New TSX vs. New Accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:10 AM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question New TSX vs. New Accord

Well, it seems to me that those own TSX's love JDM.
Seems to me that many want to make their Acuras into Hondas.
Seems to me none of us really have a problem with Honda or the Accord.

So, I think these two need to be put side by side for those who are considering
buying a new TSX.

Pictures:

Acura on Left, Honda on Right

vs.

vs.

vs.

vs.

vs.

vs.

vs.

vs.

vs.

vs.

vs.

Acura Loaded = +/- $34,000 Honda Loaded = +/- $32,000

So why buy the Acura and not the Honda?
Because the rear end is nicer?

Let's get some opinions going, I know there's plenty here, let's hear 'em.
Let's dig out some stats too and really compare the two.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:49 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One factor people will consider is the size.
Accord ---- big family
TSX ---- small family/ single

Another thing. I don't know if it's still the same on the new generation. But for the current generation, I feel the close door sound of Accord and TSX are different.
TSX sounds more upscale than Accord.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:21 AM
Instructor

This may also play a factor for some people but we all know not alot of people buy accords cause they are everywhere. While this fresh tsx is gonna take some time getting used too, i remember when the 350z and the scion tc first came out, no one liked the look of either of the two but it got some getting use to and now opinons have changed.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Don't get me wrong the Accord is a fine car. Fully loaded it's more than enough car. I think for a family (especially with kids) the Accord is a very compelling choice. However, if one is single or in a DINK (dual income no kids) relationship I'd go with the TSX. Like I've said I think the new generation TSX looks more upscale than the former. Fully loaded with that tech package I imagine the stereo system is amazing. Also it's supposed to be the prestige brand of Honda.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Advanced

Good comparison. I have gone from an 7 gen accord v6 sedan with leather to a 1st generation TSX. I did go to the honda dealer and I try a 8 gen accord v6 before i made up my mind. The current accord is big, confortable and powerfull. Interior speaking, the tsx is a couple of notch above any of the 2 accord. Beside, I have a 1 kid and a tsx is better than the accord just because the rear seat can be folded 60/40. 7 gen and 8 gen accord sedan, only fold in one part. really bad when you need to put something long in the trunk but you have the baby seat in the way.

Both car are good but the tsx is better build than the accord.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:12 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
The Accord Coupe needs to be put next to the TSX, too. I think a lot of us are young singles or DINKs for whom the extra two doors are nice but not really necessary.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Instructor

awesome comparison...and that TSX rear end is quite the looker. Maybe it's something about TSX's and rear ends because i think my current '04 has the best looking rear end.

Our family has an accord and a TSX, although the accord is very old, i've riden and driven the newer ones and i think they're quite comparable. It's just the Acura badge that makes the TSX better. TSX, however, does feel quite a bit more sporty, not stronger or faster, just sporty. and oh yes, the TSX interior is just bangin.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Hail Hail

Originally Posted by OoKrnBoi0331oO
awesome comparison...and that TSX rear end is quite the looker. Maybe it's something about TSX's and rear ends because i think my current '04 has the best looking rear end.

Our family has an accord and a TSX, although the accord is very old, i've riden and driven the newer ones and i think they're quite comparable. It's just the Acura badge that makes the TSX better. TSX, however, does feel quite a bit more sporty, not stronger or faster, just sporty. and oh yes, the TSX interior is just bangin.
I came from an Accord to the TSX. The stiffer suspension & overall characteristics were the real selling points for me, even compared to the TL at the time (2004). I don't think things have changed much with the 2009 TSX & Accord.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is premium fuel still required by the Acura? I believe the Honda runs on regular.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:17 PM
JDM Addict

Originally Posted by jlukja
Is premium fuel still required by the Acura? I believe the Honda runs on regular.
Yes, Acura demands premium and Honda only Regular, still.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:33 PM
08 MDX with Sports

Accord is boat on 4 wheels that takes regular gas and has 3yrs warranty.
Sold 200k-250k units in America aka every other Mike/John/Jimmy owns one.

TSX cost more / demands premium gas and has 4yrs warranty.
Sold 45k-50k units a year in the states, cursed because TSX owners always want to buy 3 series or 5 series BMW after like 18-20 months.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:00 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MMsTSX
Yes, Acura demands premium and Honda only Regular, still.

Why is that?

What happens if you put regular in a TSX?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:06 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by GeorgeTSX
Why is that?

What happens if you put regular in a TSX?
Your car will suddenly turn into 200 squirrels, and they will attack you. I could be wrong. Search might bring up some better answers. I think this has been asked before. I dunno.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
Your car will suddenly turn into 200 squirrels, and they will attack you. I could be wrong. Search might bring up some better answers. I think this has been asked before. I dunno.
Yeah, you're wrong. It's badgers, not squirrels. Idiot. Don't you know anything?

