AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TSX (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/)
-   -   OEM Genuine brakes or aftermarket? (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/oem-genuine-brakes-aftermarket-977506/)

Sheefo2k 02-26-2019 03:42 PM

OEM Genuine brakes or aftermarket?

First question, can anyone confirm the minimum allowable rotor width or thickness to replace a rotor?
Now, the fun question, OEM genuine Honda Acura part? or do you have personal experience with aftermarket rotors and pads? If so, how many miles do you have on your aftermarket setup and which brand did you go with?

Car:
Type and brand of brakes (OEM Genuine Honda Acura or Aftermarket):
How many miles:
Easy or hard miles:
Review?

Thank you in advance

robpp 02-27-2019 01:40 PM

centric rotors and stock pads

thoiboi 02-27-2019 01:57 PM

Autozone Max Gold or whatever they call it now. .

Lifetime replacement.

aka free brakes for life.

Sheefo2k 02-28-2019 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16390172)
Autozone Max Gold or whatever they call it now. .

Lifetime replacement.

aka free brakes for life.

Really? Have you had any issues with them? The lifetime warranty is nice but I would rather get something that will last and take a beating. The TSX is a fairly light weight car and it would take a lot to warp a rotor.

Sheefo2k 02-28-2019 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 16390146)
centric rotors and stock pads

This might not be a bad option. I had great luck with the oem rotors and pads. I just don't want to drop the money on the genuine oem rotors unless I have to.
I am also considering just a pad replacement and fluid flush for now. Safe the rotors for later. Any one know the minimum thickness to replace a rotor?

TSX1012m6 02-28-2019 12:14 PM

Centric rotors are not cut near the axle, there will be a big rust ring. I hate it. Might go OEM next.

horseshoez 02-28-2019 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by TSX1012m6 (Post 16390738)
Centric rotors are not cut near the axle, there will be a big rust ring. I hate it. Might go OEM next.

I have no idea what you are saying; the Centric rotors I have on my TL have barely a trace of rust on them, the OEM rotors have rust all over the place.

TSX1012m6 02-28-2019 12:19 PM

I'll grab a photo. The centric rotorss surface area goes beyond just what the pad touches. The OEM rotors only have a surface area of just enough for the pad itself.

horseshoez 02-28-2019 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by TSX1012m6 (Post 16390742)
I'll grab a photo. The centric rotorss surface area goes beyond just what the pad touches. The OEM rotors only have a surface area of just enough for the pad itself.

Sorry, gotta call BS on that; if anything, the pads are wrong on your car.

Sheefo2k 02-28-2019 02:31 PM

Only one way to settle this. Pictures.

thoiboi 02-28-2019 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sheefo2k (Post 16390722)
Really? Have you had any issues with them? The lifetime warranty is nice but I would rather get something that will last and take a beating. The TSX is a fairly light weight car and it would take a lot to warp a rotor.

0 issues. If you do a search here you will see many people also have gone this route

Sheefo2k 02-28-2019 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16390830)

0 issues. If you do a search here you will see many people also have gone this route

Great to know. I will do more research on the autozone brakes. Did you get your pads from them as well?

BROlando 03-02-2019 02:36 PM

The factory pads have the best blend possible of low dust, long life, performance, temp resistance, initial bite, cost, etc.

So...that's an easy choice if you want.

If you choose an aftermarket pad, then figure out what you want the pad to do. To gain more of one thing means compromising on other aspects. Example: Want more performance than OEM? Its possible if you can accept more dust and lower life span.

That kind of thing.

The only reason to deviate from OEM is if you want more OR less of some aspect.

If you're not looking for something in particular, just buy the factory pads.

Any blank rotor with a rust barrier is a fine choice, though. Factory, aftermarket, "performance", whatever you want...it pretty much works the same.

General Vodka 03-02-2019 06:25 PM

no need for drilled or slotted rotors. They are just for looks anyways.

Sheefo2k 03-05-2019 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by BROlando (Post 16391786)
The factory pads have the best blend possible of low dust, long life, performance, temp resistance, initial bite, cost, etc.

So...that's an easy choice if you want.

If you choose an aftermarket pad, then figure out what you want the pad to do. To gain more of one thing means compromising on other aspects. Example: Want more performance than OEM? Its possible if you can accept more dust and lower life span.

That kind of thing.

The only reason to deviate from OEM is if you want more OR less of some aspect.

If you're not looking for something in particular, just buy the factory pads.

Any blank rotor with a rust barrier is a fine choice, though. Factory, aftermarket, "performance", whatever you want...it pretty much works the same.

Do you have any information on the minimum rotor thickness before switching rotors?

BROlando 03-05-2019 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sheefo2k (Post 16393290)
Do you have any information on the minimum rotor thickness before switching rotors?

Nope. It should be stamped on the rotor.

Not something I pay much attention to. For many reasons, I use new rotors with every pad change.

They're cheap. Pads need to mate to the rotor...and this is MUCH easier with a fresh surface, etc.

horseshoez 03-05-2019 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by BROlando (Post 16393325)
Nope. It should be stamped on the rotor.

Not something I pay much attention to. For many reasons, I use new rotors with every pad change.

They're cheap. Pads need to mate to the rotor...and this is MUCH easier with a fresh surface, etc.

^This! 'Nuff said.

thoiboi 03-05-2019 06:08 PM

agreed:nod: