Motortrend TSX Comparo Gallery and Grille Public Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motortrend TSX Comparo Gallery and Grille Public Opinion

Found 2 interesting link below that have extreme opinions posted. Maybe we can also join the comments section and give them acurazine's impressions.

Refreshing or Revolting: 2009 Acura TSX
http://wot.motortrend.com/6253575/mi...tsx/index.html

"The 2009 Acura TSX replaces a car that far exceeded the expectations of Acura's parent company, Honda, when it was introduced for the 2004 model year. The 2009 TSX is based on the European Honda Accord (like the previous TSX) but the Acura distinguishes itself with a few exterior changes like the controversial "power plenum" grille."

Motortrend 2008/9 Acura TSX Comparison Gallery
http://www.motortrend.com/photo_gall...ery/index.html

"The 2009 Acura TSX replaces a car that far exceeded the expectations of Acura's parent company, Honda, when it was introduced for the 2004 model year. The 2009 TSX is based on the European Honda Accord (like the previous TSX) but the Acura distinguishes itself with a few exterior modifications like the controversial "power plenum" grille.

Is the 2009 Acura TSX better looking than the 2008 TSX or is the new model just bigger?"
Old 05-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
The comments sound like the same 'knee-jerk' reactions we saw here. We now have many folks that blasted the car initially starting to come around after seeing it in person. IMO, nothing new.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:14 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Grill = Huge mistake, from a business perspective, and design perspective.

It almost seems like the 1st Gen TSX looks like the newer version for some reason.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Racer

it's a love/hate thing i guess... as for me, i love it!
Old 05-31-2008, 07:37 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by xenonhid
Grill = Huge mistake, from a business perspective, and design perspective.
How is it a hige mistake from a business perspective when the car hasn't even posted a full month of sales yet? The MDX was the first Acura to receive the new grill and now it is the best selling Acura in the lineup. You need to give the TSX AT LEAST a year of sales before you can call it a huge business mistake.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
How is it a hige mistake from a business perspective when the car hasn't even posted a full month of sales yet? The MDX was the first Acura to receive the new grill and now it is the best selling Acura in the lineup. You need to give the TSX AT LEAST a year of sales before you can call it a huge business mistake.
I agree! And what is wrong with making a bold statement anyway? The haters can say what they want but, I enjoy mine more every time I drive it.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
Isn't the TL the all-time best selling Acura (not including this year b/c of redesign coming)?
Old 05-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Suzuka Master

The two cars seem to trade top honors back and forth. Both MDX and TL have production capacities of 60-70k. This should give you an idea of what Acura expects from both models.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
there are some harsh comments at motortrend
Old 05-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by godfather2
there are some harsh comments at motortrend
Just seems like the same ol' stuff that we see here...
Old 05-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
true but it hits home when non-aziners feel the same way
Old 05-31-2008, 11:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by godfather2
true but it hits home when non-aziners feel the same way
Actually, I saw it differently. I would have expected the knowing folks here to be more accepting of something new and the general public to be more critical. If anything, I think its the other way around. Kinda sad really.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:24 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I find that some of the comments are based on the wrong facts. For instance, there's this person who says there's no changes to the engine. Then some of them complain about not gaining hp, but gaining weight, but they obviously haven't seen the C/D numbers yet. Another person talks about Acura using two Honda Accord chassis's. I don't see anything wrong when the two Accords are totally different. And then Lexus and Infiniti share platforms too - IS is based on the GS, which is essentially based on Toyota Crown, G sedan/coupe is basically the Nissan Skyline..etc.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Colin
Actually, I saw it differently. I would have expected the knowing folks here to be more accepting of something new and the general public to be more critical. If anything, I think its the other way around. Kinda sad really.
When you have that kind of broad consensus saying something sucks it means it actualy sucks.

The truth is that the grill is a hurdle potential TSX buyers must clear in order to buy the car, they will have to a) be so impressed with everything else that they look past the exterior defects or b) not care about grills in the first place.

