Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 02:04 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil consumption

Hey guys, I'm in the market right now of getting a tsx special edition. Preferably a 6 speed manual and I read that they have an oil burning problem. Is this a common problem with the 2012 se's?
Old 08-12-2017, 09:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. But by 2012, the piston ring issues were resloved. I feel that very few 2011+ TSX's burn excessive oil.

But...buy a 6 month powertrain warranty just in case.
Check the oil frequently just in case.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2011 TSX had the oil consumption issue at 72k miles, dealership fixed it for free thankfully. But here's a sign to look out for; the dash sometimes flashes yellow and says "Check Oil Level" when taking a turn rather fast. The message/yellow screen lasts for a split second, probably because the low amount of oil splashing around in the oil pan triggers the oil level sensor to go off. But I also agree with BROlando, the issue seems to be more common with 2011 and earlier models of the CU2. You should be fine. But if you ever see that "Check Oil Level" message show up for a split second then take it to the dealership and have them do the oil consumption test. Which is basically just them topping up your oil and then making you drive a thousand miles three times, so you drive 3k miles, and if your car keeps needing more oil then normal every time they top it off then they'll tell you that you have the oil consumption issue which means your piston rings need to be replaced.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:12 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys, I've googled it and only found like 2 topics where it was a 2012 SE 6mt that had the oil burning problem. Seems like only the tsxs with the 6mt has that problem, but again I was only able to find 2 topics on it. I wasn't sure if they were just unlucky or if it was still a common problem. I was hoping multiple people with a 2012+ 6mt would chime in
Old 08-13-2017, 10:14 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I looked into my car. I own a 2012 SE with 45K. There is a slight oil consumption with my setup of mobile 1 oil and filter. There is a lot that goes into the topic of why it burns. At a 5000k change, it burned about half a quart. I would not call that a oil consumption issue. It's also a 6 speed.

GET THE 6 SPEED.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:22 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
My '12 6MT burned oil pretty much from day 1. I may have posted here about it and you already found it, not sure. Around 38K miles, they replaced my piston rings and whatever else is involved in the oil consumption issue fix. I had been on them for awhile about it and I think they hoped I'd just give up or they'd wait me but they finally relented.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:14 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by scheißterhöffer
My '12 6MT burned oil pretty much from day 1. I may have posted here about it and you already found it, not sure. Around 38K miles, they replaced my piston rings and whatever else is involved in the oil consumption issue fix. I had been on them for awhile about it and I think they hoped I'd just give up or they'd wait me but they finally relented.
Other than the obvious of checking the dip stick routinely, what alerted you of this problem? Low oil light on aggressive turns? Blue smoke out the rear?
Old 08-16-2017, 06:08 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX1012m6
Other than the obvious of checking the dip stick routinely, what alerted you of this problem? Low oil light on aggressive turns? Blue smoke out the rear?
Think I got the low oil light on a turn once. I was aware of the oil consumption issues others were having so I'd monitor the oil pretty closely and add before it got too low. Also my tailpipes would accumulate soot on them over time. But mostly, it was from regularly checking it.

I don't regret buying the 6MT at all in spite of this issue. Maybe I'd feel differently if they hadn't fixed it under warranty and it caused me any real issue. I had an '04 6MT that I eventually traded for an '11 wagon perhaps as some kind of overreaction to fatherhood. 16 months of withdrawal from my daily 6MT fix was all I could take and then I sold that for my '12 6MT. I loved that wagon; if only it had come with the 6MT.