Seriously, the octane rating of the fuel determines its resistance to premature detonation in the combustion chamber (knocking). Your engine has a sensor that will attempt to adapt to lower-octane fuel by adjusting the timing, but this isn't what it was designed to do, and I think it affects emissions too. Now why they couldn't eke out this power without bumping up to a 11:1 compression ratio is beyond me. Remember that 91 octane (in US measurement) is the common fuel in Europe, so my guess is they just didn't bother. It's only a 7-8% cost difference these days anyway.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
if it was me, i would pick the TSX, it seems to me that at different times i sorta like the new TSX and at other times I truly hate it. But boy do they look very similar. First mod to a new TSX would be to change those disgusting rims and lower it. Definitely get a manual though.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Banned

Why do people say the TSX is for DINCs and the Accord is for families; does few inches realy make that big of a difference? Are the kids going to cry if they don't have way way more than enough leg room? I've seen families in Civics and I don't get the sense that they're dying in there. Is it because the Accord is a fluffy soft car and people with families no longer get to have / or want to have fun?

For me even the current TSX is a bit too big to be an actual sports sedan. The Integra 4 door struck me as a sporty sedan that put comfort very last and small size first. It was a truely cruel ride. The current TSX is a cruise ship by comparison.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Cruisin'

The rear end of the Accord just looks so pedestrian, it looks like a GM car from the back. And the Accord looks too long with those half-arsed exaggerated (TL inpired?) side body lines. The Accord has had three completely different rear ends in the past four years, whatever happened to the idea of making them look like a "Honda"? At least honda got rid of that hideous Cadillac-like embedded middle brake light that the 2006-7 had, i hate that.

The Accord continues to be a great value, as those who have had an Accord know. I think you could get a nice leather Accord for under 25000 easy... if you are going to spend more, why not go upscale?

The TSX, just like everybody has said many times now, has an awkward ugky grill front, has lame un-luxury-like un-honda-like wheels and odd macho fender wheel flares. I'm happy with TSX i have.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by human668
One factor people will consider is the size.
Accord ---- big family
TSX ---- small family/ single

Another thing. I don't know if it's still the same on the new generation. But for the current generation, I feel the close door sound of Accord and TSX are different.
TSX sounds more upscale than Accord

haha, it sounds kind of silly, but I really like it too! I've never heard the accords, but I will always pick on my mother. She drives a Caddy CTS (not the newest generation) and I think the sound the door makes sounds alot better on the TSX!
Old 03-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I think that Honda is trying so hard with the Accord that it has pretty much brought it up to the entry-level luxury segment with the more upscale models like EX. I am having a hard time differentiating between the Accord and the TSX interiors - which is more upscale? It's certainly very hard to tell from the photos!
Old 03-23-2008, 02:57 AM
Instructor

My wife will be purchasing an 09 TSX over the 09 Accord ONLY because of the following two reasons:

1) Once you have a car with HID lights you will not want to go back to the Accords
halogen headlights. And no, aftermarket HID's are not the same.

2) TSX = ELS 400+ watt sound system. Owning 97, 00 and 06 Accords, I know first
hand how horrible ( for lack of a better word ) Accord audio systems are.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:38 AM
gets all the crazy chicks

Honestly, I think the Accord EX is a smarter buy than the TSX (for people like me anyway, who don't really care about leather, HID's are sweet but not necessary, etc)...I do like the bluetooth, which Honda only offers on the top of the line Accord.

If you do need the leather, then yeah I don't understand why you wouldn't buy a TSX (maybe insurance? the TSX costs 50% more to insure than a new Accord would have, for me)
Old 03-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
No manumatic on Accord = bad.

Automatic, no doubt that I would buy the '08+ Accord. Couldn't say this with previous generation.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
I now have a 08 Accord, EX-L V6, auto, and loving it. I came from a TL-S (2003) and the Accord is not a boat. Grant you, not a sports car, but for everyday driving it handles well. The only thing I'm missing is the Navi., but I didn't want one. Total cost was $26,100, this is alot of car for that amount.

I get more comments from people than my TL on how nice it looks and can't believe that I have 268 HP.

The new TSX looks nice and I'm sure it will handle and sell well. But for me, I like the way the new Accord looks and for the money I saved, it was a not a hard choice for me.

Everyone will make a choice on what they like and what they want in a car. As long as you are happy in your choice, then buy it and enjoy.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
The Accord is an an appliance. People buy it in spite of caring what it is.

TSX is more of an emotional automobile. Not much, but slightly.

I personally believe that the Honda Accord has lost a lot of the "cachet" it once had (i.e late 1980s / early 1990s). I would easily cross-shop it with a mid-range American car if I was in the market for one.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by lindros2
The Accord is an an appliance. People buy it in spite of caring what it is.

TSX is more of an emotional automobile. Not much, but slightly.

I personally believe that the Honda Accord has lost a lot of the "cachet" it once had (i.e late 1980s / early 1990s). I would easily cross-shop it with a mid-range American car if I was in the market for one.
An appliance, LOL, never looked at it as that, believe me. I care in the cars I buy and looked at others before the new Accord. My son had a 2004 TL that was nothing but a rattle box. My 2003 TL-S was fine untill the trans. let go at 41,000 miles.

After seeing the new TSX, I'm for one am glad I got my V6 Accord. Handling if fine, besides where I live everything is flat with some hills, so I wasn't looking into that as a major point in buying a car.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Hail Hail

I agree, I don't see the V6 Accord as being an appliance. I had a 1999 Accord EX-V6, and really enjoyed driving it. The only problem (aside from the transmission) I'd say was with the handling, but it definitely didn't feel like an appliance! The new Accords are even better, but I'd be surprised if anyone cross-shopped an Accord with a TSX.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by human668
TSX sounds more upscale than Accord.

I used to own an 07 TSX and the doors sound dingy/tinny as hell.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:31 PM
cmd
Instructor

Originally Posted by IIIII
I used to own an 07 TSX and the doors sound dingy/tinny
Totally agree. I use to own a SAAB 9-3 and 9-5. I hated the sound of the TSX doors if they were slammed. Perhaps sound deadening would help?

As far as Accord vs TSX. The Accord is VERY nice and has WAY too many similar parts/design to bash it. Now that the 09 TSX has come to light, if I were in the market I'd have to really give thought to a V6 Accord. The style is in many ways nicer -- the grill has doesn't look like it came from Saturn and the TSX fenders look like they were studying the old Altima a bit too much. Over all not real impress with the new design. Seems like step backwards were Accord took a step in the right direction -- and if you don't have kids, get a coupe!!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by cmd
Totally agree. I use to own a SAAB 9-3 and 9-5. I hated the sound of the TSX doors if they were slammed. Perhaps sound deadening would help?
I used to own a Saturn L300. I constantly had problems with shutting the door only to discover it wasn't all the way closed. Needless to say I quickly learned to slam the doors. Believe me when I say that absolutely nothing sounds worse than slamming the doors on a plastic car.

Since I bought the TSX I don't ever recall once having tried to close the door and it not closing all the way. The only time it's ever gotten half-closed is if it's inadvertently fallen back or been blown shut from the innermost stop. No matter how I close it, it gets closed all the way.

If I close it gently, it goes "whump" and closes correctly every time. If I slam it, it goes "ting". The "ting" is just your car's way of telling you that you're closing the door too hard. I've even trained my coworkers to close the doors gently.

The moral of the story is: don't slam the doors!
Old 03-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Celtic FC
The new Accords are even better, but I'd be surprised if anyone cross-shopped an Accord with a TSX.
We cross shopped the new Accord EX-L Coupe (4cyl w/Navi) versus the TSX. Currently, the TSX is the better buy, in our opinion, as Honda isn't backing off the pricing much. We felt the TSX interior appointments were more luxurious, the seats were sportier and more comfortable (the Accord seats were flatter), the 4 cyl a shade peppier, we liked gated tiptonic shifter and setup, and the Acura warranty is better.....the pricing was essentially the same.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:00 AM
Instructor

..Acura on Left, Honda on Right..
Correction, Acura on right, Honda on left. Great post thx for the side by side pic comparison
TSX is made in Japan. Plus there is fewer TSXs then Accords out there
Ill take the TSX anytime.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:41 AM
Instructor

After owning an 07 TSX...........if i ever had to do it all over again i would pick a fully loaded V6 Accord over the TSX any day now.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 AM
for EVER more!

The tech in the new TSX (iPod integration / XM weather / XM traffic / Zagat / ELS sound) and that back end have totally flipped me around to really liking this car so much. If it gets a diesel i will hands down trade in my 06. In my opinion there is no car out there that combines amenities with driveability like the TSX.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Well, I'll throw out my input as an Accord V6 coupe owner.

Although they're priced exactly the same (for 1st gen. tsx and 7th gen. accord v6 ex), I thought the target was different for 4dr. to 4dr. 4dr accord v6 is definitely for the big family. I think the 2 door target is more close to tsx as someone already mentioned it earlier in the thread.

They were both 27,900 if I remember correctly.

I think TSX has a more 'luxury' and sporty appeal to it than the accord 2 or 4 doors. it has good clean lines and "prettier" interior with blue/white lights. You do get 1 year extra wrranty, but you do get the V6 power in the accord for the same price.

Although I loved both, I ended up with Accord. Reason was 600(?) destination off of sticker on TSX vs. 4000 off on my Accord. After driving it, I loved the V6 lot more than the 4 banger on TSX that I had to rev so high to get similar power.