There's simply no doubt that if Honda/Acura had designed a tasteful grill they would sell a few more TSX's to the buyers who are critical about such things.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:33 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wackura
When you have that kind of broad consensus saying something sucks it means it actualy sucks.

The truth is that the grill is a hurdle potential TSX buyers must clear in order to buy the car, they will have to a) be so impressed with everything else that they look past the exterior defects or b) not care about grills in the first place.

There's simply no doubt that if Honda/Acura had designed a tasteful grill they would sell a few more TSX's to the buyers who are critical about such things.
Good logic. Without taking a "broad consensus", how would anyone know what they liked or didn't like. Perhaps we should post pictures of our spouses online before we get married to get a "consensus" on whether or not they "suck." I mean God forbid that anyone would have an opinion based on their own tastes, choices, and independent thought.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:49 AM
Banned

Acura/Honda wants to design cars that appeal to a wide range of people and tastes, not just you specifically. If a wide range of people have negative things to say about the design then they have obviously failed. I know some people like the grill, but they're either in the minority or they don't really care about grills in the first place.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The broad consensus is that the gen 1 TSX was way too bland... very forgettable in a market where all of the players are introducing boldly styled cars. The new TSX will look modern for the next 5 years and will outsell the old car by a significant margin.

The aftermarket will step in with a bland grill, or you can buy the euro Accord grill.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Keeping emos out of

After viewing pics of the 09 TSX I really like the looks of the new car but am pretty much at the grill, but this won't stop me from hopefully buying a 2010 with the technology package next year
Old 06-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Hey Colin, any updates on the video brochure for the 2009 tsx. I check nearly everyday since you mentioned to expect it at the end of May. Awaiting very eagerly. Love the video drive so far. Godspeed to editing if its not yet completed!
Old 06-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I saw the car in person at the dealer, it looks good to me. By this time next year the 1Gen TSX will be described as frumpy. I have an 05TL. I remember when it first came out the 2gen TLers were bemoaning the design. Yet if you look at it now, the 2Gen TLs look like grandma cars.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
... There's simply no doubt that if Honda/Acura had designed a tasteful grill they would sell a few more TSX's to the buyers who are critical about such things.
Not disagreeing with you here, but I think if they'd been more "tasteful" and ... conservative ... in their redesign ideas, they would've earned more "looks like a Camry" and "looks like an Altima" reactions. Damned each way, I think they were, yes. :yoda:

at my 2006 looking "frumpy" in a year. Yeah, right, and a G35 looks "fat-@55sed." And the new BMW headlights look like Dory in Finding Nemo
Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
The truth is that the grill is a hurdle potential TSX buyers must clear in order to buy the car,

Doesn't it tell you something that there are so many people who have negative things to say? Some of you are acting as though these opinions shouldn't matter because their negative?? Their money is just as good.

Not every car released has this same reaction.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dom

Doesn't it tell you something that there are so many people who have negative things to say? Some of you are acting as though these opinions shouldn't matter because their negative?? Their money is just as good.

Not every car released has this same reaction.
Yes. It tells us that those people don't like the car. Just as it should tell you something that many of us have positive things to say about the car. And those opinions are just as valid. And although I happen to like the new TSX (and even like its grill), I will agree that it is a risky move by Acura to use that same style across its entire line of cars. It would be nice if they had given options like possibly a different style grill for type-s versions of the TSX and TL. Oh well, bottom line is life is short so buy what you like and enjoy the hell out of it....at least until the next model year
Old 06-02-2008, 08:55 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by deTSX
Yes. It tells us that those people don't like the car. Just as it should tell you something that many of us have positive things to say about the car. And those opinions are just as valid.

Don't think anyone is arguing that fact. But calling all the negative comments knee jerk and expect that these people will love the car once they see it in person is simply wrong IMO. I still don't like the styling. And it has next to nothing to do with the grille.

