming from the transmission cooler lines. It could have turned out disastrous if my pops hadn't spotted the leakage. Ended up having to replace the lines, they were rotted out.

Side question: Do you notice heavy vibrations when you eventually do take it out of storage? I've noticed that every time and wondering if it's normal.
Thanks for your reply !! I haven't noticed any vibrations while driving it this morning ,all was normal except the small oil leak in the garage .. After reading you're reply I'm hoping my issue gets resolved the same as you'res I will take a look at it in a couple of days to see if anything else appears under the car if not , That means I have had the same issues as you and the seals have expanded if not then I will have to take it to the dealer .. I will keep you posted !!
Old 05-06-2016, 11:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
Its probably residual oil from your oil change.

The crank case and trans case is sealed with RTV...not gaskets.
The following users liked this post:
mcmanut (05-14-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 06:42 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: heavy vibration - I wonder if it could be the tires that are "out of round" by sitting all winter. Perhaps the tire pressure can be set at about 40 psi during storage to minimize flat spots.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Update !! After putting my car back in the garage and letting it sit there since Friday .. I came back to check on it and there were no drips on the cardboard .. So I thinking that it might of been residual oil from the past oil change or the seals have expanded after driving it around a bit ..after reading on some forums if it would of been the crankshaft seal or the tranny seal it would have left drips everyday ... Anyways everything looks good for now .. I still might take it to the dealer for a checkup soon just to make sure !!
Old 05-10-2016, 06:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing worse than un$cheduled breakdown$, I'm glad to hear all is functioning normally.

TSXV6Guy I think you're onto something with the tires, I'm pretty sure that's it - it makes sense anyway. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Nothing worse than un$cheduled breakdown$, I'm glad to hear all is functioning normally.

TSXV6Guy I think you're onto something with the tires, I'm pretty sure that's it - it makes sense anyway. Thanks.
When I stored my tsx this past winter I put in maximum pressure so that might of helped lower the chances of getting flat spots
Old 05-19-2016, 01:07 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you had a chance to install the HFP wheels? How do they look?
Old 06-01-2016, 11:21 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give it a few weeks might of been oil left in from when you changed it