For the look, I did end up getting OE kit, HFP suspension and TL rims which improved the look by 100000 times better than factory accord.

Now for the new generation models, I'll have to say the same. 2door accord is more of same market to TSX. People who looks at the accord sedan are usually the mid 20s to 60s who has a family or care for the size of the car...

I think TSX has a great appeal with its design (except for its stupid grill), features and price (assuming it stays in similar range) for the young single adults. It doesn't scream out "family sedan."

for myself, I'd get the TSX over accord now as I don't want huge sedan or 2 doors. Now the engine part.. I'll have to give my thumbs up to Accord.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PittIsIt
The tech in the new TSX (iPod integration / XM weather / XM traffic / Zagat / ELS sound) and that back end have totally flipped me around to really liking this car so much. If it gets a diesel i will hands down trade in my 06. In my opinion there is no car out there that combines amenities with driveability like the TSX.

I read somewhere that it will be getting a Turbo Diesel.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
... Pictures:

Acura on Left, Honda on Right
Um ... I think you have left and right mixed up.... It would've been interesting to mix the pics up a bit, hide the badges, and ask us to guess which vehicle the pic is from.

Why the Acura and not the Honda? The "red carpet" treatment of Acura ... the resale value retention (there are less TSX' sold than Accords; I know, when I was shopping, there were SCADS of Accords) ... color choice ... dash layout ... MPG? There aren't a LOT of big differences there, are there.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Celtic FC
I agree, I don't see the V6 Accord as being an appliance. I had a 1999 Accord EX-V6, and really enjoyed driving it. The only problem (aside from the transmission) I'd say was with the handling, but it definitely didn't feel like an appliance! The new Accords are even better, but I'd be surprised if anyone cross-shopped an Accord with a TSX.
Actually, I did (3 year old models, that is). I was looking at Accord EX coupes (V6 and I4), 2004, 2005, 2006, and started considering 2005, 2006 TSX'. After driving a V6 Accord coupe, then an I4 coupe (both EX), I drove a 2005 TSX and a 2006 RSX, and my mind was made up. I made an offer on a 2006 TSX sight unseen the next morning (CPO over a Carmax unit). The TSX DID feel more upscale and refined. The coupe felt like I was in a submarine.

Oh, btw, my extended warranty (to 100,000 miles) was $600 cheaper on a 2006 TSX than a 2005 Accord V6. Wonder why.... I think I spent a $1000 more on the TSX than I would've for an Accord, and got several bells and whistles for the bargain (remember, comparing a 2006 TSX with a 2005 or 2006 Accord EX).

I forgot to mention, for parents, the rear door opening angle is a big deal, for all the times you're buckling in the kidlins. I like the nice wide opening right rear door of my TSX. I didn't compare with US Accords, though.

I like how my door sounds, BTW. But I've had a guest slam a rear door ... I cringed! The doors only need a little nudge, the springs close them on their own usually. I like that. So the sound really depends on how hard you "close" the door. I seem to recall the Accord coupes needed more force for those big doors.

Originally Posted by darmok
Since I bought the TSX I don't ever recall once having tried to close the door and it not closing all the way. The only time it's ever gotten half-closed is if it's inadvertently fallen back or been blown shut from the innermost stop. No matter how I close it, it gets closed all the way.

If I close it gently, it goes "whump" and closes correctly every time. If I slam it, it goes "ting". The "ting" is just your car's way of telling you that you're closing the door too hard. I've even trained my coworkers to close the doors gently.
Hear, hear. I chided coworkers later, "Please don't slam the door, it doesn't need it." I became the butt of some ribbing on account of it. But I have been able to get my door's half-closed ... by hardly nudging the door at all. Just pressing through a spring stop and letting the door do the rest. On a downhill, the door closes, on a level grade, sometimes it half-closes. A very few ft-lbs of pressure closes the door on the TSX. That's ... nice. That's ... good engineering, I think. If the Accords don't do that, ... could it be the difference in factory?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Banned

The Accord actualy looks like more of luxury car, and stats wise probably is more qualified to be called one with the exception of no HIDs. The Accord in this color looks especialy stately:

whereas the new TSX, especialy in this color, looks like a cross competitor with a Mazda some number here

Old 03-25-2008, 02:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
whereas the new TSX, especialy in this color, looks like a cross competitor with a Mazda some number here

Fact is, it wasn't designed to be a luxury car. (see Euro Accord) All they did was slap an A on it. Somehow it worked better on the first gen IMO. Probably had something to do with the interior.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Banned

At $34,000 with the technology package with the outside apearance of a $25,000 car (if that) I'm looking forward to seeing how the TSX does sales wise, and if it does poorly will Acura even care or do they perceive a rebadged Euro Accord as found money?

Quick Reply: New TSX vs. New Accord