Anyone have an aftermarket remote start?

Old 10-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have an aftermarket remote start?

Hey guys I just purchased the ComputStar CS4202-S-KIT from best buy. They have a sale on it with free installation. I have a few questions.

1. Does the car know when to heat and cool? Is it based on the temp last set in the car? Does it control your heated seats?
2. Do you keep your normal key fob and have two large key fobs on your keychain or do you have regular keys cut to get rid of the factory key fob since you now can control with your aftermarket (doors and trunk)?
3. If you got rid of your factory keyfob, is there a way to keep how the car knows whether it's driver 1 or driver 2 in the car?

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
We had a simple aftermarket remote start put on my wife's MDX last year. Here's my experience:
  1. It remembers what the last set temp was, so if you float in the 68-72 degree range like we do and you've got your climate control set to "Auto", it'll heat/cool to the last set temp.
  2. Yes, we have two fobs, though since we got a simple system, the remote for start/stop is extremely tiny - roughly the size of 3 quarters stacked together. The remarkable thing is that it's got a legit 300-400 foot range, vs the factory fob working within 50-100 feet if you're lucky.
  3. Moot point - you'll always need the factory fob for driver memory. This is one slightly annoying thing about the aftermarket remote start - it assumes you're the last driver who used the vehicle. The only way to make sure it loads the proper driver is to shut the car off, use the factory fob to lock and subsequently unlock, then start the car with your key.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Cruisin'

That was quick, thanks! I purchased a remote start like your talking about for my wife's honda pilot. It worked well for her.

On:
1. Thanks that is good to know. I'm not too concerned about the heated seats coming on although the compustar says that it can turn them on. I was hoping to see if someone was able to confirm that way when I go to the installer I can say so.
2. Yes, the range on this compustar says 3000ft, but I doubt it will go that far. That would be crazy!
3. What all does the driver memory do anyways besides move the seat? This will primarily be my daughters car so like you said, this is only slightly annoying.

I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stingray240CS
That was quick, thanks! I purchased a remote start like your talking about for my wife's honda pilot. It worked well for her.

On:
1. Thanks that is good to know. I'm not too concerned about the heated seats coming on although the compustar says that it can turn them on. I was hoping to see if someone was able to confirm that way when I go to the installer I can say so.
2. Yes, the range on this compustar says 3000ft, but I doubt it will go that far. That would be crazy!
3. What all does the driver memory do anyways besides move the seat? This will primarily be my daughters car so like you said, this is only slightly annoying.

I really appreciate the feedback.
It may only be seat, can't remember if driver memory affects radio memory in the TSX like it does in the MDX.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Cruisin'

Yeah, it controls seat and radio memory in my wife's TLX. My wife actually hates that part of it since she likes to control the radio stations and it makes it harder for her when I drive, haha. I'm guessing it doesn't in the TSX. Not my 2010 anyway.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:26 AM
Advanced

i have the viper 2 way remote 4806 started installed in my TSX by Bestbuy.
it is suppose to have a mile range.it can work from a very long range as far as i can tell.
2 way confirmation works best letting you know if the car has started or not.
i have to carry my OEM acura key fob and the remote starter.
it doesnt control anything else other than the trunk.

love it for ohio winters
Old 10-18-2017, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I have DroneMobile with cell feature so I don't have to carry any extra key fobs. No complaints, and worth every penny.
https://www.dronemobile.com/

Picture because everyone likes pictures.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sheefo2k:
Mipps (08-21-2019), xtcnrice (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 08:41 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
true, I like pictures
Old 10-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the input Zach. MIne controls doors, trunck, and starting so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the OEM keyfob.

DroneMobile is really cool. I think the smartwatch app would be a nice plus as well. I almost went that direction, but I'm not a fan of ongoing payments on things. Probably me just being cheap. And yes, pictures are nice!

Search this Thread