My impressions of the '09 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
My impressions of the '09 TSX

I test drove an '09 the other day just to see what it was like.

Though I now have an '07 TL-S 6 speed, I used to have an '06 TSX 6 speed. I enjoyed TSX a lot and I do still miss it despite the TL-S having "more" of everything.

As others have stated, the '09 looks like a bigger car, and it feels bigger once you get inside. It is also very quiet inside compared to the older car. I prefer the seats in my former '06 than the seats in the '09--something about the lumbar support area of the backrest didn't feel right to me on the '09. The leather in the '09 however feels like it might be a better quality.

The '09 has the sunroof switch on the ceiling near the sunroof where it should be like my TL-S instead of Honda's senselessly traditional place hidden out of plain view and reach to the left of the driver (I HATED this about my '06). I prefer the layout and appearance of the center console stuff on the '06. The '09 lacks those large and very useful storage bins below the radio, so that's kind of a bummer. The '09 (like the '06) has a storage area for sunglasses on the ceiling. My TL-S does not, and I wish it did.

I'm not digging the exterior design in any way, and I'll just leave it at that.

If you want a really sporty feeling driver's car, the '09 TSX might not be the best choice for you. If you want a somewhat sizable 4 door sedan that's effortless to drive at a normal pace, with a lot of luxury bits and features, and you want to stay around $30,000, the '09 TSX is perfect.

The steering in the '09 feels very light and there is virtually no feedback except some high order vibration when the engine is wound up. The steering ratio seems very quick too (not sure if it is). This quickness combined with the light and numb steering can result in you wandering around in your lane and it makes it hard to hold a good "line" through a turn, regardless of how focused you are.

Cars with good steering and road feel allow you to exercise your sense of feel along with sight and sound to really become one with the machine. This new '09 TSX takes the sense of feel out of the equation, so what you're left with is just sight and not much sound, and a steering wheel that is unnaturally sensitive. While this car might have high handling limits, it isn't going to be intuitive to learn them.

This car had an automatic transmission. The paddle shifters are a neat touch, but like the other Acura automatics, there is latency.

While the engine seemed to produce adequate torque, I think my '06 6 speed felt a bit stronger down low. Maybe that's just an artifact of having an automatic transmission? Up high, my '06 would out-accelerate the '09. There is no visceral surge of power, I only felt the slightest bit of ramp-up from like 5500 RPM to 7000 RPM. This is not a particularly exciting engine, both the sound and power are muted. Another thing to note--there is no obvious VTEC switchover or sound, and that's probably a good thing.

Overall, the '09 TSX isn't for me, but it is a better car for the money than, say, an IS250. I will be curious to drive the diesel when it arrives as well as the future Type-S (who knows when that will be). Perhaps the Type-S will address some of the missing sportiness.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good review. I agree 100%.
I just test drove one this weekend and found I like my wifes 07 tsx alot better.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Based on Temple of VTEC's dyno tests, I think the "lack" of vtec detected is because there's smooth power throughout the RPMs. I guess that's good, though disconcertingly unfamiliar to a 1st gen driver.

I have the 2006 with 5AT, and when I'm, in SSM, don't feel much latency. Then, I moved to a TSX from an old (really old) Jeep. The smaller wheel appeals to me, but I do like the gentle but present steering feedback in my model.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:08 PM
TSX Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
Based on Temple of VTEC's dyno tests, I think the "lack" of vtec detected is because there's smooth power throughout the RPMs. I guess that's good, though disconcertingly unfamiliar to a 1st gen driver.

I have the 2006 with 5AT, and when I'm, in SSM, don't feel much latency. Then, I moved to a TSX from an old (really old) Jeep. The smaller wheel appeals to me, but I do like the gentle but present steering feedback in my model.
VTEC does kick in at 5000 RPM (instead of 6000). It now goes to a larger cam so smoothly you can hardly feel it.