I just don't like the "if you think the car is ugly you must be nuts/over-reacting/knee jerk reaction" sentiment. But I completely understand that people love the design. Styling is subjective.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dom
Don't think anyone is arguing that fact. But calling all the negative comments knee jerk and expect that these people will love the car once they see it in person is simply wrong IMO. I still don't like the styling. And it has next to nothing to do with the grille.

I just don't like the "if you think the car is ugly you must be nuts/over-reacting/knee jerk reaction" sentiment. But I completely understand that people love the design. Styling is subjective.
Just as I don't like the "if you like this car, you must be overcoming all these hurdles and obstacles" sentiment. And expecting someone to "love the car once they see it in person" makes as much sense as expecting someone to hate the car because some magazine or website doesn't like the way it looks. Bottom line is you are 100% right that styling is subjective and I think we are arguing opposite sides of the same coin.... Love the car or hate the car; just respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinions.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
when i first saw the new tsx, i was appalled but that same reaction happened when they released the evo x. but then you will eventually accept for what it is. with the grill it still looks kinda weird when looking from the front, but from a side angle it looks really good. im not sure if i will get the 2g tsx because i think im still a sucker for a lil bit more umph.

anyways. the main thing is that You will have to accept for what it is. lol
Old 06-02-2008, 09:39 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by deTSX
Just as I don't like the "if you like this car, you must be overcoming all these hurdles and obstacles" sentiment. And expecting someone to "love the car once they see it in person" makes as much sense as expecting someone to hate the car because some magazine or website doesn't like the way it looks. Bottom line is you are 100% right that styling is subjective and I think we are arguing opposite sides of the same coin.... Love the car or hate the car; just respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinions.

But how many cars have threads over at MT or where ever that discuss specific styling cues where most are in agreement that they don't like. Off the top of my head I can think of 2 recent design cues. Bangle BMW's and Audi's new grille. Both of which many a people still have a problem with today.

Point being, negative discussion about a car isn't a good thing IMO. Sure some will love it and I think the 09 TSX is too good a car overall for the grille to negatively impact sales but I'm sure Acura would rather have their design universally loved than having it be a love it or hate it design.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Advanced

Personally....I could care less what the revies say or the opinions of the 1st Generation owners, I'm the one who has to drive it everyday and I'm the one making the payments. I think all of the haters are just jealous. It's always easy to put something down when you don't have it. Besides, why would 1st Generations haters even care what is in the 2nd Generation discussion board? I could care less about 1st Generation owners......I don't read their forum....think about it!

I say to all who have purchased any vehicle, we all made out purchases for a reason and for our own taste not what others think.....just my opinion.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:56 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

No one is telling you you made a bad choice or the 09 is a bad car. Just don't be shocked when everyone doesn't agree with you. Just as we shouldn't be shocked when someone buys the car.

Its an automotive DISCUSSION forum. The good and the bad, the positive and the negative. Not lets all sing kumb-by-ya and tell each other what great cars we have.

But you keep telling yourself we're all jealous.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Racer

Everyone....Please lets not get all worked up about who likes and dislikes the TSX. The bottom line is that for those who love it, they will buy it and enjoy and the one who don't, no big deal but lets not dwell on the things we don't like either. If I don't like something, I keep looking until I do find something I like and then buy it. I agree that some discussions and critical comments are healthy but the 2009 TSX has been out long enough and the whole discussions that they look like civics, Camry, the grill and the bland OEM wheels have been beaten to death and starting to sound really old...I mean REALLY old. If more points need to brought forward, please chime in as we all like to hear things that might have gotten overlooked, but there are only so many ways to hear..."hate the grill".

Besides, as I have mentioned in a seperate thread, I'd be curious how many hated the 09 TSX when it first came out and now actually love it or like it enough to wish they had one...I cannot begin to count how many comments that reads...must say I am starting to really like the 09 TSX....and that says alot. Some will never like the 09 TSX just like I will NEVER like a Infinity G35 and YOU WILL NOT FIND ME in their thread trying to convince people to hate their G35..they love it, I don't...That is why there are several car makers out there...otherwise we would all drive the SAME car....
Old 06-02-2008, 10:20 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

The point of this thread is to discuss opinions on the styling and people's general overall opinions of the 09. And to discuss how its being received by people who don't post here. The thread wasn't brought off topic by any means. If you'd prefer not to discuss this (this isn't aimed at anyone specifically) then don't come into the thread.

