Input please! Looking at 2011 tax wagon with 128k miles

Old 03-17-2017, 11:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Input please! Looking at 2011 tax wagon with 128k miles

Hello! Looking at a 2011 tax wagon w/ tech package with 128k miles. 1 owner being sold by it from a used car dealer (non-dealer). Car does not have service records as it was bought at auction. So far known issues are stereo works but the screen is dark (doesn't work) and car needs new brakes all the way around. Both items I am told will be fixed before I buy it. Price is $11k. Question for the experts (you - I am not that technical): what should i look for / ask? is there a timing belt on this car which needs to be replaced at certain intervals? I bought a used TL as a place holder a few months ago and it runs great but needs front bushings, motor mounts, and a few other minor things - I'm selling it b/c I need more room...SO, wanted to see what I should be on the look out for! MANY THANKS in advance. Oh, the seller won't let me take the car off the lot to my mechanic, but I can bring my mechanic to the car (which won't happen - my mechanic is too busy being an awesome mechanic to his other customers) Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2017, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 133 Posts
it has a chain, not a belt so that shouldn't be an issue.
They are pretty reliable cars for the most part.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Really, there isn't much to look out for except the basics: Check the oil level and color. Make sure the transmission shifts smoothly up and down. Make sure the driveline is tight(no funny vibrations or clunks). Lastly, check all the electrics by hitting the blinkers, headlights, and playing with the radio. Oh and the very last thing is to make sure the keyless entry works and the power locks. These cars like to eat up door lock actuators.

If it drives great, don't hesitate, it is a Honda afterall.
The following users liked this post:
skierz (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 10:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Hmm... no service records, and no mechanic to check it out? I recommend getting a CarFax report on the car (and even CarFax is known to be incomplete at times). Also, check the car for any recalls -- a 2011 TSX (wagon or sedan) would likely have the Takata air bag issue. Check for TSBs -- the two I know of are a bluetooth module upgrade and the external windshield trim (known to pop off).

Also, everything @EuroRspec said, but oil color doesn't really indicate if it still has any life left in it. Just change the oil and filter, regardless. In addition, check ATF fluid level (yellow dipstick). ATF oil color, however, is meaningful, and if it's dark, it should be replaced (but it's not as easy to change as engine oil):

https://www.transmissionrepaircostgu...mission-fluid/

The TSX Wagon is nice to drive and practical, with surprisingly good visibility all around.

Last edited by WheelMcCoy; 03-18-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Add more info about oil
The following users liked this post:
skierz (03-18-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 267 Posts
While I agree with everyone thus far about Honda reliability, I would personally plan to set aside some funds to address common wear and tear issues for a car with 128K+ miles. Provided the engine and transmission are in good running order, plan for things like suspension/bushing replacement and possibly exhaust/catalyst replacement to name a few. Again, these are common wear and tear items to be expected for any car, but the inability to DIY will start hit the pocket books hard.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:43 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
While the 128k miles generally aren't a problem, the car isn't a steal and the dealer's attitude would make me want to pass on this car. Edmunds values this car at $7500 to about 9600 in average condition. The car takes a $3500 hit because of mileage.

What tires are on the car? Do they match? Are they "real" tires or some no-name crap just thrown on to sell the car? What is the interior condition like? What are the reasons that the dealer wants a premium?

I think that the Edmunds valuation is low, but this car needs something really good to make it stand out - no records, broken radio, bad brakes, sold at auction, now offered by a used car lot all adds up to a car that hasn't been well taken care of.

Search this Thread