"Mugen" full front gill replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 04:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"Mugen" full front gill replacement

Hey guys, I'm putting this post up to try and help anyone like myself who was curious but couldn't find any help. A lot of us have a beef with the factory grill on the CU2 and I've come across many pics of paint matched/plasti dipped/ and blacked out grills. I tried the plasti dip thing and although I liked it more that the stock silver I was never happy with it. I also came across a few posts of guys paint matching it to the bellanova white but it really wasn't for me. So yes, with no other real options out there I bought an aftermarket fiberglass grill and put a Mugen badge on for fun.

I'm sure everyone out there will have there opinions but I'm honestly just posting this to help the curious, not looking for approval lol, couldn't care less. I'm in Ontario, Canada, so all in with taxes, shipping, paint and the badge, this cost me about $300. I would suggest to have a buddy to help you with the install because this stuff is always easier with an extra set of hands.

The biggest thing you'll find is that after you remove the bumper, and you think you have the fitment perfect, you'll flex the bumper back onto the fame of the car and your fitment is going to be way off. Fun times with aftermarket fiberglass, I know. I ended up drilling 2 small holes down through the top of the grill so I could feed a zip tie through and pull the upper corners in to come as flush with the bumper as possible. You're never going to get 100% factory fitment with this stuff so try to not pull your hair out. Take your time.

This post is just so you guys can see how this grill can look and ask questions if you feel curious. One thing I will say is that the metal grill itself won't let me place the badge perfectly centered and straight, so I opted for the off center look for now, but I do have plans on modifying the grill so I can center it. And YES, an actual Mugen full front bumper is ten thousand times better and YES I do plan on having one in the near future.
Attached Thumbnails "Mugen" full front gill replacement-img_1587.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:30 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Nice work! $300 with paint is pretty good, especially since we live in Canada haha. Where in Ontario are you from?
Old 11-09-2017, 09:57 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
Nice work! $300 with paint is pretty good, especially since we live in Canada haha. Where in Ontario are you from?
Hey thanks man! Not perfect but I really wasn’t a fan of the stock front end. After doing the grill and adding the front lips or “fangs” or whatever people are calling them I was much happier. I’m in Waterloo so it looks like I’m just about an hour from you
xtcnrice (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 10:38 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Originally Posted by ShinGouki
Hey thanks man! Not perfect but I really wasn’t a fan of the stock front end. After doing the grill and adding the front lips or “fangs” or whatever people are calling them I was much happier. I’m in Waterloo so it looks like I’m just about an hour from you
Awesome! I'm rarely in Loo but maybe someday we'll cross roads
Old 11-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
Awesome! I'm rarely in Loo but maybe someday we'll cross roads

Yeah man I’d like to check out your build some time. I’m in desperate search of a Modulo rear right now, and I have everything I need now for my RL caliper conversion, I’m going to wait until spring to install it
xtcnrice (11-10-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 11:25 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Where did you purchase the grill from?
Old 11-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TSX1012m6
Where did you purchase the grill from?
Hey man, I found it on a few different sites but this is the one I got on eBay. It's just a no name from Hong Kong lol. I didn't go for the MV tuning one because when you read the fine print description it turns out theirs is NOT a full grill replacement. With the MV one you have to basically take the stock grill apart and install the mesh and outer frame onto it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Acura-T...1T~H01&vxp=mtr

That's the one I ordered, and then ordered a 12 dollar Mugen badge. If you pick it up and have any install questions just ask. That's why I started this thread. Oh, and this grill is specifically for the 2011-2014
Old 11-12-2017, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Wife likes this. Not sure about the Mugen on there for our wagon, may try to do the A instead.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ImBroke
Wife likes this. Not sure about the Mugen on there for our wagon, may try to do the A instead.

I'm not 100% on the Mugen there as it is now, but I think after I center it I'll enjoy it more. I considered doing the A as well, but just as a heads up I can almost guarantee you that you will have to cut the grill to do it perfect center. I would imagine the grills all come with slightly different placements, the holes are probably all in different places from one grill to the next. But if you do the A I'd love to see it!
Old 11-13-2017, 06:49 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Have Dremel, nothing can stop me... lol. I may have to get creative this winter. I have other projects of course, but this is something I can do in the basement. I'll post pics as I get there, but it won't be for at least two months.