You guys have no idea how many

- TSX is slow
- TSX is bland
- Its just an Accord/Civic
- Why isn't there a V6

threads we've had to deal with here over the years. We didn't lock the threads and tell the haters to get lost. People are entitled to their opinion. So either grow a set or ignore the negative threads. But don't for one second think they won't be allowed. Unless extremely repetitive of course.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Racer

dom...I am not saying this thread was necessarly off topic but I think its getting pretty much a given that several people dislike the 09 TSX and thats fine but it seems that is all we keep hearing about. Not a single thread seems to go without hearing about the things people hate about the TSX. Couldn't we create a seperate thread where people can post the things they wish the TSX had or didn't have rather than having to read it time and time again. It can get depressing at times....
Old 06-02-2008, 10:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

See post #31.

I agree that threads should not be brought off topic and please let me or another mod know when that happens but this thread was pretty clear from the get go and its a worthy discussion.

Why is it depressing? Be happy with what you bought. The only opinion that should matter is yours.

I remember hearing everyday about how the TSX was underpowered about how it should have had a V6. But when I get it and drive that all that matters. I'm sure the same happens to you.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Racer

dom...I certainly will let you know if I do see any thread that I feel are getting off topic. Your point is certainly well taken that, its true that what really matters is what I feel as I do love the new generation of TSX, despite having an 06...my 09 arrives in two weeks. I think that you would agree that if someone kept tell you that your child looks hidious that eventhough you loved him/her, it would hurt your feelings nonetheless Now I now I didn't give birth to the TSX but you get the drift. Imagine....WOW, your wife is extremely ugly, or your furniture sucks, or those are pretty lame speakers etc... It can hurt sometime
Old 06-02-2008, 10:49 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 09TSX
dom...I certainly will let you know if I do see any thread that I feel are getting off topic. Your point is certainly well taken that, its true that what really matters is what I feel as I do love the new generation of TSX, despite having an 06...my 09 arrives in two weeks. I think that you would agree that if someone kept tell you that your child looks hidious that eventhough you loved him/her, it would hurt your feelings nonetheless Now I now I didn't give birth to the TSX but you get the drift. Imagine....WOW, your wife is extremely ugly, or your furniture sucks, or those are pretty lame speakers etc... It can hurt sometime

Do a search of threads from 04 through 06. You'll see that thats stuff us first gen owners went through day in and day out.

overpriced was another common thread. This is nothing new.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Racer

dom...I guess its nothing new then....we'll just have to suck it up and wait for current 2nd generation bashers to come around and see what the rest of us already see *smile*

BTW...Still can't understand why CANADA is the only country you have to pay extra for the auto transmission...that is just UNACCEPTABLE!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:14 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
04 tsx is underpowered too, so dont feel bad!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:38 AM
4th Gear

So, what's not to like, IMHO?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 AM
4th Gear

What's not to like, IMHO?

Old 06-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Banned

The outsider's negative opinions are also interesting because it shows that Acura is abandoning what little brand identity it had to begin with in favor of entirely different people.

Whereas the old cars looked like they were supposed to be fast the new models don't. The RL dropped the aero dynamic look in favor of a luxury look with horrifying results. The 1G TSX and 3G TL have grills that look like the front profile of an airplane. Airplanes are fast and light. The new TL and TSX grills look like cow catchers, which are associated with locomotives. Locomotives are slow and heavy but powerful and classy.

I suspect they're abandoning the "Japanese BMW" aim in favor of being a cheaper Lexus. It might be smart business but it leaves me with nowhere to go.

Quick Reply: Motortrend TSX Comparo Gallery and Grille Public Opinion